• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Exploring MailChimp: A User's Journey

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a new email marketing service called MailChimp. One person shares their positive experiences with the service, including its free option for up to 500 contacts and 3000 emails per month, as well as its detailed reporting features and different unsubscribe options. They also mention some areas for improvement, such as difficulty in identifying who clicked on links and the need to learn how to use the new service. Another person expresses interest in trying out MailChimp for their own business and asks for clarification on how to use it. The original person shares their process for customizing the newsletter and creating a sign-up form, and encourages others to try out the service due to its benefits and ease of use.
NooraK
Gold Member
Paulette mentioned this service recently, and I was intrigued. I have been using iContact, and love the reporting, but don't care too much for the cost. I decided to try it out this month for my newsletter, and thought I'd share my thoughts.

• It's free - Up to 500 contacts, up to 3000 emails/month is free, which is the same amount of contacts I'm paying for with iContact
  • It shows who opened the newsletter, whose email bounced, and how many clicks each link received
  • Different unsubscribe options - those who click unsubscribe can actually choose from "no longer interested," "did not signup for list," "inappropriate content," "SPAM," "other," or leave it unspecified
  • Hard vs soft bounce - with iContact, an address has to bounce 10 times to be removed fromt he list, regardless of the reason. With MailChimp, if they get back a message that the email address is just plain invalid, they remove it immediately - no wasting credits on an address that doesn't work

Could use improvement (but could be user error)
  • Who clicked - I have not been able to figure out who clicked the links
  • Editing the newsletter - while I am proficient enough in HTML to be able to make the minor tweaks I want to make in my TT newsletter, it's just that much easier to do it in a WYSIWYG editor
  • Having to learn something new :D

I am still exploring the site and learning how to navigate it. It's not that it's difficult, I'm just used to iContact. I'm working on updating the "Sign up for my Newsletter" code to put on my PWS, and hopefully I can get that to work right.

Re: MailChimpThank you for the info!!
I've been trying to decide about using a company! I just signed up for tastytidbits last mth and this will be my first time to send out the newsletter and I was wondering how I was going to be able to tell if I had any lookers!!
Thank you for this bit of info I think I will check them out!

Re: MailChimpI know 1 html code, that's it so yes customizing can be a challenge. The easiest way is when Joy has the "create your own" part of the site updated you can edit and customize much easier. Since I am paying for the service I did not want to also pay for i contact. I really like it so far. My goal this month is to call the people I know are opening it regularly and who I have not spoken to in a while.

Re: MailChimpA-HA!

I went went to TT, took the HTML code from the iContact tab, copied and pasted it into Notepad and saved it as a .html file (delete the *.txt that prefills, and add .html after the name you give the file). I then went to MailChimp, chose "My Templates" next to the big orange "Create Campaign" button. I clicked "import to my templates" and uploaded the html file I just created. I was then able to click "Edit template" and get a WYSIWYG editor of the email!

Last edited:
Re: MailChimp:eek: Are you speaking English? :)

I wish I understood. I'm sure it's something I could utilize for my business.

I'm especially interested in your comment about creating a "sign up for my newsletter option".

Re: MailChimp
chefjeanine said:
:eek: Are you speaking English? :)

I wish I understood. I'm sure it's something I could utilize for my business.

I'm especially interested in your comment about creating a "sign up for my newsletter option".

It's a lot easier than it sounds :D If you want to see the sign up form, you can peek at my PWS: /noorak

I'm not happy how it spaces out, but I haven't figured out how to fix it yet. I may have to contact MailChimp to see if they can offer advice.

Re: MailChimpJeanine...I was thinking the exact same thing!

Re: MailChimpGrrr... I played with it some more, and discovered that even though it looks like I could, I can't edit the actual text in the WYSIWYG part. :(

It can be a bit daunting, but it is doable. And since the service is free, you can't really lose with it. No more keeping track of people who want to unsubsribe, no sending emails in batches because your ISP won't let you send more than x number of emails at a time. And you can even schedule it to go out at a certain time in the future.

Re: MailChimp??? please explain

NooraK said:
Grrr... I played with it some more, and discovered that even though it looks like I could, I can't edit the actual text in the WYSIWYG part. :(

It can be a bit daunting, but it is doable. And since the service is free, you can't really lose with it. No more keeping track of people who want to unsubsribe, no sending emails in batches because your ISP won't let you send more than x number of emails at a time. And you can even schedule it to go out at a certain time in the future.

Re: MailChimpNoora, can you make the changes before saving it in Notepad?

Re: MailChimpWYSIWYG = What You See Is What You Get. A "design" view where you edit the text so that it looks just like what you want it to look like when you're done.I'm sure you could make changes before you save in Notepad, but you'd still have to kind of know how to find what you're looking for in the HTML code, which is what I was trying to avoid. I can do it, it's just annoying. Plus, you can edit the HTML code in MailChimp, too. What you can't do (at least currently) is edit the text in TT before you create the HTML code.

Re: MailChimpHey Noora-

How do you set up the "sign up for my newsletter" on the PWS? Was this soemthing that icontact did for you or something that you can share with us? I am trying to create more of an online buz with my customers. Thanks, for your help.

Julie :)

Re: MailChimpOk, I got all the way to where I SHOULD be able to edit in MailChimp, but it won't let me. I can see my newsletter, but I need to add in my top April sellers name and it won't let me. Any thoughts? I clicked on edit, but all I can do is highlight the area but it won't let me type a name.

Re: MailChimpAre you trying to look at it in the preview mode, or are you actually editing the HTML code of the newsletter? I have not found a way to edit in MailChimp (yet, at least) anywhere else besides the HTML code itself. I've been meaning to call their support, but haven't had time to do so.

To do the editing, go to where you pasted the HTML, and then find the text that you have to change within all the gibberish. It looks a bit overwhelming because of all the code, but all you have to do is look for that text abou the top host, and then change it.

Re: MailChimpthat is what I did too Nancy...

Re: MailChimpI am loving mailchimp! I was able to create a new campaign for the Mother's Day trifle bowl, paste in the pic from PC web site, add my own text and voila! HTML flyer to send to my list. :) And I was able to edit it in a very friendly view, not HTML code. I just don't know how to explain how to get there! If I do, I will let you know!

Re: MailChimpTIP for those of us who are not html literate...If you have a TTB subscription and want to send them thru mail chimp it is easier to do the "build your own NL" then after you "submit" it click edit. It will look like a word doc with all the font and color options. you then save it (or reset or something...) then download the HTML code and you can cut and paste that with all your editing done!SWEET!

1. What is MailChimp?

MailChimp is a popular email marketing platform that helps businesses and organizations send targeted and personalized email campaigns to their subscribers. It offers a variety of features such as email automation, contact management, and analytics to help users create effective and engaging email campaigns.

2. How do I sign up for MailChimp?

To sign up for MailChimp, go to their website and click on the "Sign Up Free" button. You will be asked to provide your email address, username, and password. Once you have filled out the form and clicked "Create Account", you will receive a confirmation email to verify your account.

3. Can I use MailChimp for free?

Yes, MailChimp offers a free plan for users with up to 2,000 subscribers and 12,000 emails per month. This is a great option for small businesses and individuals who are just starting with email marketing. However, they also offer paid plans with more advanced features and higher subscriber limits.

4. How do I create an email campaign in MailChimp?

To create an email campaign in MailChimp, first, log in to your account and click on the "Campaigns" tab. Then, click on the "Create Campaign" button and choose the type of campaign you want to create (such as regular, automated, or A/B testing). Follow the prompts to set up your campaign, including selecting your audience, designing your email, and scheduling your send date.

5. Can I track the success of my email campaigns on MailChimp?

Yes, MailChimp provides detailed analytics and reporting for each email campaign. You can track metrics such as open rates, click-through rates, and unsubscribe rates to see how your campaign is performing. This information can help you make improvements and adjustments for future campaigns.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookingwithlove
  • Flyers and Letters
Replies
Views
Humble Beginnings
  • babywings76
  • Flyers and Letters
Replies
Views
raebates
  • PChefPEI