• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Don't Risk It: Check Your Insurance Before Advertising on Your Car

USAA!Just a heads up for some... be sure to check with your insurance carrier before you put any advertising on your car. The reason why is because once you put any advertising on your car, it can become classified as a commercial vehicle and the insurance changes. A friend of mine was advertising her direct-selling biz (not PC) on her car and was in an accident. Not only was she not covered because they said it was a "commercial vehicle" due to the advertisement, she was also ticketed for not having insurance. Even though she had a standard policy and proof to show it, everything was denied because of the advertising and she was ticketed due to lack of "proper
finley1991
Just a heads up for some... be sure to check with your insurance carrier before you put any advertising on your car. The reason why is because once you put any advertising on your car, it can become classified as a commercial vehicle and the insurance changes.

A friend of mine was advertising her direct-selling biz (not PC) on her car and was in an accident. Not only was she not covered because they said it was a "commercial vehicle" due to the advertisement, she was also ticketed for not having insurance. Even though she had a standard policy and proof to show it, everything was denied because of the advertising and she was ticketed due to lack of "proper" insurance.

Something easy to find out with a quick call to your carrier. HTH someone...

Last edited:
I have the Merrill logo piece to put on my car window, but I need to check with my insurance company before I put it on. From my understanding, if I list my name, number, web site, etc...that is considered advertising. If I just put the logo on my car, that could basically be the same as someone putting on a bumper sticker. Again, I have to confirm that with MY insurance to see if I have it straight, but "advertising" on your car is only advertising if you give people information they can use to connect with you on that level.

YES!!! Thank you for pointing that out... it is only considered advertising if there is contact info. Thanks again!

I just called my insurance guy. He said I am fine, not to worry about it. They must have different laws in different states. Thank you so much for the heads up though, I would have never thought about it.

Yikes, I have the merrill sticker and my website. But DH handles the car insurance, so I Have NO IDEA! I'd better let him read this...

I have an e-mail out to a vendor from another line who has her logo on her vehicle and numerous family vehicles. She says she has gotten a lot of business from this and I'm sure if it was a problem in our state she'd know.My only concern is that it might be hard to see out the back window, since I don't drive a minivan or SUV.Due to security concerns, it would just be my web site anyway.

Someone posted this concern awhile back in Kelly's thread about her decal. It must vary with different states/insurance companies. I'm okay here, my guy said it wouldn't be commercial since my car is used mainly for personal use not business.

finley1991 said:
Just a heads up for some... be sure to check with your insurance carrier before you put any advertising on your car. The reason why is because once you put any advertising on your car, it can become classified as a commercial vehicle and the insurance changes.

A friend of mine was advertising her direct-selling biz (not PC) on her car and was in an accident. Not only was she not covered because they said it was a "commercial vehicle" due to the advertisement, she was also ticketed for not having insurance. Even though she had a standard policy and proof to show it, everything was denied because of the advertising and she was ticketed due to lack of "proper" insurance.

Something easy to find out with a quick call to your carrier. HTH someone...

This policy must be more rigid here in MI - I had posted this same warning on another thread, and was sort of brushed off - but people really should check before doing it. And if you are in MI - definitely!!! Save yourself future headache and heartache!

My DH said "Thank goodness for Chef Success" boy is he right!

He'll be checking into it for me.

OK - I just spoke to my insurer, USAA. Here in Florida, because I use my car for business less than 20% of the time, it's ok to have the decals. Not only that, but the gal on the phone loves our Mix n Chop and took down my web address!!! Woo Hoo!!!

dannyzmom said:
OK - I just spoke to my insurer, USAA. Here in Florida, because I use my car for business less than 20% of the time, it's ok to have the decals. Not only that, but the gal on the phone loves our Mix n Chop and took down my web address!!! Woo Hoo!!!

The difference in MI is that it doesn't matter the % of time you use your car for business - it's based on the fact that you are using your vehicle to advertise your business. That's why it's so important to check!

And - Way to go Carolyn on the new contact!

Oh I have USAA too, but we live in NJ so still waiting...

For everyone in Texas, if you do have a window decal and are in an accident; insurance companies can deny any claims involving that vehicle unless you have a Commericial Liability Policy. I work for an insurance company, and I just called the Corporate office about it. There is another insurance company in my building, and I asked them; and they told me the same thing.

It also depends on the Claims Adjuster and Inspector. If they're in good moods and/or feel sorry for you they might accept the claim but that's a big chance to take.
Just some info I thought I'd share.

sklay723 said:
I have the Merrill logo piece to put on my car window, but I need to check with my insurance company before I put it on. From my understanding, if I list my name, number, web site, etc...that is considered advertising. If I just put the logo on my car, that could basically be the same as someone putting on a bumper sticker. Again, I have to confirm that with MY insurance to see if I have it straight, but "advertising" on your car is only advertising if you give people information they can use to connect with you on that level.
Certainly check with your ins. co. but that is how it works in Ohio as far as I know. (My SIL sells MK and that is what she was told)

I have usaa in ma and you have to have a commercial policy regardless of what is on the decal. If you have a decal promoting a business you will not be covered w/o commercial policy according to usaa insurance. bummer

I just got off the phone with my State Farm office. She said that as long as business use is less than 50% then I am ok. That is here in CA.

I did call my insurance agent the other day...they said I am fine as long as I am not using my vehicle more than 50% of the time for business! I am glad it's OK!

Each person should call their OWN agent...states will vary, and I am sure specific companies and policies will vary! Better to be safe than sorry!

Sarah...I have State Farm here in Ohio too!

vwpamperedchef said:
Oh I have USAA too, but we live in NJ so still waiting...
Ooh, could you let me know what you find out? I am in NJ, too... Maybe everyone else should post where they are, too... Even though Kelly has a point about us all calling our own agents, maybe we could save extra work if there are state laws in effect, or something like that.

Last edited:
Just called USAA and in NJ it is OK. As long as I am not carrying passengers. They did offer a protection plan for when I am demoing, but I said PC takes care of that!

Good to know.

Kelly, that is good to know ... I am switching to State Farm when it's renewal time.I did talk to my friend who has the logos ... she has always had commercial insurance and says it isn't that much more expensive. Also that the police have not ever told her she needed commercial plates ... and one cop even asked for a brochure so she knows he saw the signage!

I have USAA, too, and I called...I live in Florida like Carolyn, and I explained that I want to use my logo decal but I won't be adding any contact info (phone number, web site). She said that is perfectly fine, but that if I had contact information as well it would be in question based on how much of the time I was using the car for business purposes vs. personal use. Using JUST the logo by itself is no different than putting on a bumper sticker. I've always figured that for me, this is safer, since my web site is my full name (don't need to open that door since I'm usually traveling by myself or alone with my twin 2-year-old kids).

I have State Farm in WI - talked to my agent yesterday on an unrelated matter and asked him. It is fine in WI.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Kelly, that is good to know ... I am switching to State Farm when it's renewal time.

I did talk to my friend who has the logos ... she has always had commercial insurance and says it isn't that much more expensive. Also that the police have not ever told her she needed commercial plates ... and one cop even asked for a brochure so she knows he saw the signage!

You can switch insurance companies ANYTIME you want and cancel the old and start the new. They will refund your money if paid in advance and canceled. Do it when it is easy for you, not when your policy dictates.

It is always good to shop around every few years. I'm probably WELL overdue for that but I've been happy with my State Farm agent and service.

Yea...I haven't checked in a VERY long time (prices) but they are resonable and the few times we have used the insurance, it has been hasslefree! So, my experience with them and how they have taken care of us makes me stay with them and not shop around...

The only reason I'm planning to switch is that while S.F. is more expensive for car insurance than my current provider, the discount for having my car and house insured by the same company is ALMOST worth it.When I got my house insurance, they couldn't cover me because I didn't have a car at the time. (The old company continued to insure me because they didn't know my previous car had a dead engine and was really a little teal square in the junk yard!) Then I GOT the car and TRIED to get insurance over the phone. The agent wanted to meet in person ... wanted to see the "bill of sale" (it was a GIFT) or the title. Of course, I had neither. By this time, my current provider was ready to cancel me and even the State Farm agent was asking why I waited so long to pay them! So when it was time to pick up the car, I called my insurance company. They were more than happy to cover me without asking to see the title.So instead of paying more for the hassle, I'm hoping to save money with my current provider and change companies in July. I LIKE having two months without payments! I also USED to like their roadside assistance ... until one of their tow companies damaged my car and they refused to hold them accountable.

Di_Can_Cook said:
The only reason I'm planning to switch is that while S.F. is more expensive for car insurance than my current provider, the discount for having my car and house insured by the same company is ALMOST worth it.

When I got my house insurance, they couldn't cover me because I didn't have a car at the time. (The old company continued to insure me because they didn't know my previous car had a dead engine and was really a little teal square in the junk yard!) Then I GOT the car and TRIED to get insurance over the phone. The agent wanted to meet in person ... wanted to see the "bill of sale" (it was a GIFT) or the title. Of course, I had neither. By this time, my current provider was ready to cancel me and even the State Farm agent was asking why I waited so long to pay them! So when it was time to pick up the car, I called my insurance company. They were more than happy to cover me without asking to see the title.

So instead of paying more for the hassle, I'm hoping to save money with my current provider and change companies in July. I LIKE having two months without payments! I also USED to like their roadside assistance ... until one of their tow companies damaged my car and they refused to hold them accountable.

Some insurance Companies offer a discount for having home & auto insurance together.

I've never heard of that before, the only time you need your title is to reg it at Dept. of motor vehicle.

FYI: It is always good to "shop around". Now they do a credit check to see if you pay your insurance on time. If your credit is not so good then you may be paying for higher insurance. Here in NY if you let your insurance lapse the company submits it to Dept of motor vehicle to let them know that you DO NOT have insurance, you then get a suspension letter from them telling you that if you do not fix it your license will be suspended. They charge $8.00 a day until you get insurance.

Last edited:
I checked with mine and as mentioned above with SF it only applies if you drive your vehichle 50% or more for business. Well, since most of my mileage is considered business, I figured I'd better change mine because I don't ever want to be caught in a lie. Plus, it was only like $11 more for 6 months. No biggie.

But on a different note, my husband is concerned with me putting my contact info on my truck. He doesn't want cooks getting ahold of my name or number. If I do just my website, it has my first and last name on it. Have any of you had this concern?

c00p said:
But on a different note, my husband is concerned with me putting my contact info on my truck. He doesn't want cooks getting ahold of my name or number. If I do just my website, it has my first and last name on it. Have any of you had this concern?

COOKS should be getting your info!! I know LOL you mean weirdos...

I just have my website on there, if they are interested they will go there. Besides I give out my phone and website on my catalogs...

vwpamperedchef said:
COOKS should be getting your info!! I know LOL you mean weirdos...

I just have my website on there, if they are interested they will go there. Besides I give out my phone and website on my catalogs...

Can ya tell I've only had 1 cup of coffee??? LOL!! At least you knew I meant KOOKS instead of COOKS. What a dork!!!!! Anyway, never really thought about the fact that my info is all over the place with my catalogs. Guess I'll have to point that out!

Checked with mine in North Carolina and no changes are necessary, I'm allowed to put contact info on my personal car.

State Farm DOES offer a multi-policy discount. However, the car insurance is higher than my current provider ... so I'm just buying myself some time. Meanwhile, I'm happily insured by my previous provider.

I figure it was State Farm's dumb fault for being so insistant on having proof that I owned the car before they'd insure it!

Di_Can_Cook said:
State Farm DOES offer a multi-policy discount. However, the car insurance is higher than my current provider ... so I'm just buying myself some time. Meanwhile, I'm happily insured by my previous provider.

I figure it was State Farm's dumb fault for being so insistant on having proof that I owned the car before they'd insure it!

My SF used to want to see my cars when I changed them. But I've had a relationship now with her for.... *counting on fingers and toes* almost 20 years... so phone calls are all I need to do and my agent and her staff are so friendly and helpful whether I call or just pop in. They also cover my house and offer a lot of other incentives and insurances (like life and business)... other places may save me a few bucks but I'll stick with who I know and who knows me.

Just checked on MN and it needs to be considered business use. Wonder if you can write off the payment on the vehicle then also???
Schel

got my decal put on my car today!!!!

i will see how this creates business!!

I know this is an old thread...buuuuttt...
Would this be different if I had the magnets on my car? I mean, since they're completely temporary and not permanent like the decals (yes, I know the decals aren't forever permanent, but they are a permanent adhesive)

ShelbyMichalek said:
I know this is an old thread...buuuuttt...
Would this be different if I had the magnets on my car? I mean, since they're completely temporary and not permanent like the decals (yes, I know the decals aren't forever permanent, but they are a permanent adhesive)

Your best bet would be to check with your insurance person. The laws vary from state to state. Here in GA, having the logo and my contact info on my car, even permanently, doesn't change the classification on my insurance, or cost more.

NooraK said:
Your best bet would be to check with your insurance person. The laws vary from state to state. Here in GA, having the logo and my contact info on my car, even permanently, doesn't change the classification on my insurance, or cost more.
True - and here in Michigan,even if it's just a magnetic sign, it DOES change your classification and increase your insurance cost greatly. Like we don't already have the highest insurance rates in the nation...grrrr...

So everyone needs to check with their insurance agent to find out for their State what the rules are.

i have state farm and live in tx - no changes needed.

I love my decals. My van died this week. As we were starting our vehicle search I told The Furry Guy that I intended to get new decals to go on the new vehicle. Mr. Frugal, the guy who questions every expense, said, "Oh, of course." They've now been ordered.

1. Can I put advertising on my personal car without notifying my insurance company?

It is important to check with your insurance carrier before putting any advertising on your car. This is because it may change the classification of your vehicle to commercial, which could affect your insurance coverage.

2. What happens if I get into an accident while advertising on my car?

If your car is classified as a commercial vehicle due to the advertising, your insurance coverage may be denied. This means that you will not be covered for any damages or injuries, and could potentially be ticketed for not having proper insurance.

3. Do I need to have a special insurance policy for my car if I advertise my direct-selling business on it?

It is best to check with your insurance company to see if your current policy covers commercial use. If it does not, you may need to purchase a separate commercial insurance policy to cover your car while advertising your business.

4. Will my insurance premiums increase if I put advertising on my car?

It is possible that your insurance premiums may increase if your car is classified as a commercial vehicle. This is because commercial vehicles often have different insurance requirements and are considered a higher risk.

5. How can I find out if my insurance policy covers commercial use of my car?

You can simply call your insurance carrier and ask if your policy covers commercial use of your car. They will be able to inform you of any changes that may need to be made to your policy and provide you with the necessary coverage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
flemings99
  • sillylittlechef
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
pamperedgirl3
  • pampered.chris
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies