• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do We Need Data Plan for New Web?

In summary, you don't need a data plan when using the app. You can use it offline on your iPad, iPhone, iPod, and Droid phone.
chefliz
Gold Member
I was under the impression from Spring Launch that we didn't need a Data Plan for an I Pad or I Touch...

ie: Our customer doesn't know their password for their WiFi-do we need the data plan for new web to work?

No data plan needed when using the app. That can be used offline on iPad, iPhone, iPod, droid phone.

Just finished reading all the FAQ's. If your host/customer will let you use her computer or you bring a laptop, then WiFi is needed. The apps only need WiFi to submit orders/shows, not to enter them. I definitely plan to go mobile and use my phone now since tethering is expensive!

so, if I was using an ipad at a host house and didn't have wifi, can I at least imput my order and get total like I do with P3 and then finish and submit when I am home? I am a new consultant and I love taking my laptop and putting in the costumer's info, getting a total (that I don't have to figure out) and then just finishing at home.

Rossana said:
so, if I was using an ipad at a host house and didn't have wifi, can I at least imput my order and get total like I do with P3 and then finish and submit when I am home? I am a new consultant and I love taking my laptop and putting in the costumer's info, getting a total (that I don't have to figure out) and then just finishing at home.

That is correct.

aPamperedBride said:
Just finished reading all the FAQ's. If your host/customer will let you use her computer or you bring a laptop, then WiFi is needed. The apps only need WiFi to submit orders/shows, not to enter them. I definitely plan to go mobile and use my phone now since tethering is expensive!

What is tethering? :confused:

This may sound dumb, but I still am unclear why we need wi-fi for a laptop but not the ipad, itouch, etc.I suppose I am showing my computer illiteracy, but this is very frustrating for me. :( Maybe I just don't know how the apps work?

chefliz said:
This may sound dumb, but I still am unclear why we need wi-fi for a laptop but not the ipad, itouch, etc.

I suppose I am showing my computer illiteracy, but this is very frustrating for me. :( Maybe I just don't know how the apps work?

You are not alone! For instance, am I correct that we can submit shows from an ipod touch, but there is no need for a data plan like you have to have for a smart phone? :confused:

chefliz said:
This may sound dumb, but I still am unclear why we need wi-fi for a laptop but not the ipad, itouch, etc.

I suppose I am showing my computer illiteracy, but this is very frustrating for me. :( Maybe I just don't know how the apps work?

We need Internet for the laptop because our system will be web based and to see our shows, etc we need to be online. The app is a tool that we can use even if we are not online. It allows us to see the products and take orders on a show and then syncs when it is on wifi again. I hope that helped...

The App....is an Apple based product and will only work on an IPhone, IPod Touch, IPad and Android Phones. You can use it offline to see the products and take orders at shows. Then it will sync with the Website when it is able to connect to WiFi again. So you do not have to have a Data plan to use the APP.

The Website.....you Have to be online to enter information into shows etc...using the website whether you use an IPhone, IPod Touch, IPad, Android Phone or any computer. You can NOT use it offline. So to utilize the Website at a show you have to either have a Data plan...for your phone or IPad.....or be connected to the internet through the hosts internet service.

I hope this helps.....

Thank you CarlaJanes and Bethcooks4u! This helps very much! I had already asked a question about the ipad before, but still had questions as the new website is now here. Also, I looked at ipads the other day and they mentioned a dataplan could be purchased. Then I thought "Oh no, if I go to the expense of getting an ipad, I have to get a dataplan for THAT too?!" I went into panic mode...so thanks again for your responses.

My iPad has the option of a data plan but most months I do not get it, in fact in a year I have paid twice and both times I got the minimum data and didn't use half of it. There is WiFi so many places that I find it's rarely needed. I wouldn't recommend paying the extra for the option unless you know you will be in places that don't have WiFi a lot.

BethCooks4U said:
My iPad has the option of a data plan but most months I do not get it, in fact in a year I have paid twice and both times I got the minimum data and didn't use half of it. There is WiFi so many places that I find it's rarely needed. I wouldn't recommend paying the extra for the option unless you know you will be in places that don't have WiFi a lot.

So I've heard consultants say they are happy to get the ipod touch because they don't have to get a data plan, but that is wrong information since wifi is very available. Are there any other limitations to getting the ipod touch rather than the ipad? Can one go online with the ipod touch?

Thank you, Beth, and Carla for all the help. I am sooo not techy and want to understand so I make the best purchase possible.

An iPod touch is like having an iPad, just smaller. You can go online using the Safari browser app and then use other apps as you desire. You can use Wifi with it and have access to the internet. So you can use the app when you have wifi service available, or you can use the app in the offline mode and then synch it the next time you do have service.

babywings76 said:
An iPod touch is like having an iPad, just smaller. You can go online using the Safari browser app and then use other apps as you desire. You can use Wifi with it and have access to the internet. So you can use the app when you have wifi service available, or you can use the app in the offline mode and then synch it the next time you do have service.

Thank you, Amanda! So the only difference is size and cost? Is there anything else that would make me prefer one over the other?

CarolynnLee said:
So I've heard consultants say they are happy to get the ipod touch because they don't have to get a data plan, but that is wrong information since wifi is very available. Are there any other limitations to getting the ipod touch rather than the ipad? Can one go online with the ipod touch?

Thank you, Beth, and Carla for all the help. I am sooo not techy and want to understand so I make the best purchase possible.

You are very welcome! I am in the same boat so have researched and asked MANY questions :) I'm saving for an IPad. I am getting an IPad because it is larger and these eyes aren't as good as they used to be ;)

CarolynnLee said:
Thank you, Amanda! So the only difference is size and cost? Is there anything else that would make me prefer one over the other?

It just depends on how you think you'd most like to use it. I have an iPod touch, but I'm saving up for the iPad because I want something smaller than my laptop to tote around, yet bigger than my iPod. The iPod is great for my car and plugging it into the speaker system and listening to my music, it's small and can fit in my pocket and be more discreet. However, the screen is small and after being on it for a while I feel cross-eyed. ;) If I could afford the data plan, I'd get an iPhone and then give the iPod to my kids, but that's just not how I want to spend my money each month. I'm still waiting for the PC app and the website to be out for me so I can try it out and see if I'll be happy with just using the iTouch at shows.

I just got my IPAD 2 from the Apple site through Pampered perks. It came all the way from China in less than a week and I am loving it. I ordered a case and portable keyboard, stylus and screen protector all from ebay for under $30.00. I am glad I made that decision.:love: These old eyes need a bigger screen than the iphone or ipod.

How much was the IPAD 2 if you don't mind me asking....

sure- it was $391.00 = free shipping but taxed

I felt that since I had no National Conference to go to this summer, I would splurge on the ipad to boost my business!:D

I'm a little nervous because if my wireless is down, which would mean down in my whole area (small, small town), I cannot run any business on my computer. I will not be able to search my shows if a customer calls me, I will not be able to search my personal/supply/show orders at all. I think there is only one wi-fi place in my town (library) but who wants to go sit in front of the library? I like P3 separate, but just my opinion. I'm sure it will be great when everything works.

Michelle, that is something I do fear will happen with many consultants. Not everyone has internet access or convenient access to it. Like you said, if a customer calls with a question, you won't be able to look things up to help. I really wish that they were developing the app as something that could be a database type thing for us like P3 is, so that at least it could have continual access to our info we've ever inputed and not rely on an internet connection to bring up histories.But we don't have the app yet and our tech guys probably will be tweaking things for a long time based on feedback. So I can't judge anything yet. I'll have to wait and see. I'll be fine, but I do worry about those who don't have internet.

I have very mixed emotions about this whole App based order entry system. First I have serious issues with Apple and their manufacturing processes (It amazes me that not one protest has been generated by the stories about the conditions in factories producing so many of our tech gadgets even when Apple announced its HUGE profits! It's fine for them to profit from human misery but banks are vilified for everything they do??) Second as we are already seeing (and I am a Sr Consultant so don't have the web tool yet) if the web is down there is no recourse for taking orders on the system! (At least with PP3 you can enter orders and wait until the internet is available again to submit.) Lastly the end of May is here and the fact that the next roll out to Team Leaders and Senior Consultant hasn't happened yet tells me there are still many issues to be worked out! Being a former Systems Administrator I SO understand all the issues related to a new system start up! I have a Blackberry which works fine (and I have an unlimited data plan and can tether my laptop if I am at a show and need to access the internet) so I am in no hurry to go out and drop a wad on some Apple product. I totally dislike being "herded!" Off the soapbox now!

mspibb said:
I have very mixed emotions about this whole App based order entry system. First I have serious issues with Apple and their manufacturing processes (It amazes me that not one protest has been generated by the stories about the conditions in factories producing so many of our tech gadgets even when Apple announced its HUGE profits! It's fine for them to profit from human misery but banks are vilified for everything they do??) Second as we are already seeing (and I am a Sr Consultant so don't have the web tool yet) if the web is down there is no recourse for taking orders on the system! (At least with PP3 you can enter orders and wait until the internet is available again to submit.) Lastly the end of May is here and the fact that the next roll out to Team Leaders and Senior Consultant hasn't happened yet tells me there are still many issues to be worked out! Being a former Systems Administrator I SO understand all the issues related to a new system start up! I have a Blackberry which works fine (and I have an unlimited data plan and can tether my laptop if I am at a show and need to access the internet) so I am in no hurry to go out and drop a wad on some Apple product. I totally dislike being "herded!" Off the soapbox now!
Sounds like you don't need the app since you can already tether your laptop. You will be all set. What I like about the app is that when out and about we can show people a picture of the product we are talking about and if they want to place an order we can do it right then and there (I don't have it yet but that is one of the things that they said that I am excited about).

We don't have to use apple products - the app will be available for Droid phones too.

Anyone who doesn't have access to the app can get on the web from any computer so if the host has one handy to the show we can log into hers or we can do as you mentioned and get internet access to ours either by tethering or asking the host if you can log into their internet. If there is no app and no internet we can write out the orders. I plan to have a "wish list" of the products handy so that I can double check prices in case I am in a situation where I would need to write orders out (I already do that if I am out and about - that, or I tell them I'll call with the info but then some of the time that sale is lost.).

babywings76 said:
Michelle, that is something I do fear will happen with many consultants. Not everyone has internet access or convenient access to it. Like you said, if a customer calls with a question, you won't be able to look things up to help. I really wish that they were developing the app as something that could be a database type thing for us like P3 is, so that at least it could have continual access to our info we've ever inputed and not rely on an internet connection to bring up histories.

But we don't have the app yet and our tech guys probably will be tweaking things for a long time based on feedback. So I can't judge anything yet. I'll have to wait and see. I'll be fine, but I do worry about those who don't have internet.

Those without reliable internet will just have to have really good paper documentation to help customers out when systems are down :(

where do you go to get the PC app for android ?

Remember the days when we didn't have a choice and EVERYTHING was done on paper? Technology is an ever-changing animal and has it's good and bad just like anything else. And everyone has to decide which system works best for them.

chefa said:
Remember the days when we didn't have a choice and EVERYTHING was done on paper? Technology is an ever-changing animal and has it's good and bad just like anything else. And everyone has to decide which system works best for them.
If only! Unfortunately, the decision is made for you no matter what you want. Right now, you have somewhat of a choice because the system isn't working properly for everyone. I for one, am in no rush. Make it WORK, then let me know. ;) I think PC learned a HUGE (and costly) lesson with this attempted roll-out in May. They seem to be doing it the "right way" now with the beta, and the broader field of REAL beta-testers for the App.

1. Do we need a data plan for new web?

It depends on the device you are using and the type of internet connection you have. Some devices, like iPads and iPod Touches, can connect to the internet through WiFi without needing a data plan. However, if you are using a device that requires a cellular network, such as a smartphone or some tablets, you will likely need a data plan to access the internet.

2. I was under the impression from Spring Launch that we didn't need a data plan for an iPad or iPod Touch. Is this true?

Yes, this is generally true. As mentioned before, devices like iPads and iPod Touches can connect to the internet through WiFi without needing a data plan. However, if you want to use internet features that require a cellular connection, like making phone calls or using GPS, then you may need a data plan.

3. If our customer doesn't know their WiFi password, do we still need a data plan for new web to work?

If you are using a device that can only connect to the internet through WiFi, then having the WiFi password is necessary for accessing the internet. Without the password, you will not be able to connect to any WiFi networks and will likely need a data plan to access the internet.

4. Can we use a data plan for new web on any device?

No, not all devices are capable of using a data plan for internet access. Some devices, like laptops and desktop computers, can only connect to the internet through WiFi or a physical Ethernet connection. It is important to check the specifications of your device to see if it is compatible with a data plan.

5. How much data do we need in a data plan for new web?

The amount of data you need in a data plan for new web depends on your internet usage. If you only use the internet for basic tasks like checking emails and browsing websites, a smaller data plan may suffice. However, if you stream videos or use data-heavy applications, you may need a larger data plan to avoid overage charges. It is important to assess your internet usage and choose a data plan that meets your needs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefjeanine
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • jcsmilez