• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discovering Delicious Casserole Recipes: Sharing Our Favorites!

In summary, the author has been on a casserole kick lately and has made the cheesy chicken rice casserole and the kids liked it! She also makes a version of taco casserole which uses corn bread sticks.
Laura420
I have been on a casserole kick latley... I have never really made them till a few months ago... I recieved an old campbells recipe book that was filled with them and I made the cheesy chicken rice casserole and the kids liked it! WOW :eek:

I do make a few dishes that can be considered casseroles, but I never thought of them as that. They are mostly specific to the ingredients tho, like just veggies, pasta, potato, etc... But I am looking into the all in ones... the ones that have the meat, starch, veggies all in one... kinda ones... ya know?

I tried shepards pie, it was okay (DH liked it, the kids... not so much) so I modified it a bit and was better recieved the next time around... I also tried a Texas Tater one and the Chuck Wagon one and well, :yuck: !! I have made the chicken one I mentioned above a few times already, we liked that one, its a keeper.

So, now I am hunting for some really great recipes... and who better to turn to then you guys! :sing:

Do you make casseroles? If so, whats your fav?

Green Bean Casserole (a meal not a side dish)
Brown 1 lb of ground beef. Add 2 cans of cream of mushroom. Put in casserole dish. Top with 2 cans of green beans and motz cheese. Bake until cheese is bubbly, top with french onions and bake until crisp.Lazy Day Casserole (or Cheeseburger Casserole)
Brown 1 lb ground beef. Add in Manwich sauce. Layer 1 tube of crescent rolls into bottom of casserole dish. Top with ground beef. Top with 2 cups each of cheddar and motz cheese. Finish with another tube of crescent rolls. Bake until golden brown and bubbly.We have also made a version of taco casserole of the above. You use to be able to find corn bread sticks in a tube so we did that with taco meat and cheddar cheese and then topped with lettuce and tomato after it's cooked.

Thanks wadesgirl! I think Ill try the cheeseburger one. The boys like burgers... so It may just work! I the taco version sounds really good too! My DH, DS and I love tacos ... but not the 3yr olds... so I may be safer with just cheeseburger.

I found a Buffalo Chicken Casserole recipe which sounds like it would be good, but not for the family, cuz it would be too spicy for the little ones, but might be good for SBS.

In my Shepards Pie I only use peas and carrots since everyone likes those. I use a jar of beef gravy for the sauce and add french fried onions. In the mashed potato mixture I add cheddar cheese and french fried onions...bake until hot then add more f.f. onions and more cheddar cheese on top. It's been a while since I have made this, may have to fix it tomorrow night!
Deb

We like tater tot casserole, and the best part is, I add what I have on hand. I fill the bottom of the dish with tater tots, pour on 2 cans (drained) veggies, I normally use corn or veg-all. brown a pound of hamburger and mix in a can of cream soup, pour that over the veggies, then add some shredded cheese and bake til everything is warm. I normally just follow the tatertot cooking time and temp... the kids eat it so it is sucessful with me!

I really prefer my food without sauces all over it so we eat mostly grilled or baked meats and steamed veggies.

About the only casseroles I do are:
Chicken or Turkey Tetrazzini
Chicken Divan
Mexican Lasagna
Shepherds Pie
Green Bean Casserole (DH loves it!) so I make it for holidays

here's fabulous one! It is NOT figure friendly though :p
Those Potatoes
Shredded Hash Browns (the original recipe called for boiling Idaho potatoes whole until they are done but still firm then letting them cool and grating them - I do that sometimes)
Fill whatever size baking dish you want with them - not all the way to the top, leave at least 1/2 inch space (if you aren't using stoneware you will need to butter your dish)
salt and pepper the potatoes
Pour Whipping Cream over the potatoes - do not cover, when you can mash the potatoes wth a fork or spoon and see the whipping cream you probably have enough. Add more if they lok too dry while baking.

Bake at 350-375 for @ 45 mins - until warm and bubbly and potatoes start to brown.

Delicious!

One of my favorites is tater tot chicken bake. I'm not sure what PC cookbook it's in, but I can find it in my recipe documents if you'd like it. It uses, boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked in microcooker, then layered with cream soup, mixed vegetables, tater tots,and cheddar cheese then bake until heated through. I think some milk in there also (going from memory here):eek:. Guess I better make that again soon....:rolleyes:

Texas Hash is a recipe from the 1950's Betty Crocker Cookbook. I now make it in our 12" skillet. It includes Minute Rice, ground beef, peppers, onions and chili powder. It's been a family favorite for 50 years.

Attachments

• TEXAS HASH 2006 version w photo.doc
    320.5 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Im gonna try that one Rita, thank you.

Karen I'd love the recipe if youd like to post it.

That sounds great Rita! Think I will make it tomorrow night for dinner! Just need to get the green peppers! Have you ever made a half batch? That full batch would be way to much, although you did say it freezes well... hmmm!

Yes, Andrea, you can make just half the recipe. Note: the original recipe called for 3 onions and 1 green pepper with one cup of Minute Rice. As you can see, I have made some modifications and used twice as much (thinking Power Cooking) because I want
to have leftovers for either the freezer, or soup. I generally overcook with the second use in mind. If you do use Minute Rice, you put it into the mixture dry, and while it is baking, it absorbs the liquid that helps it expand and soften. The half recipe will fill the Corning Ware 10" skillet I have had all these years. If you use our 12" Executive skillet, it will fit nicely. I would use the lid in the oven so that it does not dry out.

Grandmarita said:
Yes, Andrea, you can make just half the recipe. Note: the original recipe called for 3 onions and 1 green pepper with one cup of Minute Rice. As you can see, I have made some modifications and used twice as much (thinking Power Cooking) because I want
to have leftovers for either the freezer, or soup. I generally overcook with the second use in mind. If you do use Minute Rice, you put it into the mixture dry, and while it is baking, it absorbs the liquid that helps it expand and soften. The half recipe will fill the Corning Ware 10" skillet I have had all these years. If you use our 12" Executive skillet, it will fit nicely. I would use the lid in the oven so that it does not dry out.

This does sound very good, although, since I joined Weight Watchers (this week) I am trying to find ways to skinny up recipes... This one doesn't sound too bad, but was thinking instead of the Rice-a-roni (I imagine lots of points and sodium) I could use brown rice, but not sure what to replace the seasoning packets with? Any thoughts, do they make like fat-free beef broth? I know they have chicken... I was thinking using all ground turkey. I might have to experiment with this. Thanks for sharing.

Personally, I love "Better Than Bouillion". In the soup section, look for small-ish jars of it; they have several flavors. I use the chicken one for Creamy One Pot Pasta and the Ham one for flavoring green beans without the fat. I noticed recently that they have added a vegetarian one and a mushroom one; they also have beef.​

LeslieSGI said:
Personally, I love "Better Than Bouillion". In the soup section, look for small-ish jars of it; they have several flavors. I use the chicken one for Creamy One Pot Pasta and the Ham one for flavoring green beans without the fat. I noticed recently that they have added a vegetarian one and a mushroom one; they also have beef.​

I love these! They have them in Organic versions too, which is what I buy at the Health Food Store. I use them to make cream sauces too which I use in place of canned cream soups. It's so easy and tastes so good! It looks pricey, but it lasts for a long time - it only takes a little bit for whatever you are making.

LeslieSGI said:

Wow, never knew about these, I will definitely look for them next time I'm at the store. Thanks!

ChefPaulaB said:
Wow, never knew about these, I will definitely look for them next time I'm at the store. Thanks!

Here is a link to a picture of them - so you know what to look for!

http://superiortouch.com/btb.htm

Wow! I had no idea that there were so many varieties now. I may have to look for more flavors although everyone already laughs at the number of "constants/condiments" in my refrigerator as it is. Sigh. It is tough being a "foodie".​

LeslieSGI said:
Wow! I had no idea that there were so many varieties now. I may have to look for more flavors although everyone already laughs at the number of "constants/condiments" in my refrigerator as it is. Sigh. It is tough being a "foodie".​

Were we separated at birth?

Everyone laughs at my refrigerator too. I'm the "condiment queen". And I am addicted to buying condiments. I love marinades, relishes, jams and jellies, salad dressings, all sorts of olives and pickles, sauces, etc.....

I had a friend ask me why I need 3 different kinds of mustard.

Ummm, doesn't everybody need 3 different kinds of mustard?:confused::blushing:

Re: Great Casseroles/Condiments
Yep. Begin hijack. I have "boring yellow", spicy brown, Dijon and sometimes even Creole and would love to have more mustards. Did I say I love mustards? At my house, the honey mustard gets classified as a "salad dressing". ;)
Whoa - what if someone started marketing a "Specialty Condiment Fridge" so we could have room for REAL food in the refrigerator? Nah, I guess that is entirely too decadent. End hijack. Back to the real world.​

ChefBeckyD said:
Were we separated at birth?

Everyone laughs at my refrigerator too. I'm the "condiment queen". And I am addicted to buying condiments. I love marinades, relishes, jams and jellies, salad dressings, all sorts of olives and pickles, sauces, etc.....

I had a friend ask me why I need 3 different kinds of mustard.

Ummm, doesn't everybody need 3 different kinds of mustard?:confused::blushing:

Just 3 kinds??

I have 4 open kinds of mustards in the fridge right now and another 6 or so in the pantry.LOL

rennea said:
Just 3 kinds??

I have 4 open kinds of mustards in the fridge right now and another 6 or so in the pantry.LOL

HA HA! I do have other unopen ones in the pantry too.:D

My favorite right now is a cherry mustard from American Spoon. It's absolutely yummy. They have a cranberry one that is good too.

For those of us who love condiments - American Food Spoons is a dream store! I love visiting one of their stores when we are vacationing "Up North" - they have samples of everything sitting out and you can try it all before you buy it. I end up stuffed by the time I leave there!

American Spoon Foods: Gourmet Food, Gift Baskets

Thanks for posting I've never heard of them before Becky. Just checked out their website and requested a catty. They have Cherry Butter OMG!!!!

my mom would do a casserole where you put a layer of hamburger down then onions, the sliced raw potatoes, can of cream of mushroom soup, and salt & pepper and then she would cook it in the microwave it was so yummy i might have to make that for the kids before i leave for leadership it is so yummy and fast.

rennea said:
Thanks for posting I've never heard of them before Becky. Just checked out their website and requested a catty. They have Cherry Butter OMG!!!!

And it is so good! I also love the pumpkin butter!:chef:

The Roast Apple and Onion Relish is also a favorite of mine.

DH & DS :love:LOVE:love: the Maple Cream, and the Creamed Raw Honey.

It's funny - when we go camping, we usually are near an American Spoon Store - and that's usually the only shopping I do!:D I love to go into the store and try whatever is new, and sample some of their demos - they are almost always cooking something delicious!

Back to the Texas Hash (post #9). In the cookbook original recipe, it used 1 to 2 teaspoons of Chili Powder, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. That recipe was for 1 pound of ground beef, 3 onions chopped, 1 large green pepper chopped, 16 oz. can of tomatoes, 1/2 cup regular rice (so you could use brown rice if you prefer). Those portions were for 4 to 6 servings. The recipe I attached was my revisions and double the original. No matter which version you try, you could use our Southwest Seasonings if you wanted to experiment, and make it more Pampered Chef friendly. Good luck.

Rita, I made the Texas Hash tonight, your way (except that instead of the Southwest seasoning or chili powder I used Tastefully Simple's Chili Mix). It was absolutely delicious, and so easy. Thank you!

What about this one? I never made it yet, but sounds good...

Layered Beef and Potato casserole

1 lb ground beef
2 cups frozen mixed veggies
1 jar beef gravy
1/2 tsp salt
1 bag frozen potatoes Obrien w/peppers & onions, thawed
2 cups shredded swiss cheese

Heat oven to 350. Spray 12x8 glass baking dish. Cook beef in skillet, drain. Add veggies, gravy and salt, cook till heated through. In baker, layer 3 cups potatoes and 1 cup cheese. Spoon beef mixture over cheese, top with remaining potatoes. Cover with foil.

Bake 1 hour or until bubbly, remove foil. Sprinkle with remaining cheese bake uncovered 5more minutes until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with paprika before serving.

dianevill said:
Rita, I made the Texas Hash tonight, your way (except that instead of the Southwest seasoning or chili powder I used Tastefully Simple's Chili Mix). It was absolutely delicious, and so easy. Thank you!

:eek: You used Tastefully Simple instead of ours? :confused:

JK

Laura420 said:
I found a Buffalo Chicken Casserole recipe which sounds like it would be good, but not for the family, cuz it would be too spicy for the little ones, but might be good for SBS.

Care to Share the recipe for this? I'm sure that it isn't Weight Watchers friendly, but worth a shot...

ChefBeckyD said:
Here is a link to a picture of them - so you know what to look for!

http://superiortouch.com/btb.htm

that will help, thank you! :cool:

ChefBeckyD said:
HA HA! I do have other unopen ones in the pantry too.:D

My favorite right now is a cherry mustard from American Spoon. It's absolutely yummy. They have a cranberry one that is good too.

For those of us who love condiments - American Food Spoons is a dream store! I love visiting one of their stores when we are vacationing "Up North" - they have samples of everything sitting out and you can try it all before you buy it. I end up stuffed by the time I leave there!

American Spoon Foods: Gourmet Food, Gift Baskets

Never heard of this store... Hopefully we can find one when we're camping this summer... not sure where we're going, thinking of Higgins or Otsego, probably won't be close enough to any of those locations.... we'll see! Thanks for the info! It looks really cool.

We love this - not alot of veggies like you want but its delicious! You could always experiment with some - maybe corn or peas. I use the lowfat soups and sour cream and that makes it a little healthier! Makes a ton and fills our rectangular baker up to the top! I always make this when someone has a new baby, funeral food etc....in two separate disposable casseroles so they can freeze it. I've always heard this called Chicken Tettrazine but when my friend gave me the recipe years ago, it was called Chicken Fettucini, so the name has stuck.

Chicken Fettucini
3-4 chicken breasts - boil, shread, and save broth
1 16oz box spaghetti noodles
1 can sliced mushrooms
1 small jar pimentos (use juice)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup monterey jack cheese
1 cup cheddar cheese - or any cheese blend to equal 2 cups

Add water to the chicken broth to make enough to boil the spaghetti noodles. Drain and place into Rectangular Baker. Top with shredded chicken. In batter bowl, mix soups, pimentos, mushrooms, sour cream and 1/2 of the cheese. Spoon over top of the chicken - I use our scraper to mash some of it down into the chicken and noodles. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

The mushrooms and pimentos are optional but leave in the pimentos if at all possible. They give it color and a really unique flavor. I always end up adding more cheese than it calls for! I also usually add a little Tony's Cajun Seasoning to the soup mixture. Havent tried a PC seasoning - I should! Enjoy!

christinaspc said:
my mom would do a casserole where you put a layer of hamburger down then onions, the sliced raw potatoes, can of cream of mushroom soup, and salt & pepper and then she would cook it in the microwave it was so yummy i might have to make that for the kids before i leave for leadership it is so yummy and fast.

Christina,

Do you cook the ground beef first?

Thanks!!

1. What are some easy and delicious casserole recipes?

Some easy and delicious casserole recipes include chicken and rice casserole, shepherd's pie, and Texas tater casserole.

2. What are some tips for making a successful casserole?

Some tips for making a successful casserole include cooking the ingredients separately before combining them, using a casserole dish that is the right size for the recipe, and making sure to evenly distribute the ingredients in the dish.

3. How can I modify a casserole recipe to fit my family's preferences?

You can easily modify a casserole recipe to fit your family's preferences by swapping out ingredients or adding in extra spices or seasonings. You can also adjust the cooking time to make sure the casserole is cooked to your desired level of doneness.

4. Are there any healthy casserole options?

Yes, there are plenty of healthy casserole options. You can use lean proteins and plenty of vegetables to create a nutritious casserole dish. You can also use whole grain pasta or brown rice instead of white rice to make the dish even healthier.

5. Can I make a casserole ahead of time and freeze it?

Yes, you can make a casserole ahead of time and freeze it for later use. Just make sure to properly wrap and label the casserole before placing it in the freezer. When you're ready to eat it, thaw it in the fridge overnight before reheating in the oven.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
  • Tracey Thompson
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
KellieM's Kitchen
Replies
Views
pkd09