1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Don't cry in the air

1. janezapchef

janezapchef Veteran Member Gold Member

So, I'm back from my trip to Colorado to see my brother get engaged. It was an awesomely fun sibs weekend with all of my sibs and all of his fiance's sibs.

A little learning experience for me and anyone else who wants to know though...(Just to warn you, it's a little long)

On my way out, the first leg of my trip was from Cleveland to Chicago. Since I borrowed "Marley & Me" from my soon to be sister-in-law when I went out in January, I thought I'd better finish it so I could return it to her this time. VERY STUPIDLY, I decided to do this in the air. SPOILER ALERT: So, if you don't know already, Marley & Me has a very sad ending. I'm up in the airplane bawling my eyes out and apparently making myself good and congested in the process. Mind you, I was feeling fine before this flight! I land in Chicago and can barely see straight from all the congestion in my sinuses. Then, right back up in a plane to Denver. Now, if I was going somewhere at sea level, this story might have ended there, but I wasn't. We went up to Fort Collins, which I believe is a bit higher than Denver, then back to Colorado Springs, which I know is higher, then into the mountains, which are A LOT higher. So, my congestion level was about the worst it's ever been! I joked all weekend that I had given myself a cold by reading a sad book in the air. And, all weekend, pretty much everyone involved thought I was crazy and getting them all sick! Two more flights later, my face felt like it was going to implode from the pressure and I could barely breathe or hear.

So, today, I couldn't stand it any longer and finally went to the doctor. Lo and behold, my theory was correct. My doctor said it was pretty stupid to read something that would make me cry up in an airplane. Here's the medical explanation... Your mucus gets thicker up in low pressure to begin with, and the pressure change also shrinks your nasal openings. When you cry, you make more of all of that lovely stuff, and with the smaller openings it can't drain as easily. Compound that with not drinking NEARLY enough water (once I landed and all weekend), drinking alcohol (again, the weekend, celebrations, etc.) and being at a high elevation (we went skiing and at times were over 12,000 feet), and I am completely STOPPED up there! He said he's surprised I don't feel like I'm drowning, and I really do! My dad said I'm lucky I didn't give myself altitude sickness in the process from the reduced oxygen.

Oh well, now I know! And, I have an explanation for why it happened and why my brain was a little foggy all weekend (lack of oxygen, not the alcohol)! Just thought I'd share, lest anyone think it would be a good idea to read something sad 40,000 feet up!

Mar 20, 2009
  2. thecougchef

thecougchef Advanced Member

glad you arent sick! but this story mad me laugh :D
    i hope you trip was fun nonetheless!

Mar 20, 2009
  3. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

Moral of the story? Take a Calvin and Hobbes book to read on the plane!

I know from experience that it can be painful to fly with congestion...so OUCH! Sure hope you drain, and are back to normal soon.:D

Mar 20, 2009
  4. dianevill

dianevill Senior Member Gold Member

A tip someone gave me before traveling: take decongestant before you get on a plane, esp. if you have even a start of a cold, or if you're going to cry:cry:.

Mar 20, 2009
  5. kreaser

kreaser Advanced Member Gold Member

oh man....that's horrible..I can relate, Jane...last year when I flew for conference I was fine when I left..so I thought....took the flight and got to Chicago...then we stayed at the Hyatt Regency at the McCormick, so we were on the 33rd floor..Still fine that first whole day...
    Fast forward to the next day...went to get out of bed and had the bed spins so bad I thought I was going to die...
    I haven't been that sick in years...
    it took 2 full days to recover...needless to say, It wasn't my best conference..but I still made it through.

Mar 20, 2009
  6. sklay723

sklay723 Advanced Member Gold Member

Mucinex is my friend, especially when I plan on flying!

Mar 21, 2009
  7. pampered.chris

pampered.chris Veteran Member Gold Member

Wow, I am sorry this happened to you but it did make me laugh!!

I was on meds for bronchitis when I was going to San Francisco for the PC trip from the incentive in 06 and I felt horrible for the other passengers b/c I was just coughing and coughing. But I had been on the meds for over a week at that point and was no longer contagious, but they still gave me dirty looks.

8. janezapchef

Glad I could provide some comic relief! ;)
    The tips for taking a decongestant are good -- my doctor told me to make sure I squirt some afrin in my nose before my next flight, no matter how I'm feeling.

Mar 21, 2009
  9. janezapchef

So sorry to hear that, Karlene! Sounds like it was a doozy!

Mar 21, 2009
  10. pampchefsarah

pampchefsarah Senior Member Gold Member

Great advice so close to Conference! Also, I'm flying out to California in a few weeks (oh, wait, more like 2 and a half!!!!!!!), so I'll be sure to bring something funny to read!

11. gailz2

gailz2 Senior Member Gold Member

Never thought of the no crying in the air -- pretty amazing.

Mar 22, 2009
  12. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

I have very small ear canals - and so am prone to head congestion, and earaches...and my ears don't "pop" correctly from the change in air pressure when flying. My Dr. actually prescribes a decongestant for me to start taking a couple days before I fly. It's the only way I can fly and not be completely miserable for days afterwards.

Mar 22, 2009
Have something to add?