• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Don Imus Suing CBS for $120 Million: Anderson Cooper Weighs In

In summary, Don Imus is suing CBS for 120 million dollars for them firing him, and people are debating whether or not he should get his job back.
pcchris
Silver Member
Well, now, isn't this special?!!?!?!
In reference to other threads where Don Imus' name came up...
I heard that Don Imus is suing CBS for 120 million dollars for them firing him!
I was watching Anderson Cooper on CNN and he was talking about it...seems that CBS wanted Imus to be contraversial, and now he's going to play that one right into court! Should be interesting to see what'll happen. DO you think he should get anything, or maybe his job back? (I don't know if that's an option...I know I wouldn't, but that's me.)

Sorry for the long post, but I had to say something, as I honestly believe that he was unjustly fired.

Why do you think he was unjustly fired?

That's funny, I hope he wins.

It is my understanding that CBS had the opportunity to edit the comments made by Don Imus before the show aired. I further understand that CBS had a five year $40 Million Contract. He was barely three months into that contact. He is suing for the remainder of the contract. Whether he wins or loses his suit will be a matter of contract law. I can't believe or rather I hope CBS did not sanction, suggest or encourage the derragatory remarks made by this person. I don't think this suit, his comments or this entire situation are funny. I think it is sad. I believe in free speech and a person's right to be as ignorant as they like. What is sad to me is the fact that there is sooo much ignorance.

Increase the Peace Educate

koeverson said:
Why do you think he was unjustly fired?

This is my opinion of the whole thing...Don Imus was fired from CBS because he made a comment derogatory to a specific race, only by using words that we hear all of the time from people of that race. Did he say something dumb? Yes he did. Did he apologize? Yes, he did. Did he hold up to his end of the bargain by meeting with the girls he insulted? Yes, he did.
Don Imus, along with the likes of Howard Stern, have the label of "Shock Jock". People listen to them because of that...because that's what they expect to hear. Personally, I do not listen to Imus, or Stern, because I choose not to. When someone makes a comment that others do not like, people have the right to get ticked off. What is not right, IMO,is that when other "influential people" get on their high horse and demand that someone gets fired, and then it happens. I'm really not trying to make this a racial thing...but I can't understand why when Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson get involved with something, everyone gives in. If Imus would have made a comment like "those girls are a bunch of dim-witted blonde bimbos", no one would have said anything, but because he said what he said about the Rutgers girls (who are mostly A/A), it was blown way out of proportion. And especially now that I found out that CBS expected him to say things that are contraversial, and had the ability to censor his comment, and didn't...I don't think he was treated fairly. I know it's not explained good, it's late and I'm tired. I just wanted to explain why I feel the way I do. CBS fired him because they knew they screwed up, and that's how they tried to cover their own behinds. Guess what? Their "covered behinds" are gonna get bit! LOL!!!!
(Sorry for the rant...but this is something I'm passionate about and no, I'm not racist!!!)

Wow - I just re-read my last post...it sounds like I'm mad...I'm really not...I'm just trying to explain! It's so hard to explain things when you're typing...you can't type with emotions...ya know what I mean?

I'm sure there are others out there that don't agree with my thinking, and that's okay! I'm willing to listen to other's opinions...I'm not that way.

No, I don't agree with you. I believe he was justly let go. People do need to be responsible for their actions and words.

If you were walking through a store with your mom and she started calling you a nickname...just by hearing it it doesn't grant me permission to then start calling you by that nickname. I am not an intimate member of your circle. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED!!!! No matter how many times or different ways you hear it!! Did I say it strongly enough?!! YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED!! As an A/A, we SHOULD not be saying those things to or about each other, but because we ARE in the intimate circle of trust we can!!

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED!!!

It may sound harsh, but it is just the way it is for now.

Okay, I get your point...but then let me ask you why it has to be this way?
People criticize the government, the president, reporters say nasty things all the time...but no one calls on them to get fired, you know what I mean?
And, I have more to say about the "intimate circle of trust"...what say you, Chef Kearns, about music artists spewing their songs with lyrics degrading women? Is that okay in your opinion, because the artists are A/A? I'm not trying to start an argument, really...I'm just fetching opinions. Thank you for your honesty about your feelings. I just don't get why "I'm not allowed", but you are. (Not a sarcastic comment...seriously!!) Will that ever change? What do you think?

And, isn't the beauty of our country that we are allowed our "Free Speech"?

Heck, Rosie O'Donnell spews her garbage everyday...and she doesn't get fired for it...oh yeah, that's another thread...sorry!

pcchris said:
Okay, I get your point...but then let me ask you why it has to be this way?
People criticize the government, the president, reporters say nasty things all the time...but no one calls on them to get fired, you know what I mean?
And, I have more to say about the "intimate circle of trust"...what say you, Chef Kearns, about music artists spewing their songs with lyrics degrading women? Is that okay in your opinion, because the artists are A/A? I'm not trying to start an argument, really...I'm just fetching opinions. Thank you for your honesty about your feelings. I just don't get why "I'm not allowed", but you are. (Not a sarcastic comment...seriously!!) Will that ever change? What do you think?

Why does it have to be this way? I don't know. It seems this is the way history has dictated it. Yes, we are capable of changing things, but let's get real. There is a whole "sub"group of people whose lives will never change no matter how enlightened the "rest" of us get. The Civil Rights acts/movements have allowed so many achievements, but it also widened the gap in SEVERAL areas.

From the moment our people were brought here on slaves ships stripped from our homeland our identity was taken from us. Our names, our dress, our music, our language. So we have constantly been trying to create an identity. Who are we in this land that hates us so (and there are places that I go today that I have to take a quick step back out of--so...nevermind)? Why do we choose degrading language as "our" language? I have no idea. I do not participate in that type of speech although I do understand from whence it came.

Will it ever change? In all honesty, NOT LIKELY! I have friends now adults around the age of 30 or so who tell me that I am okay to have as a friend, but they had started dating an A/A their parents would have put them out.

What does that happen? Why do people still tend to think that black men are so handsomely endowed? Why when I get my hair braided I feel as though I am on exhibit and everybody has to touch it?! Why are little black children more often ignored in school (unless they are causing trouble)?

There are a million why questions. The only thing we can do is live our lives with integrity. It is a cliche, but we have to "each one teach one".

Sometimes you don't realize how you feel about a situation until an external force causing you to examine yourself. Think about it. If you are a female and two elevators going your way open, one with a black male and one with a white male of similar dress...which one would your choose? Would you hesitate? Why?

I was getting on the elevator (me a female--I am not tall or particularly muscular) at the Sheraton in Chicago during a conference and have an older white lady move her handbag to the other shoulder then slide to the rear of the elevator. We were the only ones on the elevator. Why did she do that?

Can anyone answer those why questions? To me they seem a bit more important than why you cannot degrade black people/women with your language.

"This is my opinion of the whole thing...Don Imus was fired from CBS because he made a comment derogatory to a specific race, only by using words that we hear all of the time from people of that race. Did he say something dumb? Yes he did. Did he apologize? Yes, he did. Did he hold up to his end of the bargain by meeting with the girls he insulted? Yes, he did. "

First of all He call these young women "Nappy headed hos". Even in the African American community this is not a term of endearment. There is a lot, let me say that again, a tremedous amount of controversy over the N word being used as a term of endearment among African American. To me the N word is a word of HATE.

Second, he did apologize to the young Women and they accepted his apology. (Which is the Christian thing to do) I believe as a community we should forgive this man's ignorance and perhaps educate people so we do not have future generations of ignorance

Next Are you kidding me with this statement "If Imus would have made a comment like "those girls are a bunch of dim-witted blonde bimbos", no one would have said anything, but because he said what he said about the Rutgers girls (who are mostly A/A), it was blown way out of proportion."?

All this is not being blown out of proportion. This person offended a group women who had won the championship and his offense was regarding how they looked not their actions. While I think name calling is wrong to begin with calling someone a "dim witted blond bimbo" is like comparing apples to oranges.

I said this before and I will say it again, this issue of the law suit is a matter of contract law. As to black women being called "nappy headed hos" by a white man in America in 2007, we should all feel sorry and ashamed that we really haven't made much progress as a county, or as human beings.

Chef Kearns, I have HUGE respect for what you are saying. And all those "Why" questions go through my mind as well. And I know that me, as a white woman, could never fully appreciate the experience of being A/A in America. I am an idealist and, for the life of me, there is not a shread of understanding for the racist attitudes that STILL exist in our country. Though I do realize they will likely exist forever.

My husband recently forwarded an e-mail to me that I am including. It is long, but WOW, it is powerful!!! I hope you can at least appreciate the points being made.

TIME FOR JACKSON, SHARPTON TO STEP DOWN
Pair See Potential for Profit, Attention in Imus Incident

By JASON WHITLOCK, AOL Sports
Sports Commentary

I'm calling for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, the president and vice president of Black America, to step down.

Their leadership is stale. Their ideas are outdated. And they don't give a damn about us.

We need to take a cue from White America and re-elect our leadership every four years. White folks realize that power corrupts. That's why they placed term limits on the presidency. They know if you leave a man in power too long he quits looking out for the interest of his constituency and starts looking out for his own best interest.

We've turned Jesse and Al into Supreme Court justices. They get to speak for us for a lifetime.

Why?

If judged by the results they've produced the last 20 years, you'd have to regard their administration as a total failure. Seriously, compared to Martin and Malcolm and the freedoms and progress their leadership produced, Jesse and Al are an embarrassment.

Their job the last two decades was to show black people how to take advantage of the opportunities Martin and Malcolm won.

Have we at the level we should have? No.

Rather than inspire us to seize hard-earned opportunities, Jesse and Al have specialized in blackmailing white folks for profit and attention. They were at it again last week, helping to turn radio shock jock Don Imus' stupidity into a world-wide crisis that reached its crescendo Tuesday afternoon when Rutgers women's basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer led a massive pity party/recruiting rally.

Hey, what Imus said, calling the Rutgers players "nappy-headed hos," was ignorant, insensitive and offensive. But so are many of the words that come out of the mouths of radio shock jocks/comedians.

Imus' words did no real damage. Let me tell you what damaged us this week: the sports cover of Tuesday's USA Today. This country's newspaper of record published a story about the NFL and crime and ran a picture of 41 NFL players who were arrested in 2006. By my count, 39 of those players were black.

You want to talk about a damaging, powerful image, an image that went out across the globe?

We're holding news conferences about Imus when the behavior of NFL players is painting us as lawless and immoral. Come on. We can do better than that. Jesse and Al are smarter than that.

Had Imus' predictably poor attempt at humor not been turned into an international incident by the deluge of media coverage, 97 percent of America would've never known what Imus said. His platform isn't that large and it has zero penetration into the sports world.

Imus certainly doesn't resonate in the world frequented by college women. The insistence by these young women that they have been emotionally scarred by an old white man with no currency in their world is laughably dishonest.

The Rutgers players are nothing more than pawns in a game being played by Jackson, Sharpton and Stringer.

Jesse and Al are flexing their muscle and setting up their next sting. Bringing down Imus, despite his sincere attempts at apologizing, would serve notice to their next potential victim that it is far better to pay up than stand up to Jesse and Al James.

Stringer just wanted her 15 minutes to make the case that she's every bit as important as Pat Summitt and Geno Auriemma. By the time Stringer's rambling, rapping and rhyming 30-minute speech was over, you'd forgotten that Tennessee won the national championship and just assumed a racist plot had been hatched to deny the Scarlet Knights credit for winning it all.

Maybe that's the real crime. Imus' ignorance has taken attention away from Candace Parker's and Summitt's incredible accomplishment. Or maybe it was Sharpton's, Stringer's and Jackson's grandstanding that moved the spotlight from Tennessee to New Jersey?

None of this over-the-top grandstanding does Black America any good.

We can't win the war over verbal disrespect and racism when we have so obviously and blatantly surrendered the moral high ground on the issue. Jesse and Al might win the battle with Imus and get him fired or severely neutered. But the war? We don't stand a chance in the war. Not when everybody knows "nappy-headed ho's" is a compliment compared to what we allow black rap artists to say about black women on a daily basis.

We look foolish and cruel for kicking a man who went on Sharpton's radio show and apologized. Imus didn't pull a Michael Richards and schedule an interview on Letterman. Imus went to the Black vice president's house, acknowledged his mistake and asked for forgiveness.

Let it go and let God.

We have more important issues to deal with than Imus. If we are unwilling to clean up the filth and disrespect we heap on each other, nothing will change with our condition. You can fire every Don Imus in the country, and our incarceration rate, fatherless-child rate, illiteracy rate and murder rate will still continue to skyrocket.

A man who doesn't respect himself wastes his breath demanding that others respect him.

We don't respect ourselves right now. If we did, we wouldn't call each other the N-word. If we did, we wouldn't let people with prison values define who we are in music and videos. If we did, we wouldn't call black women *****es and hos and abandon them when they have our babies.

If we had the proper level of self-respect, we wouldn't act like it's only a crime when a white man disrespects us. We hold Imus to a higher standard than we hold ourselves. That's a (freaking) shame.

We need leadership that is interested in fixing the culture we've adopted. We need leadership that makes all of us take tremendous pride in educating ourselves. We need leadership that can reach professional athletes and entertainers and get them to understand that they're ambassadors and play an important role in defining who we are and what values our culture will embrace.

It's time for Jesse and Al to step down. They've had 25 years to lead us. Other than their accountants, I'd be hard pressed to find someone who has benefited from their administration.

PamperedChefDebi I read the e-mail you attached in your message and agree with so many of the statements. I have never thought of Jessie Jackson or Rev Al as leaders of the African American Community. Offten I disagree with the manner in which they choose to voice certain issues. For example I find it interesting that the Young women from Rutgers forgave Imus and two cleregymen did not and refuse to.

Indeed! I think Mr Whitlock's article says it all.

Amen. That's it.

I've been asking myself these very same things...since I was a small child. I asked my minister in church why in the song "God loves the little children of the world, why Brown, or tan people weren't in the song. only red and yellow, black and white?

Anyways, I have friends of all races. I still don't understand the many why's! I'm often times sterotyped as I"m a White person and most don't think the way I do? Our blood is all the same, I just don't get it?? Same with dating, it seems anyone can mix except black/white, I don't have a problem with that either.

NOt to hog the thread, but I took my best black friend to Cleveland, OH with me and on the way home we stopped @ 3 different restaurants and I had no clue why we were'nt being attended to, Sarah told me why it was and I couldn't believe it, especially where we were. I don't think it should happen anywhere, but especially not in mixed communities, I don't mean mixed, but all ethinticities. I'm sure thankful this world is made up of all different people as I sure would be bored with all the same!!!

I also ? why when A/A or black people are accused of a crime, it's always punishable to the worst, especially if crime commited towards a white person, but reverse the situation and the rich white kids get off, not every time, but most.

If people have problems with music lyrics, then they don't have to buy the music or allow it to be on TV or played, I've heard plenty of whites sing bad things, but how often are they ever targeted? Many of the rap artist's sing of what they know?? yet that seems to be a crime?? again Freedom of Speech!

The other thing that still really bother's me and I'll never understand is how in the world are KKK clans allowed to demonstrate,??? once again hurting other's feelings and directed towards a race, IS WRONG!!!

I can also understand Freedom of speech and controversy but not when it's degrading to anyone's race or ethinticity.

LIZ

Chef Kearns said:
Why does it have to be this way? I don't know. It seems this is the way history has dictated it. Yes, we are capable of changing things, but let's get real. There is a whole "sub"group of people whose lives will never change no matter how enlightened the "rest" of us get. The Civil Rights acts/movements have allowed so many achievements, but it also widened the gap in SEVERAL areas.

From the moment our people were brought here on slaves ships stripped from our homeland our identity was taken from us. Our names, our dress, our music, our language. So we have constantly been trying to create an identity. Who are we in this land that hates us so (and there are places that I go today that I have to take a quick step back out of--so...nevermind)? Why do we choose degrading language as "our" language? I have no idea. I do not participate in that type of speech although I do understand from whence it came.

Will it ever change? In all honesty, NOT LIKELY! I have friends now adults around the age of 30 or so who tell me that I am okay to have as a friend, but they had started dating an A/A their parents would have put them out.

What does that happen? Why do people still tend to think that black men are so handsomely endowed? Why when I get my hair braided I feel as though I am on exhibit and everybody has to touch it?! Why are little black children more often ignored in school (unless they are causing trouble)?

There are a million why questions. The only thing we can do is live our lives with integrity. It is a cliche, but we have to "each one teach one".

Sometimes you don't realize how you feel about a situation until an external force causing you to examine yourself. Think about it. If you are a female and two elevators going your way open, one with a black male and one with a white male of similar dress...which one would your choose? Would you hesitate? Why?

I was getting on the elevator (me a female--I am not tall or particularly muscular) at the Sheraton in Chicago during a conference and have an older white lady move her handbag to the other shoulder then slide to the rear of the elevator. We were the only ones on the elevator. Why did she do that?

Can anyone answer those why questions? To me they seem a bit more important than why you cannot degrade black people/women with your language.

See I should've finished reading the posts, but I still believe in what I posted as well but really agree with Debi's post too.

Liz

pcchris said:
When someone makes a comment that others do not like, people have the right to get ticked off. What is not right, IMO,is that when other "influential people" get on their high horse and demand that someone gets fired, and then it happens. I'm really not trying to make this a racial thing...but I can't understand why when Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson get involved with something, everyone gives in.

I agree with you here! Majority of the wordily would have no clue he even said anything if they did not jump on the band wagon and want more TV appearances and to be heard. I had NEVER even heard of Imus until they got all this in the media. And would have never known his comment if not for them.

Why don't they get started on gas prices? Maybe if they did the prices would go down b/c they seem to always get their way.

I am glad Imus is suing NBC b/c when they hired him apparently they new of his reputation and his off the sleeve comments. When they hired him they knew what they were getting but once something goes bad for them they want to get rid of him and assign no blame to themselves. Why don't the Rev.'s. demand something be done to NBC executives?

Also, think that it is HORRIBLE that the Revs have such a huge platform and use Rev in front of their names but you NEVER hear them talk of God and Jesus. Imagine the good they could do, if when they are in front of the camera they talk about saving Grace through Jesus Christ our Lord and that once every is saved and walks, talks and acts as God wants us all to act ALL of these problems would go away b/c if we act as Jesus did we would see everybody equal. Jesus is the answer to all these problems and they have the platform to bring Him to so many people but instead they just choose to put the Rev in front of their name b/c they think more people will listen to them.

jrstephens said:
Also, think that it is HORRIBLE that the Revs have such a huge platform and use Rev in front of their names but you NEVER hear them talk of God and Jesus. Imagine the good they could do, if when they are in front of the camera they talk about saving Grace through Jesus Christ our Lord and that once every is saved and walks, talks and acts as God wants us all to act ALL of these problems would go away b/c if we act as Jesus did we would see everybody equal. Jesus is the answer to all these problems and they have the platform to bring Him to so many people but instead they just choose to put the Rev in front of their name b/c they think more people will listen to them.

Good point!!

Sin
Chef Kearns said:

The answer - SIN! Sin is the reason people discriminate against certain races, genders, ethnicity. Sin is the reason we have shock jocks saying horrible things on air. Sin is the reason we have rap artists blasting derogatory and disgusting lyrics in their music. Sin is the reason this world is so corrupt and full of evil men and women who hurt one another.

50-75 years ago there was no such thing as shock jocks, people would get arrested for indecent exposure for things they wear to the beach, strip clubs were not rampant in the cities, and neither were bars.

Free speech unfortunately is available to all. And just as I am free to share Christ with people and pass out tracts, others are free to spew their hateful opinions on air or even in KKK marches. Do I agree with it? NO
Do I pray that it will get better? YES Will it get better? Probably not. People are numb to sin and with loose morals and no strong convictions in people, all we can do is sit by and watch this world deterioriate. But we don't have to be a part of it. PRAYER is a powerful weapon!

Debbie :D

I don't think "sin" is the reason why racism still exists. It's not a religious issue, it is a social issue.The answer lies in people's plain ignorance and stupidity. And how families raise their children.If people are close minded, angry, unwilling to be open to new peoples and different races and cultures, they they will raise their families to be the exact same way. They will also tend to surround themselves with those who think the same way they do.Birds of a feather, and all that.To really cure this country with that sort of thinking, ALL cultures, races, religions, etc., need to learn to accept each other.Because underneath the skin we are all the freaking same.

I have to respectuflly disagree with you there. Do you not think it is a "sin" to mistreat people no matter the color of their skin?

Of course I knew when I stated my opinion that Jesus was the answer to ALL problems and then it went to sin being the cause that plenty are going to disagree with my solution, but that is ok becasue I have no doubt in my mind that Jesus is the solution to all problems.

lizcooks4u said:
since I was a small child. I asked my minister in church why in the song "God loves the little children of the world, why Brown, or tan people weren't in the song. only red and yellow, black and white?

I've always sung it as "Red, brown, yellow, black and white"... :)

Sin
sailortena said:
I don't think "sin" is the reason why racism still exists. It's not a religious issue, it is a social issue.

The answer lies in people's plain ignorance and stupidity. And how families raise their children.

If people are close minded, angry, unwilling to be open to new peoples and different races and cultures, they they will raise their families to be the exact same way. They will also tend to surround themselves with those who think the same way they do.

Birds of a feather, and all that.

To really cure this country with that sort of thinking, ALL cultures, races, religions, etc., need to learn to accept each other.

Because underneath the skin we are all the freaking same.

You are right that families strongly influence one another and it was that way in my family. I was raised to be racist because my parents are that way. I tended to stereotype different races from my childhood because of my parents. But once I was freed from that sin because of Christ, I no longer have that problem with other people. I try to love my fellow man and to try to show them the love of God.
Sin is the transgression of God's laws. If we simply did as the bible commanded, so many things would not be messed up in this world. You are right underneath the skin we are all the same, all came from Adam and Eve, we are all God's creation. We are all sinners by nature and need Jesus to save us from ourselves. Once we are born again, saved, made alive to God and dead to sin, we can begin to love one another as God intended.
Thus racism would be abolished. I know there is no racism in heaven where all are perfect because of Jesus!

Debbie :D

1. What is the reason behind Don Imus suing CBS for $120 million?

Don Imus is suing CBS for $120 million due to his termination from the network in 2007. He claims that his firing was a breach of contract and that CBS did not follow proper procedures in terminating him.

2. Who is Anderson Cooper and why is he involved in this lawsuit?

Anderson Cooper is a journalist and television personality who worked for CBS at the time of Don Imus' termination. He is involved in this lawsuit because he appeared on Imus' radio show and made comments about the controversial remarks made by Imus, which ultimately led to his firing.

3. What were the controversial remarks made by Don Imus that led to his termination?

In 2007, Don Imus made derogatory and racist comments about the Rutgers University women's basketball team on his radio show, which sparked outrage and led to his termination from CBS.

4. What is the outcome that Don Imus is seeking from this lawsuit?

Don Imus is seeking $120 million in damages from CBS, citing wrongful termination and breach of contract. He also wants to clear his name and reputation, as the controversial remarks made by him have had a lasting impact on his career.

5. How has CBS responded to Don Imus' lawsuit?

CBS has denied any wrongdoing and claims that they followed proper procedures in terminating Don Imus. They have also stated that his firing was justified due to the offensive nature of his comments and the impact it had on their company's reputation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies