• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Homemade Bread Recipes to Share

In summary, the author recommends a recipe for no-knead bread that was developed by ChefJim Lahey. The bread is prepared by combining flour, yeast, and salt, and then letting the dough rest for 18 hours before being liberally floured and left to rise for 2 hours. The bread is then baked in a preheated oven for 45 minutes before being dumped into the oven with a hot covered Baker.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
Anyone have a good homemade bread recipe to share?

I do - but it doesn't use any PC products. Are you wanting one for you or one to share?French BreadFirst bloom the yeast.
- in a bowl put 1/2 cup of very warm water (but not scalding)
- add 2 TBSP yeast & stir it up
- sprinkle with a little sugar to feed the yeast
- let it sit while you prep the next partIn a large mixing bowl add the following:
- 2 cups warm water
- 3 TBSP sugar
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1/2 cup oilOnce the bloomed yeast looks like tan foam add it to the oil/water mixture; mix well.Add 3 cups of flour. Mix well. Add 3 more cups of flour, 1 cup at a time. Mix well after adding each cup.Stick a metal fork in the middle of the dough ball, cover with a towel & let it sit for 10 minutes.After the 10 minutes give it a good stir, leave the fork in the middle, recover & let sit another 10 minutes. Do this process a total of 5 times so it sits for a total of 50 minutes.After the last 10 minutes do NOT stir it again.Dump out onto a floured surface & cut into 2 pieces.Roll each out into a 8x12 rectangle (don't forget to flour your rolling pin!) and then roll into loaves.Spritz a baking sheet with Pam (or use parchment paper) & place loaves seam side down & tuck the edges under. Score the tops of each loaf with 3 slashes. Let them rise on the sheet for 25-30 minutes.Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Check for doneness by flicking the bottom & top of the loaf. If the bottom sounds like the top it's done! If it's not bake at additional 2-3 minute intervals until it looks good!

I HIGHLY recommend getting the book "Artisan Bread In Five Minutes A Day"!

INCREDIBLE breads that take just 5 minutes a day to bake, and you never have to knead! Yum Yum Yum!

(I know that ChefAnn and RaeBates would say the same thing, too!)

Unfortunately my bread recipes are from my mom, and they're of the "a little of this, a splash of that" variety which is not easy to put in writing.

However, I've heard good things about this book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1416566112/?tag=pfamazon01-20. It teaches how to use ratios to create your own recipes. I haven't actually gotten it myself, but I like the concept.

I was going to recommend the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day book, too. The authors have a second volume out, Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. I haven't picked that one up yet, but LOVE the original title. Heck, I can mix up a batch of the basic bread from that book without looking at the recipe. :)

Here is a recipe for a no-knead bread, in the DCB, that you can do at a show. I did not come up with this, or even try it myself yet. It was posted to my loop a bit ago.

No-Knead Bread Thanks to Jim Lahey for developing this recipe and to Cecilia Simonis for sharing.
3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups tap water
Step 1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 ½ cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at room temperature.
Step 2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Liberally flour a Pastry Mat using the Flour/Sugar Shaker, and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Fold the 2 sides of the Pastry Mat over the bread and let it stand on the counter for 2 hours to rise.
Step 3. 1 ½ hours into the 2 hour rising, preheat oven to 450 degrees & place the empty Covered Baker with lid in oven for 30 minutes. You want the Covered Baker blazing hot. Dump the dough into the Covered Baker, put the lid on and put back in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes then take the lid off. Bake for another 8 to 15 minutes until the bread is golden brown on top. Cool on a rack. OK go ahead and eat it. We don’t have the patience in our house either to let it cool.

Doing a Bread Show
The night before the show, mix 2 batches of dough in the small and medium Stainless Bowls. Put the lids on and leave on the counter. (Step 1).
Two hours before the show starts, while you are still at home, do Step 2 above with one of the batches of dough. I transport this by putting the dough in the Pastry Mat into the Covered Baker and put the lid on best I can.
Take to the show:
The one batch that has not been folded
The folded bread that is busy with the 2 hour rising process
A gallon Ziploc freezer bag with about 4 cups of flour (or have host provide)
Two prep bowls – one with salt and one with yeast.
Flour/sugar shaker with flour in
One Stainless Bowl
A Scraper and Bamboo spoon
The set of dry ingredient measuring cups.
The 4 cup and 2 cup of the Easy Read Measuring cups
The set of Adjustable Measuring spoons
Non-stick Cooling Rack
2 Oven pads
Bread knife
A baggie of 1 tablespoon yeast for every guest (optional )

At the show:
As soon as you get to the show, take the dough out of the baker, put the baker into the oven and preheat oven to 450F for about 30 minutes.
Do intro of store price of bread ($4 to $7.50) vs. $0.30 this way and 4 minutes work, the smell of newly baked bread. Why don’t we make our own bread? Too difficult. Etc, etc.

In front of the people

Do Step 1, -the initial mixing of the dough in a Stainless Bowl with bamboo spoon in which I put flour, salt, yeast, water using the measuring cups, adjustable spoons, and easy read measuring cups. Put the lid on and put it aside on the counter. Tell them to leave it on the counter for 12 to 18 hours.

Then I do Step 2. With Flour/Sugar Shaker, sprinkle the Pastry Mat generously with flour, take the one container with dough that I have not yet folded, and turn it out on the mat using the scraper. Then sprinkle some more flour over the dough, and gently press it down a little so that it is nearly as big as the largest circle on the mat. Now fold the dough onto itself by taking the top end and fold it 1/3 way over, take bottom and fold it 1/3 way over, and the same with the 2 sides. Fold the 2 sides of the Pastry Mat over the dough and leave it on the counter for 2 hours. This whole steps takes about 30 seconds.

Step 3. Now take the Covered Baker out of the oven, take the dough that was folded at home 2 hours before the show, lift up the dough with hands and plop it into the baker, put the lid on and put it into the oven for 30 minutes. Then take the lid off and bake it for another 5 to 15 minutes until the bread has a golden brown color. Voila!

I was going to recommend the 5 minutes books, too. Great, easy recipes.

We've done the No Knead Bread in the DCB at our cluster meeting and it is fantastic. Looking forward to doing this at my shows and at home. Lots of great tools used!!!!

Related to Delicious Homemade Bread Recipes to Share

What are the most essential ingredients for making homemade bread?

The most essential ingredients for making homemade bread are flour, yeast, salt, water, and a sweetener like sugar or honey.

Can I use different types of flour for homemade bread?

Yes, you can experiment with different types of flour such as all-purpose, whole wheat, or bread flour to achieve different textures and flavors in your homemade bread.

Do I need any special equipment to make homemade bread?

While having a stand mixer or a bread machine can make the process easier, you can also make delicious homemade bread with just your hands and a few basic kitchen tools like a mixing bowl, spoon, and baking pan.

How long does it take to make homemade bread?

The time it takes to make homemade bread can vary depending on the recipe and the type of bread you are making. On average, it takes about 2-3 hours from start to finish, including rising and baking time.

Can I freeze homemade bread?

Yes, homemade bread can be frozen for up to 3 months. Make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil before placing it in the freezer. Thaw it at room temperature before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Sk8Mom209
  • princezz2
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
chefmickey1