• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Learn from My Mistake: The Dangers of Reading Sad Books in Airplanes

In summary, Jane learned that her congestion was due to the fact that she was reading a sad book on her flight and that she needed to take decongestants before flying.
janezapchef
Gold Member
So, I'm back from my trip to Colorado to see my brother get engaged. It was an awesomely fun sibs weekend with all of my sibs and all of his fiance's sibs.

A little learning experience for me and anyone else who wants to know though...(Just to warn you, it's a little long)

On my way out, the first leg of my trip was from Cleveland to Chicago. Since I borrowed "Marley & Me" from my soon to be sister-in-law when I went out in January, I thought I'd better finish it so I could return it to her this time. VERY STUPIDLY, I decided to do this in the air. SPOILER ALERT: So, if you don't know already, Marley & Me has a very sad ending. I'm up in the airplane bawling my eyes out and apparently making myself good and congested in the process. Mind you, I was feeling fine before this flight! I land in Chicago and can barely see straight from all the congestion in my sinuses. Then, right back up in a plane to Denver. Now, if I was going somewhere at sea level, this story might have ended there, but I wasn't. We went up to Fort Collins, which I believe is a bit higher than Denver, then back to Colorado Springs, which I know is higher, then into the mountains, which are A LOT higher. So, my congestion level was about the worst it's ever been! I joked all weekend that I had given myself a cold by reading a sad book in the air. And, all weekend, pretty much everyone involved thought I was crazy and getting them all sick! Two more flights later, my face felt like it was going to implode from the pressure and I could barely breathe or hear.

So, today, I couldn't stand it any longer and finally went to the doctor. Lo and behold, my theory was correct. My doctor said it was pretty stupid to read something that would make me cry up in an airplane. Here's the medical explanation... Your mucus gets thicker up in low pressure to begin with, and the pressure change also shrinks your nasal openings. When you cry, you make more of all of that lovely stuff, and with the smaller openings it can't drain as easily. Compound that with not drinking NEARLY enough water (once I landed and all weekend), drinking alcohol (again, the weekend, celebrations, etc.) and being at a high elevation (we went skiing and at times were over 12,000 feet), and I am completely STOPPED up there! He said he's surprised I don't feel like I'm drowning, and I really do! My dad said I'm lucky I didn't give myself altitude sickness in the process from the reduced oxygen.

Oh well, now I know! And, I have an explanation for why it happened and why my brain was a little foggy all weekend (lack of oxygen, not the alcohol)! Just thought I'd share, lest anyone think it would be a good idea to read something sad 40,000 feet up!

glad you arent sick! but this story mad me laugh :D
i hope you trip was fun nonetheless!

Moral of the story? Take a Calvin and Hobbes book to read on the plane!

I know from experience that it can be painful to fly with congestion...so OUCH! Sure hope you drain, and are back to normal soon.:D

A tip someone gave me before traveling: take decongestant before you get on a plane, esp. if you have even a start of a cold, or if you're going to cry:cry:.

oh man....that's horrible..I can relate, Jane...last year when I flew for conference I was fine when I left..so I thought....took the flight and got to Chicago...then we stayed at the Hyatt Regency at the McCormick, so we were on the 33rd floor..Still fine that first whole day...
Fast forward to the next day...went to get out of bed and had the bed spins so bad I thought I was going to die...
I haven't been that sick in years...
it took 2 full days to recover...needless to say, It wasn't my best conference..but I still made it through.

Mucinex is my friend, especially when I plan on flying!

Wow, I am sorry this happened to you but it did make me laugh!!

I was on meds for bronchitis when I was going to San Francisco for the PC trip from the incentive in 06 and I felt horrible for the other passengers b/c I was just coughing and coughing. But I had been on the meds for over a week at that point and was no longer contagious, but they still gave me dirty looks.

Glad I could provide some comic relief! ;)
The tips for taking a decongestant are good -- my doctor told me to make sure I squirt some afrin in my nose before my next flight, no matter how I'm feeling.

kreaser said:
oh man....that's horrible..I can relate, Jane...last year when I flew for conference I was fine when I left..so I thought....took the flight and got to Chicago...then we stayed at the Hyatt Regency at the McCormick, so we were on the 33rd floor..Still fine that first whole day...
Fast forward to the next day...went to get out of bed and had the bed spins so bad I thought I was going to die...
I haven't been that sick in years...
it took 2 full days to recover...needless to say, It wasn't my best conference..but I still made it through.

So sorry to hear that, Karlene! Sounds like it was a doozy!

Great advice so close to Conference! Also, I'm flying out to California in a few weeks (oh, wait, more like 2 and a half!!!!!!!), so I'll be sure to bring something funny to read!

Never thought of the no crying in the air -- pretty amazing.

dianevill said:
A tip someone gave me before traveling: take decongestant before you get on a plane, esp. if you have even a start of a cold, or if you're going to cry:cry:.

I have very small ear canals - and so am prone to head congestion, and earaches...and my ears don't "pop" correctly from the change in air pressure when flying. My Dr. actually prescribes a decongestant for me to start taking a couple days before I fly. It's the only way I can fly and not be completely miserable for days afterwards.

1. What inspired you to write "Learn from My Mistake: The Dangers of Reading Sad Books in Airplanes"?

I was on a flight and decided to read a book that had been recommended to me. Little did I know, it was a very sad book. As I read, I found myself crying uncontrollably and causing a bit of a scene on the plane. After that experience, I realized the potential dangers of reading sad books on airplanes and wanted to share my story with others.

2. What do you mean by the "dangers" of reading sad books on airplanes?

Reading on a plane can already be an emotionally charged experience due to the stress of traveling. Add a sad book to the mix and it can intensify your emotions to the point of causing a disturbance or even a panic attack. It's important to be aware of this potential danger and choose your reading material wisely when flying.

3. Are all sad books off-limits while on a plane?

No, not necessarily. Some people may find comfort in reading sad books while flying, as it can be a cathartic experience. However, it's important to be aware of your own emotional state and choose your reading material accordingly. If you know you are easily affected by sad stories, it may be best to save them for when you are not in a confined space with strangers.

4. Can reading sad books on airplanes have any physical effects on the body?

Yes, it is possible. Extreme emotions, such as sadness or anxiety, can trigger physical reactions in the body such as increased heart rate, shallow breathing, and even headaches or dizziness. These can be exacerbated by the high altitude and lack of fresh air on a plane. It's important to be mindful of your physical well-being while reading on a flight.

5. Do you have any tips for choosing appropriate reading material for flights?

Yes, I do. First, consider the length of your flight and the potential emotional impact of the book you are considering. If it's a short flight, it may be best to choose a lighter, more uplifting read. If it's a long flight, you may have more leeway in choosing a more emotional book. Also, consider reading reviews or asking for recommendations from friends before choosing a book for a flight. And most importantly, always be aware of your own emotional state and choose books that will not negatively affect you while flying.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies
Views
chefann
  • babywings76
  • General Chat