• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Disappointing Workshops: A Personal Experience and How to Handle It

In summary, Becky had a negative experience in a workshop and is handling it by writing an explanation on the disappointing sessions to send to home office. The person who recruited her had great experiences in both Double Digit Recruiting and The Business of Pampered Chef workshops.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
Just got back from wave 3 - Loved the conference, but I actually had 2 workshops that were so disappointing - I walked out of them - and they were both ones that I REALLY wanted some good pointers from! They were "Double Digit Recruiting", and "Host Coaching". In the recruiting one, the speaker started out by saying (and I quote) "The Pampered Chef ISmy life, and you have to believe, and committ to that if you want to succeed!" Her recruiting methods were obnoxious (in my opinion), and I couldn't relate to her AT ALL, so I finally just got up and walked out.
The Host Coaching one, the speaker stated that a good way to get your host to give you their address list is to tell them that in order for the host they booked from to get credit, you must register the guest list w/ HO by a certain date......well when people started questioning lying to hosts, she spent some time trying to convince us that it wasn't really lying.....uh, YES IT IS!!! and just think - if you than recruited that host and they discovered how you had lied and manipulated them.......
I kept my evaluation sheet from both of those and am writing an explanation on them to send to home office....
I just wondered if anyone else had a bad experience in a workshop - and if so, how are you handling it??

On a happy note - I took the Belinda workshop (and LOVED the fact that she let us split payments on our orders....I bought the Step up to Success, and PowerHour!), and the Franklin Covey - they were both excellent, as was the Kitchen Show live! workshop. The girl who did that one has only been selling PC for 2 yrs, but she was incredible!

That sounds like the person who recruited me! I quit and rejoined a year later under some one else. I never received calls back nor did I get any help from her. She would tell me when I ask her questions to look things up on the website!

Becky, the evaluation forms that they give you to drop in the box after the class go to the presenter, and you do an evaluation online afterwards of your entire experience, so next time I would suggest just leaving her the evaluation slip so she would know what you think. I had recruiting with the stars and it was a good one, I'm glad I picked it instead of the double digit recruiting.

I was extremly disapointed in the PC.biz:Way to grow your business. While I thought the presenters were great...the information gave me nothing. I know that I was not the only one as many people walked out. I guess I had higher expectations of the workshop. I honestly cannot say that I picked up one piece of information. I suppose I needed a more advanced class and judging by the people leaving, I am not the only one.

I attending wave 3 and also took Double Digit Recruiting. The session I was in was very very good. I learned so many great tips that I will start to use at my shows including the "why bag." Basically she has a gift bag and inside it she has items that explain why she started Pampered Chef and why she loves and continues her business. Things she pulled out of the bag included photos of her kids, a mini cruise ship (she went on this year's PC cruise), her tax accountant's business card (basically explaining about all the great deductions she enjoys owning her own business), play money (she tells guests what she makes on average at each show).

I really like this idea and think it will really help me show all my customers what PC does for me and it may spark interest in the business.

Another consultant in my cluster also went to Double Digit Recruiting (a different session than mine) and thought hers was excellent as well. I forget how many times they offered that workshop but I remember seeing it several times and in several rooms simultaneously. It's too bad that you had such a bad presenter. It just goes to show that being a good presenter makes all the difference in the world.

I too, was also quite disappointed in PC.biz. I agree that I learned nothing new. I had such high hopes in this workshop. And it was my very first workshop of the conference.

I actually only had one workshop that I didn't really find helpful. After being in PC for 8 years and attending all conferences, I have always felt like NC workshops were very generic since there are a wide range of consultants (experience-wise and levels). I understand their need to appeal to a wide audience but I still have felt the content lacking. I took Double Digit Recruiting (Wave 2) and really didn't like it. For some reason I felt that saying "double digit" was about taking your recruiting to the next level. You know....when you first start recruiting it's one or two here and there (single digits). Double digit said to me...."now that you are recruiting here's something to kick it up a notch".

Other than that one workshop...I walked away with some really great ideas that I hadn't heard before.

I took both of Belinda Ellsworth's classes. (Have traveled to see her 4 other times!) She is incredible!! If you don't walk away from her workshops with great ideas then you just weren't listening!! For anyone that didn't get to go to conference....borrow her tapes from someone, check out her website and buy your own, whatever you need to do.

As for contacting HO with evaluations of workshops....keep in mind that the same workshops were offered by different consultants at each wave. Make sure that you include the names of who spoke or the time and room that you saw it. The home office tapes EACH workshop and listens to them. Then they choose the best to be made into a CD. If you are concerned about a consultant's ethics (regarding what they are saying to hosts) make sure you note that and who said it. They need to know these things.

Cara said:
I attending wave 3 and also took Double Digit Recruiting. The session I was in was very very good. I learned so many great tips that I will start to use at my shows including the "why bag." Basically she has a gift bag and inside it she has items that explain why she started Pampered Chef and why she loves and continues her business. Things she pulled out of the bag included photos of her kids, a mini cruise ship (she went on this year's PC cruise), her tax accountant's business card (basically explaining about all the great deductions she enjoys owning her own business), play money (she tells guests what she makes on average at each show).

I really like this idea and think it will really help me show all my customers what PC does for me and it may spark interest in the business.

Another consultant in my cluster also went to Double Digit Recruiting (a different session than mine) and thought hers was excellent as well. I forget how many times they offered that workshop but I remember seeing it several times and in several rooms simultaneously. It's too bad that you had such a bad presenter. It just goes to show that being a good presenter makes all the difference in the world.

Cara - a couple other women in my cluster went at a different time and loved it too - my biggest disappointment was that I changed my schedule when I arrived to specifically take Double Digit Recruiting- and was really expecting something great! Oh Well, I'll buy the tape of the best one!

Did anyone else take the PChef and Another Job workshop on Day 1 of Wave 2?

Loreedfk - I did. I really enjoyed it. It was great to hear Kris Madden's story as it is similar to mine and if she can do it, the only reason I am not where I want to be with PC is me! It really motivated me to get a move on and be able to retire from my 9-5 and do PC full time.

Re: Double Digit Recruiting - I loved the workshop I was in (Wave 1, Day 1- I think) When the speaker brought the last item out of her Why Bag - a lime green (large size) bra - the entire room roared. It symbolized the "support" she gets from her family. There were also really good tips and practices to become a recruiting star.

I did not like the .biz workshop, but I am already doing everything they discussed, I did not get up and walk out, because that's just rude, but I did not learn anything new. However, several people I talked with, including an advanced director, really learned alot and like the workshop, because they really did not know what to do with their website or how to work the customer connection.

It was great to hear Kris Madden's story

I ended up leaving the Other Job workshop before it was over - I'm not sure if Kris was the first or second speaker - I never heard the second speaker. The first woman was really just going over how to do time management when you have a day job - I already know how to do that - I currently have 3 direct sales businesses, run the Market Day fundraising program at the school plus do all the normal mom, wife and house stuff - I wanted to know how to move from the day job to PChef - perhaps I should have stuck around for the second speaker, but I couldn't take it anymore!

loreedfk said:
I ended up leaving the Other Job workshop before it was over - I'm not sure if Kris was the first or second speaker - I never heard the second speaker. The first woman was really just going over how to do time management when you have a day job - I already know how to do that - I currently have 3 direct sales businesses, run the Market Day fundraising program at the school plus do all the normal mom, wife and house stuff - I wanted to know how to move from the day job to PChef - perhaps I should have stuck around for the second speaker, but I couldn't take it anymore!

Kris was the single mom that just recently quit the last of her 3 other jobs. She had other personal issues that mirror some of mine and just hear her personal story, let me know it is possible. I have a hard time fitting PC in after I get home from work, do dinner, dishes, baths and bedtime and hearing about the "power hour" but in 15 segments whenever you can get them in during the day and focusing on one thing (host coaching, or recruiting, CCC's) and not everything at once, was very helpful to me.

Kris was the single mom that just recently quit the last of her 3 other jobs.

She must have been the second speaker then - the lady I listened to was an auditor with the government and didn't seem to have any intention of quitting her day job. My main reason for getting into PC is to get out of the day job!!! I wish I would have stayed for her part of the workshop then!

Hi all. Okay I've read that most of the work shops were disappointing but even so I was wondering do any of you have any notes you can share. I wasn't able to go to the conference this year. So anything you can share would be awesome. TIA

loreedfk said:
She must have been the second speaker then - the lady I listened to was an auditor with the government and didn't seem to have any intention of quitting her day job. My main reason for getting into PC is to get out of the day job!!! I wish I would have stayed for her part of the workshop then!

So you were in the same class as me?! The speakers were Velvet Lyke and Lisa Fritz in this session, Velvet was the one with the Department of Defense job. I didn't get many notes on this one myself, it was mainly just about doing segments of power-hour stuff during breaks and to and from work and during kids' practices.

I was very happy with all of my workshops. The Bookings to fill your calendar only helped if you have a show schedule. I did get some good info out of it, but it wasn't what I was really hoping to learn. I was looking for information on how to get bookings without show schedules.

So you were in the same class as me?! The speakers were Velvet Lyke and Lisa Fritz in this session, Velvet was the one with the Department of Defense job. I didn't get many notes on this one myself, it was mainly just about doing segments of power-hour stuff during breaks and to and from work and during kids' practices.

Yep - that was the class I was in - I just wasn't impressed - what working mother doesn't know that you have to break things down and fit it into the mini time slots of your life!!! I was really looking for advice on how to grow your business to a profitable level (day job income profitable) while still working and still remaining sane!!!

Anyone have any statistics on how long you can go without sleep? LOL! :eek:

loreedfk said:
Yep - that was the class I was in - I just wasn't impressed - what working mother doesn't know that you have to break things down and fit it into the mini time slots of your life!!! I was really looking for advice on how to grow your business to a profitable level (day job income profitable) while still working and still remaining sane!!!

Anyone have any statistics on how long you can go without sleep? LOL! :eek:

I know, maybe they were hoping for more men in the class since working mothers already know how to MULTI-TASK. LOL. :rolleyes:

And the answer to your question, YEARS! You just have your caffeine and walk around looking like this :eek: until they ALL graduate I am guessing. Or maybe just like this :cool: so they can't see the bags under your eyes.

Sk8Mom209 said:
Loreedfk - I did. I really enjoyed it. It was great to hear Kris Madden's story as it is similar to mine and if she can do it, the only reason I am not where I want to be with PC is me! It really motivated me to get a move on and be able to retire from my 9-5 and do PC full time.

Re: Double Digit Recruiting - I loved the workshop I was in (Wave 1, Day 1- I think) When the speaker brought the last item out of her Why Bag - a lime green (large size) bra - the entire room roared. It symbolized the "support" she gets from her family. There were also really good tips and practices to become a recruiting star.

I went to Marshalls and got a light blue 40DD underwire bra and pulled it out at my last show to show all the support I get from PC and my director and to explain how it's a sharing, not competitive, environment... they loved it! lol.

What else was in her bag?

The only workshop I didn't get anything was the product knowledge one - they basically repeated what was said in assemblies and read from the catalog. Learned not 1 new use or feature. LOVED Tom Marstinson & Tara Woodward ~ they were awesome! I loved Belinda, but found she just repeated her CD info in the lecture and focused on selling cds. She was entertaining though and there were some things she said not in the cdsI have.

its_me_susan said:
I went to Marshalls and got a light blue 40DD underwire bra and pulled it out at my last show to show all the support I get from PC and my director and to explain how it's a sharing, not competitive, environment... they loved it! lol.
In that case I could use my own bra! LOL

its_me_susan said:
What else was in her bag?
Picture of her family, a postcard/boat from a free trip, money, and she suggested a witch as in "I'll never have to work for her again!"

I can't remember what else, but I liked the idea!

its_me_susan said:
LOVED Tom Marstinson & Tara Woodward ~ they were awesome!

Susan! I was in that one and so was PamperedBecky. So sorry I missed you!!!

I was also in that class Susan, Deb and Becky! Darn....I so wish I had just stood up and yelled Cheffer!!! That was my favorite workshop by far.

LOL!!

There are many times I wish I had done that, but I was so out of it, I felt really crappy.

I did not go to conference for several reason. I was sorry I did not attend because I really wanted to learn about doing my Pampered Chef business as well as my day job. I have no intention of quitting my job. It appears to me that most people do Pampered Chef so they can quit thier "day job". In the cluster I am in most of the consultants have quit their jobs to sell Pampered Chef. I was wondering if their are any consultants like me who like thier "day jobs" and don't want to quit to sell Pampered chef full time

koeverson said:
I did not go to conference for several reason. I was sorry I did not attend because I really wanted to learn about doing my Pampered Chef business as well as my day job. I have no intention of quitting my job. It appears to me that most people do Pampered Chef so they can quit thier "day job". In the cluster I am in most of the consultants have quit their jobs to sell Pampered Chef. I was wondering if their are any consultants like me who like thier "day jobs" and don't want to quit to sell Pampered chef full time
You are actually in the majority! Many consultants and directors do both. A lot of people have two or more jobs anyway so why not have a no pressure fun job as one of them! Don't quit your day job if you love it!

My director was one of the presenters in the double-digit recruiting class. Her name is Jana Washatka. She just promoted to senior director because of her awesome recruiting skills! Ironically she didn't recruit me, but I was transferred to her team! Was she one of the ones that was bad or good?

She wasn't in mine. I thought the double digit one I took was great, though. But I'm a newbie (1 year this month!) and easily impressed!

Jana was one of mine and I thought she was wonderful.
Tracy

For WAVE 1 group

Did any one take the Bookings - Fill your calendar with Brooke and Sonia?

If so, how was it?

Anne, which Double Digit recruiting session did you take? Did it happen to be on the last day with Dee and Yolanda? Dee is my Director!

My daughter, a newbie and a new bride, loved the PC + Job workshop. She talked about the "government lady"...so it must be the same workshop y'all were in. Since she's young, new, and a newlywed, she's just learning how to multi-task, I guess!

We split up so we could get ideas from as many as possible.

The only thing I didn't enjoy was the journey from the booths to the classes. I took the wrong shoes!!!!:(

gilliandanielle said:
My director was one of the presenters in the double-digit recruiting class. Her name is Jana Washatka. She just promoted to senior director because of her awesome recruiting skills! Ironically she didn't recruit me, but I was transferred to her team! Was she one of the ones that was bad or good?

Jana was one of the presenters, however, I was soooo annoyed and turned off by the first presenter that I just left when there was a break - and so did several other people - all for the same reasons I left!

Oh - Becky Ishee was in the back taking lots of notes, I wonder what she thought??? I'm sure she wasn't there because she needed pointers!

I was in Wave 2 and I took it the last day.

AJPratt said:
In that case I could use my own bra! LOL

Picture of her family, a postcard/boat from a free trip, money, and she suggested a witch as in "I'll never have to work for her again!"

I can't remember what else, but I liked the idea!

LOVE the witch!!! oh too funny! I need to look for one. :)

erinyourpclady said:
I was also in that class Susan, Deb and Becky! Darn....I so wish I had just stood up and yelled Cheffer!!! That was my favorite workshop by far.

LOL!!

Ohhhhh I am soooo bummed we didn't all meet! We really do need a more obvious way to recognize each other next year (but nothing too crazy please). lol. I was wearing the cheffer guy on my badge...

koeverson said:

Yup! There are a few of them in my cluster. They are very successful at both! Hang in there. Why not start a "PC as 2nd job" thread? Bet you will find lots of others to share tips with. :)

its_me_susan said:
Ohhhhh I am soooo bummed we didn't all meet! We really do need a more obvious way to recognize each other next year (but nothing too crazy please). lol. I was wearing the cheffer guy on my badge...
I wish we would have somehow connected too! Maybe we can do a certain pin or something that would be separate from the name badge. Sometimes there's just too much to look at on those name badges.

Since the name badges are small, we should just do like a little red dot or something like it. There's those little, round labels and we could just write or print Cheffer on them for next time. I might just do that anyway. Unless someone has the time and energy to create a button...

I was in Wave 2 and I took it the last day.

Then we were in that workshop together. And the blonde woman who spoke first is my Director!! And of course we also got to have the celebrity from Empowering Women - Yolanda!

Last edited:
I can't believe we missed each other!!! I was so out of it, though!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Melissa78
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ChefPeg
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies