• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stoneware and Granite Countertops?

In summary, the conversation mainly revolved around the concerns of using stoneware on granite countertops and flat smooth top stovetops. Some users suggested using a hot pad or trivet to avoid scratches, while others have been placing hot stoneware directly on their countertops without any issues. It was also mentioned that granite is a natural material and can be scratched, so it's best to consult a local supplier for more information. The topic of maintenance and durability of granite was also discussed, with some mentioning that it can withstand heat and others cautioning against sliding or banging on it. The conversation also touched on the topic of glass top stoves and the potential for scratches and cracks from dropped items. Overall, there was no clear consensus on the
kcjodih
Gold Member
I finally moved into my new place after being unexpectedly homeless for the entire summer while the house ran late. I now have granite countertops and I'm wondering if our stoneware will scratch them. My installer was of no help whatsoever. Does anyone have granite and stoneware and can share their opinion/experiences? Funny how a fellow consultant just emailed me with the same question from a customer of hers since she knew I had granite as well. I've just been using my SCR to place my stone on but I was wondering if the stoneware would scratch it and if it was safe to place hot stuff on the granite.

Also, while I'm on the topic of stoneware scratching/damaging - how about on flat smooth top stovetops? We used to have the elements and drip pans but treated ourselves to a smoothtop oven this time and I have no idea where my manual is in all this mess. The appliances arrived on moving day along with everything else that has been stored for the summer and I can't find the manuals I put in a 'safe place for the time being'. So who here has a smooth top stove and do you put hot or cold stoneware on it without scratching it?

Thanks for any and all help!

About your question on the granite I cant tell you but my friend got new counter tops (not granite) and the stoneware did scratch her counter top her counter top can withstand heat up to 500 degrees.

The glass top stove I have seen people put thier stones right on top but with my glass top my DH told me I can not put my stones on it. The only way I put the stones on it is with a hot pad.

Granite is pretty durable, however it is "natural", so it might be able to be scratched by the stoneware. I have ceramic tile countertops, and have had no problem with it, but tile is not granite. My DH says you should consult a local supplier of the granite and ask them. Granite is not cheap to replace if it gets scratched.

I also use a hot pad on my smooth top stove....but put hot stones right on my countertop with no problem.

sorry i have no real answers for you!

I have granite and I worry about the stoneware scratching it as well. I always put my stoneware on a trivit or a towel or something.

I have granite counters and put my stoneware on it all the time with no problems.

I'm not sure about the counters but I have a flat top stove and do not put my stones on it without a hot pad or trivet.

I would treat granite like any other counter-top...exercise caution as replacing/repairing can get expensive.

I would never take my countertop for granite.

Are they real granite or the manmade silestone or avanzaa?
I have silestone which is the quartz make up countertops. The reason we didn't choose granite was the maintainace
When something comes from the oven I use a hot pad just so I don't cause thermal shock my counters are always cold.... If the stone is cool (like I'm preparing the dish I never put something under (don't if it's on my oak table either) and have never noticed scratches. I have had the counters for about 5 years.
I also never protect my glass cooktop unless it is hot form the oven.
I've even been known to scoot my stone to make room for something else on the cooktop.

Last edited:
My mother in law's house has granite counters in kitchen and bathrooms, floor throughtout the house (except bedrooms). So I'm thinking ...must be pretty durable to be on floor.
My friend has granite countertop in her kitchen, and they put hot pans directly on it...they say that's one of the benefits, that you don't have to worry about the heat.

As for the smooth top stove. I have it, and I try not to slide stuff around on it or bang it...I think you can put tiny scratches, that aren't really noticable, but over time the heating and cooling of the stovetop can weaken it...and it could crack over time.

My mother-in-law has the glasstop stove, and during an earthquake something from the cabinet fell out, and she now has a 'spider-web' crack...it seems to grow each time I go there ((she's over seas, so I don't go often)) too expensive to replace if the stove is still working, i guess.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I would never take my countertop for granite.
Ha Ha! Love it!:D

I don't know about the granite, but let us know what you find out.

Don't know about the granite, but I have a smoothtop stove top. I usually try to put my stones on a hot pad on it, but sometimes I don't. It's never scratched it.

I second Teresa Lynn's answer! I use my baker's rack on my Caesarstone/quartz counter for when they come out hot. I have briefly put the hot stone on the glasstop stove but then switch it to the rack for cooling. When they're not hot, I move the stones around the stove and counter without problems (I'm gentle of course),

I have a smooth top stove and never use a hot pad on it with my stones. I don't notice any scratches on the glass, but I do have a lot on the painted rim around it from sliding my stones on and off the stove.

**For those of you with smooth tops, just a word of advise. A friend of mine cracked the glass one time by laying a glass lid from one of her pots on the stove. It suctioned onto the glass and cracked the glass. She ended up buying a whole new stove because it wasn't much more expensive than just replacing just the top. I always make sure my lids are resting on something and not laying flat for that reason!

pcjulie said:
**For those of you with smooth tops, just a word of advise. A friend of mine cracked the glass one time by laying a glass lid from one of her pots on the stove. It suctioned onto the glass and cracked the glass. She ended up buying a whole new stove because it wasn't much more expensive than just replacing just the top. I always make sure my lids are resting on something and not laying flat for that reason!

Thanks for that bit of advise I never would have thought of that.

I would be careful. Stoneware has scratched my laminate countertops.

I always put stoneware on of our microfiber towels I don't like the scraping sound stoneware makes on my counter tops. It's like finger nails on a chalkboard:eek:

rennea said:
I always put stoneware on of our microfiber towels I don't like the scraping sound stoneware makes on my counter tops. It's like finger nails on a chalkboard:eek:

I actually CRINGED just reading the title of this one.....yikes...:yuck:

What are the benefits of using stoneware on granite countertops?

Stoneware is a great option for granite countertops because it is durable and heat-resistant, making it safe to use with hot dishes and cookware. It also provides a natural non-stick surface, making it easy to clean and maintain. Additionally, stoneware is scratch-resistant, so it won't damage your granite countertops.

Can I use stoneware on granite countertops without worrying about scratching or damaging the surface?

Yes, stoneware is safe to use on granite countertops. It is scratch-resistant and will not damage the surface. However, it is always a good idea to use caution and avoid dragging heavy or sharp objects across the surface to prevent any potential damage.

Do I need to season my stoneware before using it on my granite countertops?

No, stoneware does not need to be seasoned before use. However, it is recommended to wash the stoneware with warm soapy water before the first use. This will remove any residue or dust from the manufacturing process and ensure a clean cooking surface.

How do I clean and care for my stoneware when using it on granite countertops?

Cleaning stoneware on granite countertops is simple and easy. Use warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge or cloth to clean the stoneware. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasives as they can damage the surface of the stoneware and the granite countertops. Additionally, be sure to let the stoneware cool completely before cleaning to avoid thermal shock.

Can I use stoneware on granite countertops in the oven?

Yes, stoneware is safe to use in the oven, even on granite countertops. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for maximum temperature and always use oven mitts when handling hot stoneware. Also, be sure to avoid placing cold stoneware directly onto a hot granite countertop to prevent any potential cracking or damage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • tlennhoff
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
lisacb77
  • KellyTheChef