• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Unsupportive Family in Direct Sales? Here's What to Do!

well, not too bad! My mother & MIL have been my best customers. But, when I extended the close date of my show, I only got 2 orders. BUT, I am not giving up!
jaye
Hi!

Am I the only one who has a problem where no one in the family will hold a show? My mom said that she doesn't want to have people over. I offered her to a book show for me! She works with TONS of people, she says, no... I don't know anyone.

She reluctantly agreed to do a show, and only got two orders, and that's I after I kept extending the close date of her show.

I just feel like she isn't being supportive. If she had talked it up even a little, I am certain that she would have at least gotten enough orders to qualify as a show, plus, I am sure that she would have gotten me a couple of bookings.

Am I the only one that has a family that doesn't help? And if so, is there a way to overcome it? At this point... I just bless and release. BUT, if there is a chance to get additional business, I don't want to pass it up!

THANKS!
Jaye

You're not the only one. I think some parents feel like they are back in Girl Scout Cookie days and that their friends and coworkers will feel that they have to buy. Do you know any of your mom's friends who would possibly have one? Ask your mom for their contact info and if she is okay with you asking them.

I have, she just says... I don't know anyone! LOL!!!

Good to know, I am not the only one.

OH! And then get this.... one lady that mom worked with, gave her an order to give me... my mom didn't give it to me for over a month! So now, I am sure that the lady must think it's me that's a total airhead... not my mom!

I had no idea that my mom had it!

<sigh> Oh, well... this too shall pass!!

THANKS!

Jaye

I have to say that my mom & MIL are my best customers! But, getting my extended family to host is a litter harder. I've had one of my aunts host, but none of the others:(

Not everyone likes to host show's. My Mom won't have a party for me, but she will go to and order from everyone's in the family. She just doesn't like to ask people to place an order so she can get something for free. I was shocked at first but then I realised that she spends good money at all of my family parties :) and that's how she supports me.

If your mom says that she doesn't know anyone (and you know she does) help her come up with her list of 40. Start it for her, she may not know she know's thta many people.

Thanks everyone!

I just think that in the meantime, I am going to work my business! And if she is interested, she will come around!

:)

I was in the same boat as you, My mom did a show for me reluctantly and she surprised herself with getting up to $250.00-- but my grandmother who knows tons of people refuses saying she doesn't cook, why would she want to do it... I even offered to do a fund raiser for her church, because I'm sure some of her friends and church family cook--but still she refuses. My mom is the only one in my family that has helped out (other than my husband) I have had a couple of orders through other family members (sister in law)but they make it perfectly clear that's as far as it goes. In desperation back in dreaded June, I asked my half sister and step mother to do a catalog show for me (since they both work in places with lots of people) and my half sister said, well, I'll talk to mom about it and we'll let you know--well, they never even called me back to tell me No!!!! Well, I knew I was low on the ladder with them, but now I really know how low that is! I have since been to dinner with them for a family picnic and none of them ever spoke of it. I talk with my dad about it and he says oh yea that's nice.... I just think for my family anyway,they think that this is a phase, I'll quit soon and it will all be over so why try and help or get tangled in it.... GRRRRR! I hate that... but now that I've had 2 1,000 shows, my mom is more excited about it and asks questions more often. YOU ARE NOT ALONE! You just have to prove them wrong! :)

I have been doing this for almost 2 years and have yet to do a show for a family member. They are just not into that kind of thing. My mom has gotten a couple of orders for me through her workplace, and my MIL has bought plenty from me, but I respect the fact that they choose to support me in different ways. My friends were my main source of bookings in the beginning.

Jaye - why don't you ask the person who gave your mom an order?

I think there are a lot of people out there that don't have parents support their business. My mother has placed one order. My MIL one and that is it. Of course none of my family is nearby but a catalog show sure would help! I feel like they are almost embarrased and I like the anology of Girl Scout cookie days. I hadn't thought of it that way. I just figure they know they can come to me if they want products and it really isn't for everyone. Right now I hardly ever do a show for anyone that I knew before I started my business so it isn't such a big deal. It just would have been nice to get me through some of the bonus months and such.

Good luck and just find the people out there that realize how wonderful the Pampered Chef products really are!

Michele

You are not alone! Since I don't have much of an extended family and I really am not that close with my mom and dad, it would be virtually impossible for me to even ASK that my mom do a show for me! I'm relying ona few friends and then I'm going to just have to start branching out with strangers if I plan on getting anywhere!

Don't feel bad. My mom will do but only once a year...which is just fine with me. She was my first and it was mostly catalog but next year she said she might do a bigger cooking show.

My MIL will not do it at all. I'm thinking of getting her a PC product for Christmas to warm her up. I think she had a bad experience with something breaking. But honestly, she's never been big supportive of anything I'm doing like that, fundraising, etc.

My sisters can't afford much and have a lot of product already so not really interested in hosting. The youngest just got married and will graduate next year, so as she expands her circle that may change. She does work for a shop now that rents linens for weddings, etc. so that might be a lead for me.

I think it's important not to totally rely on family or you won't grow your business...just my thoughts.

My mom helped me when I did my first show as a host by ordering a quikut paring knife. When I was a consultant for over 3 years she asked "Are you still selling that stuff? I don't like any of it and no I don't want any as gifts." But then she told my husband that she wouldn't mind having a chopper. lol

No you're not alone. Families are usually the hardest on us. They think this is a fluke and a waste of time and won't hear otherwise until they see you going on cruises and other trips and buying things you couldn't otherwise.

I'm spoiled. My mom has held a kitchen show for me and occasionally helps out with a catalog show. Since I recruited my sister, my mom usually helps her out by hosting. :) Poor mom! But, she does love Pampered Chef and she is great at telling her friends what she likes.

When I have a Mystery Host show, my husband and my dad are my helpers. My mom comes and shops.

chefjeanine said:
When I have a Mystery Host show, my husband and my dad are my helpers. My mom comes and shops.

Now my DID say she wants to shop my holiday open house! And she's ordered host specials and more on shows that booked off her.

I got orders from family members where my parents live and then put my mom as the host and ordered stuff for her kitchen that I thought she should have as a birthday gift. She is under strict orders not to use the stoneware until I get there...I'm afraid she would put it in the dishwasher!!!! She thinks the stoneware is so pretty that it is being displayed on her kitchen table. Until a few months ago, I couldn't get her to look at a catalog. I was trying to hit a sales goal and decided to call her and see what she wanted for her housewarming - they moved recently - and she called me back with a $200+ order for gadgets and some cookware. Suprised the heck out of me!!! She still hasn't told me what she wants for her housewarming....heh...another order...

Since your mom doesn't want to do a show; ask her if you can borrow her address book. Do a catalog show of your own with her contacts.

Charlene

Your Not alone!My mom told me to go and bother my friends and to leave the family alone.:mad: She did buy stuff though.

Your NOT the only one.....Although my mom is 1500 miles away, my inlaws have NOT been supportive AT all......my SIL's, both of them, have NEVER offered, have said no when asked....my MIL says "I don't need any of that stuff...." Needless to say my DH takes on the same attitude, which I have conquered THAT one....AND ONE of my SIL's is an AVON rep. and I was CONSTANTLY ordering from her and having to drive 5 towns to get my order or get it from my MIL's house....so I now use MaryKay....:eek:

I have asked my Sis who is down with my mom, and she doesn't have time, she works about 5 hours aweek okay?:mad:

So YES, I am feeling no support from my immediate "family" ....

BUT, I use to let it affect MY outlook on my PC career....like I was a bother to people and I was doing something "silly".....Not anymore though, so DO NOT let that attitude get into you either.....

Sometimes families just don't get it....just because I'm not making millions, doesn't mean it isn't beneficial right? PC products have truly helped me in the kitchen and I KNOW it has helped others as well, so it is making a difference in families most important time, MEALTIME.....so to all the unsupportive family members :p

I feel better now....thank you.....

Ooh I am so happy. My mom was like, "you're going to do WHAT?! Sell Pampered Chef? WHY!?" And I bugged her until she had an $1800 show in January and got over $600 FREE. Obscene. It was a great show with one booking that has rescheduled 5 times. Now I asked about her next show and she yells at me that she is never doing another one ever again. Like I'm insane to suggest it. She does like the products, but isn't a fan of the direct sales world. The killer is that she would do amazingly with this as a business. She has a million friends, they all love to entertain, they all have money...but anyhow...

My mom has said she will do a show after she has finished work on the yard so I'm hoping for later october or maybe november. I've suggested she and my step-sister co-host a show as both said "but I don't know anyone".

My mom did give me a check & a list of things to order "as needed" to help me qualify. And since she recieved the stuff she has talked more positively about doing the show so I'm hopeful my stepdad will have the landscaping done and it will be safe to park and walk at their place.

She has also agreed to let me use her house for some of my other shows/kosher classes/challah baking classes that I'm doing in MA every few months as long as I can work around my setfather's schedule. It gives us an excuse to visit, gets me to make the 250+ mile trip home, and is her way of helping with my new business.

Thanks for sharing your stories.

I don't rely on my family, my MIL said no right off the bat, my DH did tell her that she had to order. I feel so badly! I don't want her to see it as an obligation, but a desire to help, ya know? My MIL said that she doesn't like PC, because she doesn't cook, and the stoneware is too heavy! lol.

My mom used to be in the Direct Sales world, so she knows how it goes. She sold Avon, Christmas Around the World and about 25 years ago... Beeline Fashions (don't know if any of you ever heard of that!)

Get this, she even went to the same high school as Doris Christopher and met her and her husband!!!! She did say when I started selling PC in 2000, oh... I almost started selling that too!

Nice to know tho, that I am not alone in the family stuff!!! :) Maybe she will place an order.

I have reached out to the lady that did place an order with her. She doesn't seem too interested and she lives about 2 hours away... that's a long commute for a show with gas prices $3.00... but we'll see where it leads. I will be reaching out to her again this week!

Thanks again everyone for your support and for sharing your stories!! Nice to know I am not alone!!!

Jaye :)

I've been a consultant for 5 years, and my mom has never hosted a show for me.....and she refuses to use stones! And I always tease her when I search for things in her drawers and can't find Pampered Chef things, like scrapers, etc......she's got them....they're just not in use!

My mom is 70 - she's worked hard all her life, and has never really been in a circle of people who hosted parties or did the home party "thing".

That being said....I do feel my mom supports my business. She buys my nieces and other family members gifts all the time, and she's quick to share with others what I do.

I submit a show now and then under her name so that she keeps a discount.

My mother in law does the same thing.....she's a great cook and baker, but she would never, ever use a stone! I think she bought the pie dish once, but I've never seen it in use.

And these two ladies in my life see my stones in action all the time s0 they know what can be done with them.

I've never looked to them to have shows for me......so I don't look at it as a lack of support when they don't.

Melinda

In the almost four years that I have been in business, my family has not bought anything from me or hosted a show. My mom finally decided a few months ago that she would love to do a catalog show(I am in VA, she is in Las Vegas), so I set her up. In fact I did WAY more then I usually do for a cataolg host. Of course, it was a bust. I am positive that if I flew to Vegas right now, I would find the envelope with the host information and catalogs sitting in her car.
I just chalked it up to my family. That is the way they are...........

I have been a consultant for five months now, and have done 15 shows total now. My mom is one of my biggest supports, she is constantly buying stuff from me but at the same time tells me she doesnt' have the time to host a party, One day I hope she will!!!! But I am happy as long as she purchases stuff from me...

Related to Dealing with Unsupportive Family in Direct Sales? Here's What to Do!

What can I do to get my family to support my direct sales business?

It can be difficult when your family doesn't fully support your direct sales business. The best thing you can do is to sit down with them and have an open and honest conversation about your business and why it's important to you. Share your goals and how your business can benefit your family. Be prepared to listen to their concerns and address them with understanding and patience.

How do I handle negative comments from my family about my direct sales business?

Negative comments from family members can be hurtful and discouraging. It's important to remember that their opinions do not define your success. Instead of getting defensive, try to understand where their comments are coming from and respond calmly. You can also use their feedback as an opportunity to improve your business and prove them wrong.

My family doesn't understand the direct sales industry. How can I educate them?

It's common for family members to not fully understand the direct sales industry. Take the time to educate them by explaining the benefits and advantages of direct sales, such as flexible hours and the potential for high earnings. You can also share success stories from other direct sales consultants or invite them to attend a direct sales event with you.

What should I do if my family doesn't want to buy products from me?

It's important to respect your family's decision if they choose not to buy products from you. Instead of pressuring them, offer to give them a sample or invite them to a party or event to experience the products firsthand. You can also ask for their support in other ways, such as sharing your business on social media or referring you to their friends and colleagues.

How can I stay motivated when my family is not supportive of my direct sales business?

It can be challenging to stay motivated when your family is not supportive of your business. Remember why you started your business and focus on your goals and the positive impact your business can have on your life. Surround yourself with a supportive community of fellow direct sales consultants and seek inspiration from successful leaders in the industry. Don't let the lack of support from your family discourage you from pursuing your dreams.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Laura Kavanaugh
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Niki Kate
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • AshleyAllison