• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bounced Customer Check - What to Do?

In summary, the guest's check bounced and she is being charged for it. She may be angry and upset, but be very nice and try to get her to call you or pay you back.
pamperedval
Gold Member
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was just doing Quicken and downloaded transactions to find that a customer check bounced and I am getting charged $10 for it on top of losing the amount of her check from my account.

This is the first time this has happened to me. What can I do? Do I figure out who it was and contact them to have them pay me back plus the $10? Do I just write it off as a business expense of bad debt?

I am really bummed about it - luckily it was only a $27 check - but still...

Just wondered what other Cheffers have done (or would do) in this situation.

Thanks,

Contact the customer and request alternate payment, including the $10 bank charge.

For sure contact them... I've had it happen 3 times now ... one was PURELY accidental.. the other 2 were the same girl... I know--- I was trustworthy but stupid--- by all means call them. She probably feels terrible and may not even have received the notice from her bank yet. I think I've read on here that some consultants actually charge the $34 or $40 that banks charge just for the trouble it causes.

On the rare occasion this has happened to me I have called the customer and let her know (and I am careful of the message I leave so she doesn't get in trouble with DH). She is either appauled (sp?) and gets the cash including the charge my bank tacked on or she says "I knew that would happen." :eek: :grumpy: But they ALWAYS have paid me very quickly with cash.

You may be upset and even angry but be very nice.

If you can't get through to the guest, call the host and tell her that there's a problem with ______'s order and you can't get ahold of her and the show is being held up. Can she please call the guest or give you an alternate number? I never tell anyone that the guest's check bounced - I don't want to embarrass them and they appreciate it too.

Thanks Ladies!

I just called her and she gave me her credit card and told me to charge the extra $10 too. Is there any way to work that so that I get the extra $10 for myself?

I am confusing myself right now...

I haven't submitted the show yet - I was waiting for a couple other checks to - so at least I could put the charge on - I just don't know how to work it so that I can add her charge to the show, but still get to keep the $10. If I had a lady pay me cash, could I put the $10 charge on her order and then the extra $10 in cash would be mine?

Hope I am making sense. Anyway, she was very nice about it, said she had just made a deposit and was hoping that she wouldn't have been short...

Put the full amount on her charge card (including the $10). Then when entering the amounts that people paid leave $10 off so that the show balances. It works well if someone paid cash but if not then just put $10 less for someone's check and write yourself a note in her customer screen that the check was really the $10 higher amount.

Thanks Beth.

I had someone that paid cash so I just reduced her cash payment by $10 and put the charge on her order. So the full $37 will be charged to the bounced lady and I'll keep the extra $10 from the lady that paid cash.

Confusing - but it works!

grrrrr I had a check bounce last week and the girl wil not call me back !!! I just tried calling from my cell, but no answer. I'll try that again later.
The thing is , is that the host is this girl's cousin and I have a feeling she may be not nice about holding the order or giving it to me until I get paid or return it.
The host wasn't one of my most pleasant people to work with (was passed on from another cons.)
I haven't told the host yet I figured I would give the guest a fair chance to call me back before I go "rat her out" to her cousin.
okay I'm done just needed to vent!! :)

1. What should I do if I receive a bounced check from a customer?

If you receive a bounced check from a customer, the first step is to contact the customer and inform them that their check did not clear. You can also ask them to provide an alternative form of payment or make arrangements to pay the amount owed.

2. Can I charge the customer a fee for the bounced check?

Yes, you can charge the customer a fee for the bounced check. However, it is important to check your state's laws regarding the maximum amount you can charge for a bounced check fee.

3. How long should I wait before taking further action?

It is recommended to wait at least 10 days before taking further action. This gives the customer enough time to rectify the situation and make a payment.

4. What if the customer refuses to make a payment or does not respond to my attempts to contact them?

If the customer refuses to make a payment or does not respond to your attempts to contact them, you may need to take legal action. This could include filing a claim in small claims court or hiring a collection agency.

5. Is there anything I can do to prevent bounced checks from happening in the future?

To prevent bounced checks from happening in the future, you can implement a policy of only accepting cash or credit/debit card payments. You can also use electronic check readers to ensure the funds are available before accepting the check.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• adauw
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pamperedmom71
  • Michelle's Kitchen
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • jimgass