• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Turn Leftover Mashed Potatoes into Pancakes!

In summary, Jennifer tried to make potato pancakes by adding flour, cheese, and bread crumbs. She found them to be difficult to work with and burnt before getting crispy.
jrstephens
I have left over mashed potatoes. How do I turn them into potatoes pancakes?

I usually do a shepherd's pie but I do not have enough left over for that, so, I thought I would turn them into little fried potatoe pancakes. I hope I am calling them the right thing.

What I've always done is add some flour to it. If they are already thick enough, (you know, some mash potatoes are creamier and some are dense, you want them to be more dense so that they will hold together when frying them) then I use wet hands and shape them into a ball (I use wet hands because it makes the potato sticky which then make the next step easier) and flatten them out, I then dredge them in flour (the wetness from my hands makes them more sticky and they the flour sticks well and helps keep them together) I season the flour with S&P and garlic and onion powder, then I fry them in some oil, I don't use a lot of oil but enough to get that yummy crunchy outside.

Jennifer...I just made these last week and they turned out well...but were a bit too "loose" of a batter so they were a PITA to work with. Here is my recipe that I used. Next time, I will add a bit of flour to tighten up the batter. DH LOVED them, though!

about 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
about 1 cup shredded cheese (sharp cheddar works well...I used a co-jack and that worked too)
2 eggs (slightly beat them before adding)
flour (I am thinking 1/4 cup and see if that's enough)

I used our large scoop and plopped them into panko bread crumbs, coverd them, and then kindof flattened them out before putting them into my family sized skillet, with enough veggie oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Use medium to medium high heat...you WANT them to brown nicely, but not to burn before they get nice and crispy. Then, you have to gingerly but quickly turn them over. (think making a fried overeasy egg here) cuz they can be a pain to flip!

Drain on paper towel lined plate. They were yummy alone, but sometimes I like sour cream/salsa on mine!

Dredging them in the panko bread crumbs REALLY made a huge difference!

Both of those sound yummy! I will definitely be trying those out soon!

I will let yall know tomorrow how I do! I thought this would be good with hamburger steak we are having.

My potatoes are pretty thick. I do not like runny mashed potatoes.

I have Italian Bread cumbs. I wonder if those would work fine? Of course, I have flour, so, I could just combine the two recipes and use flour.

Thanks ladies!

I would say if you don't have panko bread crumbs, that the ones you have would work.

Panko just is sooo much more "flakier" than normal bread crumbs, so it cooks up super crunchy and crisp! It's the only thing I use on my homemade chicken tenders, too.

Are you asking for the Dan Quayle recipe? :p

EpTxGuy said:
Are you cooking Dan Quayle???!!:eek: That's a lot of DCB's and BBQ sauce!! lol...

We loved them!

I did add some flour once I got to working with them. I added cheese and then rolled them in bread crumbs.

I will definitely do this with left over mashed potatoes again. Probably just make extra to have left overs, ha!

I want to get some Panko bread crumbs and try them too.

EpTxGuy said:

;) I was thinking of making a similar comment - but, I wanted to be nice.:angel:

EpTxGuy said:

I just now got what you were saying! HA! I was a lot younger when that happened and barely remember it, ha!

1. How do I turn leftover mashed potatoes into pancakes?

To turn leftover mashed potatoes into pancakes, mix in some flour, an egg, and any desired seasonings (such as herbs or cheese). Form the mixture into patties and fry in a pan until golden brown on each side. Serve with your favorite toppings.

2. Can I use instant mashed potatoes for this recipe?

Yes, instant mashed potatoes can be used for this recipe. Simply follow the instructions on the package to prepare the potatoes, and then use them as directed in the recipe.

3. How do I store leftover mashed potato pancakes?

To store leftover mashed potato pancakes, allow them to cool completely and then place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can be reheated in a pan or in the oven before serving.

4. Can I freeze leftover mashed potato pancakes?

Yes, leftover mashed potato pancakes can be frozen for future use. Allow them to cool completely, then place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer them to an airtight container or freezer bag for storage. They can be reheated in the oven or in a pan straight from the freezer.

5. What are some toppings that go well with mashed potato pancakes?

Some delicious toppings for mashed potato pancakes include sour cream, chives, shredded cheese, bacon bits, and sliced green onions. You can also get creative and top them with your favorite sauces or condiments, such as ranch dressing, barbecue sauce, or hot sauce.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jaye
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jdavis
Replies
Views
Funkifolkart
  • pamperedbybarbara
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies