• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Did You See the News About Bagged Spinach?

In summary, a recall has been issued for bagged spinach because people have gotten sick from eating it. People who have the salad to eat should throw it away since they are not sure which manufacturer the bad stuff came from. There are alternatives for the salad using arugula or another dark-leafed lettuce. The recipe for the salad can be made without spinach, and it is a popular dish.
lacychef
Wow, did you guys watch the news last night? Talking about how a bunch of people have gotten really sick & one has died from getting e coli from bagged spinach??? They said if you have it to throw it away since they're not sure which manufacturer the bad stuff came from. Yikes, just when I was going to promote the new Harvest Chicken Salad! Maybe it will taste as good with a good 'ol head of romaine!

I just made that Harves Chicken salad last night, and went to the store to specifically buy a bag of bagged spinach. My husband called me this morning and asked how I was feeling. So far so good!:eek:

chefwilson said:
I just made that Harves Chicken salad last night, and went to the store to specifically buy a bag of bagged spinach. My husband called me this morning and asked how I was feeling. So far so good!:eek:

Glad to hear your ok...I was gonna make that at tonights party, but she moved it to Oct 6th:)

For an alternative, I suggest using arugula. It's a good one. Or another dark-leaved lettuce.

I just heard about that this morning & made the Harvest Chicken Salad not only for my cluster meeting on Monday, but also for an office show yesterday afternoon! Hopefully everyone is feeling fine! No more salad for awhile at my shows!

I used this as an opportunity tonight at my cooking show. Before I told the guests what I was making I said, "The good new is we aren't having spinach tonight." Those who heard the news story thought that was really funny.

Just thought maybe some of you would like to use that line.

lacychef said:
. Yikes, just when I was going to promote the new Harvest Chicken Salad! Maybe it will taste as good with a good 'ol head of romaine!

Both times I've made this salad I've used romaine lettuce. Tastes great! I would just change the ingredient list from spinach to romaine and promote away. I use romaine hearts and you can get away with just one for this recipe . . .it's actually more than the 6-oz of spinach in the recipe. There is still plenty of dressing (and other toppings). BTW, I only use one apple. I use the Apple Wedger and then slice with a knife.

chefjeanine said:
Both times I've made this salad I've used romaine lettuce. Tastes great! I would just change the ingredient list from spinach to romaine and promote away. I use romaine hearts and you can get away with just one for this recipe . . .it's actually more than the 6-oz of spinach in the recipe. There is still plenty of dressing (and other toppings). BTW, I only use one apple. I use the Apple Wedger and then slice with a knife.

Thanks; I figured it would surely taste just as good with another type of lettuce. I was planning on this recipe for a weight watcher's group of friends that will be at my show this week.

I was supposed to make the gruyere chicken en croute last night...had to throw out the spinach and pretty much any hope of it being somewhat healthy...got Japanese take-out. Made it easier to clean the kitchen, though. Didn't want hubby to get sick http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/sick0026.gif

cmdtrgd said:
I was supposed to make the gruyere chicken en croute last night...had to throw out the spinach and pretty much any hope of it being somewhat healthy...got Japanese take-out. Made it easier to clean the kitchen, though. Didn't want hubby to get sick http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/sick0026.gif

No, there's nothing worse than a sick hubby, that's for sure!

I get FDA recalls in my email; and i received a email like 2 days before the new announced what was going on with the spinach; that was a large time span for the new to wait to announce it. Weird

toniascookin said:
I get FDA recalls in my email; and i received a email like 2 days before the new announced what was going on with the spinach; that was a large time span for the new to wait to announce it. Weird

How do you get these recalls?

Spinach alternative
sailortena said:
For an alternative, I suggest using arugula. It's a good one. Or another dark-leaved lettuce.

I"ll have to try this :) I made the harvest chicken salad wayyyy before the FDA warnings were issued, I love Spinach both raw and cooked, and of course The Harvest Chicken Salad was the hit everywhere I made it.

I've always wondered what Argulla SP was and tasted like.

down here in Extreme South TX I see a variety of foods which I have no idea what they are, especially in the Produce section. Right out of High School way back in 1982 I worked in a produce dept and we carried a lot of different things.

Down here we have Jicama and I think that's similar to a potato. We also have cacti and different looking squashes, fruits too.

Just wanted to let you all know. They are warning here in CA not to buy any spinach fresh or bagged or any other bagged lettuces until the ecoli scare has passed. Last nights news showed grocers taking all of these types of products off the shelves. Just wanted you all to know

Thanks,

Good Idea.

I thought I had seen somewhere in the very beginning, it was "Dole", but I know they're now talking about all bagged/fresh spinach.

I went to Olive Garden today and to be on the safeside there, they are not serving anything with Spinach it recipes at all. They are still listed on the menu but have been pulled off menu until issue is resolved.

Yep, they've pulled it here in the Houston area. I had to switch my recipe for my show today from the chicken salad to Rustic Focaccia and we added chopped chicken to make it more lunch hearty. Fortunately my host waited until the morning of to shop!

Thanks for the link

Related to Did You See the News About Bagged Spinach?

1. What is the news about bagged spinach?

The news about bagged spinach is that there have been multiple recalls of packaged spinach due to potential contamination with E. coli bacteria. This has led to several reported cases of illness.

2. Is all bagged spinach affected by the recall?

No, not all bagged spinach is affected by the recall. The recalls have been limited to certain brands and specific use-by dates. It is important to check the packaging and expiration date before consuming bagged spinach.

3. How did the bagged spinach become contaminated with E. coli?

The source of the contamination is still being investigated, but it is believed that the E. coli bacteria may have been present in the soil where the spinach was grown. It is also possible that it was contaminated during processing or packaging.

4. Can I still eat fresh spinach instead of bagged spinach?

Yes, fresh spinach is not affected by the recalls and is safe to eat. However, it is always important to properly wash and handle any produce before consuming it.

5. What should I do if I have already eaten bagged spinach?

If you have already consumed bagged spinach and are experiencing symptoms such as diarrhea, stomach cramps, and vomiting, it is important to seek medical attention. Otherwise, it is recommended to dispose of any remaining bagged spinach and thoroughly clean any surfaces that may have come in contact with it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chef131doreen
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
mjbroncobabe
Replies
Views
vwpamperedchef
  • ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies