• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dorothy Hamill Undergoing Breast Cancer Therapy

In summary, Dorothy Hamill, Olympic gold medalist from 1976, is being treated for breast cancer at the Kimmel Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins. Her prognosis is favorable, but she will miss some of the "Broadway on Ice" tour while she is having treatment. Brian Boitano, one of her good friends, will fill in for her beginning Saturday night in Sarasota, Fla.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Like every other red-blooded American boy, I had such a crush on Dorothy in 1976, when she took the Olympics by storm with her bouncy hair and the Hamill Camel. She has been the epitome of style and grace throughout her skating career. I hate cancer and this just makes me sad, but apparently, her prognosis is good.

For every celebrity that undergoes cancer treatment, though, there are thousands of regular schleps, like us, that undergo the treatments without any hoopla and fanfare. Remember them, too, for they are the reason we work so hard every May.

Hamill being treated for breast cancer

Fri Jan 4, 10:12 PM ET Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080105/ap_on_sp_ot/fig_hamill_cancer

BALTIMORE - Olympic gold medalist Dorothy Hamill is undergoing treatment for breast cancer. Hamill said in a statement Friday that she is being treated at the Kimmel Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins. The prognosis is favorable, but the 51-year-old Hamill said she will miss some of the "Broadway on Ice" tour while she is having treatment.

bio-action-dorothy-hamill.jpg

Olympic gold medalist Brian Boitano, one of Hamill's good friends, will fill in for her, beginning Saturday night in Sarasota, Fla. Hamill said she hopes to rejoin the tour in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., where it has shows Jan. 16-17.

Then 19, Hamill became America's sweetheart and a fashion icon when she won the gold medal at the 1976 Olympics. Her bright smile and bubbly personality made her a marketing dream — she was once listed as the "Most Trusted Sports Figure in America" by Ladies Home Journal — and her trademark wedge haircut sent girls across the country flocking to the hairdresser.

Hamill is one of seven U.S. women to win the Olympic gold medal. She also was a three-time U.S. champion and won the world title in 1976, and she has been inducted into both the U.S. and World Figure Skating halls of fame.

Hamill turned professional after winning the 1976 world championships. She joined the Ice Capades in 1977, and headlined that tour for eight years.

Hamill isn't the first Olympic champion to have cancer. Peggy Fleming, the 1968 Olympic gold medalist, also had breast cancer. She was diagnosed in 1998, but is now cancer free and is an advocate for research and awareness. Scott Hamilton, the 1984 men's champion, was treated for testicular cancer in 1997.

Like many American Girls, I wanted to be just like her...too bad I can barely ice skate. LOL

I'm sure she'll pull through as she is such a fighter.

Wow, I bow to her athletic ability! Still skating well at 51! She's not quite old enough to be my mom, but definitely older than me and I cannot skate like that!

KG, we will be thinking of her and the many others. My mom has survived breast cancer twice, skin cancer once. I know you are a survivor, and I just lost a former employee/coworker to cancer December 12th...attended his service on Dec. 22nd. My recruit also lost a family friend to cancer in December and I know people currently battling it.

A neat experience for my kids...last night at the Y there was a guy doing laps with a prosthetic left foot...attached halfway between the knee and ankle. My 6 year old DD asked him about it and luckily he was gracious enough to help explain it to her. (I've taught her to ask and learn and accept). He has a rare form of cancer in his foot a few years back and had to have it amputated but is doing great. He appeared to be late 30's...if that! It's amazing the functionality without part of a limb!

I remember seeing her on the t.v. and immediately telling my mom I wanted my hair cut just like hers. I had it cut, but it didn't look like hers. I never blew dry my hair at the age of 5, so no fluffiness. I just looked like a boy!

That's exactly what Dorothy says she thought when she looked in the mirror for the first time after having it cut!

JAE said:
I remember seeing her on the t.v. and immediately telling my mom I wanted my hair cut just like hers. I had it cut, but it didn't look like hers. I never blew dry my hair at the age of 5, so no fluffiness. I just looked like a boy!

LOL - I had a Hamill cut too! I'm trying to remember if it was before or after the Toni Tennille cut.:balloon:

And, I just have to say that this is a story that is close to my heart, as one year ago, one of my best friends 5 yr battle with breast cancer ended. Be thinking and praying for her husband Roy, and 5 yr old daughter, Kyley - this is a difficult time for them.

What type of breast cancer does Dorothy Hamill have?

Dorothy Hamill was diagnosed with invasive lobular breast cancer, which is a type of breast cancer that starts in the milk-producing glands of the breast.

How is Dorothy Hamill undergoing therapy for breast cancer?

Dorothy Hamill is currently undergoing a combination of treatments for her breast cancer, including chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and hormone therapy.

Is Dorothy Hamill still able to work while undergoing breast cancer therapy?

Yes, Dorothy Hamill has continued to work during her breast cancer treatment. She has even used her platform as a former Olympic figure skater to raise awareness about breast cancer and the importance of early detection.

What is the prognosis for Dorothy Hamill's breast cancer?

According to her doctors, Dorothy Hamill's prognosis is very good. Her cancer was caught early and she has been responding well to treatment.

How can I support Dorothy Hamill during her breast cancer treatment?

There are a few ways to show your support for Dorothy Hamill during her breast cancer therapy. You can send her messages of encouragement, make a donation to a breast cancer research or support organization in her name, or simply keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jasonmva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • ChefBeckyD