• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Crockpot Recommendations: The Best and Worst Models for Every Budget

In summary, the Hamilton Beech 6 quart slow cooker is great because the lid clamps down and it is affordable. The Beech also recommends getting a removable crockpot because you never know when you will need to take something with you. The rival smartpot is not great because it is too hot and has no "high" or "low" settings.
JAE
I need a new crockpot. Do you have one that you like and would recommend? Do you have one that you don't like? I'd love to hear from both sides because I would like to get one for Christmas from my mom or MIL. Or, I may buy one for myself. I use mine about once a week for chili, beans and sausage, keeping dinner warm when I have to leave early for a show. I would like to hear your suggestions.
Thanks.
JAE

Hamilton Beech...Stay or Go 6 quart Slow Cooker...it is great and I would highly recommend it for anyone...It is great because if you ever need to take something with you somewhere you can just take it and don't have to worry about it spilling over because the lid clamps down...We got it at Walmart and it wasn't very expensive.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any others?

I just have to say make sure it has a removable crock, that's my requirement.

Also, if you have a large one (which I do and love), make sure you never carry it by the metal outer part and plastic handles. My handle cracked while carrying a whole crock full of potato soup over carpet....Ewwww...........

I agree with the removable crock part. My mom had an old one that was so hard to clean and use. She upgraded and eventually gave me the crockpot I have now and I love it. The removable crock is easy to clean. I know some have a lot of bells and whistles like timers and such but it's my understanding that with an outlet timer you can make any crockpot do that anyway. I've got the separate timer, just never had a chance yet to put it into action. LOL.. Think about what qualities you really want in a crockpot and go with that. There's so many choices, varieties and such on the market, it's amazing!

chefheidi2003 said:
Hamilton Beech...Stay or Go 6 quart Slow Cooker...it is great and I would highly recommend it for anyone...It is great because if you ever need to take something with you somewhere you can just take it and don't have to worry about it spilling over because the lid clamps down...We got it at Walmart and it wasn't very expensive.

I agree with the Removable Crock as well...this one has that...with not a lot of bells and whistles...it is just a basic crock pot but you can take it anywhere without having to worry about spills.

I don't really ever take mine anywhere, but I supppose I might. If I take something hot to a function, I usually use a stone so it stays hot. No lid though. The one I have now is discoloring, like a film on the lid and inside. The lid isn't glass. It's plastic, like the easy read measuring cups. I don't think the low setting works right either. Do your crockpots throw off a lot of heat? In the warm months, I actually keep it cooking in the basement because it heats up the kitchen.

I'd say get a programmable one with a timer and a "keep warm" setting. I don't know how your schedule is but when I go to work I"m usually gone at least 11 hours...that's a long time for something to cook. I can set mine to cook for anywhere from 4-10 hours and once that time has passed it switches over to warm. I love my crockpot!

tinat51796 said:
I'd say get a programmable one with a timer and a "keep warm" setting. I don't know how your schedule is but when I go to work I"m usually gone at least 11 hours...that's a long time for something to cook. I can set mine to cook for anywhere from 4-10 hours and once that time has passed it switches over to warm. I love my crockpot!
What kind do you have. Is it too old to replicate?

It's a rival smartpot.

My next one will have a 'stay cool' exterior. A lot of heat escapes from my current model. With removeable crock, a must.

So have you seen "stay cool" models? I'm going to look on Amazon at the reviews.

Here's one NOT to get!I have a Rival Smart Pot & I absolutely hate it! I bought it because it came with 2 crocks. One was a regular one & the other was divided so you could cook 2 things at the same time. It doesn't have the "high" & "low" settings that most so. You either pick 4, 6, 8 or 10 hours. Everything we cooked in it scorched because it was way hotter than any other crockpot we ever used.

Wow Bev, sorry you don't like your smartpot. I've never had any problem with mine.

tinat51796 said:
It's a rival smartpot.
Does this one have a high and low setting? Does it have two crocks, too?

I purchased the following one in August from Amazon and I really like it!http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00080M8NY/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I love Euro Pro products...have a serger sewing machine, steam cleaner, steam iron--my hobby is sewing.Didn't realize they made a slow cooker, thanks!Meanwhile, the 6 quart Rival Cool Touch crock pot I had in mind is out of stock on Amazon :(

Debala715 said:
I purchased the following one in August from Amazon and I really like it!http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00080M8NY/?tag=pfamazon01-20
That one has great reviews. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

chefheidi2003 said:

I agree with Heidi. I have this Crock Pot and a Rival, and I love the Stay or Go so much more. I do take mine to a lot of pot-lucks (there's no stone to hold all the chili I make;) ) and like knowing I won't open the trunk and find a trunkful of chili...

How big is the Stay or Go?

JAE said:
I don't really ever take mine anywhere, but I supppose I might. If I take something hot to a function, I usually use a stone so it stays hot. No lid though. The one I have now is discoloring, like a film on the lid and inside. The lid isn't glass. It's plastic, like the easy read measuring cups. I don't think the low setting works right either. Do your crockpots throw off a lot of heat? In the warm months, I actually keep it cooking in the basement because it heats up the kitchen.

No my crockpot doesn't heat up the kitchen, that's one of the benefits! LOL... My kitchen is small and has no circulation so anything to keep it cool in the summer is a blessing. I like using mine when I need to go to a potluck. I can wrap it up and with the lid on it'll stay VERY hot and just plug it back in when we get to the destination to finish cooking or stay warm. Very handy for soups, stews, things like that.

chefheidi2003 said:

I saw this one on TV and they said 2 payments of 29.99 - I went to Wal-Mart last year early November and found them for 28.88 - that's all for just one. I bought 2 of them and I own many different kinds of crock pots and I have to say that this one is the BEST one ever.

- Just a note - I use crock pots alot for my bake sale/hot dog sale and these are so great, I also have a Christmas party every year and crock pots are all over the buffet table. I always get the white ??? color but these hamilton beach always look great.

Just my two cents worth

~

The Stay and Go is 6 quarts...

All I can recommend is get one with the "stay warm" setting. Mine is a 5 year old Rival simple one - with High and Low and I love it but my next one will have the warm setting. My friends has that and it is great especially for hot dips - like the one with the velvetta & salsa which gets cools and congeals in mine!

What we need is to have Pampered Chef come out with crocks that fit the slow cooker bases! Wouldn't that be awesome? All the benefits of a slow cooker combined with all the benefits of our stoneware!!! Amazing!! I can dream, can't I?

I HATE my West Bend Crockery cooker! Even on LOW it cooks WAY TOO hot. During the 12 or so hours that I have to leave it on, it scorches everything. (But my DH was so proud of himself when he bought it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago I don't have the heart to replace it just yet.) I may have to trip and fall with the crock or something and have it smash into smithereens!!)

tinat51796 said:
Wow Bev, sorry you don't like your smartpot. I've never had any problem with mine.

I'm wondering if there are different versions of this because my friend has one & she has never complained about hers at all. I hadn't had it very long before I started having problems with it. But it was long enough that it wasn't under warranty anymore. When you more the base, you can hear something moving around inside that I don't think is supposed to move! I have a couple of other slow cookers that I have had for years & they work just fine!! It also gets extremely hot on the outside.

straitfan said:
I HATE my West Bend Crockery cooker! Even on LOW it cooks WAY TOO hot. During the 12 or so hours that I have to leave it on, it scorches everything. (But my DH was so proud of himself when he bought it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago I don't have the heart to replace it just yet.) I may have to trip and fall with the crock or something and have it smash into smithereens!!)

Maybe you could "drop" the base! That way you don't have to worry about breaking glass!!

JAE said:
Does this one have a high and low setting? Does it have two crocks, too?

The high and low are determined by the cooking time. Mine only has one crock.

I have 3, all by Rival. 1.5 quarts, 3 quarts, and a 6 quart "Smart Pot." I love the "Smart Pot" feature since I am often away from the house for 10 or more hours.Of course, a removable crock is a MUST! My 3 quart is old, and the crock doesn't come out. If the size wasn't so perfect for 2 I don't think I would ever use it because it's a bit harder to clean than the ones with the removable crock. (Since it's only a 3 quart pot it's not too hard to handle and will fit in the sink.)I use one 2 or 3 times a week, easily. My favorite kitchen helpers are my crock-pots, my George Foreman grill, and my Richard Simmons steamer! In the summer I rarely turn on the stove or the oven.

For those of you who have the "Stay & Go", I have a question. I saw a commercial for it on TV yesterday & my husband asked if the lid can be locked on while it is cooking or only when it is being transported. He was concerned that if it could be locked on during cooking that it could become a "pressure cooker".

Yes

Look around at your local stores before buying this online/telephone

The price is much cheaper (as I stated above)

I LOVE my Stay and Go

~

Related to Crockpot Recommendations: The Best and Worst Models for Every Budget

1. Do you have one that you like and would recommend?

Yes, I would highly recommend our Pampered Chef Deluxe Electric Slow Cooker. It has a large 6-quart capacity, multiple heat settings, and a programmable timer. It also has a non-stick ceramic insert for easy cleaning and can be used for slow cooking, braising, and steaming.

2. Do you have one that you don't like?

We do not currently have any models that we do not recommend. However, our customers have had mixed reviews on the Pampered Chef Rockcrok Slow Cooker Stand. Some love the versatility, while others have found it to be too heavy and difficult to clean.

3. What are the differences between the models for different budgets?

Our Pampered Chef Deluxe Electric Slow Cooker is our top-of-the-line model with a larger capacity and more features, making it more expensive. Our Pampered Chef Rockcrok Slow Cooker Stand is a more budget-friendly option, but still offers the versatility of being used as a slow cooker, steamer, and Dutch oven.

4. How often do you use your slow cooker and for what dishes?

I personally use my slow cooker about once a week for dishes like chili, pulled pork, and soups. However, our customers have used it for a variety of dishes including roasts, casseroles, and even desserts.

5. Can I buy a slow cooker as a gift for someone else?

Absolutely! Our Pampered Chef slow cookers make great gifts for anyone who loves to cook or is looking to simplify their meal prep. Plus, our Deluxe Electric Slow Cooker has a special gift set option that includes additional accessories for the recipient to enjoy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies
Views
WLMcCoy
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views