• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Easy DIY Invisible Dog Fence Installation Tips - Save Money and Frustration!

In summary, anyone have one of these contraptions? They seem like they would be a great way to avoid having to dig a trench or anything like that around your property!
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
Anyone have one?

The actual brand Invisible Fencing runs $700-$2,000 depending on the size of the yard and "extras". Yikes!:eek: :eek:

My brother installed his own that he purchased from Wal Mart.

I don't want to dig into the ground all the way around our property by hand, but I heard that you can rent a pipe laying machine? Any help would be appreciated!

I have to do something. Our dog (just a year old) is driving me nuts! She loves to be outside, so she sniffs around forever before doing her business. In the mean time, I get tired of watching through the window, or at the door (which it's too cold to do now...) and I walk away. By then, she runs into the neighbor's yards and I *hate* that! We have a neighbor accross the street and their dog poops over here all the time. I swore I would NOT have a dog that does that...and now I do!! :cry: I feel bad for her, too, cuz she really WANTS to be outside exploring!

I guess my question is what brand do you have and how did you install it?

Never known anyone that had one but the only thing I heard is that there are certain dogs that the shock doesn't bother so they walk right through anyway.

Doh! I just noticed that I spelled invisible wrong in my title.... UGH! Sorry!

You could just delete the thread and start over...Meanwhile, my cousin is a vet and her husband is a dog trainer. They installed one of the first ones I had ever heard of, to great success. The worst problem was in teaching their (older) Belgian Terv. Since all corrections had always come from Jim, the very first time Drifter felt the shock, he turned around and nailed Jim. It was the only act of violence the dog ever performed in his life!Yes, some dogs can walk right through them but a lot of it all has to do with training.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You could just delete the thread and start over...

Meanwhile, my cousin is a vet and her husband is a dog trainer. They installed one of the first ones I had ever heard of, to great success. The worst problem was in teaching their (older) Belgian Terv. Since all corrections had always come from Jim, the very first time Drifter felt the shock, he turned around and nailed Jim. It was the only act of violence the dog ever performed in his life!

Yes, some dogs can walk right through them but a lot of it all has to do with training.

I don't know why...but that is sooooo funny to me!! My first thought was laughter, my second thought was that I was being mean laughing at him!!

Jim thinks it's pretty funny, too. (So do I!)
67302.gif
Now.It wasn't so funny the day it happened!

My inlaws had one for their dog. They have 6 acres. Did not cover the whole thing but alot. They laid the wires themselves. They said it was alot of work but once they got a system it was not too bad. The wire does not have to be verry deep. They used a straight edge shovel, one of them dug/wedged up the dirt and the other laid the cable. They did take a few days to do it and they switched off.

Kelly - it truly depends on the type of dog you have of whether or not they will honor it.I may have a few in my office here that I can throw up on E-bay for you (for work of course). I will check my inventory here and get back to you.They would be discontinued models at a very cheap rate and still work fine.I can't believe the high end of the prices you were quoted.I believe I also have 2 extra wire kits...checking my office closet now...

Last edited:
Ok Kelly, I have a SD-2050 Basic (Plus) Containment System (Innotek)...and 1 extra boundary kit (BD-25). Both New in Box.Both would cost you $125.00 (approx. - we can chat) - Retail was $200.00.

KellyTheChef said:
I swore I would NOT have a dog that does that...and now I do!! :cry: I feel bad for her, too, cuz she really WANTS to be outside exploring!

Never say never...well I guess you did not actually say it, ha!

We have dogs that come poop in our yard and it gets on my nerves so bad. Our is in our fenced in back yard and does not bother anyone but we have to put up with everyone elses. :D Ours doesn't even bark, my dad kept him for a few days and broke him from that thankfully when we first got him.

Oh, main kit has 500' of boundary wire (about 1/2 acre of coverage), 100 ft. of pretwisted wire (to the transmitter), transmitter, collar, training flags, hardware kit, training video. Boundary kit covers another 1/2 acre or 500'.It is a fairly easy install, we had this same system for awhile. System worked great, we now have border collie mixed dogs which will NOT honor this system, they blow through it. My brother's black lab DOES honor it.On the install, you can even lay the wire on the ground or just tuck it in certain places and let the grass grow over it.

Stella is a mix. For sure her father was black lab, but her mom was a Heinz 57 dog. The vet said she has a bit of everything in her. I can "see" beagle, lab, and shepard in her. She is pretty laid back, so I don't think she will blow through it. She could surprise me though!

Janet, I will probably PM or email you...I need to figure out if I would need the extra wire or not.

Thanks for the info!

KellyTheChef said:
Doh! I just noticed that I spelled invisible wrong in my title.... UGH! Sorry!
Shoot! That's okay! When I first read it, I thought it said Invisible Fog Dense! :eek: Go figure! I was like WTH does that mean???!!!:confused: yeah, if it's invisible, then how can it be dense!! LOL! Gosh, it's time for me to go put in my contacts and drink another cup of coffee, I obviously don't know where my brain is!:eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

KellyTheChef said:
Stella is a mix. For sure her father was black lab, but her mom was a Heinz 57 dog. The vet said she has a bit of everything in her. I can "see" beagle, lab, and shepard in her. She is pretty laid back, so I don't think she will blow through it. She could surprise me though!

Janet, I will probably PM or email you...I need to figure out if I would need the extra wire or not.

Thanks for the info!

Not a problem Kelly, whenever - I don't have them listed right now so I can hold them for you. They can be separated which would drop your cost a bit if you do not need the extra wire.

MissChef said:
Shoot! That's okay! When I first read it, I thought it said Invisible Fog Dense! :eek: Go figure! I was like WTH does that mean???!!!:confused: yeah, if it's invisible, then how can it be dense!! LOL! Gosh, it's time for me to go put in my contacts and drink another cup of coffee, I obviously don't know where my brain is!:eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Oh my, I just spit my tea all over - thanks alot Cathy!:rolleyes: :D :D

ChefBeckyD said:
Oh my, I just spit my tea all over - thanks alot Cathy!:rolleyes: :D :D
;) ;) my pleasure, my dear! :D And now, KG is having fun with it too on a whole new thread! Oh my! And I'm glad I finished that cup of coffee before I came back down to my office or I probably would have spit coffee out my nose, as I LOL over you telling me you spit tea all over. Oh what pictures our minds create!:blushing: :D

we have one of these systems and use it for our 2 dogs. It works VERY well...unless the wire gets cut because my hubby refused to bury it properly!! :) They know right where the boundary is and won't cross it, generally even if the fence isn't working....but they aren't dumb either, and if the fence goes too many days without working, they just have a BLAST!! One of our dogs would just run through when we first got it and take the hit, but we purchased a larger collar and didn't have that problem anymore. We also have a remote training collar for one of our dogs...I often think about putting that one on the hubby to get him goin in the morning.....:rolleyes:

jenne said:
we have one of these systems and use it for our 2 dogs. It works VERY well...unless the wire gets cut because my hubby refused to bury it properly!! :) They know right where the boundary is and won't cross it, generally even if the fence isn't working....but they aren't dumb either, and if the fence goes too many days without working, they just have a BLAST!! One of our dogs would just run through when we first got it and take the hit, but we purchased a larger collar and didn't have that problem anymore. We also have a remote training collar for one of our dogs...I often think about putting that one on the hubby to get him goin in the morning.....:rolleyes:
LOL!!!!!!!! too funny!

wireless fence by PetsafeWe have the wireless fence by Petsafe for our dog who is a golden retriever. It is the best investment we have ever made. There is a transmitter that you keep in the house and plug in and then the dog has a collar that the battery has to be replaced every couple of months.

We started with the intentions of being the kind where you put the wire in the ground. When we got to looking we were going to have to buy quite a bit of wire and I did not like the idea of having dig to put the wire in as we had plans of doing quite a bit of yard and dirt work around the house and if we cut a line I would not be happy. So we looked at the wireless one and decided to try it. We have also had friends and family members come and check out how it works and ask us tons of questions about them and then end up going out and purchasing one. I always joke that if we sell one more for the petsafe company I am going to write them a letter and ask for commission.

HTH Let me know if you like to know anymore information about the one we have.

JoLynn

jbarnhill said:
We have the wireless fence by Petsafe for our dog who is a golden retriever. It is the best investment we have ever made. There is a transmitter that you keep in the house and plug in and then the dog has a collar that the battery has to be replaced every couple of months.

We started with the intentions of being the kind where you put the wire in the ground. When we got to looking we were going to have to buy quite a bit of wire and I did not like the idea of having dig to put the wire in as we had plans of doing quite a bit of yard and dirt work around the house and if we cut a line I would not be happy. So we looked at the wireless one and decided to try it. We have also had friends and family members come and check out how it works and ask us tons of questions about them and then end up going out and purchasing one. I always joke that if we sell one more for the petsafe company I am going to write them a letter and ask for commission.

HTH Let me know if you like to know anymore information about the one we have.

JoLynn

Those are decent too - they have a round perimeter vs. a square one.

Kelly - if JoLynn is busy, I can also get you manufacturer information on those. ;)

janetupnorth said:
.....we now have border collie mixed dogs which will NOT honor this system, they blow through it. .....
I can absolutely vouch for that! I have two pure bred Bordie Collies and they could care less about the shock! (I personally think they rather enjoy it).

Our neighbor bought one for his dog...who would come and chase our calves and hurt them. My husband talked to him several times because he had killed several calves, so he put the "fence" in the ground and the collar on the dog. It worked for about a week and then the dog was over here again. Sadly, my husband ended up having to "take care of him" when he caught him with a calf down chewing the poor thing to pieces. I don't mind dogs coming over here as long as they don't bother our livestock, but once that starts, there is no turning back. We have always had good dogs who wouldn't venture far from the yard. If we caught them in someone elses yard we yelled at them and they would go home. It is nice to have animals that are trainable, but when you get one who isn't it is one problem after another.

that is the first time I had seen the fence. I am glad to hear that they do work. I personally want a real fence. I am more about keeping other people and their animals out than worried about mine going somewhere because we have always had good animals. However, right now I have 2 Shi Tzuhs and they run off every time they get loose. They have a good size fenced area, but I want the whole yard fenced.

A real fence is not an option here. It's a rather large yard anyways, but really NO ONE here has fences. We would look ridiculous, and I love the look of no fence.

Now, our last house was in a town where almost everyone HAD fences and I loved being able to open the back door and let our dog run and not worry about her!

janetupnorth said:
Those are decent too - they have a round perimeter vs. a square one.

Kelly - if JoLynn is busy, I can also get you manufacturer information on those. ;)
Yes! If you could PM or email me info on both types of fences, that would be great!! Thanks Janet!

We had one at our old house, but we never put it in our yard. My hubby ran it in front of the litter box and it kept our dog from having "snacks". Worked great.

KellyTheChef said:
Yes! If you could PM or email me info on both types of fences, that would be great!! Thanks Janet!

Kelly - just got home - late night tonight! I will send you information tomorrow from work to your e-mail.

1. What is an invisible dog fence?

An invisible dog fence is a system that uses underground wires or wireless signals to create a boundary for your dog. It allows your dog to roam freely within the designated area without the need for a physical fence.

2. How does an invisible dog fence work?

The system consists of a transmitter, boundary wire, and a receiver collar. The transmitter sends a signal through the boundary wire, creating an invisible barrier. The receiver collar worn by the dog receives the signal and emits a warning tone or correction when the dog approaches the boundary.

3. Is an invisible dog fence safe for my dog?

Yes, an invisible dog fence is safe for your dog when used correctly. The correction from the receiver collar is similar to a static shock and is designed to get your dog's attention, not harm them. It is important to follow the training instructions provided to ensure your dog understands the boundaries.

4. Can an invisible dog fence be installed in any yard?

Yes, an invisible dog fence can be installed in most yards, regardless of size or terrain. The boundary wire can be buried or secured above ground, making it adaptable to different landscapes. However, it is important to check with your local utility companies before digging to avoid any potential underground wires or pipes.

5. Can multiple dogs use an invisible dog fence?

Yes, multiple dogs can use an invisible dog fence. Each dog will need to wear a receiver collar, and their training will need to be done separately. Some systems also allow for different correction levels for each dog, depending on their size and temperament.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• etteluap70PC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefmary
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies