• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Colleen's Cakes: DCB Baking Tips and Tricks

In summary, making cakes in the DCB is easy and convenient. Simply use a box cake mix and mix it in the DCB with a stainless whisk. Add eggs, oil, and water as directed on the package. Then, use a medium scoop to dollop a can of frosting over the top. Place in the microwave for 12 minutes and serve with a beaded spoon. For a cobbler-style cake, pour dry cake mix into the DCB, top with pie filling, butter, and caramel sprinkles, and microwave for 10 minutes. For a lava cake, mix Devil's Food cake mix and frosting in the DCB and microwave for 13 minutes. It's recommended to use the lid during cooking and to be
chefkathy
Cut this new mom some slack and help me out.

Tell me about cakes in the DCB. How do you make them? How long?

Colleen??

Thanks!

Happy to help Mommy! :)One box cake mix (and eggs, oil and water as package directs). Mix right in DCB with stainless whisk (why mess up another bowl?). Using Med Scoop, dollop entire can of frosting over top (I explain that my nephew is learning to count so he makes this cake and counts the scoops of frosting). Do not cover... Put in microwave for 12 minutes. Remove with Oven Mitts to Trivet and serve with Beaded Spoon.I'm signing my host from Tuesday because she couldn't believe how easy it was to demo and she figures *she could do that...*!!! The chocolate cake/frosting combo is the best in my opinion. :) Maybe I should make it now!

To do more of a "cobbler" kind of cake, just take any box of cake mix. Pour it in the DCB dry without making it according to package directions. Pour any flavor pie filling (the bigger can, I think 21 oz??) over it. Slice up a stick of butter and lay the pats all around the top. (Try to forget it uses a stick of butter....the recipe I saw actually called for 1 1/2 sticks!). Cook for 10 min. on high, then stir it all up. Cook for another 3 minutes. If it's the yellow cake mix and apple pie filling (my fave), I also sprinkle the sweet caramel sprinkles on it before I cook for those last 3 minutes.

For the lava cake (my NEW fave for chocolate!!), mix a box of Devil's Food Cake according to the package directions. Mix it right in the DCB - saves dirtying a bowl! Take a tub/container of chocolate or fudge frosting and scoop the entire container over the cake mix. Cook for 13 minutes (I wasn't sure on the time, but this seems to work). That's it!! All the gooey lava is on the bottom of the DCB and it's great with ice cream. This turns out with a cake consistency and is amazing! The other recipe above is more like a cobbler because you don't really get a "fluffy" cake out of it.

I hope that helps!!

jinx!!!

I do put my cover on and it seems to turn out fine. Maybe I'll try the other way too.

Also be careful because the stoneware will scratch the beaded spoon. I know it's not pretty, but I use the smaller nylon spoon.

pamperedbecky said:
jinx!!!

Also be careful because the stoneware will scratch the beaded spoon. I know it's not pretty, but I use the smaller nylon spoon.

The jinx made me giggle! Thank you!

Didn't notice that on my spoon! I'll have to check that out! It just looks so pretty in the baker!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

I put the lid on also.... must be a Becky thing. :) I mix mine in the bowl with the mix n masher. I got that tip at conference.

Thanks to everyone! These are all great tips!

When I do my microwave cake I don't mix the eggs and oil in. I just use the box of cake mix and a diet cola. Usually I do Chocolate cake with Diet Coke, because that's what we have in the house. I also only use half a container of icing. Either way you do it it is YUMMMM!!

Deb, thanks for asking about this. This is one thing I have not tried but you bet I will be doing this at future parties!!!

Yes, thanks from an old Mom who just looks like she is still pregnant!!!

pamperedbecky said:
To do more of a "cobbler" kind of cake, just take any box of cake mix. Pour it in the DCB dry without making it according to package directions. Pour any flavor pie filling (the bigger can, I think 21 oz??) over it. Slice up a stick of butter and lay the pats all around the top. (Try to forget it uses a stick of butter....the recipe I saw actually called for 1 1/2 sticks!). Cook for 10 min. on high, then stir it all up. Cook for another 3 minutes. If it's the yellow cake mix and apple pie filling (my fave), I also sprinkle the sweet caramel sprinkles on it before I cook for those last 3 minutes.

For the lava cake (my NEW fave for chocolate!!), mix a box of Devil's Food Cake according to the package directions. Mix it right in the DCB - saves dirtying a bowl! Take a tub/container of chocolate or fudge frosting and scoop the entire container over the cake mix. Cook for 13 minutes (I wasn't sure on the time, but this seems to work). That's it!! All the gooey lava is on the bottom of the DCB and it's great with ice cream. This turns out with a cake consistency and is amazing! The other recipe above is more like a cobbler because you don't really get a "fluffy" cake out of it.

I hope that helps!!

For the cobbler cake I put two regular size cans of pie filling in the baker and put the cake mix on top of that, then the butter. I cover it too. You have to give it a quick stir after 10 minutes or some of the cake mix stays dry. ...hmmm maybe it WOULD work better to put the filling on top. I'll have to try that too.

Chef Kearns said:
When I do my microwave cake I don't mix the eggs and oil in. I just use the box of cake mix and a diet cola. Usually I do Chocolate cake with Diet Coke, because that's what we have in the house. I also only use half a container of icing. Either way you do it it is YUMMMM!!

Huh???
Diet coke and cake mix?
Details please...

Also there is a recipe where you do the devils food cake mix, 1 can of icing and then use the scoop to add 1/2 to 1 cup peanut butter also. I have tried this and it is my favorite. My 3 year old calls it peanut butter and jelly cake.

dannyzmom said:
Huh???
Diet coke and cake mix?
Details please...

Those are the details. LOL!! It is from Weight Watchers. You cut the fat and calories by substituting the Diet Coke for the eggs and oil. It ends up very moist and light. You can't even tell anything is missing!! Honest! Try it! I love doing it when I offer a free show or dessert because I only have to bring 3 things and none of the things will crack in my crate on the way!

Use a can of diet soda, not the bottles which have more in them.

They have been a big hit at my shows. I've been doing the Choc Peanut Butter Dump Cake on CS. But I renamed it Chocolate Peanut Butter Lava Cake. People are so into lava cakes. I make it while we go around for introductions. People can't beleive how easy it is. Plus then we brainstorm for a minute or two on all the combos they could do with different flavors of cake mixes etc.

Happy Chef said:
They have been a big hit at my shows. I've been doing the Choc Peanut Butter Dump Cake on CS. But I renamed it Chocolate Peanut Butter Lava Cake. People are so into lava cakes. I make it while we go around for introductions. People can't beleive how easy it is. Plus then we brainstorm for a minute or two on all the combos they could do with different flavor cake mixes etc.

Ooooh, how do you do that one??? Yum!

Report:
I did chocolate with chocolate frosting, called it lava cake and everyone LOVED it. I did it at the end of my demo, so I had kinda lost their attention by then and couldn't really sell the DCB like I had hoped. Next show I will do it at the beginning! I cooked it for 10 mins lid off and it was perfect!

1 Chocolate Fudge cake mix mixed with ingredients on box. I mix with 10" ss whis right in DCB. Then I use large ss scoop to dollap all of 1 can of chocolate frosting on top of mixed cake mix. Then I grab our small scoop and dollap 1 cup creamy peanut butter on top of that. Bake 12 minutes in micro with turntable.
That's it unless you want to add vanilla ice cream on the side.

That sounds delicious!!

Chef Kearns said:
Those are the details. LOL!! It is from Weight Watchers. You cut the fat and calories by substituting the Diet Coke for the eggs and oil. It ends up very moist and light. You can't even tell anything is missing!! Honest! Try it! I love doing it when I offer a free show or dessert because I only have to bring 3 things and none of the things will crack in my crate on the way!

Use a can of diet soda, not the bottles which have more in them.

I did this at my show on Saturday and everyone said it was way too sweet. Can it be done with any kind of soda? If so, which one would work best to make it not too sweet?

That's why I only use half a can of icing. It's so funny that they find it too sweet. LOL! Did you do Diet Coke or like Diet Dr. Pepper? And the flavored ones are uber sweet too (like Diet Strawberry or Diet Mt. Dew).

Diet Coke and the gal putting it together used the whole can of frosting....maybe that was the problem.

Diet soda instead of eggs and oil??? Amazing!

I've been pampering a lot of businesses this month with the diet soda lava cake. I mainly do the chocolate with diet coke and chocolate frosting. However, I came across someone who didn't like chocolate and I did white cake mix, 7-up and lemon frosting - came out really nice!

cmdtrgd said:
I've been pampering a lot of businesses this month with the diet soda lava cake. I mainly do the chocolate with diet coke and chocolate frosting. However, I came across someone who didn't like chocolate and I did white cake mix, 7-up and lemon frosting - came out really nice!

What are the measurements? 1 box of cake mix, one can of soda and the frosting?

1 box cake mix, 12 oz diet soda and 1/2 can frosting on top - lid on and micro for 12 minutes. If you use a full can of frosting with a diet soda, it is toooooo sweet. However, I haven't tried a full can of frosting with a regular soda. I guess you could use a full can with club soda.

Related to Colleen's Cakes: DCB Baking Tips and Tricks

1. What is the DCB baking method and how does it differ from traditional baking?

The DCB (Deep Covered Baker) baking method involves using a ceramic pot with a lid to bake cakes. This method creates a moist and evenly baked cake, as the lid traps in steam and moisture. It differs from traditional baking in that it does not require preheating the oven and can be used in the microwave or conventional oven.

2. Can I use any type of cake mix with the DCB baking method?

Yes, you can use any type of cake mix with the DCB baking method. However, it is recommended to use a cake mix with a pudding mix included, as this will result in a denser and moister cake.

3. How do I prevent my cake from sticking to the DCB?

To prevent your cake from sticking to the DCB, make sure to generously spray the inside of the pot with cooking spray before adding the batter. You can also line the bottom of the pot with parchment paper for added insurance.

4. Can I bake other desserts besides cakes in the DCB?

Yes, the DCB can be used to bake a variety of desserts such as cobblers, brownies, and bread pudding. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time and temperature according to the recipe you are using.

5. How do I clean and care for my DCB?

To clean your DCB, wash it with warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge. Do not use metal utensils or steel wool, as these can scratch the surface of the pot. Allow the DCB to cool completely before cleaning. To maintain the quality of your DCB, avoid drastic temperature changes and do not place it directly on a hot stovetop or in a hot oven. Store it in a cool, dry place when not in use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cmdtrgd
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • dannyzmom
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
baychef
  • dannyzmom