• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Countdown to National Conference

In summary, the conversation revolved around National Conference and attendees discussing various aspects such as workshop selection, registration refunds, and attire. Tips were also shared and questions were asked about tracks and a possible Chef Success gathering. The recommended attire is business casual with no denim or shorts.
I'll check my bag, even though it will cost me, no southwest here in SD! I'm leaving for this conference on my daughter's 12th birthday on the 12th, so needless to say I have to bring something home for her, it's the only way she would be okay with me leaving on that day!!!

Careyann said:
I'll check my bag, even though it will cost me, no southwest here in SD! I'm leaving for this conference on my daughter's 12th birthday on the 12th, so needless to say I have to bring something home for her, it's the only way she would be okay with me leaving on that day!!!

I sooo hear you. My daughters B-day always falls with in a day or 2 of me returning from conference then a few days after that is the County fair. I try to make sure she does not get jipped!

mscharf said:
I would not do this for any prescription meds! Any prescriptions (especially narcotics) should be kept in their original bottle with your name and info on it!!
Just don't want anyone to run in to any problems at the airport getting meds taken away! I might be a little paranoid, but hubby is a pharmacist, so we must do it by the book!! ;)

I was going to say the same thing. Especially since, depending on how much of your med you are traveling with (and the local laws), you could be arrested for possession of a controlled substance if you don't have the original prescription bottle with you at all times. I have joint custody of my kids with my ex-husband, and since my daughter takes anti-seizure meds, we were told by her doctor and pharmacists to NEVER send her meds in anything but their original container. So just be careful!

Jode7227 said:
Question: Is everyone bringing a carry one... or are most people checking baggage?

I have to do checked, because my first flight of the is a commuter hop and there's no overhead room.

My meds will be in the original container too. I'd hate to have something I need taken away. Expecially my prescription ibuprofen I have for my teeth.

I'm flying Southwest so checking my bags! I picked up my healthy and not so healthy snacks today, as well as some other needed items! I'm soooooo excited!!

Was just thinking about you Mountain Mama! Saw you're doing the cruise too! We'll have to catch up!

We will!! You're not going until Monday, right? We're going Sunday...

mscharf said:
I would not do this for any prescription meds! Any prescriptions (especially narcotics) should be kept in their original bottle with your name and info on it!!
Just don't want anyone to run in to any problems at the airport getting meds taken away! I might be a little paranoid, but hubby is a pharmacist, so we must do it by the book!! ;)

I just meant that she put all the original bottles in there together. That way they stayed all together among other things packed. I would never take out of the original bottles, many pills look the same!

If you think the bottle(s) are too big. Go to the pharmacy you get them at. tell them what is going on and they SHOULD label smaller bottles for you to take. The air police do not like un-labled bottles! Pat and I had to do that when we went to Vegas a few years back. My metformin bottle was too big.

Last edited:
mountainmama74 said:
We will!! You're not going until Monday, right? We're going Sunday...

We'll get there around 9am Monday morning- see you there!

Today is July 10. There are only 2 days left until the start of National Conference!

• Clear camera SD card so I’ll have plenty of room for pictures. Check.

• Extra batteries for camera. Check.

• Sticky note on luggage reminding me to grab my cell phone charger. Check.

Don’t forget to make sure you’re set for all of your electronic gadgets. If you pay roaming charges with your cell plan, you might check to see if you can add Chicago to your plan for just a few days. It could save you a bundle.

raebates said:
Today is July 10.
[*]Clear camera SD card so I’ll have plenty of room for pictures. Check.
[/LIST]

haha... we still have pictures from 2 Christmas's ago on our camera.

ChefMary412 said:
haha... we still have pictures from 2 Christmas's ago on our camera.

Oh...you'll want to remove those before you travel!!! I had pictures of my mom's 80th birthday on my camera and someone stole my camera in the hotel lobby during a distracted moment.

Keep my in your thoughts. I'm no where near pain free on my wisdom teeth and I leave Monday 6 AM. I put a call into the dentist (who is closed today) to get an answer to my relief. He took the pack out Thursday, saying it would help promote the healing. If that's the case, I need more pain relievers until it is on the healing path. Ibuprofen is not cutting it. I want to have fun on my trip, not worry about hurting all the time.

Dentist called. I'm getting new pain reliever and an antibiotic just to be on the safe side while I'm away from home.

Julie I am sorry your teeth are giving you so much trouble! I hope your dentist can get you something stronger .. but not too much stronger. I slept away 3 days after my wisdom teeth were removed because the dentist gave me some really strong stuff!

Oh I thought I might add something to the tips that Rae is giving. I don't know who this is helpful for, but some grocery stores (Kroger and Giant Eagle that I know of) give fuel perks for purchases with their loyalty card. Since I knew I will be eating at Cheesecake Factory in Chicago, I bought a gift card for Cheesecake Factory so that I can get the fuel perks on the cost of my meal there. If you know of places that you might eat or spend money in Chicago, then get the gift cards and get the fuel perks.

Thanks Angel! I'm picking up a new med today. I think the antibiotic will help too. Had I known it would be so much pain, I would never have done this two weeks before traveling.

lockhartkitchen said:
Dentist called. I'm getting new pain reliever and an antibiotic just to be on the safe side while I'm away from home.

Remember to have them in a 1 quart plastic bag & leave it out of your pocket book when going through screening at the airport. Don't put them in your check in. See you soon.....:D

Oh, I hate you're in pain and having so much trouble. I'll pray that you find relief by Monday. I had hemorrhoid surgery last Friday and am in pretty good shape, but still popping motrin often. Ill be hard to miss, I'll be the one with the doughnut pillow.

Ginger428 said:
Remember to have them in a 1 quart plastic bag & leave it out of your pocket book when going through screening at the airport. Don't put them in your check in. See you soon.....:D

Can you elaborate? Do ayou just carry them? Sorry for being so dense :confused:

Glad to hear it. hope you'll feel much better.

Wow, I've not been on for a long.... time! I've missed all these updates. I've been so busy with my new part-time job. One of the girls at the office quit and I've had to fill in. The good news is I got a good pay check before conference! I'm gonna have to read through all the tips tomorrow before I pack so I don't forget anything! I'm so excited for conference!

loreo said:
Can you elaborate? Do ayou just carry them? Sorry for being so dense :confused:

Doctors say that you should take your meds on the plane with you, not in your checked in baggage. What ever prescription pills I'm taking I put the bottles in a quart size plastic baggie & when it comes time to put everything in the basket to get scanned ie...shoes,keys,cell phones,pocketbooks take the baggie with the pills & place it in the basket so they can see clearly what it is.

Thanks! Was a little dense there for a moment...

Sticky note not to leave cel phone on car charger and thus forget it in the car!

Learn from my experience! I had to have my cel phone fed-exed to me and missed the first day activities!

Ginger428 said:
Doctors say that you should take your meds on the plane with you, not in your checked in baggage. What ever prescription pills I'm taking I put the bottles in a quart size plastic baggie & when it comes time to put everything in the basket to get scanned ie...shoes,keys,cell phones,pocketbooks take the baggie with the pills & place it in the basket so they can see clearly what it is.

Ditto- I have travel size shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, all under 3.5 ounce, and sample size of my facial cleansers, and a 3.5 hairspray that all fit in a ziplock quart baggy. I have it out and ready to put in the bin at security. Also, to make things go quicker, I always put my camera and phone in the bin, instead of leaving in my PC dots bag. (I'm not checking bags, so I had to limit to the small size of everything). I wear sandals and light jewelry, so I shouldn't "beep" when I go through. Also, remember to dump the water before entering security. You can take what you purchase AFTER security. BUT if you are changing planes at another airport, you may find yourself having to go through security again and dump any new water. I bought a snowglobe at airport #1 and at airport #2 had to go through security again, and was "questioned". They let me keep it, but warned me.

Today is July 11. There is only 1 day left until the start of National Conference!

Don’t obsess too much about what you might have forgotten to pack. You’ll be in Chicago. There’s little you could have forgotten that can’t be purchased easily near where you’re staying.

One more Day!! We are going to have so much fun!!

I leave in a few hours, Can't wait!

lockhartkitchen said:
Ditto- I have travel size shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, all under 3.5 ounce, and sample size of my facial cleansers, and a 3.5 hairspray that all fit in a ziplock quart baggy. I have it out and ready to put in the bin at security. Also, to make things go quicker, I always put my camera and phone in the bin, instead of leaving in my PC dots bag. (I'm not checking bags, so I had to limit to the small size of everything). I wear sandals and light jewelry, so I shouldn't "beep" when I go through. Also, remember to dump the water before entering security. You can take what you purchase AFTER security. BUT if you are changing planes at another airport, you may find yourself having to go through security again and dump any new water. I bought a snowglobe at airport #1 and at airport #2 had to go through security again, and was "questioned". They let me keep it, but warned me.

You can also pick up shampoo at the local pharmacy when you get in town in travel size. Makes it easy to not have to carry. I am doing that rather then having to mess with it. Will also pick up a disposable razor when I get in town to ensure no issues getting through security.:)

I'm in Boston right now on a mini weekend vacation with my husband... and am flying out tomorrow morning for Chicago!!

Today’s the day!

See everyone soon! I’m leaving in just a little while, and I’ll be praying for safe travel for everyone. The fun is about to begin!

Thank you for reading my notes and indulging me in my need to keep myself on track and to share tidbits of information.

WAHOOOOOOO!

I'm leaving in an Hour! See you there!

ChefBeckyD said:
WAHOOOOOOO!

I'm leaving in an Hour! See you there!

I'm here on the taxi way. Can't believe it.

Today is July 16. There are approximately 360 days until the start of National Conference 2011. Okay, so I'm not really starting the countdown for the next NC yet. But, this is an excellent time to make notes for yourself about what you want to remember for next year. Number 1 for me? Make sure to request a bathtub when I make my other room requests. Our room had a shower stall only.Whatever you forgot to take or took but didn't really need, make a note now. Keep it where you'll find it next year as you get ready for NC. I know people who for 3 year running have said, "I told myself last year that . . ." Don't be one of those people.

Thanks, Rae for this useful, encouraging, and often amusing thread. I look forward to your next countdown.

I know it must have been a lot of work to come up with these posts every day, but I hope you know how much we all got out of it!

And--welcome home!

Marghi

Rae it was awesome to meet you in Chicago. Your countdown certainly made my conference a lot less stressful as I was prepared. For the most part, the only thing I did not use that I brought was my mini first aid kit .. and I think I will still take that next year.

Thanks Marghi and Angel. Angel, It was so much fun to hug you! I don't always use my first aid kit myself, but at least once every NC someone else uses something out of it.Marghi, to be honest I don't come up with them every day. I've been doing this for 4 years. I keep the tips in a file and just share one each day. My next countdown will be for Christmas, and it will start in September.

raebates said:
Thanks Marghi and Angel.

Angel, It was so much fun to hug you! I don't always use my first aid kit myself, but at least once every NC someone else uses something out of it.

Marghi, to be honest I don't come up with them every day. I've been doing this for 4 years. I keep the tips in a file and just share one each day. My next countdown will be for Christmas, and it will start in September.

Woohoo! Can't wait. I also enjoyed seeing and hugging 'the weird little woman with flippy red hair.' I think next M&G, though, needs to be on a different night - we were all too tired to hang around long enough. We missed seeing ChefBeckD because we left too soon!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • raebates
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
chefjeanine
  • raebates