• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cost of a Starter and Install for Your Vehicle: Quick Auto Question

In summary, KG is trying to figure out the approximate cost of a starter and install for her van. She forgot to ask her mechanic yesterday, so she makes an appointment today and talks to her neighbor who owns Bowen's Bus Service. Her neighbor is too busy to help her, so she has to wait until Monday to get the starter replaced. Her van has been giving her "whirring" warnings on startup and the starter drive is going out. She was able to replace her alternator last year for only about $95.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
Anyone know the approx. cost of a starter and install?

The one in my van is failing, I don't have time to attempt to install one, I've only done my alternator...so I'm having it replaced Monday a.m. at the shop but need to quickly figure out cost so I can try to adjust my budget to pay for it!!!!

Can't the shop give you an estimate?

I forgot to ask yesterday when I made an appt. - I was EXTREMELY busy at the time and got interrupted at work in the middle of the phone call.They are closed today and DH can't remember how much his was or where he put the paperwork.

What's the make and model? Hubby said the starter would probably be $100-$150-he said it shoudl be $200-$300.

It all depends on the car and where it's placed but I doubt you're going to get out of there for less than 200 bucks and probably closer to 300 by the time it's over.If it's less, let me know, so I can start driving to Rhinelander to get work done on my cars.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
It all depends on the car and where it's placed but I doubt you're going to get out of there for less than 200 bucks and probably closer to 300 by the time it's over.

If it's less, let me know, so I can start driving to Rhinelander to get work done on my cars.

Thanks - KG - I'll estimate $300-$350 then.

It's a '97 van so I'm figuring it would definitely be more than a car.

Our neighbor owns Bowen's Bus Service and he does work for us a lot very reasonable but he is too busy to bug him for this...I'd have to wait too long and even though it hasn't totally failed, I can't risk it...

When the starter goes, you don't.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
When the starter goes, you don't.

EXACTLY! :(

It's giving me those "whirring" warnings on startup... :(

That's the starter drive, or "Bendix" going out. In the old days, you could just replace the starter drive for a lot le$$ than a new $tarter, but you can't just replace the drive anymore, you have to replace the whole shootin' match.

Yeah, you can't do much of anything anymore - it's kind of depressing...I was able to replace my alternator last year though for only about $95. That wasn't too bad - cheaper than a tank of gas nowadays!!!!I wish we'd just start drilling!!!!

It won't happen as long as the do-gooders have congress by the short hairs. They want us to ride trains and horses...with diapers, of course.

This reminds me of when I was about 14, my famly had a VW Polo (I think the US equivalent was the rabbit, it was about the size of a Geo Metro). The starter started to go, sometimes it worked fine, sometimes not, but it was OK as you could get it to start turning over (excuse my lack of technical car lingo!) by rocking the car from front to back, which was pretty doable as it was such a small car. Except for the time my sister (17yrs) and I were out by on our own, and had to try and do this ourselves in a huge parking lot in our town... Oh, and of course it was a manual transmission too. Thankfully some big guy took pity on us and helped us to get it started!! Can you just picture these 2 teenage girls trying to rock the car?? :D I did love that car though, it's the one I learned to drive on :)

That's about as funny as the time I was in a Target parking lot in Racine with an Intrepid and a flat tire. The lug nuts had been put on with an adjustable air wrench and of course too tight...I was jumping up and down on my cross-shaped lug wrench to try to break them free.I was alone and not in the BEST neighborhood when this person of color walks up. (Only reason for my caution/fear). Anyway, he asks if he can help so I let him and he finally got them free (after much effort). I thank him and we part our ways.Next day my dad comes home from work and asks me if when I had a flat tire yesterday if I happened to be at Target...here to find out this guy worked with my dad! My dad was always a prankster and work and known to jump around on large industrial springs in the warehouse and clean the top of his forklift among other things...Anyway, this guy was telling the story and he said he had this odd feeling that it MIGHT be my Dad's daughter! :)It was pretty funny...Oh, and he was surprised I let him help me...he said he wouldn't have if he was me in that area. My dad told him I had one hand on my cell phone in my pocket, I was a VERY fast runner AND he taught me how to aim well when I kick! ;) These guys were great guys! Many even came to my dad's funeral a few years back...Rocking a car isn't as funny as a young girl jumping on a cross-wrench!!!! (At the time I was about 100-105 lbs. soaking wet).

Hmmm, we may have to start a poll, Janet! LOL! :p :D I think my story is funnier ;)

We were rocking a CAR!!! :D Although, it wasn't raining on us... So maybe you win! :)

PS I :love: :love: :love: Target. My DH says we should own stock in it. :)

OK, someone get me away from these smilies (I don't even have the cool ones!)

Well, I could start it with my funny van stories...90% of my driving life has been with a 15 passenger or a custom van...I've changed no less than 10 flat tires on them - actually I think my official count is 13 but not sure anymore, and have had many adventures so to speak...Back in the day when you could get away without seatbelts and didn't have all the under 18 restrictions, we had 32 people in my van to drive from Madrigal Dinner at the Dekoven Center in Racine to Chi-chis for dessert. People stopped to count how many people were coming out of the van...of course, that doesn't beat us getting 7 people in an '89 Honda CRX (2 of them were over 6 feet tall).

It says, right in the bible, that you can fit thirteen people in a Honda.It says Jesus and the Apostles were in one Accord.

Groan... :)

Related to Cost of a Starter and Install for Your Vehicle: Quick Auto Question

What is the cost of a starter and installation for my vehicle?

The cost of a starter and installation for your vehicle can vary depending on the make and model of your car as well as the location and labor rates of the mechanic. On average, the cost can range from $200 to $600.

How do I know if my starter needs to be replaced?

If your car is making a clicking noise when you turn the key in the ignition, or if the engine is struggling to start, it could be a sign that your starter needs to be replaced. It's also a good idea to have your starter checked during routine maintenance to catch any potential issues early on.

Can I install a starter myself?

While it is possible to install a starter yourself, it is recommended to have a professional mechanic do the installation. Replacing a starter can be a complex and technical process, and if not done correctly, it can cause further damage to your vehicle.

Does the cost of a starter and installation include a warranty?

Many mechanics will offer a warranty on the starter itself, but it's important to ask about the length and coverage of the warranty before having it installed. Labor warranties may vary, so it's best to clarify with your mechanic.

Can I use a rebuilt starter to save money?

While a rebuilt starter may be cheaper than a brand new one, it's important to consider the quality and reliability of the part. Rebuilt starters may not have the same longevity as a new one, so it's important to weigh the cost savings against the potential need for future replacements.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
cincychef
  • emiscookin
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
emiscookin
Replies
Views
scottcooks