• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Exploring the Benefits of BNI: A Direct Sales Networking Perspective

In summary, Mary is considering joining a direct selling group. She is hesitant because of the price, but she is open to the possibility.
DanielleQ
One of the girls that I am in a Direct Sales Networking Group with (there are 10 in our group, each from a different DS company) is a member of our local BNI chapter. She RAVES about it and has invited me as a guest to her next meeting, since it's her turn to do a presentation (she's a Unit Leader with PartyLite).

Besides the fee (I know it's a lot--I'm trying not to make that my only concern), does anyone have any thoughts or opinions one way or another on BNI?

If you haven't heard of them, here's the link, but do me a favor...please don't come back and post here..."$---!! No way!" I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I already know the cost. I'm trying to see the forest beyond the trees, so to speak.

Thanks you guys!

I'm not familiar with the organization, but asking some direct selling friends who may be.Meanwhile, how did you come to be a member of a direct marketing group? Sounds interesting and helpful!Thanks,Mary

I have my own opinions about BNI that I won't share... I am curious though... when she RAVES about it... what does she RAVE about? Does she like the social aspect of it and/or how much business has she gotten?... not just LEADS, rather leads that have resulted in shows/sales, etc. Also, at any point in time in that particular chapter, was there a PC rep? I know there can only be "one" kind of person in each group, so will you be the first?

finley1991 said:
I have my own opinions about BNI that I won't share... I am curious though... when she RAVES about it... what does she RAVE about? Does she like the social aspect of it and/or how much business has she gotten?... not just LEADS, rather leads that have resulted in shows/sales, etc. Also, at any point in time in that particular chapter, was there a PC rep? I know there can only be "one" kind of person in each group, so will you be the first?

Her first meeting last year (as a guest) resulted in 3 shows. Her next meeting, she booked 2 and now she is friends with a lot of the mens' wives, helping the men to shop for their wives and such. She is still booking from the shows at her first meeting. There haven't been any PC reps in her group and there isn't one now. If you and I were friends, would you share your concerns with me? Because I'm all for hearing anything that could help me make a decision either way (assuming I like what I see). I just didn't want to hear anythin about the price, because it IS expensive, no way around it.

CookingwithMary said:
I'm not familiar with the organization, but asking some direct selling friends who may be.Meanwhile, how did you come to be a member of a direct marketing group? Sounds interesting and helpful!Thanks,Mary
Mary, there are a lot of DS reps in my little city and a few of them are really good friends. Those friends got together and invited one DS rep per company to get together and do a little training and a little mini-show. 10 of us are currently involved. We also do a holiday boutique in Nov. The gist of it is that we meet once a month and bring at least 2 guests with us. One rep does their presentation and each of us has agreed to purchase a certain amount every month from the presenter. I can email you our guidelines if you want, since I know I've just made it clear as mud!

Last edited:
When I moved, I really looked into BNI to get business moving. You can be a guest for 2 meetings at each chapter before having to submit an application. It is costly (all said and done I think around $450-500 and then your lunch or breakfast at each meeting needs to be paid for as well).

It totally depends on the group of people and your willingness to "work" the chapter and other chapters. There are some great benefits, but I feel to really make the most of the group, you need to invest some time. Keep in mind you should meet one-to-one with chapter members fairly regularly, mandatory weekly meetings or send a substitute for your seat, and depending how active you want to be there are monthly "meet and greets". Oh yeah, you can't just join and take leads - you HAVE to give leads as well and in some cases that can be hard.

It can be a great way to boost your business, and I suggest you at least attend a meeting to see for yourself. I decided not to join for many reasons, and I've been doing just fine without BNI. There are organizations that do the exact same thing for free so you might Google business networking in your area and see what comes up. I think free is always better!

I was previously a member of BNI for almost 5 years in my previous profession, and I would love to be able to go back as a PC consultant if my schedule would allow. The cost is definitely a factor to consider, but you aren't just joining a club where the members buy from each other. At first, you'll find that you are doing business primarily with the members, but as they get to know you, you'll begin to get referrals of their friends and family, etc.

There is definitely a time commitment and as Missy said, the weekly meetings are mandatory. You can miss 3 meetings in 6 months and most chapters put a limit on how frequently you can have someone substitute for you. The reason is that the program works because it's based on building relationships of trust, not just casual acquaintance.

I'd recommend checking out a few chapters before making a decision. Each will have a different feel and personality. I'd also look for a group that had a fairly high percentage of female members.

I agree with all of the posts above. It can be a great way to generate leads in your business. I feel, though, after reading the posts above that each chapter is run differently. Since I have only had experience with one, that is what my opinion is based on and it wasn't so successful for me. Other chapters seem to have more success... I think it's really what the guidelines are.

I'd go with your gut and try it if you want. The reality is, no matter what the cost, say it is $600... and you get 6 shows out of it, your cost is covered and you break even and expand your business that much more.

Maria, I love your avitar. Im sorry im stealing, i just had to say, i love spongebob, and that is tooo cute!!!
ok back to BNI, never heard of it.. what does it do?

I belonged to a great BNI group with my previous career as a Personal Chef. When I transitioned out of that and into TPC, I didn't renew my membership for a lot of reasons. Monetary reasons, childcare issues, etc........
I give BNI the credit for making my Cheffing business a success. The leads I received were good, and I built a good reputation within the group. I'm not as convinced that the $$ and time I spent would have the same effect on my TPC business. If it interests you, I'd say go and check it out. BNI has special meetings where you can go and check it out, do some networking (take lots of business cards) and make a decision from there about joining. I think the best thing is that if you are in a group, no one else from your line of work can be in the group. The group I belonged to had 40-45 members - all from different professions, so it is a good way to get your name in front of alot of different people.

What is BNI?

BNI stands for Business Network International. It is a professional networking organization that helps members grow their businesses through referrals and building relationships with other professionals.

Is BNI worth the investment?

This ultimately depends on your individual business and goals. BNI does require a membership fee and time commitment for weekly meetings, but many members have found success in gaining new clients and growing their network through BNI.

How does BNI differ from other networking groups?

BNI is unique in its structure and focus on building relationships. Members are only allowed one representative per profession, meaning there is no competition within the group. Additionally, BNI emphasizes the philosophy of "givers gain," encouraging members to give referrals to others before receiving them.

What are the benefits of joining BNI?

Some potential benefits of joining BNI include expanding your professional network, gaining new clients through referrals, and improving your public speaking and networking skills. BNI also offers educational workshops and resources for members to improve their business practices.

Are there any downsides to BNI?

As with any organization, BNI may not be the right fit for everyone. Some potential downsides include the membership fee and time commitment, as well as the limited spots for each profession within a chapter. It's important to carefully consider these factors and weigh them against the potential benefits before joining BNI.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• NooraK
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • byrd1956
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • esavvymom