• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Conference Anxiety: Should I Go?

In summary, the conversation is about whether or not to attend a conference in August in Markham. The person speaking has earned half price but is unsure if they want to go. They are being pressured by others to attend and are seeking advice and experiences from those who have attended before. Some negative thoughts and concerns are mentioned, such as the cost and the belief that the information presented at the conference can be obtained through other means. Others mention the benefits of networking and implementing what is learned at the conference. The speaker ultimately decides to attend and is looking forward to meeting others at the event.
stefani2
Is anyone else going to Conference (in August) in Markham? I earned half price, but I don't want to go. Everyone is bugging me telling me to go. What happens at Conference - I have never been and maybe I am thinking of it wrong. I have a babysitter all lined up - so I don't know what is holding me back? Those who have been - can you tell me about it? (maybe i will get excited and look forward to it)

Here are my (negative) thoughts:
- We listen to speakers (can't we buy the CDs after on supply?)
- See the new products (can't we view them on here if someone posts them?)
- Go to the Gala (I'm sure it is REALLY good - but I don't want to spend the money on Reg. PLUS plane ticket)

Everyone tells me how motivating it is - but I still dont think I want to go....

Any suggestions or stories?......

There's a statistic that floats around every year when registration opens, that consultants who attend conference are more likely to have higher show averages, hold more shows, and recruit more. (I forget the actual percentages that are mentioned.)The trick to all of that is to actually implement what you learn in the workshops and at general sessions. If you're the type to take notes but never act on them, then you're probably better off skipping it and saving the money. As great as conference is, you need to make a commitment to USE the information you get there.

Do you learn different things OTHER than what they put out for Training CDs?

stefani2 said:
Do you learn different things OTHER than what they put out for Training CDs?

Actually, for each workshop, there are several different presenters, but only one of those makes it to CD. So what you hear at conference may very well not be what you here on the Conference Workshop CDs. I've never taken a conference workshop that was later available on CD.

I think one of the best things about conference is all of the networking you do with other consultants from around the country - some of the greatest ideas come from chatting over lunch, or in a line waiting for a shuttle.

I have never been to conference, either and I have had my PC business for 7 years. I have two small children and a fantastic husband that I just couldn't see being away from them and spending the money for conference. I know many say that it is so great for your business, but as someone mentioned above it would only benefit if you applied what you learn to your business.

I have been very successful with my business, by the grace of God, but I also consider myself a low-maintenance consultant (I very rarely hear from my director) and a self-driven person. With that being said, I don't necessarily need the "high" many get from attending these events, but I do enjoy it and look forward to it at local meetings and regional meetings.

I normally do over 100 shows a year and I made TPC in sales this year, but I have committed to going this year for I don't know what the reason is. I do enjoy learning from others and that is, I guess, the main reason I am going. It certainly is not because I want to spend money!!!:) I did receive registration FREE this year, but am also still expecting it to be over $500 with hotel, gas, and food expense. We'll see.

I can only recommend that you do some searching within yourself to find out why you want to go and then go from there. Do it and say you did it and then see if it's worth going to again! If nothing else, it's a great tax write-off and you get freebies and friends!

Best of luck in your decision!

Hey Twinkie 10 - glad to see your face and hopefully we will meet you in Wave 1 this year!

janetupnorth said:
Hey Twinkie 10 - glad to see your face and hopefully we will meet you in Wave 1 this year!

Thanks, Janet! I'm going to try to get that photo on the $100K wall, so you don't have to worry about it! I decided to go this year! Where is that wall again? Take care and I'll be lookin' for you!

I have just never heard others talk about Conference as "OMG - you HAVE to go!!!!...." I just thought there would be more hype about it or something (keep in mind that I am from Canada - maybe there is less excitement surrounding CDN Conference???????)

stefani2 said:
I have just never heard others talk about Conference as "OMG - you HAVE to go!!!!...." I just thought there would be more hype about it or something (keep in mind that I am from Canada - maybe there is less excitement surrounding CDN Conference???????)

I think maybe that's it!!! I don't have any intrest in going myself. It seems like way too much money. Please nobody take that the wrong way, but for me doing this as just a "hobby" it really doesn't make sense to me.

I should also add that airfare for me to go would be just over $1500.00!! Plus hotel etc. CRAZY:(

$1500???? REALLY? We (the cluster) were going to try and hit a seat sale and hope for just under $300 - but now that I hear how much YOUR airfare would be - maybe I missed something from their conversation?

I like to do about 4 shows per month (up to 9 per month), so I don't consider myself full-time, either.

I have never had any conference-goers share what they love about it - they just say 'oh, you should go' (mind you these are people who want to/do PC F/T). I am still sittin' on the fence............

They sure send out a lot of emails, postcards, etc. about attending Conference, but not a lot on the benefits or what you will experience there. :(

It's probably b/c it's hard to put into words the "intangible" benefits you get out of conference - the motivation, the networking, the fun times, etc. I have been to conference 3 times and each time was different. I learned more every time I went, and when I couldn't go last year, I was devastated. The only way I can possibly go this year is if I promote to Director by June 30, so I'm working my butt off to do it! It's a feeling you only understand until you go - there are people just like you (or totally unlike you) who just "get" the whole PC thing, and it really helps you see the big picture and how PC can change your life - literally. So, if you're still "sittin' on the fence", conference is a great way to find out if you really want to go for it or just keep it as it is. I've gone to conference with hobbyists and F/T'ers, and all enjoyed it just as much - like someone else said, it's what you take away from it that matters most. HTH!

stefani2 said:
$1500???? REALLY? We (the cluster) were going to try and hit a seat sale and hope for just under $300 - but now that I hear how much YOUR airfare would be - maybe I missed something from their conversation?

I like to do about 4 shows per month (up to 9 per month), so I don't consider myself full-time, either.

I have never had any conference-goers share what they love about it - they just say 'oh, you should go' (mind you these are people who want to/do PC F/T). I am still sittin' on the fence............

They sure send out a lot of emails, postcards, etc. about attending Conference, but not a lot on the benefits or what you will experience there. :(

I can drive 8 hours to Vancouver or fly for about $350.00 then from Vancouver to Ontario is about 1200.00 round trip, the summer time is really bad for airfare. Not to mention all the fuel charges they have now. I see alright airfare from time to time but it doesn't include taxes :(

I hope I am too late to put my Canadian 2 cents in. Two years ago I went to conference and LOVED it, I was planning to go this year but the date is the same time as a 50th birthday party I am organizing.
It was a wonderful experience, I met a lot of wonderful consultants that I am still in touch with today. The workshops were fantastic and better live then all the CD's I have (I have lots)!
I flew from BC to Toronto on a seat sale (under $400) and spent 4 fantastic days in a wonderful hotel, ate good, swam at the pool, used the sauna and explored the city (I live in a rural community) It was a learning vacation.
I sat with Doris Christopher, what an inspiration and met the fantastic consultants you read about in our catalogues. When ever the new catalogues come out I love to see who they have chosen to feature because I have already met them! The cost was worth it and I would go again in a heart beat. You have to decide what your reasons are to go for me I got everything I wanted from it.
Lorna

1. What is conference anxiety?

Conference anxiety is a feeling of nervousness or discomfort that arises when thinking about attending a conference. It can be caused by a variety of factors such as a fear of networking, unfamiliarity with the conference topic, or feeling overwhelmed by the large crowds and busy schedule.

2. How common is conference anxiety?

Conference anxiety is a common experience for many people. It is estimated that around 50% of people experience some level of anxiety when attending conferences or similar events.

3. What are some coping strategies for dealing with conference anxiety?

There are several strategies that can help alleviate conference anxiety. These include setting realistic expectations, taking breaks when needed, practicing mindfulness and deep breathing, and connecting with others who may also be feeling anxious.

4. Should I still attend a conference if I am experiencing anxiety?

It ultimately depends on your personal comfort level and the severity of your anxiety. If you feel that the conference will be beneficial to your personal or professional growth, it may be worth pushing through the anxiety. However, if the anxiety is too overwhelming, it is okay to skip the conference and find alternative ways to learn and connect.

5. How can Pampered Chef support employees who experience conference anxiety?

At Pampered Chef, we value the well-being of our employees and understand that conference anxiety is a valid concern. We offer resources such as access to mental health professionals and flexible schedules to accommodate individual needs. We also encourage open communication and support for employees who may be feeling anxious about attending conferences.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Poll
  • esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Popinfresh78
  • Bren706
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
ShellBeach