• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cleaning Stoneware: Is it Safe and How Does it Become Black?

In summary, according to the information provided, a stone can become black from using hot water to clean it, but is still safe to use. The best way to clean a stone is to use hot water and a scraper or brush. Dishsoap is not recommended, as it can release grease and oil that can damage the stone.
chefjulieg
I have a guest who is concerned about the use of stoneware and it's cleanliness. I explained that cleaning it with hot water kills the bacteria, but couldn't really assure her any more than that. Does anyone have a better explaination for how a stone can become black and still be safe? Thank you!!

All I have to say to guests at shows is that I've been using my stoneware for 12 years (some of them) and have never gotten sick and noone in my family has either. I only have ever used hot water and the scrapers or a brush to clean them.

I pulled this off of this site a long time ago. I hope it answers your question. I have had a few guests and hosts that just feel if you don't use soap it is not clean. I then tell them if they need to use something, use baking soda as their cleansing agent. ;)

Attachments

• Why Stones Won't Harbor Bacteria.doc
    21 KB · Views: 591
you can also ask if they cook with cast iron. you cant use soap or water on those and you dont get sick using them

chef_leeanne said:
I pulled this off of this site a long time ago. I hope it answers your question. I have had a few guests and hosts that just feel if you don't use soap it is not clean. I then tell them if they need to use something, use baking soda as their cleansing agent. ;)
Wow, that will come in handy. Thanks! :)
I have a host that has been using the stones for years. She insists on using a small amount of dishsoap to clean her seasoned stones. Of course, she says this in front of people that are purchasing brand new stones. I must have told them 10 times NOT to use soap, because the taste would stay in the stone. When I do my 'out of the box' calls to these people, this info will come in handy!

chef_leeanne said:

Thank you for all the ideas!! I really like the flyer that was written by the scientist!! Thank you!

I tell anyone who questions the cleaning of stones that after they have used their hottest tap water if they are still worried about bacteria to put their stone in a 250* oven for 10-15 minutes and that will kill any "germs" left.

Something that I have started doing is bring Anti-bacterial dishsoap and regular dishsoap to my shows. Everyone that says anti-bacterial will in small print say "hand soap" even though it is packaged as a dish soap. The reason for this is because the chemical that makes a dishsoap "anti-bacterial" is actually a poison and not FDA approved to be in anything that comes in contact with our food.

Regular dishsoap as the link earlier explained is a grease/oil releaser but has no effect whatsoever on bacteria. The only way to get rid of bacteria is by using friction ie..scrubbing, or raising the temperature of the stone

I also have mentioned if someone left water soaking on the stone for a few days (hey I have heard people say that) and they are nervous they won't scrub hard or long enough to remove the bacteria to place it in the dishwasher without adding the soap and either run it the rinse cycle or just the dry cycle. That should appease their fears. If the stone feels to greasy the baking soda paste works amazing.

This information really has seemed to help my guests and they don't bring it up again (nice way to say some of the stoneware spoilers at my shows keep quite)

Jennifer

1. Is it safe to clean stoneware?

Yes, it is safe to clean stoneware. Pampered Chef stoneware is made from natural clay and does not contain any harmful chemicals or coatings.

2. How does stoneware become black?

Stoneware may become black over time due to the build-up of oils and food residue. This can happen when the stoneware is not properly seasoned or when it is used at high temperatures.

3. How should I clean my stoneware?

The best way to clean stoneware is to use hot water and a nylon scraper or brush. Avoid using soap, as it can damage the seasoning on the stoneware. For tougher stains, you can use a baking soda and water paste to gently scrub the surface.

4. Can I put my stoneware in the dishwasher?

No, stoneware should not be put in the dishwasher. The harsh detergents and high temperatures can damage the stoneware and remove the seasoning. Hand washing with hot water and a nylon scraper or brush is the recommended method for cleaning stoneware.

5. How often should I clean my stoneware?

It is recommended to clean your stoneware after each use to prevent build-up and maintain its non-stick properties. If the stoneware becomes discolored or develops an odor, it should be cleaned immediately.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefPeg
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • lisasfuncooking
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • Get_Pampered