• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Coring Cucumbers with a Corer - Deb's Questions

In summary, the Corer is a utensil used to core an apple or cucumber. It is placed over the fruit and used to scrape the seeds out.
4kids4me
At the risk of sound really dumb, I have a question about the corer. I just got mine yesterday and I can see how to use it to core an apple or whatever. But I don't get how to use it with a cucumber. The use/care card just says to put it "over" the cucumber (sliced in half) and remove the seeds. Can someone explain to me how it's supposed to work? Do you just scrape it with the corer from one side down to the other? if so, why not just use a knife? I'm confused..... TIA, Deb

Cut the cucumber in half crosswise, not lengthwise, then core it as you would an apple.

You'll want to cut the ends off the cucumber. Then cut it across the middle, not down the middle. Do it like you were making cucumber slices. Now use the corer down the center to take out the seeds. You'll have a cucumber with a hollow center. Does that make sense?

OHHH! Yes, that makes MUCH more sense now! I thought maybe you cut it lengthwise and then like rolled it or something with the middle of the corer, lol. I was just not getting it! Thx for 'splaining!

Um, one more question. Why would you want to core a cucumber?

The seeds can cause burping.

Diced cucumbers without the seeds are more attractive.

You can shove a cleaned whole carrot into the "core" of the cored cucumber and cut them together with the Crinkle Cutter. Cute "flying saucers."

The seeds of a cucumber are what cause indigestion. Many people do not like the seeds of a cucumber.

You can also make a cute garnish by coring the cucumber, then putting a peeled carrot in the center. Cut into slices and you have a pretty garnish.

Great minds think alike, Rae! :)

4kids4me said:
Um, one more question. Why would you want to core a cucumber?

1. the Seeds contain moisture -- a salad with cucumbers will keep fresh longer if the seeds are out

2. A weight watchers recipe I made last summer called for cucumbers w/o seeds (not sure why) -- it look a long time to remove the seeds w/o the corer. It was a salmon recipe -- and it was very, very good.

WOW you guys are so knowledgeable!!! Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I seriously had no idea there were so many issues with cucumber seeds! Live and learn every day! :)

As the seeds break down in the digestive track they produce a lot of gas.

I REALLY wish that there was some way we could see un-finalized orders (just to follow up with the guest). On my first show I had an out of town friend casually mention that she had placed an order for the mutual friends show. I hadn't QUITE finalized the show, but hadn't seen the on-line order. I looked everywhere and it wasn't on the website (I checked and it said 0/0 orders). My long distance friend said she didn't get a confirmation email so gave me the order over the phone (it was a $100 order so definitely affected the show totals and host benefits). I was REALLY glad we found out before I submitted.

My friend said she put in her shipping and cc info. She may not have hit the finalize button and closed without realizing it, but it would be nice to have someway to know that someone put in part of an order so we can follow up with them -- (maybe see items in the cart) --I got an email from a website recently letting me know that I still had items in my cart, something like that could be helpful!

What is a corer and how does it work?

A corer is a tool specifically designed for removing the core of a cucumber. It works by inserting the sharp end into the center of the cucumber and twisting it to create a circular cut, which can then be easily removed.

Do I need to peel the cucumber before coring it?

No, you do not need to peel the cucumber before coring it. The corer is designed to remove the core without damaging the skin, making it a quick and easy process.

What is the benefit of using a corer instead of a knife?

Using a corer allows for a more precise and consistent cut, as well as saving time and effort compared to using a knife. It also helps to prevent any accidental cuts or injuries while removing the core.

Can a corer be used for other fruits or vegetables?

While a corer is specifically designed for cucumbers, it can also be used for coring other fruits and vegetables such as apples, pears, and zucchini. However, it may not work as effectively on larger or firmer produce.

Is a corer dishwasher safe?

Most corers are dishwasher safe, but it is always best to check the product instructions or packaging to be sure. If it is not dishwasher safe, it can typically be easily cleaned with warm, soapy water.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
Replies
Views
Southern Chef
  • paulabatton
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Ginger428