• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with a Sore Muscle After a Busy Week

In summary, the person said that they get these all the time and they are caused by different things like walking, working out, and playing sports. They said that the advil usually helps until it wears off and that they should file for a workman's comp claim if it is caused by work.
jenniferlynne
Anyone ever get these? How long does it take for them to go away? I've had mild ones before, but I've got one now that I have had for more than a week. It gets really sore by the end of the day. :cry: I take Advil since that helps with pain and swelling. I work at Home Depot, so I am on my feet on concrete. I am just part time, but this week I am filling in for someone, so I am working full time. As the freight comes in I am pulling it out of receiving on skids and walking it to the department that it goes to. Lots of walking and pulling heavy items. This is actually not what caused it. I had it before this week. We went to Disney World the first week of this month. I spent 5 days straight doing nothing but walking all day long at the different parks. Then when I came home I started working out on the weight bench. Doing arm and leg lifts. It still wasn't until about 5 days later that it started hurting.

I have had them before, but have no clue what you can do about them other than to try stretching the muscles.

Wait just looked it up in wikipedia. Here is the link...give you all kinds of info.

Shin splints - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Says rest is the best thing you can do for your shin splints :)

Last edited:
I have had them MANY times! (Mainly as a swimmer or ball player).Sometimes they can be very slow to heal especially when you keep working!!!!You might have inflammation of your tissue in the area, so try taking an anti-inflammatory. I recommend Aleve if you can handle it. You can take 2 at first dose, but no more than 3 in a 24 hour period. At night I would recommend elevating your feet to reduce any swelling in your lower legs, also soaking in an Epsom Salts bath helps relieve them some.

Oh, and if you are in a warehouse on concrete and doing receiving and hauling of skids, make sure you are wearing good supportive shoes!ETA: If you are still working out, lessen your reps or lighten the weights until they clear then GRADUALLY build back up and strengthen them.

I work at a theatre and a lot of the actors get them from repetitive actions on stage. The sports injury people always say to ice your shins along with rest, and elevation.

You should file for a workman's comp claim if you think it's caused by work. It can be very painful, perhaps they can supply you with better work shoes, or a padded mat to stand on when you are stationary.

Hope you feel better,

Katie

Thank you all for the advice. I do have a swollen spot on my left leg. It's not real big. The advil helps really well until it wears off. I take 4 at a time. My doctor had me take them once for another muscle I pulled and she told me to take 4 at a time.

I know it wasn't caused from work. I've been there for over a year and this is the first time it has happend. I'm pretty sure it was a combo of all the walking at Disney World and working out. I also did a step aerobics video that week too. I have done it many times, but it has been awhile since the last time. I guess I just over did it.

I wanted to get your advice because I didn't realize they could last that long. I had figured it would go away over the weekend since I don't work weekends, but it didn't. I think it may be getting better though. Last week I was only working 4-6 hours a night and some nights I could barely walk when I left. This week I am working 8+ and it is sore at the end of the night, but I can walk fine.

I get these all the time and have them right now actually from soccer. What you need to do is change your shoes. Get some good running shoes to wear that have proper support and cushion.

I second what Greg says you need good support, advil & elevate the legs

Hmm...anti-inflammatory meds, rest, elevation and shoe support seem to be the common theme from the start. ;)Get better!

I have been wearing a pair of New Balance running shoes. I paid quite a bit for them. They were very comfy when I bought them, but maybe I just need a new pair. I think I've had them about a year. I have two other pair of New Balance but they would hurt my feet if I wore them to work. The ones I wear now were the only ones that didn't. Probably just worn out.

I'm always ready to go show shopping!! I'll have to tell my husband someone suggested I get new shoes ;)

Our daughter gets them alot she is a dancer and most of her classes/performances are in foot undeez
she soaks in our jetted spa tub with the Epsom Salts (there is an aromatherapy one for soaking sore muscles)
she takes the advil too and increases her stretching time.

I used to get them all the time. I was a distance runner in junior high and I think it was poor coaching that led me down that path. During college I played rugby, so before and after every practice or game I would ice them for 10 minutes on 20 minutes off and do it twice. I used bags of frozen vegetables, corn or peas work best. Once I started doing that I never had any issues.

I am recovering from them right now. My Doc put me on "no running" for 8 weeks...I was soooo bummed, because I had gotten up to 10 miles!!!

RunawayChef said:
I am recovering from them right now. My Doc put me on "no running" for 8 weeks...I was soooo bummed, because I had gotten up to 10 miles!!!

wow 8 weeks seems a bit long. When I get bad shin splints (bad enough to really hurt when walking) I take a rest from physical activity for a week and then I'm ok. You must have a near stress fracture.

Shoes are so important. You aren't supposed to work out in the same shoes two days in a row. My guess is that you've had your shoes too long and you probably need two pairs of shoes, so you can wear different ones each day. Just my two cents. I'm not sure what shin splints feel like or if I've ever had them. Maybe that is because I'm very careful about the athletic shoes I wear. Also, I don't run two days in a row, but I know working two days in a row is probably required sometimes! :) Feel better, soon, all of you who have achy shins.

JAE said:
Shoes are so important. You aren't supposed to work out in the same shoes two days in a row. My guess is that you've had your shoes too long and you probably need two pairs of shoes, so you can wear different ones each day. Just my two cents. I'm not sure what shin splints feel like or if I've ever had them. Maybe that is because I'm very careful about the athletic shoes I wear. Also, I don't run two days in a row, but I know working two days in a row is probably required sometimes! :) Feel better, soon, all of you who have achy shins.

Maybe we should convert Rae from ankle kickin' to shin kickin' since they hurt so much! :D

1. How can I relieve sore muscles after a busy week?

There are several ways to relieve sore muscles after a busy week. One method is to take a warm bath or shower to help relax the muscles. Another option is to use a foam roller or massage tool to target specific areas of soreness. Additionally, incorporating gentle stretching and low-impact exercises, such as yoga or walking, can also help alleviate soreness.

2. Is there a specific product from Pampered Chef that can help with muscle soreness?

Yes, our Deep Covered Baker is a great tool for relieving sore muscles. Simply fill it with water and microwave for a few minutes, then place it on the affected area for a soothing heat therapy treatment. You can also add essential oils, such as lavender or eucalyptus, to enhance the relaxation and healing benefits.

3. How can I prevent muscle soreness in the first place?

To prevent muscle soreness, it's important to stay hydrated and nourished throughout the week. Make sure to incorporate a balance of rest and physical activity, and avoid overexerting yourself. You can also try incorporating anti-inflammatory foods into your diet, such as turmeric and ginger, to help reduce inflammation and prevent soreness.

4. Can I still exercise with sore muscles?

It's generally safe to exercise with sore muscles, but it's important to listen to your body and not push yourself too hard. Stick to low-impact exercises and avoid putting strain on the sore muscles. It's also important to properly warm up and cool down, and to stretch afterwards to help with recovery.

5. How long does it typically take for sore muscles to heal?

The healing time for sore muscles can vary depending on the individual and the severity of the soreness. Generally, mild soreness can resolve within a few days with proper rest and self-care. However, if the soreness persists for more than a week or is accompanied by severe pain, it's best to consult a medical professional.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• daniellemorgan
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
JenniHorn
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Bren706
Replies