• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delta Swallows Northworst: Largest Mediocre Airline in the World

In summary, Northworst Airllines is merging with Delta Airlines. The new company will be called Delta, and Delta Airlines will now be the world's largest, mediocre airline.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Northworst Airllines is "merging" with Delta Airlines. Link.

The new company will be called Delta, which tells me it isn't a merger, it's a takeover.

So, if you take two very large, mediocre airlines and put them together, you get the world's largest, mediocre, airline.

They had to pick one name over the other, because Deltworst sounds like a new, bizarre kind of sausage.

LOL! Thanks for the morning chuckle, Ann! :) Good thing I didn't just take a big sip of tea...

I hadn't heard that they were going to be called Delta. Smart move with the reputation NW has. My DH has been calling them "northworst" forever.

Now they are large enough that if (when) they have troubles they can go to the government and say "you HAVE to help us".

Did you here the comment that was made on NBC this morning by their spokesman? Referring to prices he said that the ticket price must cover the increased cost of gas, etc.

lol Let's just squeeze some more - there's still a little blood in the common citizen and those CEO's aren't rich enough with their million dollar salaries and of course the stock holders (the richest among them that is) must have those multimillion profits every year and this year has to have a higher profit than last year.

BethCooks4U said:
I hadn't heard that they were going to be called Delta. Smart move with the reputation NW has. My DH has been calling them "northworst" forever.

Now they are large enough that if (when) they have troubles they can go to the government and say "you HAVE to help us".

Did you here the comment that was made on NBC this morning by their spokesman? Referring to prices he said that the ticket price must cover the increased cost of gas, etc.

lol Let's just squeeze some more - there's still a little blood in the common citizen and those CEO's aren't rich enough with their million dollar salaries and of course the stock holders (the richest among them that is) must have those multimillion profits every year and this year has to have a higher profit than last year.

Beth - I was thinking the same thing when I was watching that this morning! He also made some comment about how the market would remain competitive because of all of the discount carriers that have opened in the past few years.

Ummm, would those be the same discount carriers that just shut down?:grumpy: :confused:

LOL, my uncle has always called them Northworst too; he flies them going into Alaska usually.

Delworst?Norlta?It's kinda sad to see the old name go away - I remember the radio jingle, from when I was a kid, of a chorus singing the jingle, and they had a gong in an appropriate place."Northwest Orient [GONG!] Air-lines."Of course, everyone they swallowed up over the years is gone forever now, too. My first airplane ride was on a North Central DC-3 from Milwaukee to Rhinelander.
ducklogoindex.gif
North Central was referred to as "Blue Goose Airlines" and the logo was affectionately known as, "Herman, the Duck." Good ol' reliable North Central merged with Southern, and the resulting airline was called Republic - the name was soon corrupted into "Repulsive," which was consequently swallowed by Northworst.So another era comes to an end.ETA: North Central DC-3 N21728 was donated to the Henry Ford Museum in 1975 wearing a North Central paint scheme. (It sat outside, in the elements, behind the museum for a long time.) At the time it was donated, 728 had the most flying hours of all DC-3's. (The record has now been surpassed, since this one hasn't flown in over 30 years.) It was painted in a historic Northworst paint scheme and moved into the museum a few years ago.
NWA%20DC3-4.jpg

Last edited:
ChefBeckyD said:
Beth - I was thinking the same thing when I was watching that this morning! He also made some comment about how the market would remain competitive because of all of the discount carriers that have opened in the past few years.

Ummm, would those be the same discount carriers that just shut down?:grumpy: :confused:
Yep. I caught that too.

chefann said:
They had to pick one name over the other, because Deltworst sounds like a new, bizarre kind of sausage.
Hey! Watch it woman.....DH works for Delta! LOL

Actually, we've been watching this and wondering what it will do to his seniority and more importantly his paycheck :confused:

pamperedlinda said:

Actually, we've been watching this and wondering what it will do to his seniority and more importantly his paycheck :confused:

I was thinking of you this morning when I was watching the news - I thought your DH worked for Delta! Hope everything goes well for him.

pamperedlinda said:

What's the wurst that could happen?

Thanks Becky.

KG - I'm trying not to think about the wurst. Which reminds me of knokwurst and bratwurst blech! I can't stand either of those - however, I do like liverwurst (preferably with cheddar and pumpernickel ;))

pamperedlinda said:
I didn't mean to imply that Delta wasn't good. More that Northworst is, um, less than good. And, living near their hub, they're the primary airline around here.

Great, I hope I they honor FF miles! :( I had 65,000 racked up on NW and was hoping to maybe, just maybe take my DH somewhere for our 10th anniversary...

pamperedlinda said:
Thanks Becky.

KG - I'm trying not to think about the wurst. Which reminds me of knokwurst and bratwurst blech! I can't stand either of those - however, I do like liverwurst (preferably with cheddar and pumpernickel ;))
Well, look at it this way - if he survives the "merger," then he'll be a wiener!

chefann said:
I didn't mean to imply that Delta wasn't good. More that Northworst is, um, less than good. And, living near their hub, they're the primary airline around here.
I know, I was just picking on you.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Well, look at it this way - if he survives the "merger," then he'll be a wiener!
Oh, he'll survive - just hope he doesn't slide down the seniority ranks and have to go to a lesser paying airplane seat (he's a pilot).

Ah, found my FF answer here:http://www.nwa.com/features/mergerletter/index.html?intomni=tc.100percentservesV2.hplead

My best friends hubby is a pilot for Northwest. He just went back a year ago after having been laid off after 911. I wonder how this is going to affect all the families employed by these companies.

There has been lots of talk about closing the Delta hub in Cinti/NKY. Delta's CEO (or some other slick talking shmuck) was on TV reassuring everyone that there are not talks of closing the hub. Didn't catch the whole interview, but I don't remember him saying "We are NOT closing the hub", just that there are not talks of closing it. Hmmm.....

etteluap70PC said:
My best friends hubby is a pilot for Northwest. He just went back a year ago after having been laid off after 911. I wonder how this is going to affect all the families employed by these companies.

And what about the retirees?? My husband retired from NW in 2004. We need his pension to keep the lights on. He started back in 1969 with N Central, and came up with all the changes.

For the employees now, some will loose their jobs. Just a fact. Minneapolis (I know I spelled that wrong) is going to get hit pretty hard and probably Detroit, too. Great, just what Michigan needs, another round of job cuts. As if it wasn't bad enough when NW, and most other companies, took all their maintainance overseas.

PamperChefCarol said:
And what about the retirees?? My husband retired from NW in 2004. We need his pension to keep the lights on. He started back in 1969 with N Central, and came up with all the changes.

For the employees now, some will loose their jobs. Just a fact. Minneapolis (I know I spelled that wrong) is going to get hit pretty hard and probably Detroit, too. Great, just what Michigan needs, another round of job cuts. As if it wasn't bad enough when NW, and most other companies, took all their maintainance overseas.

Exactly..... my cousin just retired from NW last week! been there for 20 years! Minneapolis (you did spell it right) and the surrounding area (I am an hour north) is allready hurting. It just sucks all the way arround... I know my friend is stressing big time!

1. What is "Delta Swallows Northworst"?

"Delta Swallows Northworst" is a nickname given to Delta Airlines after their merger with Northwest Airlines in 2008. It refers to the fact that Delta has acquired Northwest and is now the largest airline in the world.

2. Why is Delta called the "Largest Mediocre Airline in the World"?

This nickname is often used by critics who believe that Delta's service and overall experience is not up to par with other major airlines. Despite being the largest in terms of fleet size and destinations, Delta has received criticism for their mediocre customer service and outdated amenities.

3. Is Delta a good airline to fly with?

This is a subjective question as experiences with any airline can vary. However, Delta has received mixed reviews from customers. While some praise their on-time performance and loyalty program, others have complained about their customer service and fees for amenities such as baggage and seat selection.

4. How has the merger between Delta and Northwest affected their operations?

The merger allowed Delta to expand their network and become a dominant player in the airline industry. It also allowed them to streamline their operations and cut costs, but it also led to job cuts and changes in policies for customers, such as the elimination of free meals on domestic flights.

5. Are there any benefits to flying with Delta after the merger with Northwest?

Yes, there are several benefits to flying with Delta after the merger. These include a larger network of destinations, improved on-time performance, and a more extensive loyalty program. Additionally, Delta's partnership with other airlines allows for more travel options and benefits for customers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jean DeVries
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jean DeVries
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • chefann
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies