• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do Gimicks Actually Increase Sales and Bookings?

In summary, raebates offers free gifts to her hostesses in order to increase sales and bookings. She also offers free gifts to her customers if they buy 10 tickets at her show or book before the show starts.
Hunter Mom
I read thread after thread of people offering prizes, doing games, etc. to boost bookings and sales. Things like the 12 Days of Christmas, Host Bingo, etc.

How many of you do these as a regular part of your business? Do you feel they really work long-term? Which do you use that work?

I never had much success or if I DID, it would cost me too much money in the long run and I wasn't making much - but I can't say how "regular" they were...since my schedule was sort of lite anyway. I gave up trying to keep track of the "gimmicks" and just stick to what the company offers. "K.I.S.S" principle!

I've had a lot of success when I offer other vendors at fairs a % discount if they place an order that day. Last month I had enough vendor orders to make a show! Other than that not much.

I only offer extra things if I am in serious need of shows....or want to book shows like no other to take advantage of double/triple points months/days.

Other than that I don't do anything extra. I only offer something extra like once a year...if even that.

It's rare that I offer something special. I make sure to let my customers know how amazing I find the PC products at regular prices and how fantastic the host benefits are. That said, I definitely find that the occasional thing I offer (like my Black Friday Sale) is worth it. Sometimes I'm after commissionable sales for points or for SAT levels instead of cash-in-hand commissions.

They do work, but in the end you're undermining your business and your ability to make money. I know some people say "you have to spend money to make money," but if you spend less of it, you keep more of it.

I do know a recently promoted AD in my area who does all kinds of promotions. He spends a lot of money on his team and on gifts to his hosts, and does really well. The flip side of it is that his business isn't as duplicatable. While he does get a LOT of recruit leads, it makes me wonder whether he's missing out on some because they don't want to put out that kind of money.

Most of my business comes from folks who know I will put on a quick show and not waste their precious time.
There are other folks who like more hoopla - I could never do a show like raebates does - so we all have a market, is how I look at it.

raebates talks about her show here
http://www.chefsuccess.com/f12/questions-rae-about-your-show-16925/

I do apologize for not wording this better, raebates! I do not mean to say you are wasting ANYONE's time. And I know for sure your sales are higher than mine! I just can't think of a word between 'entertainment' and 'quick' that applies.

My niche is small shows with less than 10 guests, and I'm a hobby consultant. My customer is the one-time PC host. I do not recruit, but I've had recruits fall into my lap.

Hunter Mom, know yourself and decide what kind of show you want to do...and thanks for your help in the RV thread I posted. Start with the PC kit you bought, and only expand if you want to! The online PC training is child/classroom oriented, don't let it turn you off though. Some good nuggets in there. NooraK is right - you have enough to do business with. If you add anything, make it your personality!

Thanks - I don't really do any of those things, but started wondering if I was missing out on something by not being gimmick-y. I believe that PC offers a great package of host benefits, and that is sufficient to most people.

I do offer a few things and it does work and it doesn't cost you a thing if it doesn't work LOL so I see it as a win win situation LOL

I offer free gifts to my hostesses if they do any of these 3 things they get a free gift (something under $5 and I put it on their order and use their discount).

10 BUYING guest at their show (this increases sales and gets me more bookings)

$150 in sales before her show starts (that helps my sales alot)

Booking before show starts (this increases my bookings because someone usually says yes after my demo also)

One of the free gifts can be a SB AND WITH THEIR DISCOUNT UNDER A $1 LOL

Bottom line is we ALL like FREE stuff and no matter what she gets free she will be happy and excited and you sales and bookings will increase at the same time!!!!

ShellBeach said:
Most of my business comes from folks who know I will put on a quick show and not waste their precious time.
There are other folks who like more hoopla - I could never do a show like raebates does - so we all have a market, is how I look at it.

raebates talks about her show here
http://www.chefsuccess.com/f12/questions-rae-about-your-show-16925/

I do apologize for not wording this better, raebates! I do not mean to say you are wasting ANYONE's time. And I know for sure your sales are higher than mine! I just can't think of a word between 'entertainment' and 'quick' that applies.

My niche is small shows with less than 10 guests, and I'm a hobby consultant. My customer is the one-time PC host. I do not recruit, but I've had recruits fall into my lap.

Hunter Mom, know yourself and decide what kind of show you want to do...and thanks for your help in the RV thread I posted. Start with the PC kit you bought, and only expand if you want to! The online PC training is child/classroom oriented, don't let it turn you off though. Some good nuggets in there. NooraK is right - you have enough to do business with. If you add anything, make it your personality!

No offense taken. I'm an entertainer at heart, and that comes through in my show. The most successful people in the business are nothing at all like me. One of the blessings of this business is the ability to adjust the business to fit your own personal style.

The really important thing to remember about gimmicks of any kind is that people will quickly get used to those. If I know that you're willing to give me 20% off every other month, why would I pay full price? It can also give the impression that you think the products are too expensive. An annual sale or occasional give-away comes across as what it is--a rare opportunity to get an even better deal.

I have tried different things to get bookings and what I have found is the more stuff I try the LESS bookings I get. I agree with the Keep it Simple idea.

Oh and I just read Rae's show outline again- I don't think she does gimicky things- just adds a ton of fun to her show. When someone says gimicky to me I take it as things that are specifically designed to get people to book- like giving away products, the booking tree, etc.

Rae- I was just saying that I was looking for a way to revamp my show now that I really need to have a consistant show schedule. I am trying your outline!

Last edited:
I am doing the 12 Days of Christmas Catalog Competition with a twist. Taking an idea I got from a Steve Wiltshire Teleseminar, I'm turning it into a "Pay it Forward Campaign". The 12 hostesses will still be collecting orders, but for every $100 they collect, they can nominate a needy family. I will be donating a portion of my commission (10%) and buying the a family Christmas dinner and some gifts. I made a few calls today (starting with my best past hostesses) and out of the 4 I called - ALL 4 agreed to collect orders! I can't wait to call more people tomorrow!

I realize that there are some of us who cannot afford to do things like this, in fact it's only because I just promoted to Director that I am giving this a shot. I am using the duplicate products I'm getting from my sample package as incentives for the prizes and am only donating 10% of my commission since my kids need Christmas dinner & presents too. But if you can swing it - I think it's worth a shot. People are in the "giving spirit" more during the holiday's and will collect orders if it's for a good cause. We are getting paid, they are getting prizes and host rewards and a needy family will get a Christmas to remember! WIN/WIN/WIN situation!

Kristina, what a wonderful idea! Can you give more specifics on how you'll do this...

kristina16marie said:
I am doing the 12 Days of Christmas Catalog Competition with a twist. Taking an idea I got from a Steve Wiltshire Teleseminar, I'm turning it into a "Pay it Forward Campaign". The 12 hostesses will still be collecting orders, but for every $100 they collect, they can nominate a needy family. I will be donating a portion of my commission (10%) and buying the a family Christmas dinner and some gifts. I made a few calls today (starting with my best past hostesses) and out of the 4 I called - ALL 4 agreed to collect orders! I can't wait to call more people tomorrow!

I realize that there are some of us who cannot afford to do things like this, in fact it's only because I just promoted to Director that I am giving this a shot. I am using the duplicate products I'm getting from my sample package as incentives for the prizes and am only donating 10% of my commission since my kids need Christmas dinner & presents too. But if you can swing it - I think it's worth a shot. People are in the "giving spirit" more during the holiday's and will collect orders if it's for a good cause. We are getting paid, they are getting prizes and host rewards and a needy family will get a Christmas to remember! WIN/WIN/WIN situation!

Great Idea! There is a Women & Children Transitional Housing Center here that I really admire for the ministry that they do. I've been trying to figure out how to do a fundraiser for them, and this sounds like a wonderful way to do that! I'm excited to get started on it now!!!

Kristina, what a wonderful idea! Can you give more specifics on how you'll do this...

I'm calling my past hostesses and a few select preferred customers (like those who have purchased over $100 at a time) and I'm saying:

Hi, this is Kristina Bailey your Pampered Chef Consultant. I wanted to tell you about the 12 Days of Christmas - Pay it Forward Campaign I'm doing this year. Participants pass around catalogs & collect orders and I'm donating a portion of my commission from the sales to give a needy family a full Christmas dinner. Would you like to participate and help out a local family?

Then when they say yes, I let them pick which "day of Christmas" they want to be - 2 turtle doves, 8 maids a milking, etc. I'll meet with them in person to give them their bags which will have catalogs, order forms, $10 stocking stuffer ideas for people and the attached info sheet about the campaign.

Attachments

• 12 Days of Christmas - Pay it Forward.doc
    81.5 KB · Views: 830
Thanks Kristina! This is truly awesome! Can you attach the stocking stuffer flyer? :)

sure thing! here it is

Attachments

• $10 Stocking Stuffers.doc
    51.5 KB · Views: 617
Did all of those people you contacted have a family in mind that would receive your Christmas dinner/gifts?

I do party games. I did not always do them, but since I started it increased my business. I do an on time drawing. It is just a fun question and answer period. I ask who RSVPed, who has never been to a party, who came the farthest... It really breaks the ice. I then do the ticket game, but with playing cards. I love the ticket game and will always do it. I then do a customer care card drawing. The things I give away are cheap on the Supply form. People tell me that they had fun. I also give additional cards to anybody who helps me with the recipe and also if they have something fun to say.

I have also given away bigger products to fill a date. There are specific rules to get the product. It is for a specific date only and not available if they rebook. I need their guest list by a certain date, they need to have x amount in guest sales, etc. I do not do it a lot, but it has help me in a lean month. I figure if I can give away a $15 product and it is a $500 show and I make at least 25%, I am still $110 ahead. I also make it very clear why I am doing it, ie, I have a goal or cancellation.

You have to do what you are comfortable with and stay within your means.

cheflorraine said:
Did all of those people you contacted have a family in mind that would receive your Christmas dinner/gifts?

i am still in the process of getting my hostesses lined up, but if no one nominates anyone, there are a few families my church that we want to help out.

1. Do "gimmicks" really work in cooking and baking?

As with any tool, it depends on the individual and their preferences. Some people may find that certain gimmicky tools, such as avocado slicers or pineapple corers, are helpful and save time in the kitchen. Others may find them unnecessary and prefer to use traditional methods. Ultimately, it's up to personal preference and experimentation.

2. Are gimmicky kitchen tools worth the money?

Again, it depends on the individual's preferences and needs. Some may find that the convenience and time-saving aspects of gimmicky tools are worth the cost, while others may prefer to stick with traditional methods. It's important to research and read reviews before purchasing any kitchen tool to determine if it will be worth the investment for you.

3. How can I tell if a gimmicky kitchen tool is actually useful?

One way to determine if a gimmicky kitchen tool is useful is to read reviews from other customers who have used the tool. You can also consider the materials and construction of the tool, as well as its functionality and versatility. It's important to also consider if the tool will actually save you time and effort in the kitchen.

4. Are there any gimmicky kitchen tools that are actually useful?

Yes, there are certainly gimmicky kitchen tools that can be useful for certain tasks. For example, a garlic press or herb mincer may seem gimmicky, but can actually save time and effort in preparing ingredients. It's important to research and read reviews to determine if a gimmicky tool will be useful for your specific cooking and baking needs.

5. Are there any downsides to using gimmicky kitchen tools?

One potential downside to using gimmicky kitchen tools is that they may not be as durable or long-lasting as traditional tools. This is why it's important to research and read reviews before purchasing any tool. Additionally, some may find that gimmicky tools take up unnecessary space in the kitchen and can be easily replaced by traditional methods. It's important to carefully consider if a gimmicky tool will truly be useful for your cooking and baking needs before making a purchase.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• leshelman
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • leshelman
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • afwife98439