• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Countdown to National Conference

In summary, the conversation revolved around National Conference and attendees discussing various aspects such as workshop selection, registration refunds, and attire. Tips were also shared and questions were asked about tracks and a possible Chef Success gathering. The recommended attire is business casual with no denim or shorts.
Today is May 17. There are 56 days until the start of National Conference.You're packing your June and July schedules. I know you are. Don't forget to block out a bit of family time before and/or after NC. You'll also want to plan for a day or two to absorb all the NC info and start putting new ideas in place.

Today is May 18. There are 55 days until the start of National Conference.Travel can cause, um, digestive issues. While at NC, it would be easy to eat too little fiber and drink too little water. Plan ahead. Take some high-fiber snacks with you. Dried fruit, snack bars, and the like are portable and tasty. Make a conscious effort to drink lots of water. If you're picky about your water, take some of your favorite with you. Otherwise, just take along a refillable sport bottle. There are usually conveniently placed pitchers of water at each workshop. You'll feel better if you’re well hydrated.

Today is May 19. There are 54 days until the start of National Conference.Don't forget to pack sunscreen. Chances are you'll be doing a bit of walking around Chicago. That sun can be brutal in July. We want to make sure we all stay comfortable and healthy. Sunburns are definitely not comfortable, and skin cancer is not healthy.

Today is May 20. There are 53 days until the start of National Conference.I know there are lots of fun things to in the evening after the sessions. You’re probably already starting to make plans. Just remember to get plenty of sleep. It's hard to believe, but learning is actually one of the main reasons for NC. It's harder to absorb all that great stuff if you're too tired to listen.

Today is May 21. There are 52 days until the start of National Conference.If you haven't started a packing list, start it soon. It's probably best to make sure it's portable so you can jot things down as you think of them. Don't over pack, though. How to strike a balance? Why not talk with your roommates? You can probably share some things.

Today is May 22. There are 51 days until the start of National Conference.What to pack? Make a plan. You'll need business casual clothing with comfortable shoes for three days of workshops/sessions plus an extra day if you’re participating in anything on Monday. You’ll also need toiletries, a pen or two, and paper (note pad, loose paper, whatever you feel comfortable taking notes on). Yes, most workshops have handouts, but you might not want to take notes on them. For one thing, there might not be enough room on the sheets. For another, you might want to share the handouts with others. This is easier if they don’t have your notes all over them.

raebates said:
You'll need business casual clothing with comfortable shoes for three days of workshops/sessions plus an extra day if you’re participating in anything on Monday.

I need a good definition of "business casual". Does it go beyond "No shorts, jeans or tee shirts"? Is it slacks/skirt and blouse? Do capris and sandals (not flip flops) and a top count? What are the "no-no"s?

AmyDare said:
I need a good definition of "business casual". Does it go beyond "No shorts, jeans or tee shirts"? Is it slacks/skirt and blouse? Do capris and sandals (not flip flops) and a top count? What are the "no-no"s?

This is probably what you will see the most of at conference.

No jeans, shorts, sneakers...(although you'll see some of all of these, too:rolleyes:)

And can I add - no Hoochie-Mama clothing. I've seen some pretty inappropriate clothing at conference - Mini skirts, tube & halter tops are NEVER business casual wear.:eek:

ChefBeckyD said:
This is probably what you will see the most of at conference.

No jeans, shorts, sneakers...(although you'll see some of all of these, too:rolleyes:)

And can I add - no Hoochie-Mama clothing. I've seen some pretty inappropriate clothing at conference - Mini skirts, tube & halter tops are NEVER business casual wear.:eek:

Aww, man! Now I'll have to rethink my entire packing plan.:( Oh well, at least all of you will be able to keep your lunches down, now.:yuck:;)

I agree with Becky. My director is always in capri's and nice sandals. I on the other hand am a jeans girl, so I switched over to khaki's and nice tops - some blouses or nice T's like from Kohl's. Because of health issues (arthritis) I do wear nice athletic shoes - not dirty, scuffed up ones, but also bring a stylish loafer too. Tons of walking so comfort needs to be first & foremost. You will see all kinds - even the basic black cocktail dresses. I saw jeans and halters and many men in shorts. Please no sweats or track suits - saw those too.

raebates said:
Today is May 22. There are 51 days until the start of National Conference.

What to pack? Make a plan. You'll need business casual clothing with comfortable shoes for three days of workshops/sessions plus an extra day if you’re participating in anything on Monday. You’ll also need toiletries, a pen or two, and paper (note pad, loose paper, whatever you feel comfortable taking notes on). Yes, most workshops have handouts, but you might not want to take notes on them. For one thing, there might not be enough room on the sheets. For another, you might want to share the handouts with others. This is easier if they don’t have your notes all over them.

Here's what I share with my team to use. This doc includes a sheet for the director training event. If you use it change it to reflect your needs and your executive's name...

In past years I put them in a binder, a 2 pocket folder, a PC binder. This year I got file folders so that they can easily pull out the sheet to do their notes and can put that and handouts in the file folder for later. I am also giving them a plastic file pocket that snaps closed to hold it all - including receipts. Your director may be doing something like this too - check with him/her before you do too much prep yourself. Whatever you decide to do be sure to bring at least a notebook as a backup.

Attachments

• binder contents-Beth.doc
    61 KB · Views: 583
ChefBeckyD said:
Mini skirts, tube & halter tops are NEVER business casual wear.:eek:

Oh...that won't be a problem!! :)
Thanks all! I think I have a good mental picture now! :)

Thanks for sharing that, Beth.As for the clothing, yes, there will be lots of inappropriately-dressed people. That said, as long as you follow the instructions given by the HO (no shorts, no denim) with the addition of Becky's suggestions (no mini skirts, tube tops, or halter tops), you'll be fine.

Today is May 23. There are 50 days until the start of National Conference.Okay, so now that you know what type of clothes you'll need, make your plan. Plan out each outfit down to the jewelry you'll wear. Can you wear the same shoes* for more than one of your outfits? How about the same jewelry? Every decision either takes up more suitcase space or allows you more room.*Since we do so much walking and a bit of standing, it would probably be best for your feet if you alternate shoes. Wearing the same shoes several days in a row can worsen foot pain.

IN regards to planning clothes, I have been using "evernote". It is a program that can be used on the blackberry (and other phones), and the computer. It is a way of keeping notes, photos, and spoken notes. I have been using it to the grocery store to keep track of lists. But it is neat too... when I am out and see something on sale, I can take a picture of it and add it to my "notes". I think it will work well at conference too. I can take pics of things and then add notes to it. It is worth looking at. I am sure their explanation on the website it better than mine.. haha.

I need advice on booking my flight. I have my room secured and plan to arrive Monday morning but.....I need to make flight plans today. Do you think I can make a 2:45 flight from Midway on Thursday? The next flight out is 5pm and $25.00 more. What would you do? I did it last year = can I do it again? with more people running for cabs?:yuck:

Sorry, I can't help you. We drive in.

raebates said:
Thanks for sharing that, Beth.

As for the clothing, yes, there will be lots of inappropriately-dressed people. That said, as long as you follow the instructions given by the HO (no shorts, no denim) with the addition of Becky's suggestions (no mini skirts, tube tops, or halter tops), you'll be fine.

Ah darn. I was going to wear the new tube top to show off the ta tas. Hee Hee.

otisbg said:
I need advice on booking my flight. I have my room secured and plan to arrive Monday morning but.....I need to make flight plans today. Do you think I can make a 2:45 flight from Midway on Thursday? The next flight out is 5pm and $25.00 more. What would you do? I did it last year = can I do it again? with more people running for cabs?:yuck:

We went from Leadership in Denver straight to the airport and didn't have a problem Personally just to give yourself piece of mind, I would take the 5 p.m. flight for the extra money.

I would like to do a chef success gathering. I am a newbie to PC and NC. I would like to meet more consultants and get as many tips as possible on how to expand my business. I recently lost my Full time job and would like to have my business make up for that loss of Salary.

otisbg said:

I'm probably not too much help, either. My Director/friend and I decided to take an 8:30pm flight out because a) we didn't have to rush to the airport to make the 2something flight, b) it was cheaper than the 5something flight, and c) gives us more time to sight-see before going to the airport, and we can take our time and not worry about thousands of other consultants trying to get to the airport at the same time.

Thanks to all of you who helped me with my decision - I decided to go with the 5pm flight - suck up the extra$$$ and de-stress my life a bit. I look forward to meeting you all at the CS get together. Everyone have a wonderful day!:sing:

Yay, Linda! You made the right decision, I think. Looking forward to meeting you, too!

ChefAndiHV said:
I would like to do a chef success gathering. I am a newbie to PC and NC. I would like to meet more consultants and get as many tips as possible on how to expand my business. I recently lost my Full time job and would like to have my business make up for that loss of Salary.

Your wish has been granted. You'll find the information here:

http://www.chefsuccess.com/f104/chef-success-meet-n-greet-61091/

Today is May 23. There are 49 days until the start of National Conference.

The following was originally shared a few years ago by ChefAnn. Some of these we have no control over for NC (like planning too much in one day). Not every one applies directly to NC. Still, they’re good general travel tips.

8 mistakes that can spoil any trip

1. Winging it. Know where you're going to stay for at least the first night, especially after a long flight.

2. Packing too much. Limit yourself to one suitcase and one carry-on. Put a change of clothes and your daily medication in the carry-on in case your luggage gets lost.

3. Forgetting essential items. Make a list of things you frequently forget and put it in your empty suitcase.

4. Trying to do too much. Limit the number of activities you plan into each day. Schedule free days for long trips.

5. Trying to get too much work done at the last minute. Spread things out. You'll never have enough time to finish everything the day before you leave.

6. Calling the office too much. This can be a sign of insecurity or trying too hard to control everything. Your boss and co-workers know how to reach you in an emergency, right?

7. Misplacing essential items. Keep boarding passes, identification, passports, trip itineraries, and other documents in one small, easy-to-get-to pouch or bag. Put a bright sticker or ribbon on your luggage to make it stand out.

8. Leaving town without making arrangements to have the mail and newspaper picked up - a sure sign to would-be thieves that your house is empty.

raebates said:
Today is May 23. There are 49 days until the start of National Conference.

6. Calling the office too much. This can be a sign of insecurity or trying too hard to control everything. Your boss and co-workers know how to reach you in an emergency, right?
[/INDENT]

Years ago I took a day off to go downtown with my Mom and sisters for a day of Christmas shopping. The afternoon before, I told my 'big boss' (I worked under the Controller, and we both worked under the CFO), that if for some strange reason some kind of emergency came up that he absolutely needed to get hold of me, I'd have my cell phone with me (my point being, that in my job it was VERY unlikely anything exciting enough to be an emergency would come up during my absence). Well, there we are, walking down Market St., and my phone rings. It's the CFO with a question. Definitely not an emergency - I honestly don't remember what it was, but don't think it was even anything terribly important that couldn't wait until I got back. But, he found an excuse to call me, just so I could make an impression on my Mom and sisters!:D He was such a sweetie. Too bad 9/11 happened, and we had to close down. Well, too bad 9/11 happened, period.

Thanks, I can't wait to meet you all.

ChefAndiHV, that's one of the most fun things about NC--finally meeting fellow Cheffers. :)

Today is May 25. There are 48 days until the start of National Conference.Make sure you leave the hotel and conference center info for your family. They'll feel more secure knowing where to reach you in case of an emergency. Cell phones are are wonderful, but they aren't perfect. Knowing exactly where you'll be is helpful.

Today is May 26. There are 47 days until the start of National Conference.Traveling by air? Photograph your luggage and its contents just before you leave. If it gets lost, you'll have a record for the airline. (And, just being prepared often wards off this type of bad luck. You know, it’s the same principle as carrying an umbrella so that it won't rain.)It's also a good idea to squeeze the air out of your toiletry bottles before packing them in your luggage. It lessens the likelihood of them exploding because of air pressure changes.

Today is May 27. There are 46 days until the start of National Conference.Are there things on your list that you’ll need to purchase before you leave? Start purchasing them now. By buying one or two things each week or two, you’ll spread out the expense so that it’s barely noticeable.

Today is May 28. There are 45 days until the start of National Conference.Once you get to your hotel room, I know you'll be excited to talk with everyone and get started on the NC fun. Your stay will go much smoother, though, if you take just a few minutes to familiarize yourself with your surroundings. Where are the light switches, and which lights do they control? Where are the AC controls, and how do they work? Where is the emergency exit in relation to your room?

Today is May 29. There are 44 days until the start of National Conference.

From personal experience, make sure the clock radio isn't set to full volume on a mariachi station unless that's really how the people in your room prefer to be awakened. Seriously, have a discussion with your roommates about the morning routine. Who will get up first? Do the others want to be woken up, or will they set their own alarms?

Today is May 30. There are 43 days until the start of National Conference.Traveling by bus? Check to make sure what their boarding procedures are. On many lines there aren't assigned seats, and they tend to overbook. It may be necessary for you to line up for departure as much as an hour before your departure time. You don't want to delay your arrival because you didn't get a seat. Heck, you could miss out on meeting some of your fellow Cheffers.

Today is May 31. There are 42 days until the start of National Conference. Once you get to the hotel be sure to ask for the phone number for a good cab company. Program that number into your phone. That way you can call for a cab without any problem, no matter where you are. You may not need it, but it could be a lifesaver if you do.

Today is June 1. There are 41 days until the start of National Conference.While you're in Chicago, be sure to carry your hotel's address with you. After all, there is more than one Sheraton or Hilton. And, while PC is very important, not every cab driver will know where we're staying. This is important whether you’re planning to take a cab or not. Things happen. It’s better to be safe. I simply print the info on a small piece of paper and tuck it in my wallet.

Today is June 1. There are 41 days until the start of National Conference.

While you're in Chicago, be sure to carry your hotel's address with you. After all, there is more than one Sheraton or Hilton. And, while PC is very important, not every cab driver will know where we're staying. This is important whether you’re planning to take a cab or not. Things happen. It’s better to be safe. I simply print the info on a small piece of paper and tuck it in my wallet.

Rae these are awesome ideas. Again, thank you.

My pleasure, Angel. Thanks for reading them.

Today is June 2. There are 40 days until the start of National Conference.Once you've arrived at your hotel room, unpack. I know it's tempting to drop your bags and run out to meet all the other consultants and, especially, the other Cheffers. However, if you'll take just a few minutes to hang up your clothes, put your toiletries in the bathroom, etc., you'll save yourself time in the long run. Plus, if you're sharing the room and you're the first one to arrive, you get to stake out prime real estate for yourself.

raebates said:
Today is June 2. There are 40 days until the start of National Conference.

Once you've arrived at your hotel room, unpack. I know it's tempting to drop your bags and run out to meet all the other consultants and, especially, the other Cheffers. However, if you'll take just a few minutes to hang up your clothes, put your toiletries in the bathroom, etc., you'll save yourself time in the long run. Plus, if you're sharing the room and you're the first one to arrive, you get to stake out prime real estate for yourself.

Especially bathroom space! :D

That's true. Though, I tend to keep most of my stuff in a kit that I can easily carry in and out of the bathroom.

I forgot to include one odd thing I do in with my last tip. I clean my room. I take along a small travel pack of wipes and use them on the light switches, doorknobs, phone, clock/radio, and remote. These are things that aren’t necessarily cleaned by the housekeeping staff, and I just feel better giving them a quick wipe.

Today is June 3. There are 39 days until the start of National Conference.Take some time to familiarize yourself with our guest speakers. I like to Google the speaker(s) and read through what they offer. If they have a free enewsletter, I usually sign up for that. This way I know a little about what to expect from them at NC. Most of our speakers pack a lot of information in their workshops. If I already know the basics I’m not too overwhelmed by what they have to say. I can dial down on the details easier this way. You can find this year’s speakers at http://www.goforno.com.

Rae, I think this last little bit of advice is excellent. Last year I went to Tammy Stanley's workshop and found all the info to be a bit overwhelming. As phenomenal as she was, I probably would have gotten even more out of it had I done my homework.

39 days! I'm so excited to go!

Angel, I had the pleasure of meeting Tammy on FB before I ever went to NC. It was so much fun to get a hug from her, since she felt like she knew me. And, yes, I felt like I got a lot of detailed stuff from her. I was really glad I'd acquainted myself with her main points before NC.

Today is June 4. There are 38 days until the start of National Conference.We've been concentrating on our arrival, but departure is important, too. Why not get everything but the bare essentials packed the night before you leave NC? It will save you time that last morning when things may be a bit rushed. It will also lessen the likelihood of leaving something behind.

Today is June 5. There are 37 days until the start of National Conference.Pack light. Check out the Chicago weather a few days before you leave, that way you won't feel a need to bring clothes for everything from snow to a heat wave. Now, I’m a natural list-maker. I keep my lists on the computer so that all I need to do is update my National Conference Packing List from last year. However, if you’re not like me, I’ve found a great website. It’s packwhiz.com. It asks you a few opening questions, then generates a general list. You can add or delete items. You can rearrange the list. It’s pretty user-friendly. It even has a list of things to do before you leave.

raebates said:
Today is June 5. There are 37 days until the start of National Conference.... I’ve found a great website. It’s packwhiz.com. It asks you a few opening questions, then generates a general list. You can add or delete items. You can rearrange the list. It’s pretty user-friendly. It even has a list of things to do before you leave.
WOW!!! Packwhiz is SOOOO cool! Thanks for sharing that! I love it!I am not going to conference, but I read this thread every day because it has so many cool tips in it and it is so positive. Thanks, Rae, for this thread. There are so many cool free sites out there, my bookmark section was too hard to use to keep track of it. I use Diigo.com (Diigo - Web Highlighter and Sticky Notes, Online Bookmarking and Annotation, Personal Learning Network.) because it even lets me write notes as to why I bookmarked it. It's free too, and helps me keep all the great web2.0 stuff organized in my computer.Can't wait to use PackWhiz for my next trip. You can even save lists to refer to and update later.:love:Marghi

Thanks for the info! I just tried Packwhiz and I think I'll use it. I'm forever over packing!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • raebates
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
chefjeanine
  • raebates