• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking at High Altitudes: Suggestions Needed!

In summary, high altitude for cooking purposes is typically considered to be 3,000 feet or higher above sea level. Cooking at high altitude can affect the cooking process due to lower air pressure causing liquids to evaporate faster and leavening agents to expand more quickly. Adjustments such as increasing cooking time, decreasing leavening agents, and adjusting oven temperature can be made when cooking at high altitude. While most recipes can be used at high altitude, it is recommended to follow high altitude cooking guidelines for successful results. There are no specific tools or equipment necessary, but using a high altitude baking pan or oven thermometer may be helpful.
Chefstover2
I have a customer that recently moved to Colorado and is asking about "high altitude" recipes. I know that altitude can affect the way recipes work. Anyone tried anything from 29 minutes to dinner at 10,800 feet or so? Or anything from any of our cookbooks? What adjustments need to be made, etc.

Suggestions please...anyone? anyone? :)

Thanks!
Kristen

Hi KrissyPoo!!!!
I don't have an answer for ya but wanted to say hellooooooooooooo...

Hi Kraham-cracker!

Chefstover2 said:
Hi Kraham-cracker!

Hey now...that's "DCB-using, chicken-nuking, KrahamCracker to you!"

Bump! That darned Kraham cracker got me off track :p

Help please! Looking for help on how to adjust recipes for high altitudes.

Thanks in advance!

Kristen Stover

Related to Cooking at High Altitudes: Suggestions Needed!

1. What is considered "high altitude" for cooking purposes?

High altitude is typically defined as 3,000 feet or higher above sea level.

2. How does high altitude affect cooking?

At high altitudes, the air pressure is lower which means that food will cook differently. The lower air pressure causes liquids to evaporate faster and leavening agents (such as baking powder) to expand more quickly, resulting in baked goods that may rise too quickly and then collapse.

3. What adjustments should I make when cooking at high altitude?

Some adjustments that can be made when cooking at high altitude include increasing the cooking time, decreasing the amount of leavening agents, and adjusting the oven temperature. It may also be helpful to use a recipe specifically designed for high altitude cooking.

4. Can I use the same recipes at high altitude?

In most cases, you can use the same recipes at high altitude, but adjustments may need to be made. It is recommended to do some research and follow high altitude cooking guidelines to ensure successful results.

5. Are there any specific tools or equipment I should use when cooking at high altitude?

There are no specific tools or equipment necessary for cooking at high altitude, but some may find it helpful to use a high altitude baking pan or an oven thermometer to ensure accurate temperature readings.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• rkarl
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Kathy Friedman
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
ChefLissa
  • christy_c