• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Conquering Phone Fear: My Journey and Tips for Overcoming It

In summary, the speaker shared their experience with phone phobia and overcoming it in order to grow their business. They set a goal to make $10k more than the previous year and started making calls to past hosts and customers. The outcome has been positive, with rebookings and potential sales. The speaker also recommends listening to Belinda Ellsworth's monthly audios and articles for additional support. They encourage others to get over their fear of the phone and take advantage of the opportunities that come with it."
heat123
Silver Member
ok, I just had to share my story about phone phobia and trying to over come it! I got past my first year with TPC not making any calls.... 44 shows later and a new year with new goals and resolutions I decided I needed to get on the phone. No matter how much fear I have, I know my business can only grow from this!

Since I am out of my friends and family cirlce and I want to do better than my 1st years sales, I made a goal to do $10k more than last year, making at least the 1st level incentive rewards (fell short by $3k, due to starting in Nov of 05) and points could not be rolled over and vowing to make cc calls to connect with customers. So I started my calls last week and I am starting out with very small steps (2 calls a day) and it's been nothing but positive outcomes! I have had 3 past hosts who want to rebook for this year, a good response for product follow up (like she appreciated my check in) and a possible reorder for some other items!!!! Some calls have been messages left but that's better than not making any effort!

So my point, for those of you who have it, get over it and it will only bring good things! And if they so NO it just means move onto the NEXT Opportunity!! Listening to Belindas monthly audios and reading her articles has helped me ALOT too, so I highly recommend it! Thanks Anne for suggesting her site!
Good luck to all and get on the phone! You never know until you try!

heat123 said:
ok, I just had to share my story about phone phobia and trying to over come it! I got past my first year with TPC not making any calls.... 44 shows later and a new year with new goals and resolutions I decided I needed to get on the phone. No matter how much fear I have, I know my business can only grow from this!

Since I am out of my friends and family cirlce and I want to do better than my 1st years sales, I made a goal to do $10k more than last year, making at least the 1st level incentive rewards (fell short by $3k, due to starting in Nov of 05) and points could not be rolled over and vowing to make cc calls to connect with customers. So I started my calls last week and I am starting out with very small steps (2 calls a day) and it's been nothing but positive outcomes! I have had 3 past hosts who want to rebook for this year, a good response for product follow up (like she appreciated my check in) and a possible reorder for some other items!!!! Some calls have been messages left but that's better than not making any effort!

I think last week or the week before I had posted that I had NO idea what to say to anyone. I seriously felt sick when I was going to call people. Carolyn suggested to play netwinner and that helped a lot. Besides, the people that I did call to ask if they liked thier stuff, appreciated that I called and at least talked to them outside of the party environment. One of my aunt's said that a friend of hers (how was a guest that I called) said she felt that she could talk to me and that I sounded like I was just after her money. lol. I am terrible when it comes to customer calls, but after that I felt a TON better. :D Good luck with everyone on the PHONE!

I heard a tele class from Belinda Ellsworth about the "Power of One" and talking on the phone. (sorry if I'm reposting this information).

Think about it this way, if you make 10 phone calls and receive two bookings and let's say that your average show is $500. So take $500 X 2 = $1,000 X 20% or 22% commission = $200 or $220. That's $20 or $22 for every phone call you make. Is it worth it to get on the phone? Yup, I think it is.

SillyChef said:
I think last week or the week before I had posted that I had NO idea what to say to anyone. I seriously felt sick when I was going to call people. Carolyn suggested to play netwinner and that helped a lot. Besides, the people that I did call to ask if they liked thier stuff, appreciated that I called and at least talked to them outside of the party environment. One of my aunt's said that a friend of hers (how was a guest that I called) said she felt that she could talk to me and that I sounded like I was just after her money. lol. I am terrible when it comes to customer calls, but after that I felt a TON better. :D Good luck with everyone on the PHONE!

Before Netwiiner I used to give myself little incentives like:
*make 5 calls and you can go downstairs & have a hershey bar
*make 20 calls and you can go get a manicure
*after 50 calls you've earned a pedicure
etc...

Oh I wish that worked for me..the fear takes over..and I just goooo have a pedicure....LOL

Jilleysue said:
Oh I wish that worked for me..the fear takes over..and I just goooo have a pedicure....LOL

Ok - here's one for you...
"If I make 3 calls, I am allowed to check the CS message board for 5 minutes"
LOLOLOL

This is my fear also. I'm so not a phone person and I feel I would be putting people on the spot when I call.

I really HATE the phone too so yesterday at work I EMAILED people individually. I ended up getting 4 bookings and never picked up a phone-WOO HOO!!!!:D

I first try email but after no response most of the time I then decided the phone has got to be my friend!

Kristin -
Can you post what you sent in the emails that got such a great response with bookings?!

I try to mix the phone and emails as I figure some people are easier to reach over the computer and lots of people are visual so if they "see" the special or whatever I am offering it might work - but I have never had 4 bookings from sending emails!

I'd love to know your secret.

Thanks -

Val

I agree that personal e-mails get a lot better response than mass e-mails! If anything it gives them some info (upcoming specials, etc.) that they might be thinking about before you call to follow up!

Dang it - I can't sleep because I am all wound up about this business. I want more info about the recruiting changes. I have a couple of people that were waiting until the first of the year to get involved.

I still don't like the phone but I am going through my drawing slips from craft fairs and such.

The Level 2 Cruise has me very excited - I just missed level one by less than $1500. I have only been in the biz for 8 months. This time I get a whole year and I am not going to wait until the last minutei. The trip is the week after my husband's birthday and although he loves the Carribean he has never been to Nassau.

Kathy - Going Cruising Are you going to join me?????

What is netwinner and who is Belinda and where do you find her articles? Also, has PC already posted the new trip incentives for 2007? Where can I find them?

Shonda1107 said:
What is netwinner and who is Belinda and where do you find her articles? Also, has PC already posted the new trip incentives for 2007? Where can I find them?

You can check out netwinner here:
http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=dannyzmom

Several of us have been earning free Gift Certificates just by playing while doing other things.

Belinda Elsworth is an incredible Direct Sales Moticational speaker - if you google her name you'll find fabulous resources.

Trip incentive info for the 2007 incentive is posted on the front pacge of Consultant's Corner

:)

Kathytnt said:
Kathy - Going Cruising Are you going to join me?????
I am going with you!!!!!!!!!

What is Belinda's website address?

pamperedval said:
Kristin -
Can you post what you sent in the emails that got such a great response with bookings?!

I try to mix the phone and emails as I figure some people are easier to reach over the computer and lots of people are visual so if they "see" the special or whatever I am offering it might work - but I have never had 4 bookings from sending emails!

I'd love to know your secret.

Thanks -

Val
Dear ( )
How are you?

I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I am trying to reach a goal for PC during the month of February and I am reaching out to all my past hosts and friends and family. They are offering double points in February towards a trip and I really want to earn it this year! Would you be willing to have a catalog show or have a cooking show in February? If not I understand. I have to ask.

Thanks Kristin -

Direct and to the point and it worked!

I might have to try that - sometimes I feel like I get too wordy trying to give too much information or beat around the bush first...

Appreciate your help.

Val

update.. made 5 Calls today! No bookings or orders but those who I spoke to really sounded appreciative that I was calling and I ended up giving some recipes to 1 gal who reallly thanked me for offering them! It's getting a little easier each day!
Thanks to those with their stories it's supportive and inspiring to read them!

dannyzmom said:
You can check out netwinner here:
http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=dannyzmom

Several of us have been earning free Gift Certificates just by playing while doing other things.

Belinda Elsworth is an incredible Direct Sales Moticational speaker - if you google her name you'll find fabulous resources.

Trip incentive info for the 2007 incentive is posted on the front pacge of Consultant's Corner

:)

I joined Netwinner and it is so fun!!

I want so badly to earn a trip. We haven't had a vacation in over 14 yrs. If I had people to call I would. Most of the slips that I get from my shows they omit personal info. I think I will start telling people that unless the form is filled out completely and legible they will not be in the drawing. I am going to start offering a $100. bill. (my cell phone bill or my gas bill should do it) LOL
Valky

Me too! Any level would be great for me!

Ps. I do mention they have to fill out the Drawing slip completely to be entered into the raffle!

heat123 said:
Me too! Any level would be great for me!

Ps. I do mention they have to fill out the Drawing slip completely to be entered into the raffle!
Heather- You are AWESOME!! Keep it up! I'm finally back on here reading through the hundreds of posts since before Leadership and saw yours. Way to go. I'm very proud of you and it's great that you've posted this so it's inspiration for others. Keep it up. you're on fire!:D

Thanks Becky! I missed ya while you were gone! Hope you had fun!

I love this
chefkristin said:
Dear ( )
How are you?

I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I am trying to reach a goal for PC during the month of February and I am reaching out to all my past hosts and friends and family. They are offering double points in February towards a trip and I really want to earn it this year! Would you be willing to have a catalog show or have a cooking show in February? If not I understand. I have to ask.

I am also offering the heart trivet for my Feb hosts. Its a win, win situation.

Highly recommend BEs site and can't wait for her CDs!

chefkristin said:
Dear ( )
How are you?

Thanks for sharing this email Kristin! I had 1 show cancel-postpone for Feb. last week and wanted to fill it back up so I emailed about 12 people and got 2 responses so far! Awesome!

dannyzmom said:
LOLOLOL

HAHAHA. Ok that is working.

You'll all be very proud of me. I just spent the last hour making calls. I used what Kristin posted for her email and called people instead. I got 4 catalogue shows and a cooking show and some who just want in on the 20% off guest special for the stones. JUST PICK UP THAT PHONE! You'll be glad you did, I know I am. I'm only up to "S" in my phone book so still have lots to call yet. Wish me luck.

heat123 said:
Thanks for sharing this email Kristin! I had 1 show cancel-postpone for Feb. last week and wanted to fill it back up so I emailed about 12 people and got 2 responses so far! Awesome!
Your Welcome!! I still have to talk myself into getting on the phone. I just don't know what to say.

GREAT JOB Cheryl!!!! Keep up the momentum!!!!

PS. Update, I have gotten 5 responses from this email so far!!

I've sent out five emails and got one catalog show from it. Woo-hoooo!

Bumping to let y'all know that I sent out a total of eight and got three catalog shows and a cooking show. That's a 50% yes rate!Going to send more in the next few days... will report back.Thanks so much, Kristin!

Side note on CC calls: I called left a message, then emailed my past guest re: her order and she actually called me back! She just wanted to thank me for checking in on her products and she said she would be interested at a later time to do a catty show! So it just goes to show, CC calls can only help! Even if it's just them feeling greatful that we are calling to check in!

WOW!! Looks like Kristin's email idea has some puch for us phnoe-a-phobics. Gonna have to give it a shot..

dannyzmom said:
LOLOLOL

Here is my problem:

If I spend at least 5 minutes (more like 55) on CS message boards , I will have found the courage to make the 3 calls.

Just kidding........

I sent out that email Kristin posted...only to 3 people so far and 2 have booked! They both said "of course I'll help you out!" so I'm really excited! I've tapped out most of my friends in the past 2 months so I'm only going to send it to 3 more people, but I did make some phone calls and got another catalog show out of it. I'm really desperate for 2 more bookings before FEB20 (the end of my SS program). I have a show on FEB15, FEB18 and 2 catalog shows. Plus my friend said probably FEB11....I don't know if I'll be able to book 2 more before then!Now I'm rambling...

Ps. another side note CC call... I made a call last week and simply left a message asking her if there was anything I could do for her to please call etc. and she called back saying she would like a re-order! Yippee! So my calls are making a difference!
Good luck and the phone is your freind!

I seem to be much better on the phone then I am in person. Maybe its because I worked in a call center for 4 years...LOL :p

For me it's totally opposite, I totally stumble on the phone, esp. if I dont' have some sort of script in front of me! LOL

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcmckay
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
TheNewMrsRue
Replies
Views
Wildfire
Replies
Views
Sk8Mom209