• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Debating Whether to Go to Conference: Seeking Advice

In summary, the author is considering whether or not to attend the National Conference for Christians and Jews. They've already purchased their ticket, but are undecided about whether or not to attend. They cite reasons for both going and not going, and provide a link to a website that provides more information about the subscription meal service.
Chefstover2
and thinking of hanging it up. I've just not been loving my business recently, and it's not anything the Home Office has done. I think I'm just going to work what I've got, book any shows that come my way, but I'm not going to pursue any potential hosts.

I'm toying with some ideas of what to do to replace the PC income. One of which is to provide some sort of meal subscription service for shut-ins, seniors, those that don't cook, families with new babies, etc. Still in the very embryonic stage.

I'm debating on whether or not to go to Conference. I earned it free, I've already purchased my plane ticket (sort of...the airline put me on the wrong time slot) and I've got roommates at the Sheraton. Since I won't be all the way out of PC by then, I'd still qualify to attend. Any comments on this one? I'm totally on the fence on this and just need a push one way or the other.

Thanks, everyone!

Maybe NC is just what you need to get you back into things. Since you've already invested as much you have, I would vote for going. If you go, and you're not pumped up to keep your business going, then you'll know it's not for you.

I agree with Noora. Since you have made the investment go and see what happens.

I also agree! Plus, if you don't feel the excitement (for your business) by the time NC is over, you'll have a chance to say good-bye to everyone. And, network for your new business.

I think the home-service idea is wonderful, so if this is what God has planned for you, instead of PC, I'm positive you'll succeed wonderfully!

I agree with going to conference.

If you are serious about the subscription meal service, check out the United States Personal Chef Association. I was a personal chef for several years before PC, and got my training and certification through them - excellent training, recipes, support, etc...and their focus is on exactly what you are describing in your post.

My response is totally selfish.....

:eek::eek::eek: Get off that fence girl! :eek::eek::eek:

Go to conference - :chef: get reinspired! I would miss you :(

I did the meal thing a while back and loved it, but it was a lot of work. PC is more cut and dry, and I am making more money at it.
I mostly did hot meals, delivered 2 days a week, but I also did some frozen meals for people who wanted food on different days, and liked my ideas.
This is one of the websites i took some ideas from.
http://www.casserolequeens.com
I can't remember the website of the other company that I got ideas from, but if you google "dinner delivery" you will find lots of them.
Sorry, it sounds like I am promoting that. There are ups and down with everything. I don't see why you couldn't try it out without giving up PC. I loved doing the dinner thing. It was right for my family at that time. It was instant money when I did it, but it just wouldn't work for us now. What I realized was that it committed me to cooking in the afternoon hours. My oldest will be in kindergarten next year, and it would put me cooking when he will be getting home from school. I wanted to be spending time with him then. Yes, with PC I will have to be gone in the evenings some, but I can still pick him up, do homework and play and get dinner on before I have to leave him with dad.
DH wanted me to get back into it when I was contemplating PC. It is more instant money (you hand them food and they hand you money), but now that PC is bringing in money he is convinced. I think they are both wonderful businesses, but you do have to decide what is right for your family. Let me know if you have any other questions or need more ideas.

ChefBeckyD said:
I agree with going to conference.

If you are serious about the subscription meal service, check out the United States Personal Chef Association. I was a personal chef for several years before PC, and got my training and certification through them - excellent training, recipes, support, etc...and their focus is on exactly what you are describing in your post.

My sister in law used this schooling and did the personal chef thing for about 2 yrs until she established her own pierogi business in Indiana, but I don't think she would have done that had she not made the leap to join the Personal Chef Association! I almost thought about it as well...still may some day!

Last edited:
chefsteph07 said:
My sister in law used this schooling and did the personal chef thing for about 2 yrs until she established her own pierogi business in Indiana, but I don't think she would have done that had she not made the leap to join the Persona Chef Association! I almost thought about it as well...still may some day!

It's a great organization. If I hadn't gotten pregnant, I would probably still be doing it. I thought it was my dream job - until I discovered that dreams can change in an instant. (or in my case, in a positive pregnancy test!)

I worked 2-3 days a week, and that was full time pay. BUT - it's long hours. I also was able to parlay that business into a fairly profitable catering business. The only problem with that was that in MI, the rules are pretty stringent on professional kitchens, etc...so I was only able to catering if I could do the cooking for the people in their home, or if I was at a venue that would allow me to use their kitchen. It would have been $50-75,000 to make my kitchen up to code.

I agree ... you've made the investment so you have nothing to lose. At best, you'll be re-inspired and stick with it. At worst, you'll get a great vacation in Chicago, a chance to meet fellow cheffers and see some great sites.In mulling over whether I'm going to conference, a collegue in the biz (who's not going to conference, her DH got laid off and they are taking a family vacation elsewhere) inspired me to really re-evaluate. One of the questions is, "Am I making money." Well no, I never have turned a profit. Many months, I get paid in products rather than in cash. But I also do not feel that this is the time to hang it up. So much is happening this fall and summer. And I just paid for a year on my PWS! If my fall fizzles, I'll consider my options next spring.

chefsteph07 said:
My sister in law used this schooling and did the personal chef thing for about 2 yrs until she established her own pierogi business in Indiana, but I don't think she would have done that had she not made the leap to join the Personal Chef Association! I almost thought about it as well...still may some day!

YAY! SO happy to hear that someone, somewhere else other than PA, knows what a pierogi is! That's my universal travel question! "Do you know what a pierogi is? In Arkansas the girl said to me, "Do you wear it?" LOL Sorry to jump in on a thread not meant for this but you just made my day :)

In regards to the thread! I'm with the other post...Get off the fence already and get yourself to conference with us! Thousands of people filled with enthusiasm, fun, days packed with product and 'the new and shiny'. I can't imagine a decision here.

SEE YOU THERE! :)

Melissa, I live in a Cleveland suburb, and another town close to me is Parma which is about the pierogi capital, other than the big fest they do in Chicago! My husband's family has a polish heritage and my sister in law moved to Carmel Indiana a few years ago. There is NO ethnic food there at all, so she used "grandma's recipe" and opened up her own retail place. It is called "Pierogi in a Pinch". You all should check it out. It's fabulous! I was shocked when she said no one had ever heard of one when she asked her friends about it after she moved there!

OK, OK...I'll go. Good reasoning because if I can't get jazzed at conference it's probably time to move on...though I'm not sure I'll move totally on. I've been in it so long (almost 8 years) that I'm sure I'll have people still wanting to do shows. I figure I'll do shows for those that want 'em but I won't pursue anyone. (now just watch my calendar explode!)Thanks for all the wonderful references...I will definitely check into the Chef's Association and the websites. Any and all resources are welcomed. My home kitchen will definitely not qualify for a commercial kitchen...I have too many critters around. But I think my church fellowship kitchen does and I think it's worth checking to see if they'd rent it to me. Other thoughts I had were to find a restaurant that only serves breakfast/lunch and rent their kitchen for evenings. I've had my serv-safe certification, so I'm good there.I LOVE pierogis!!!! Unfortunately, I'm the only one in my family that does, so we don't have them often.Keep posting information, if you like. I'm all about brainstorming and picking people's brains for information.Thanks everyone...see you at Conference!

Look at it this way- is a cheap trip to Chicago- a nice little get away and the extra day and our evenings free at conference means you can do more! :)

Kristen - when was the last time you felt like this about your business? We all experience these really, really, really low points. They happen so very rarely that when they hit, they hit us hard. All sorts of things can trigger them. I suggest a vacation! Not a trip to Las Vegas but rather a week or two OF NO PC BUSINESS WHAT SO EVER!!!! Walk away. Put your business on the self, tell everyone that you will not be able to respond to e-mails, phone calls or anything else PC related for two weeks! And give them the dates!!! I did this right after the first of the year. I needed time to relax, rejuvenate, reorganize my mind and get focused. After all, I had lost my full time job, frantically cleaned my entire house because I needed the therapy and well, run as far as I could from the new financial crap we were about to face. It really helped. I focused on me. I focused on NOTHING! It was sort of cool watching DIY and HGTV and whatever else I wanted to do without having to pick up the phone to call so and so for a booking or an order. I had also intentionally rescheduled every January party I had from Jan 7 to the 20th so I could do this! I loved it! I NEEDED IT EVEN MORE! Also this may give you the answers you are looking for all the way around. You are seeking something that PC is NOT giving you. Or something is out of whack at home. Sounds funny but I find that if I have problems with PC it is usually something else. So... you need time to reflect. Best luck and I hope you can do this.

pampered1224 said:
Kristen - when was the last time you felt like this about your business? We all experience these really, really, really low points. They happen so very rarely that when they hit, they hit us hard. All sorts of things can trigger them. I suggest a vacation! Not a trip to Las Vegas but rather a week or two OF NO PC BUSINESS WHAT SO EVER!!!! Walk away. Put your business on the self, tell everyone that you will not be able to respond to e-mails, phone calls or anything else PC related for two weeks! And give them the dates!!! I did this right after the first of the year. I needed time to relax, rejuvenate, reorganize my mind and get focused. After all, I had lost my full time job, frantically cleaned my entire house because I needed the therapy and well, run as far as I could from the new financial crap we were about to face. It really helped. I focused on me. I focused on NOTHING! It was sort of cool watching DIY and HGTV and whatever else I wanted to do without having to pick up the phone to call so and so for a booking or an order. I had also intentionally rescheduled every January party I had from Jan 7 to the 20th so I could do this! I loved it! I NEEDED IT EVEN MORE! Also this may give you the answers you are looking for all the way around. You are seeking something that PC is NOT giving you. Or something is out of whack at home. Sounds funny but I find that if I have problems with PC it is usually something else. So... you need time to reflect. Best luck and I hope you can do this.

This is actually something that's been coming on for a couple of months and I've been doing my best to ignore it, give myself recharge time, etc. and the feeling won't go away. This will probably sound pretty whiny, but I'm just really tired of having consultants sign and never do even the minimum commitment, or whine about this or that or the other thing. I've been doing Director Work for 1.5 years and only been paid as one for about 4 months of it.

My joy is feeding people...which is why PC has been such a great fit for me. I'm a lunch lady at a local elementary school, I'm on one of the cooking teams for my church's Wednesday night meals, I volunteer to feed the veterans once a month. (Funny thing is, my family is so picky, I actually don't love cooking for them...I do it but I don't love it).

I've prayed about this for a while and it seems as if I'm being pulled in another direction. I'll stick my toe in this personal chef pond and see if it works...if it's not right, I guess I'll know pretty quick.

But I'll look forward to seeing everyone at Conference and maybe I'll feel differently by then.:chef:

Chefstover2 said:
This is actually something that's been coming on for a couple of months and I've been doing my best to ignore it, give myself recharge time, etc. and the feeling won't go away. This will probably sound pretty whiny, but I'm just really tired of having consultants sign and never do even the minimum commitment, or whine about this or that or the other thing. I've been doing Director Work for 1.5 years and only been paid as one for about 4 months of it.

My joy is feeding people...which is why PC has been such a great fit for me. I'm a lunch lady at a local elementary school, I'm on one of the cooking teams for my church's Wednesday night meals, I volunteer to feed the veterans once a month. (Funny thing is, my family is so picky, I actually don't love cooking for them...I do it but I don't love it).

I've prayed about this for a while and it seems as if I'm being pulled in another direction. I'll stick my toe in this personal chef pond and see if it works...if it's not right, I guess I'll know pretty quick.

But I'll look forward to seeing everyone at Conference and maybe I'll feel differently by then.:chef:

This is exactly me. Which is why when people ask me my favorite part of the job, I tell them it's doing the parties. I absolutely LOVE doing the cooking shows, feeding people, and teaching them how to make quick healthy meals at home. I'm about to promote to director, but seriously, it hasn't been my top priority or even what brings me the greatest joy in my business. I love the people on my team, and I train them, and encourage them....and some excel, and some don't. Mostly, I just also share with them my love of cooking and teaching others to cook. It's up to them to take what I teach and succeed. I'm not sure how often I'll get paid as a director either, but as long as I can do shows, and at least keep my TL status, I'm happy!

Well not to be negative but rather maybe realistic, but when the heck do you find time to sit and relax? It sounds like exactly what happened to me. Too many things going on at one time and I ended up NOT being able to focus in on any one thing! It got so messed up, and everything I loved I suddenly hated doing. Even PC! I ended up on meds for depression. I did the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life and that was to walk away from EVERYTHING. I have never quit anything in my life. But for my own sanity, I had to. Now, I understand your feelings of having to do this and that but seriously? When do you have time to enjoy life? Life is not waiting on everyone else. It is waiting on yourself. I truly hope that you can see what I am trying to say here.

pampered1224 said:
Well not to be negative but rather maybe realistic, but when the heck do you find time to sit and relax? It sounds like exactly what happened to me. Too many things going on at one time and I ended up NOT being able to focus in on any one thing! It got so messed up, and everything I loved I suddenly hated doing. Even PC! I ended up on meds for depression. I did the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life and that was to walk away from EVERYTHING. I have never quit anything in my life. But for my own sanity, I had to. Now, I understand your feelings of having to do this and that but seriously? When do you have time to enjoy life? Life is not waiting on everyone else. It is waiting on yourself. I truly hope that you can see what I am trying to say here.

I chuckled over this b/c my mom says the same thing, but honestly, I'm not doing each thing every day. I lunch lady 3 hours a day (I'm done by 10:45AM) and I don't work when there's no school. The church cooking is 3-4 times a year and the vet center is once a month.

I've been talking to a bunch of people around here for input on my idea and it's fleshing out. I've got several options on kitchens (my cafeteria boss was very negative about this, but I've already found 3 possibilities). I've got contacts at a local retirement community and am hoping to interview some of the independent living residents to find out what they'd like to see or if it's even something they'd be interested in. The brainstorming is still going on. I'll know if I start bumping into all sorts of brick walls that I'm headed in the wrong direction.

In the meantime, I've got 5 shows in the first 2.5 weeks of May and I'll look forward to seeing what happens at those.

And John, I'll look forward to meeting you...I'm in Track B too!

I am not trying to be a pain. I just want you to be happy and think it all through before making a rash decision. It is hard. But you know what. I think you have a good plan in play and I just wanted to make sure I pushed hard enough for you to make sure you were willing to fight for your decision. It makes things so much easier when you have dedicated yourself to your choices. And I applaud the fact that you are looking else where. I know that sounds odd but you know sometimes the things that we do sort of loose their luster. It is a fact of life. We change, our lives change and well, hey, if you don't go for something, who knows what would have happened. And there is nothing worse than looking back and saying, "Well what if..." To me that is worse than any 4 letter word out there!

So glad you decided to go. I hope you have a great time and get clearity on whatever it is you decide to do.

After all that, I ended up not being able to go. My husband had a total hip replacement on Friday and only just got home from the hospital on Sunday and I just wasn't feeling right about leaving him on Monday.I'm hoping someone will post all the announcements.

Chefstover2 said:
I'm hoping someone will post all the announcements.

New products are already up.

1. Should I attend the conference even if I'm a new consultant?

Yes, attending conference as a new consultant can be extremely beneficial. It will give you the opportunity to learn from experienced consultants, network with other consultants, and gain valuable knowledge and skills that will help you grow your business.

2. Is it worth the investment to attend conference?

Absolutely! The investment you make to attend conference will pay off in many ways. You will gain new skills and knowledge, make valuable connections, and get access to exclusive deals and discounts. Plus, the motivation and inspiration you will receive can have a positive impact on your business.

3. Can I bring a guest to conference?

Yes, you can bring a guest to conference. However, they must also register and pay the conference fee. Guests will have access to all conference activities and sessions, but will not be able to participate in any training or workshops.

4. How can I get the most out of conference?

To get the most out of conference, we recommend setting goals for what you want to accomplish during the event. Attend the sessions that align with your goals, network with other consultants, and take advantage of the training and workshops offered. Also, make sure to attend the general sessions and keynotes for motivation and inspiration.

5. Can I still attend conference if I can't stay for the entire event?

Yes, you can still attend conference even if you can't stay for the entire event. We understand that everyone has different schedules and commitments, so we offer flexible registration options. You can choose to attend for the full event or just certain days. However, keep in mind that you may miss out on some valuable sessions and activities if you can't stay for the entire event.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
DebPC
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • raebates
  • National Conferences and Meetings