• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Creative Ideas for Sushi Party Supplies & Tools

In summary, Anne is looking for any and all creative suggestions for items that could be used to assemble sushi for a party. She has: - Rice cooker - Bamboo specialty tool - Vinegar mix - Kitchen spritzer - Ginger wasabi sauce - Flexable Cutting Mat - Bamboo Platters - Bamboo Tongs - Kitchen Dishcloth - Pastry Mat - Japanese Salad - Tezu - Appetizer
sushimommy
Silver Member
I'm looking for any and all creative suggestions for items that could be used to assemble sushi for a party. So far i have:
Rice cooker
Julienne peeler
Core & More
Cool & serve tray
Bamboo spoons/specialty
Bamboo cracker tray

cutting boards, knives serving bowls (ginger, wasabi)

Bamboo snack bowls (petite and small)
Ginger wasabi sauce
Prep bowsl (to separate sushi roll ingredients)
Bamboo Platters
Bamboo Tongs
Kitchen Spritzer (fill with water)

Bamboo Dishcloth (for the hot towel to clen their hands before they eat like at restaurants)
Flexable Cutting Mat (to assemble sushi rolls and maybe help to "roll" them?)

I've done some Sushi parties. When I make the sushi rice in our rice maker (which does an excellent job), I then dump it out into the large square bamboo bowl. I take the bamboo specialty tool to mix the vinegar mix into it. This is such a great party, I love doing it as so many people are so interested in sushi and they all love to eat it. Please see attached as I've got some info and an invitation that I use.

Attachments

• Sushi Party Handout.doc
    28.5 KB · Views: 467
  • Sushi Invitation.doc
    64 KB · Views: 392
thanks, everyone, and THANK YOU, Anne for the handouts! :)

You're very welcome! :) Happy sushi-ing! If you have any further questions, I'll give them a go. As I said, I love to do this party. I also demonstrate garnishes at the end to dress up the plate - nice presentation. One of the garnishes that I do is the tomato rose. I also let people who want to try do it too. It's great as they use the petite paring knives - color coated one and the forged. I used to put the rose in the SA petite squares, but I guess not anymore - too bad, I love those little dishes.

Anne, have you ever tried using the Pastry Mat to roll your sushi? I think I will try it on my own and see if it could work. What type rolls do you make during the party? I am thinking for sure the California roll, but not sure which others . Also, on your invitation you list Japanese Salad - would you share?

I LOVE doing sushi at home- and I have dne it as a team building experience for my hubby;s co workers-

I found it to be a very long prep time- I guess you gave the guests help w/ the prep correct?

Can you provide the "recipe" of the sushi you make-

I would love to do this at a party- I have taken a prof class learned alot the rest it trial & error.

Oh and what about he mats- do you have a bunch- and let the host use them?

I make ahead just the rice, and do another rice (1/2 the recipe) so I can show our rice cooker. Then I do the vinegar mixture in a small pot and add to the pre-made rice which I put in the LBSB to mix up, etc. Keep covered! I get the Tezu ready. I have lots of the Bamboo Rolling Mats and chopsticks, so I use them. I don't think the pastry mat would work well with this...it's too large and flimsy. I do two kinds of rolls - the regular california rolls (Hosomaki) and the inside out rolls (Ura Maki) - with the Ura Maki rolls, I use black semame seeds or toasted white seeds (which could be toasted in our 8" skillet - takes only a few seconds). I cover my mat with plastic wrap (the seal and press works very well). The ingredients that I use for the rolls are: julienned carrots, cucumber (which I use the corer to take out the seeds), Thai tuna (tin) or salmon, spring onions or chives, could also do avocado's.

I set up the flexible cutting mats and let people try rolling one. I cut the sushi rolls in half, then half again, then half again. I arrange the rolls on the Bamboo Platters with the pickled ginger in the petite bamboo bowl, the soy sauce in another bowl. Garnish with a few sprigs of chives. Also I demonstrate the Wasabi. I use the powder, mix a little water into it and kind of shape it into a leaf. Etch the "leaf ribs" with the petite paring knife, then place it on the platter with the sushi. The salad (if making, but really you don't need it) I would make ahead of time and just tell how it's done.

Our old SA square set was great for this, but.....

I would also use our appetizer plates and caddy set for people to take a plate and help themselves to sushi. I set out chopsticks for people to use.

Please see attachments for sushi recipe and salad recipe.

Sorry my attachments didn't make it on the post. Hmmm what did I do wrong..lol. I'll try again.

It seems that my salad file doesn't work. I'll try to post that later.

Attachments

• Sushi Rice.doc
    24 KB · Views: 383
AWESOME!!!! I LOVE it-

one last question- do you let the guests do the prep? like cuke, carrot and such?

My Salad I'll just post out here....sorry my attachment file doesn't work.

Sunomono Salad
1 small daikon radish
1 small cucumber
5 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Peel daikon radish and slice into thin slices. Slice cucumber to the same thickness. Salt the veg's and wait about 5 min. Rinse off the daikon and cucumber slices and drain the water through a strainer. Mix the vinegar and sugar together, pour over the slices of daikon and cuc. Set aside for 15 min before serving.

This is a very simple, refreshing salad that goes well with sushi. :)

Note: When making sushi, there are 3 important points to remember - Color, Flavor, and Texture. :) Try to pick contrasting colors, unique flavors, and any and all textures. :)

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!!

I do the prep and let the guests do some prep as well. When we have enough done, then I demo the rolls and then let some guests try doing the rolls. Fun!

If you have the Santoku knife, definitely use it! Please say it right, HO says it wrong ... it's "san-toe-koo" not "san-too-koe" like they say in their videos. The word Santoku means "three virtues" or "three uses", because it's great for slicing, dicing & mincing. The indentations on the side of the blade are intended to make sticky foods (like the sticky rice in sushi) release easier from the knife while cutting. So it should help you get perfect clean slices on your sushi roll! :DI agree, with using as much of the bamboo as possible. Many like to dip the sushi in a sauce before eating. So maybe some of the smaller bowls with various dipping sauces. The Ginger Wasabi will probably go over well.

Yes, I agree, really good comments/thoughts for the Sushi Party. :)

1. What are some creative ideas for sushi party supplies?

Some creative ideas for sushi party supplies include using traditional Japanese tableware such as lacquerware and bamboo plates, incorporating sushi-shaped serving platters, and using decorative chopsticks or sushi picks for serving.

2. What tools do I need to make sushi at home?

To make sushi at home, you will need a sushi mat, sharp knives, a rice cooker or pot for cooking the rice, and a rice paddle for mixing the rice. Other helpful tools include a bamboo rice spreader for even rice distribution, a nori cutter for perfectly sized seaweed sheets, and a sushi knife for precise cuts.

3. How can I make my sushi party more interactive?

One way to make your sushi party more interactive is to set up a DIY sushi bar where guests can create their own sushi rolls using a variety of ingredients. You can also have a sushi-making competition or offer a tutorial on how to make different types of sushi.

4. Are there any unique sushi party favors I can give to my guests?

Yes, there are many unique sushi party favors you can give to your guests. Some ideas include sushi-shaped keychains, chopstick rests, or soy sauce dishes. You can also give out small bottles of sake or green tea as a thank you gift.

5. How can I incorporate non-traditional ingredients into my sushi party menu?

You can incorporate non-traditional ingredients into your sushi party menu by using different types of seafood or protein such as cooked chicken or tofu, adding fruits or vegetables like avocado or mango, and using different types of sauces or dressings to add unique flavors to your sushi rolls.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• andrealynne719
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kristina16marie
Replies
Views
chefann
  • pamperedlinda
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies