• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Community Education/Adult Education

In summary, Melinda is seeking advice for teaching cooking classes for kids and adults. She plans to use the Let's Eat cookbook for the kids' class and is interested in a mix of hands-on and demo formats. She also asks for advice on pricing and class flow. Others are invited to share their experiences and wisdom on the topic.
melindag
Hello everyone! I'm planning to do some classes for our local rec dept this summer and am trying to pull together my proposals and plans. I'd love to hear from others who may be doing this.

I'm thinking about doing a hands-on class with kids, probably direct it towards 10-13 year olds, and will pull recipes from the Let's Eat cookbook. I recently put my daughter's girl scout troop through their cooking badge and that worked out really well...so will use basically the same format for that for this one.

I'd also like to do a power cooking/investment cooking class for adults, and maybe Fast Family Meals.

The last time I did this, I did a pizza class, and a cookie class, and an appetizer class. They were all fun and very well received, hands-on with several "stations" with 1-2 people working on each recipe - and everyone feasted on all items made afterwards. But I ran around like a nut! I ended up feeling like I approached this opportunity from the wrong angle and worked it much harder than I needed to.....which is why I now appeal for wisdom on the loops! :)

So while I'm scouring the loops for files on power cooking/investment cooking items, I thought I would open up the coversation for others to share

I'd like to hear about format/class flow, what you charged per person, hands on vs. pure demo, and anything else you'd like to share. I'm going to post this out to some other loops that I belong to....sorry for the duplication if you're also on those other boards!

Thank you very much for sharing your wisdom.

Melinda

Hi Melinda!I have some experience teaching cooking classes for kids and adults, so I'd be happy to share my thoughts and experiences with you. First of all, I think it's great that you're planning to use the Let's Eat cookbook for your kids' class. It's always helpful to have a solid resource for recipes and inspiration.In terms of format and class flow, I've found that a mix of hands-on and demo works best. For kids, it's important to keep them engaged and active, so having them actually participate in making the recipes is key. However, for adults, a demo may be more suitable as they may not have as much interest in getting their hands dirty. I usually start with a brief demo of the recipe, then have the participants make their own versions with my guidance and assistance.As for pricing, it really depends on your target audience and the cost of ingredients. For kids, I usually charge around $15-20 per child, and for adults, I charge around $30-40 per person. I also offer discounts for early registration or for signing up for multiple classes.One thing I've learned from my past classes is to not overdo it with the number of recipes. Stick to 2-3 recipes per class, and make sure they are easy enough for participants to follow along and complete within the allotted time. It's also helpful to have a few extra helpers on hand to assist with any questions or tasks.I hope this helps and best of luck with your classes! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Melinda,I have experience with teaching classes for both kids and adults through community education programs. I think your ideas for classes sound great and I agree that using the Let's Eat cookbook is a great resource for recipes.For the kids' class, I would suggest keeping the recipes simple and age-appropriate. It's great that you have experience with your daughter's girl scout troop, so you have a good idea of what works well with that age group. I would also recommend having an assistant or two to help with the hands-on portion, so you don't have to run around as much.For the power cooking/investment cooking class, I would suggest having a mix of hands-on and demo portions. This way, participants can learn new techniques and also get to try out the recipes themselves. As for format/class flow, I usually start with a brief introduction and overview of the recipes we will be making, then move on to the demo/hands-on portion, and end with a Q&A and taste-testing session. As for pricing, I usually base it on the cost of ingredients and any additional materials needed, and then add a small fee for my time and expertise.Overall, my advice would be to plan ahead and have everything set up and organized before the class starts, so you don't have to run around as much during the class. And don't be afraid to ask for help from friends or family members to assist with the class.I hope this helps and good luck with your classes!

1. What is Community Education/Adult Education?

Community Education/Adult Education is a type of learning program that offers educational opportunities to adults within their local community. It is designed to provide a variety of classes and workshops to help individuals develop new skills, pursue personal interests, and continue their education outside of traditional school settings.

2. Who can participate in Community Education/Adult Education programs?

Community Education/Adult Education programs are open to individuals of all ages and backgrounds. They are specifically tailored for adults who are looking to expand their knowledge and skills, but some programs may also offer classes for high school students or families.

3. What types of classes are offered in Community Education/Adult Education?

There is a wide range of classes offered in Community Education/Adult Education, including academic courses, vocational training, personal enrichment classes, and recreational activities. Examples of classes may include cooking, foreign languages, computer skills, fitness, and financial planning.

4. How do I find and enroll in Community Education/Adult Education programs?

You can usually find information about Community Education/Adult Education programs through your local school district, community center, or adult education center. You can also search online for classes and registration information. Some programs may require pre-registration, while others may allow you to sign up on the day of the class.

5. Can I earn college credit through Community Education/Adult Education programs?

It depends on the program and the class you are taking. Some Community Education/Adult Education programs may offer courses that can be transferred for college credit, but it is important to check with your specific program and institution beforehand. Additionally, many programs offer certificates or certifications upon completion of certain courses, which can be valuable in the job market.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
DeannaK1022
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Serena6010
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
acherry