• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with a Bad Check from My Boss: What to Do in This Stressful Situation

In summary, my boss placed a $250+ order as part of a co-workers catalog show for her son and daughter in law who will be getting married this month. The order was cancelled and a NSF notice was sent because her check was returned. A few weeks ago some of the company payroll checks bounced. The co-worker who had the show is going to be picking up the order and is going to call the boss to tell her that the check didn't clear. The boss is going to have to pay in
bsaxman
Silver Member
Ugh... So, my boss placed a $250+ order as a part of a co-workers catalog show for her son and daughter in law who will be getting married this month. I closed the show on sunday of last week, and had put the deposits in on saturday. Well... yesterday in the mail I get the "NSF notice" that her check was returned! Yikes! If that's not bad enough, a few weeks ago some of the company payroll checks bounced! I feel so embarrased for my boss, but I didn't expect something like this to happen, especially after the fiasco of the payroll checks bouncing. I just find it extremely embarrassing and extremely irresponsible on her part! If you don't have the money, don't place an order! I am so sick to my stomach and I dont know how I am going to approach this if the fund's aren't available today.... UGH :yuck:

Wow, that's a toughie!! I would make sure I talk to the co-worker who had the show and tell her you're picking up the boss's order to hold it until payment goes through. Then, call the boss and tell her that unfortunately, her check didn't clear and you'll be holding her products until she gives you payment in cash only. It sounds like there are some funky things going on, with the payroll checks bouncing, and now this, and I wouldn't want you to get screwed out of $250. This is one of those situations you just can't be "nice" about and let her get her products, b/c you'll never see the money. Good luck!!!

Oh No! Perhaps her check bounced as a result of the payroll screw-up? Check with the bank once more before you approach her.

I just sent my husband to the bank to see if just maybe the funds were available today... and... THANK GOD... (he answered my prayers) the funds were available! Woo-hoo. So now we are only out the $10.00 returned check fee. I still feel really embarrassed for my boss... should I just eat the $10.00 fee or ask her to be reimbursed? What would you do?

I would eat the fee to avoid the confrontation and embarrassment

Eat the fee. A couple months from now when everything is smooth and the fiscal penny-crunch is behind everyone, then talk about it over coffee - you'll probably get your $10, and your boss might even buy your coffee. Give it time. Having been in tight financial spots before, it is often as easy as a couple weeks for things to ease up, a couple months for there to be no problem any more.

I'm a little embarassed to say that the first time I ordered PC as a customer and interested recruit lead, my debit card payment bounced (sorry, Barb!) but she covered me and I paid her back once products arrived, plus paid her $20 anticipating the ISF fee on her end.

I can only begin to imagine the challenges faced by the company that couldn't cover its payroll. Give it time and be nice! (talk to folks about the opportunity!!)

i think that i would feel better about it myself if i just ate the $10.00 for the fee also... the business person inside of me says "MAKE HER PAY IT" then the REAL person in me says... they are having hard times... my commission from the show will more than cover it... just forget about it and be glad you got the $$ for it...

bsaxman said:
i think that i would feel better about it myself if i just ate the $10.00 for the fee also... the business person inside of me says "MAKE HER PAY IT" then the REAL person in me says... they are having hard times... my commission from the show will more than cover it... just forget about it and be glad you got the $$ for it...
If it's only $10, I wouldn't worry about it, she did place a rather large order. My bank charges alot higher so I probably would ask someone to cover that if they bounced a check.

bsaxman said:
That's probably a good idea. When she gets her statement with the overdraft fee she will know what happened (she may already realize it). She will probably admire you for handling it as you did. Hopefully she will make it right with you.

Whew, I'm glad to hear that the funds were there and you're only out $10. I wouldn't have wanted to go the route that I described in my last message, but I wouldn't have wanted to be out $250, either!! GL!

cathyskitchen said:
Wow, that's a toughie!! I would make sure I talk to the co-worker who had the show and tell her you're picking up the boss's order to hold it until payment goes through. Then, call the boss and tell her that unfortunately, her check didn't clear and you'll be holding her products until she gives you payment in cash only. It sounds like there are some funky things going on, with the payroll checks bouncing, and now this, and I wouldn't want you to get screwed out of $250. This is one of those situations you just can't be "nice" about and let her get her products, b/c you'll never see the money. Good luck!!!
Glad the funds were there.
I don't think it would have been a good idea to tell the co-worker that your going to hold the bosses items. That would mean letting the co-worker know what was happening. It's always best to be straight forward with people rather than spreading the info around to others, IMO. Now, you don't have to worry about it. That's good. I'm not sure I'd bring it up later, either. That could really embarass your boss that you've been sitting on this information for so long. If you aren't going to bring it up now, then just let it go forever. If your boss brings it up, then go with it. JMO

yeah i think i will just not bring it up! She may get the NSF notice from her bank, and talk to me about it... and if so, then I'm okay with that... otherwise, I'm gonna just forget it even happened, and carry on. If it were me in that situation I think I would be super embarrassed. In the future I think I will encourage the credit card payments.. then at least I will KNOW if it is declined after submitting the show.. instead of being hit by the "suprise nsf notice!"

1. What should I do if I receive a bad check from my boss?

If you receive a bad check from your boss, the first step is to contact your boss and inform them about the issue. It is possible that the check was an honest mistake and your boss can rectify the situation by providing a new check or reimbursing you for any fees incurred.

2. How long should I wait before contacting my boss about a bad check?

It is recommended to wait at least 24-48 hours before contacting your boss about a bad check. This allows enough time for the check to clear and for your boss to potentially catch any mistakes.

3. Can I deposit a bad check from my boss?

It is not recommended to deposit a bad check from your boss. Doing so can result in fees from your bank and potential legal consequences. It is best to address the issue with your boss directly.

4. What if my boss refuses to reimburse me for a bad check?

If your boss refuses to reimburse you for a bad check, you may need to seek legal advice. Keep records of all communication and documentation such as the bad check and any fees incurred.

5. Can I get in trouble for reporting a bad check from my boss?

No, you cannot get in trouble for reporting a bad check from your boss. It is your right as an employee to receive proper payment for your work. If you are concerned about potential consequences, you may want to consult with a lawyer for guidance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefJoyJ
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Ginger428
  • adauw
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pamperedmom71
  • wadesgirl