• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do You Ever Get Director Burn-Out?

In summary, the author says that they have been a director for 9 years and that they get burned out with their team monthly.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
Do ya'll ever get burned-out with your team? This month I'm not sure we are going to make the 4K - and I pretty much just don't care. If we don't, it will be month 1 for me - which is okay b/c I know that I will go into the new program on April 1st with my Director title and that it will be intact for 3 months after that. I'm just SO OVER my team (all but one of them). Missing the overrides won't be that big of a deal for me either. Since my team is relatively unproductive, I only make @ $200 in overrides on them (and my sales) anyhow.

I've got several fence-sitters that I'm working with, hopefully some of them will come to fruition and I can start getting some new blood on my team.

Oh Linda... I so hear you! Finally after probably 2 years, I finally have enough new blood to outweigh the ones that drag me down (emotionally and the ones who lack the sales but need the most help). So yes... I think you can get burnout. It's just working through it that is the challenge. :)PS: Not sure if that helped but I know how you feel. ;)

i feel you too Linda!! I have been a director for 2 years and no matter how often i recruit new i am always at one point in the year struggling to have 5! with just 2 plus myself we are well over our 4,000 but it is the 5 active that is a prob for me right now and honestly i don't know what else i can do....i love everyone one of my team members and want to see them succeed at which ever level they want but i am really trying to build up my show schedule that worrying about them is putting me over the edge....
hang in there {{hugs}} you are not alone!

TWO YEARS :eek:.....I've only been a director for 8 months and I'm feeling this way! I just feel like after striving to get my directorship that now I'm struggling each month to keep it. (kind of takes the joy out of it)

I am looking very much forward to the new program. Now that I'm locked-in to starting it with my Director title (even though I may be paid at a lower level) I can stop wasting my time focusing on the stressfull non-producing-team-members and focus my energies on the team-building and growing part and not have to worry about losing (to my director, who barely makes it each month herself) my star consultant AND my slightly producing-but-never-inactive-consultant AND my come and go consulant - the rest of them....I can now STOP breathing life into them (aka submitting waivers) and just focus on helping these 3 and adding more just like them!

I'm not trying to be a downer here (guess it does sound like I'm whining) I'm just frusterated. I feel better just geting that out - thanks for listening.

I think we all go thru this. Having this spot to share and vent a little helps a lot.

Linda, yes, yes, yes! I have been a director for 9 years and you will go through this more than once, unfortunately. Just tap into us and we can help you with either advice (that you probably know anyway) and most importantly, a shoulder to lean on and help prop you up again.

My first few years as a director were good, but now that I have a few motivated people, it is more of a steady cruise. Now my frustration is wanting them to grow and of course wanting to grow myself. I teach and coach as much as time allows, which sometimes is not much but still it is a strong will of motivation that has to come from within THEM to step up. So all the tools are laid out for them to build this wonderful business with the strengths that they have...and fear of some source makes them not pick up that hammer and start nailing. When I have a cure for that, I will bottle it and sell it!!! In the meantime, we have each other to lean on for support!
{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} and hang in there!

You're not alone!

Hey Linda:

About once a month. Seriously. I get so discouraged when they don't come to meetings, don't come to training, don't read their emails, and then whine when they don't have any bookings or worse yet don't know the policies/procedures. But it does get better. I found that if I just step up my business and do the $4,000 per month + when I can at least I am not stressing over that part. We'll see come April what happens. One thing I decided this year was that I couldn't work harder for their business than they do--it's like pushing a rope. And I pray a lot (seriously--I believe with all my heart that God has me in this business not only to share with and serve others but to refine me--that it changed my perspective when I started looking at it that way). Prayers for you this morning!

Nanisu said:
Hey Linda:

About once a month. Seriously. I get so discouraged when they don't come to meetings, don't come to training, don't read their emails, and then whine when they don't have any bookings or worse yet don't know the policies/procedures. But it does get better. I found that if I just step up my business and do the $4,000 per month + when I can at least I am not stressing over that part. We'll see come April what happens. One thing I decided this year was that I couldn't work harder for their business than they do--it's like pushing a rope. And I pray a lot (seriously--I believe with all my heart that God has me in this business not only to share with and serve others but to refine me--that it changed my perspective when I started looking at it that way). Prayers for you this morning!

You said it wonderfully! Pushing a rope without using your hands or feet!!!

Nanisu said:
Hey Linda:

Well Said! That's how I feel. I;m so tired of my team calling me (one person in particular) whining she has no money. Well when I invite her to the meetings or try to give her new ideas, she shoots me down and doesn't attend. She attends @40-50% of the mtgs. It's so frustrating and i take it personal like it's me.

I feel like saying "do NOT call me crying/whining about money if you're not doing anything about it." Right?

Oh yes Linda! I feel your pain.
I am really trying my best to follow the ol' "If you can't change your team, change your team." It's just so frustrating. My favorite is the consultant that told me "it's just dumb luck if you succeed in this business or not". Lovely.
LOL

SusanBP0129 said:
I am really trying my best to follow the ol' "If you can't change your team, change your team." It's just so frustrating. My favorite is the consultant that told me "it's just dumb luck if you succeed in this business or not". Lovely.
LOL

Were you able to respond to her or did she catch you off guard? I can so understand that I may not have responded to her initially because I would be busy biting my tongue completely off.:grumpy:

I am frustrated because I have someone that is one consultant away from being a director and 50% of her team is floundering. She had 3 RL leads in Jan. I asked her to let me help her sign and she has avoided my help. I know she wants to do it herself, but how do I get through to her? I stressed that these would be her consultants. I just seem to not find the right words and then I get frustrated and leave it. So I am at fault too.

SusanBP0129 said:
My favorite is the consultant that told me "it's just dumb luck if you succeed in this business or not".

:eek: Wow, what an attitude she had!

SusanBP0129 said:
LOL

there is nothing different about succeeding in this business (direct sales) than any other business. It all takes work. Some just don't want to work. It is the dumba$$ who invests in a business and never tries. And then blames it on bad luck. sheesh!!

can you tell I've had my share of this type of Consultant:grumpy:

Well you know what Thomas Jefferson said, "The harder I work, the Luckier I am!!"

pampmomof3 said:
I feel like saying "do NOT call me crying/whining about money if you're not doing anything about it." Right?

Then say it!!! Of course, you might not want to say it like that, but I'm sure you could come up with some way of asking her what she has been doing toward achieving her goals. I could definitely think of some ways to "help" someone with that attitude! Sometimes you have to back someone into a corner so they can see what they AREN'T doing to work their business.

Debi said:
Then say it!!! Of course, you might not want to say it like that, but I'm sure you could come up with some way of asking her what she has been doing toward achieving her goals. I could definitely think of some ways to "help" someone with that attitude! Sometimes you have to back someone into a corner so they can see what they AREN'T doing to work their business.

I agree! I do need to do but I can't do it without my voice shaking. I really HATE laying it out on the line and the really sucky part is my dh invited them over for dinner TONIGHT and I don't feel like talking!! I'm so ANNOYED by it but don't know or want to approach her. :(:(:(

pampmomof3 said:
I agree! I do need to do but I can't do it without my voice shaking. I really HATE laying it out on the line and the really sucky part is my dh invited them over for dinner TONIGHT and I don't feel like talking!! I'm so ANNOYED by it but don't know or want to approach her. :(:(:(

Well, if tonight is about dinner, I would try not to talk business then. It needs to be during a coaching session. Would your voice shake less if you led her to it versus telling her? You know, ask leading questions so she figures it out versus you having to actually tell her.

Debi said:
Well, if tonight is about dinner, I would try not to talk business then. It needs to be during a coaching session. Would your voice shake less if you led her to it versus telling her? You know, ask leading questions so she figures it out versus you having to actually tell her.

I agree that its personal time but it's like I don't know how to just hang around her. She's a great friend of mine but I feel us just slipping away from each other.

I have asked her lots of questions that she has to figure out herself but I think her and a lot of my team expects people to just call them. You have to treat PC as a job, if not, you're not going to get paid!

pampmomof3 said:
I agree that its personal time but it's like I don't know how to just hang around her. She's a great friend of mine but I feel us just slipping away from each other.

I have asked her lots of questions that she has to figure out herself but I think her and a lot of my team expects people to just call them. You have to treat PC as a job, if not, you're not going to get paid!

OK, I understand where you're coming from. That can be tough. Maybe before they get there, think back to before she was a Consultant and what the two of you had in common. Maybe that will help you remember what the original friendship was based on so you don't default to PC. Just trying to throw an idea out there.

I'm sure you do, but do you routinely share with your team what you do to keep your momentum? To help reinforce to them that they do have to put in some work? I have some of the same issues and I repeat myself alot. To the point that it almost becomes a joke BUT we both chuckle about it and they know I do have a point without me harping on them.

1. What is director burn-out?

Director burn-out is a feeling of exhaustion, frustration, and lack of motivation that can occur in individuals who hold leadership or management roles. It is often caused by chronic stress, overwhelming responsibilities, and a constant need to meet high expectations.

2. How do you know if you are experiencing director burn-out?

Some common signs of director burn-out include feeling constantly drained and overwhelmed, having difficulty making decisions, experiencing a lack of creativity and innovation, and feeling detached from your work or team. Physical symptoms such as headaches, digestive issues, and insomnia may also be present.

3. What are some ways to prevent or manage director burn-out?

To prevent or manage director burn-out, it is important to prioritize self-care and set boundaries. This can include delegating tasks, taking breaks and vacations, seeking support from colleagues or a mentor, and practicing stress-relieving activities such as exercise, meditation, or hobbies. It is also important to regularly evaluate and adjust your workload and responsibilities.

4. How can a company support directors to prevent burn-out?

Companies can support directors by promoting a healthy work-life balance, providing resources for stress management and mental health support, encouraging open communication and feedback, and recognizing and appreciating the efforts and achievements of their directors. It is also important for companies to regularly check in with their directors and address any concerns or issues they may have.

5. Is director burn-out common in the Pampered Chef industry?

Director burn-out can occur in any industry, including the Pampered Chef industry. However, the company values and promotes a positive work-life balance and offers resources for stress management and self-care, which can help prevent or manage burn-out. Additionally, the supportive community and team-oriented culture within Pampered Chef can also help directors feel less overwhelmed and more motivated in their roles.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• imported_pckrissy
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
imported_pckrissy
Replies
Views
finley1991
Replies
Views
baychef