• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

The STELLA Awards~Have you Heard of the Outrageous STELLA Awards?

In summary, the STELLA Awards are a collection of the most frivolous and ridiculous lawsuits in the United States. They are named after Stella Liebeck, who famously sued McDonald's after spilling hot coffee on herself. This year's winners include a woman who sued after tripping over her own child in a furniture store and a man who sued his neighbor for running over his hand while he was trying to steal hubcaps. The most outrageous winner was a woman who sued a motor home company after crashing her RV while she was making a sandwich in the back. These lawsuits may be entertaining, but they also highlight the flaws in the legal system.
whiteyteresa
Have you heard about the STELLA Awards

Well, read this for a laugh

Time once again to review the winners of the Annual "Stella Awards." The Stella Awards are named after 81 year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonald's (in NM). That case inspired the Stella Awards for the most frivolous, ridiculous, successful lawsuits in the United States
Here are this year's winners:

7th Place:
Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $80,000. By a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little toddler was Ms. Robertson's son.

6th Place :
19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

5th Place :
Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, and Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed, to the tune of $500,000. In my opinion this is so outrageous that it should have been 2nd Place!

4th Place:
Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas, was awarded $14,500. And medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time by Mr. Williams who had climbed over the fence into the yard and was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

3rd Place:
A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, $113,500. After she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

2nd Place:
Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge . She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses

1st Place:
This year's runaway winner was Mrs. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mrs. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, (from an OU football game), having driven onto the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go into the back & make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mrs.Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising her in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded her $1,750,000. Plus a new motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons around.

Just wanted to share this

~

Thanks for the laugh, Teresa. Of course, once I stopped laughing I was very disappointed in the state of our courts today.

I wonder how many of these have been appealed (I'm sure ALL) and how many have been reversed.
I'm still a fan of the Darwin Awards... at least most of the winners aren't swimming in the gene pool any longer!

katie0128 said:
I wonder how many of these have been appealed (I'm sure ALL) and how many have been reversed.
I'm still a fan of the Darwin Awards... at least most of the winners aren't swimming in the gene pool any longer!

Katie I was just about to mention those! It is amazing what some people will do. :rolleyes:

This was just what I needed to read during a long week at work! Thanks!

too funny
im sure our system here in canada is just as bad rae, if not worse

whiteyteresa said:
3rd Place:
A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, $113,500. After she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.
~

When I worked at Burger King a while ago this lady's son spilled his coke, got the manager clean it up with a brand new dry mop, and then she fell on the non-slip carpet and tried to sue because there was no wet floor sign out but it was no longer wet. I am pretty sure that she lost her case, but it still one of those ridiculous law suits.

Unbelievable!!!

Kristi, the last entry, the ubiquitous cruise control listing, was the clue that this is a joke. Thanks for the Snopes link - even though the stories are all bogus, they're still funny!

See how gullible I am? I guess I've seen one too many "McDonald's coffee" judgments.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Kristi, the last entry, the ubiquitous cruise control listing, was the clue that this is a joke. Thanks for the Snopes link - even though the stories are all bogus, they're still funny!
They are a good laugh!

That is too funny!

1. What is "so offTopic but Funny"?

"So offTopic but Funny" is a popular game often played at Pampered Chef parties, where guests take turns sharing funny, off-topic stories or jokes while preparing and sampling delicious food.

2. How do you play "so offTopic but Funny"?

To play "so offTopic but Funny", the host or party consultant will usually start by sharing a funny story or joke to break the ice. Then, they will invite guests to take turns sharing their own funny stories or jokes while everyone continues to cook and eat. The goal is to have a fun and lighthearted time while enjoying great food and company.

3. Do I have to participate in "so offTopic but Funny"?

No, participation in "so offTopic but Funny" is completely optional. Some guests may prefer to simply listen and enjoy the stories and jokes, while others may want to join in and share their own. It's up to each individual to decide how they want to participate.

4. Are there any rules for "so offTopic but Funny"?

The only real rule for "so offTopic but Funny" is to keep the stories and jokes appropriate and respectful. This is a family-friendly game, so it's important to avoid any offensive or inappropriate content. Other than that, the goal is just to have fun and enjoy each other's company.

5. Can I share multiple stories or jokes during "so offTopic but Funny"?

Absolutely! If you have multiple funny stories or jokes to share, feel free to do so. The more laughter, the better! Just be mindful of the time and make sure everyone has a chance to participate and share their own stories as well.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedpals
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
Back