• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Easy Bake Oven for a 5.5 Year Old: Is It Too Young?

Inc., of Pawtucket, R.I.Hazard:Young children can insert their hands into the oven’s front opening, and get their hands or fingers caught, posing entrapment and burn hazards.
catlwilles
Gold Member
I'm thinking of getting my daughter an Easy Bake Oven for Christmas. She's five and a half and loves to help me in the kitchen. I know it says 8 and up on the package, so I was wondering if she's still too young for it. I've also seen recipes for it that use regular ingredients, rather than buying the mixes, so I thought I'd ask if anybody has any that they could post. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

I would LOVE an easy bake oven! If I find any recipes, I'll let you know...

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?q%5B%5D=easy+bake+oven&ls=re

Here is a link with like 57 recipes for easy bake ovens. Bon Appetite!

I wouldn't do it, as friend got this for her almost 6 year old and she's very helpful in kitchen and she got burnt on it. A couple other friends did same thing and basically took it away and out it up until old enough.

Also, I've also got smaller kiddos who I know would want to help/bake too, so that was a part of our decision.

I think this is a case of the age is a good thing.

Maybe others disagree, but I've got lists of recipes for EBO rather than buying there mixes, in case you want them, just send me an email.

Lisa

I think the idea of the Easy Bake is a lot better than the reality. My daughter got one when she was 6 and although she didn't get burned, it was a huge pain. She couldn't play without having adult supervision (= you have to stand there and watch her do this for a long time) and when you made anything, the portions were so tiny you couldn't share what you cooked. She played with it 2 or 3 times and then we went back to cooking in the real oven. The supervision requirement was the same but at least she was really cooking something the whole family could enjoy!

Also, those mixes are really expensive!

We have a brand new deluxe one in a box that DD got at 5 - I thought she was a little young. At age 7 it is still sitting...

I remember having one and sneeking the ingredients up to my room to make cookies in my closet. I'm luck I didn't burn down the house.

susan g said:
I think the idea of the Easy Bake is a lot better than the reality. My daughter got one when she was 6 and although she didn't get burned, it was a huge pain. She couldn't play without having adult supervision (= you have to stand there and watch her do this for a long time) and when you made anything, the portions were so tiny you couldn't share what you cooked. She played with it 2 or 3 times and then we went back to cooking in the real oven. The supervision requirement was the same but at least she was really cooking something the whole family could enjoy!

Also, those mixes are really expensive!

We have one and these are my thoughts exactly!

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. (To access color photos of the following recalled products, see CPSC’s Web site at CPSC Home Page.)

Name of Product: Easy-Bake Ovens
Units:About 1 million
Manufacturer:Easy-Bake, a division of Hasbro, Inc., of Pawtucket, R.I.
Hazard:Young children can insert their hands into the oven’s front opening, and get their hands or fingers caught, posing entrapment and burn hazards.
Incidents/Injuries: Since the repair program announced in February, Easy-Bake has received 249 reports of children getting their hands or fingers caught in the oven’s opening, including 77 reports of burns, 16 of which were reported as second and third-degree burns. Easy-Bake also received one report of a serious burn that required partial finger amputation to a 5-year-old girl.
Description: The Easy-Bake Oven is a purple and pink plastic oven that resembles a kitchen range with four burners on top and a front-loading oven. “Easy Bake” is printed on the front of the oven. Model number 65805 and “Hasbro” are stamped into the plastic on the back of the oven. This recall includes all units with the retrofit kit. The Easy-Bake Oven is an electric toy and is not recommended for children under eight years of age. Ovens sold before May 2006 are not included in this recall.
Sold at:Toys “R” Us, Wal-Mart, Target, KB Toys and other retailers nationwide from May 2006 through July 2007 for about $25.
Manufactured in: China
Remedy: Caregivers should immediately take the recalled Easy-Bake Oven away from children, and call Easy-Bake for instructions on how to return the toy oven for a voucher towards the purchase of another Hasbro product.
Customer Contact:For additional information, contact Easy-Bake at (800) 601-8418 anytime, or visit the firm’s Web site at The World of Easy-Bake - Ovens, Cake and Cookie Mixes, Recipes and Other Fun Stuff!.

This is from a recall they had. I used to have one as a kid and got burned as well. I also know of a few kids that have been burnt. Although it is a fun thought, it is also not the safest.

I had the old harvest gold one and my orange handle broke and I got burned as a child.I realized I don't have the regular one at home I have the "real meal" oven one for DD.

My niece has this Disney oven that you bake with ice no heat... she is almost five and loves it. Sh e always tells me she is Pampered Cheffing!! :)
Google it!

I got a hand-me-down for my daughter from my sister's step-daughter. We tried the mixes, they weren't very good. They were so small, and sometimes the food got scraped off getting the things out of the oven. I think it was too much of a hassle and would rather have the kids help me bake regular brownies. Then the whole family can enjoy it! :)

Maybe instead of an Easy Bake oven, you could use the money to buy her a child size apron and a kid's cookbook (Paula Deen has a new one out and there are many others available). Then the 2 of you could still enjoy cooking together in the "big kitchen".

Man, that stinks..I have nothing but fond memories of the one I had growing up...I LOVED it!
Oh well, probably is better to just use the "real" oven...

My cousin begged for and recieved a Mrs. Fields Baking Factory (because Easy Bake Ovens were "for girls" (with dramatic eye roll)) when he was about five. He used it supervised, and never got burnt, never had any problems. He played with it a few times a week for years. He never made more than about enough for a snack for him, and maybe to share a little with my aunt. I made him regular sugar cookie dough and portioned it out into tiny servings and froze it for him - he just rolled and cut and sprinkled and baked and ate (that's a lot of "ands" to start with a "just").Also, Jiffy mixes are smaller sizes than regular mixes, super cheap, and have powdered egg in them so you generally only have to add water.Only you know your daughter and the level of oversight you will realistically be providing. If you already bake a lot, it might not be worth it, like others have said, but if you only bake once a week or so, and can help her with it, it can be a fun "express baking" tool.(My younger brothers had some form of monster oven that was exactly the same concept (cooking over a lightbulb), only you "cooked" goo in pans to make rubbery worms and bugs. They were 6 and 8 when they got it, and never had any problems. The goo was a lot more expensive than Jiffy mixes or EBO-brand mixes!)

I like the idea of the apron and cookbook. My daughter got a children's cookbook from her great grandmother when she was 6. She is now 13 and still enjoys using it. Plus the food taste great - unlike the stuff from the easy bake oven. We got her one, she used it twice and then gave up. I also got her some smaller spoons and spatulas to use.

Someone here mentioned the Disney princess oven with ice baking.
We got this and it has been used one time. Really, the mix starts to set up without the ice even and the texture of te finished product was something my dd wouldn't touch (she is a picky one though).

I loved my Easy Bake Oven when I was growing up! LOVED it!

I remember getting burned on it too. So what? But I'm a bit old school on that. My feeling is getting hurt is how you learn. I wouldn't try to keep my son from something just because there was the possibility he could get hurt.
So - they get burned when they play with it.....put some antibiotic ointment on it, and talk about how to be more safe next time.

Okay - that just touched a nerve with me - Sorry!:eek: I see so many over-protected children who live their lives in fear of everything around them....I want my son to be a risk taker, adventurous and full of life. Sometimes, when I'm with him.....I don't even make him wear his helmet on his bike!:eek:

My daughter who just turned 6 got her Easy Bake Oven this past July LOVES it.....Although I don't just let her go at it alone....(just like in a real kitchen).... we have made a lot of (not so good) tasting fun treats......She thinks she is the best baker in the house. I am happy to have the website to get real recipes due to the fact that the ones you buy in the store are spendy and don't taste that good. I also have given her just a little of my brownie mix, or cake mix, or cookie mix....etc.... I guess what I am saying is my Daughter LOVES hers....YEs it does take adult supervision, but so what....they are fun....and I have never been sorry that she got it for a present.

The ones that were recalled are off the shelves as far as I know, and the new ones are almost impossible to burn yourself on. In My Opinion.....Buy it...enjoy it....and have fun with it!!!!

Related to Easy Bake Oven for a 5.5 Year Old: Is It Too Young?

1. Can a 5.5 year old safely use the Easy Bake Oven?

Yes, the Easy Bake Oven is designed for children aged 5 and up. It has been tested for safety and has features such as a locking oven door and a removable baking pan to ensure safe and easy use.

2. Is the Easy Bake Oven easy enough for a 5.5 year old to use?

Yes, the Easy Bake Oven is designed to be simple and easy to use for young children. It comes with pre-measured baking mixes and easy-to-follow instructions, making it a fun and hands-on activity for kids.

3. Are there any concerns about the heat or temperature of the Easy Bake Oven for a 5.5 year old?

The Easy Bake Oven uses a standard light bulb as its heat source, which is not hot enough to cause any harm to a child. However, adult supervision is still recommended to ensure safe use.

4. Can a 5.5 year old use the Easy Bake Oven without adult supervision?

While the Easy Bake Oven is designed for children to use with adult supervision, a 5.5 year old may be able to use it on their own with proper instruction and guidance. However, it is always recommended to have an adult present for added safety.

5. Are there any age-appropriate recipes for a 5.5 year old to use with the Easy Bake Oven?

Yes, the Easy Bake Oven comes with a variety of simple and fun recipes that are perfect for young children. These recipes use simple ingredients and are designed for easy preparation and baking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
baychef
  • magentablue
  • General Chat
Replies