• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Creative Recipes for Leftover Mashed Potatoes - Don't Let Them Go to Waste!

In summary, We had our November cluster meeting last night and it was a Thanksgiving feast. I brought mashed potatoes and made WAYYYY too many (8lbs). So...I have leftover mashed potatoes. I would hate to throw them all out. Anyone have good recipes? Not shepards pie (I have about 50 of those recipes and my kids won't eat it)!Thanks! I know there's a potato pancake recipe floating around somewhere that uses leftover mashed tots. And how 'bout some Gnocci?Potato PancakesI saw on the Food Network this weekend that Giada made potato pancakes. I am coping the recipe in here. She
Chef Kearns
Gold Member
We had our November cluster meeting last night and it was a Thanksgiving feast. I brought mashed potatoes and made WAYYYY too many (8lbs). So...I have leftover mashed potatoes. I would hate to throw them all out. Anyone have good recipes? Not shepards pie (I have about 50 of those recipes and my kids won't eat it)!

Thanks!

I know there's a potato pancake recipe floating around somewhere that uses leftover mashed tots.

And how 'bout some Gnocci?

Potato PancakesI saw on the Food Network this weekend that Giada made potato pancakes. I am coping the recipe in here. She put eggs on top of them to serve them, too. This is the whole recipe for what she made. The potato pancakes looked very good.
------------------------------------------------------
5 large eggs
2 cups mashed potatoes, chilled
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup marinara sauce, warmed
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.

Stir 1 egg in a large bowl to blend. Mix in the potatoes, then the flour. Using a generous 1/2 cup of potato mixture for each, form the potato mixture into 4 (4 1/2-inch) diameter pancakes.

Heat the oil in a large nonstick fry pan over medium heat. Fry the pancakes until they are golden brown and heated through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the pancakes to paper towels to drain. Keep the pancakes warm on a baking sheet in the oven. Pour off the excess oil from the pan.

Heat the pan over medium-low heat. Crack the remaining 4 eggs into the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until the white is firm, about 2 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the eggs over and cook for 30 seconds longer.

Spoon the sauce onto 4 plates. Place a pancake atop the sauce. Top each pancake with a fried egg. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve.

I know you said....
Chef Kearns said:
We had our November cluster meeting last night and it was a Thanksgiving feast. I brought mashed potatoes and made WAYYYY too many (8lbs). So...I have leftover mashed potatoes. I would hate to throw them all out. Anyone have good recipes? Not shepards pie (I have about 50 of those recipes and my kids won't eat it)!

Thanks!

no shepards pie, but have you tried the PC recipe? It's more like a beef stew, and they use the EAD to put the potatoes around the edge. You could also add some Ranch dressing or garlic for a different flavor. I don't know what else to say, we Never have left over potatoes.

In elementary school the lunch ladies made "beetle hats" . Not alot in nutrition but the kids love them for lunch.

Large scoop of potatoes
1 slice of bologna split from the middle to one edge
1 slice cheese
pretzel sticks

Heat potatoes. Fry bologna(no oil).Place the bologna over the potatoes to form the wings. Quickly place cheese on top to melt it. Place pretzels at edge of potatoes to form legs(you could use celery or carrot sticks for the legs)

melissakc said:
In elementary school the lunch ladies made "beetle hats" . Not alot in nutrition but the kids love them for lunch.

Large scoop of potatoes
1 slice of bologna split from the middle to one edge
1 slice cheese
pretzel sticks

Heat potatoes. Fry bologna(no oil).Place the bologna over the potatoes to form the wings. Quickly place cheese on top to melt it. Place pretzels at edge of potatoes to form legs(you could use celery or carrot sticks for the legs)

OMG that sounds so NOT healthy but SOOOOOOO delicious!!!!
Yummmmmmmmmmm!!

How about homemade Pierogies? They're really easy actually, and the kids can help. You can also freeze them; I make a LOT at once and then throw a bunch in the freezer for later. They are SOOOOO good! I add a few shredded cheeses, italian seasoning and butter/sour cream to the potatoes for the filling.
2 lg eggs (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour
2 oz cream cheese, softened
5-6 tblspns lukewarm water (start with 4)
Mix flour and salt. Separately, mix eggs and cream cheese. Combine flour/salt and eggs/cream cheese, mixing 20 seconds once crumbly. Add water to form ball. Process/mix 6 seconds. Let rest for 20 minutes. Roll 1/16" thick on floured surface. Cut into circles (the cut-n-seal works AWESOME for this). Add 2 tbs (med. scoop) filling. Fold over. Seal with floured fork. Boil until floating (few minutes). Use as desired. (I pan fry mine with butter and onions until golden brown, but I also have some recipes for pierogy casserole, etc)
*This is a single batch, but I usually double or triple it. With that much in leftover potatoes, it wouldn't hurt to do the same!Here's another recipe I have but haven't yet gotten a chance to try:
Tater Nuggets
2 cups hot mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
1 cup ground fully cooked ham
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
Combine potatoes, ham, cheese, mayonnaise, eggs, onion, mustard, salt and pepper; shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in cornflakes. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.Both of these recipes are definately kid friendly.. My 2 year old eats almost as many pierogies as I do.. I think he has hollow appendages. LOL

Green Bean CasseroleThis is my families favorite post-Thanksgiving MASHED POTATO recipe.

We have lots of different recipes, depending on what's left, but this one rocks for mashed potatoes.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Nikke's Green Bean Casserole.doc
    22 KB · Views: 318
Chef Kearns said:

Thanks!

Put them in the Floral Silicone Pan...press down so they get some of the design. Bake them long enough to get hot. When you turn them out, put a dollop of sour cream or butter, maybe some grated cheddar or mozzarella....:cool: :cool: :cool:

I add onion, egg and crackers to mine. Then flour both sides with seasoned flour and fry them. Kids love them for breakfast.

I like to take 2-3 cups of mashed potatoes, with 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, and salt/pepper to taste. Fill stoneware with mixture and top with ritz crackers. Bake for 20 minutes at 300 degrees and enjoy. I do this mashed potatoes and the whole family loves it. It's something my hubbies Granny used to make all the time and the family calls it tater stuff.

I stir in some milk to make them creamy, then add a big glob of sour cream and maybe some fresh garlic. Put them in a stone, small oval or deep dish baker depending on how many potatoes are left. Then I cover them with shredded Cheddar and bake until they are heated through and the cheese is melted.

Boy do I LOVE mashed potatoes!!!!!!

Leftovers are never a problem at my house. I will eat them for breakfast if I can. Plus, I never miss an opportunity to add more fat...I use real butter, sour cream (ok I do use the light variety), and cheese (something soft like Monteray Jack, or my favorite is Munester. But in a pinch, Cheddar will work just fine. I don't whip mine, just use a regular masher (of course now I will use my PC Mix and Mash) and leave them sort of lumpy.

I am getting hungry... tonight it's turkey loaf and mashed potatoes. Yippee!!!

How about the Homemade Gnocchi out of the Season's Best?

My Hubby's Granny used to make something she called Tater Stuff. You can use leftover mashed potatoes(about 2-3 cups), 1/4 cup sour cream, and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Mix together and put in stoneware--top with crumbled ritz crackers, bake 20 minutes at 300 degrees.

My mom has made this since I was little. It uses the leftovers and we never had a name for them. So one night we decided to try and give them a name and could only come up with "No names"

For each one

Take two cooked hot dogs and lay them side by side on the bar pan. Top with two scoops of mashed potatoes using the large scoop. Top with two slices of cheese. Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes at 350 just until the chese is melted. The potatoes and dogs should already be hot.

This sounds crazy but I love them. I usualy eat two of them for dinner or just one for lunch.

Theresia Aylward
Waiting for another rain and wind storm on the coast of Oregon.

Sounds delicious!

My family minus me loves hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes.

I have the recipe for thoseinterested, but it looks disgusting so now that I"m old enough to decide what/I want to eat I don't eat what I don't want/like :)

You can freeze them too. I put mine in Ziploc Baggies and they are great in a pinch for a quick side. I put them in the micro to heat. I also always have leftovers after Thanksgiving and make Cream of potato Soup. Just make a cream soup (flour,butter,onions,garlic and milk) and then add about 2 cups of mashed potatoes, Top with shredded cheddar, sliced scallions and crispy bacon. YYYUUUMMMM!!!!

Ginger428 said:
Put them in the Floral Silicone Pan...press down so they get some of the design. Bake them long enough to get hot. When you turn them out, put a dollop of sour cream or butter, maybe some grated cheddar or mozzarella....:cool: :cool: :cool:

Love this idea! thanks for sharing. :D Now I have to think of other strange (uncommon) ideas for this pan :eek:

1. Can I freeze leftover mashed potatoes?

Yes, leftover mashed potatoes can be frozen for up to 2 months. Make sure to store them in an airtight container or freezer bag to prevent freezer burn.

2. How do I reheat leftover mashed potatoes?

To reheat mashed potatoes, place them in a microwave-safe container and heat for 1 minute intervals, stirring in between, until they are heated through. You can also reheat them on the stovetop over medium heat, stirring frequently.

3. Can I use leftover mashed potatoes in other recipes?

Yes, leftover mashed potatoes can be used in a variety of recipes such as shepherd's pie, potato pancakes, or even as a topping for shepherd's pie.

4. How long can I keep leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge?

Leftover mashed potatoes can be kept in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. Make sure to store them in an airtight container to maintain freshness.

5. Can I add anything to leftover mashed potatoes to give them new flavor?

Yes, you can add different ingredients to mashed potatoes to give them new flavor. Some popular options include cheese, herbs, garlic, or even bacon bits. Get creative and experiment with different flavors!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jaye
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jdavis
  • jrstephens
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jrstephens
Replies