• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cleaning Stoneware in an Oven: Has Anyone Tried It?

In summary, it is not recommended to clean stoneware using the self-clean setting on an oven. Doing so can nullify the warranty and potentially damage the stone due to thermal shock. Additionally, putting stoneware in the self-cleaning oven can be dangerous as it can catch fire and cause damage to the surrounding area. Some consultants have had success cleaning their stones in the dishwasher without soap, but it is not recommended by the manufacturer. It is best to follow the manufacturer's advice and not use stoneware in the self-cleaning oven.
KRISTI'SCOOKING
A customer asked me if she could clean her stoneware using the self clean setting on her oven. Has anyone heard of that or better yet tried it? Kristi

I believe that would nullify her warranty - plus probably ruin the stone - I wouldn't suggest it!

It didnt sound like a good idea but she was saying that it was just heat and wouldnt that just be like washing it really really good. And honestly dont know what exactly goes on in that oven once its locked to even say! LOL!

It gets to an insanely high temperature to burn off all of the stuck on yuck in your oven. PIGs state not to use stoneware under the broiler; not sure if that is bc of temp or just bc of heating from top only:confused:

NO!!!

What she will be doing is putting it through thermal shock. If it doesn't crack completely, it will soon because she will have put micro-cracks all through it. And, Murphy's Law, when she has the gooiest food in the stone, it will crack! Plus, if you read your manual on the self-cleaning oven, NOTHING is supposed to be in there - not even the racks!!!:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Yeah the racks get all black if you leave them in there... then you have to try and clean them by hand.

There was a story on here some time back about someone that tried that and the stone caught on fire. One the self cleaning starts you can't stop it either, so she couldn't get it out.

Wow- glad I read this thread. Someone had told me about that, too, and said it worked great. Glad I didn't tell ALL my customers that....just about 50% of them :yuck:

I guess it's best to stick to good ol' hot water and maybe some baking soda!

Funny you mention this. I just had a customer call me this weekend. She left her bar pan in the oven when self cleaning it. She didn't mean to. Well the stone turned BLACK. Her whole kitchen filled with smoke. She said the stone now has bubbles in it.
So self cleaning and stones are a big NO.

Absolutely no!

[edited to remove misinformation]

Last edited:
The cleaning cycle on your oven is MUCH hotter than the broiler.
From the PIG: • Do not use Stoneware under broiler or on direct heat source.

I understand that some folks have done this with success, but what happens when someones stone explodes in their oven when they are cleaning it? Clay can/will do that if there is even the tiniest of air bubbles.

the self cleaning cycle locks on ovens when in use and the door can not be opened
if your stone catches on fire, your cabinets, walls, children whatever can become engulfed in flames!! Do not put in during a self cleaning cycle it is dangerous.

BethCooks4U said:
Absolutely no!

...But Scott (another poster here) does it all the time and has good success. He tells his customers to do it and hasn't had any problems.

Acctually I have not done the self-cleaning oven with my stones, but pop my older, seasoned, beyond guarantee stones in the dishwasher on a wash cycle without soap in the unit about once every 1-2 years - key points: No soap, No drying cycle - take them out when the water stops.

It is not suggested, but I offer my experience to clients who freak about not soaping a stone. At a cluster meeting past, other consultants said they have done the self-cleaning oven thing. A black stone is the Summa Cum Laude of seasoned stones - my best is only really dark brown.

God bless; follow manufacturer's advice - and keep them out of the oven and dishwasher.

-praying for Paige and her family with my DS on my lap!-

scottcooks said:
Acctually I have not done the self-cleaning oven with my stones, but pop my older, seasoned, beyond guarantee stones in the dishwasher on a wash cycle without soap in the unit about once every 1-2 years - key points: No soap, No drying cycle - take them out when the water stops.

It is not suggested, but I offer my experience to clients who freak about not soaping a stone. At a cluster meeting past, other consultants said they have done the self-cleaning oven thing. A black stone is the Summa Cum Laude of seasoned stones - my best is only really dark brown.

God bless; follow manufacturer's advice - and keep them out of the oven and dishwasher.

-praying for Paige and her family with my DS on my lap!-
Scott - I honestly thought that we had been talking about ovens when I posted this. I am sorry that I didn't double check my source before posting here. I will edit my original post to delete that line so noone thinks it's okay if they don't read farther. Thanks for correcting me. :eek:

Shhhhhhhhhhh... I put my stones in the dishwasher ALL THE TIME! I never tell customers to do it. But I do it. Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! :)

Related to Cleaning Stoneware in an Oven: Has Anyone Tried It?

What is the best way to clean stoneware in an oven?

The best way to clean stoneware in an oven is to first allow it to cool completely. Then, use a plastic scraper or brush to remove any stuck-on food particles. Next, use a mixture of warm water and mild dish soap to gently scrub the stoneware. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and dry with a clean towel.

Can I use harsh chemicals to clean stoneware in an oven?

No, it is not recommended to use harsh chemicals such as bleach or oven cleaner on stoneware. These chemicals can damage the stoneware and may leave harmful residue that can transfer to your food.

How often should I clean my stoneware in the oven?

It is recommended to clean your stoneware after each use. This will help prevent any buildup of food particles and keep your stoneware in good condition.

Can I put my stoneware in the dishwasher?

No, it is not recommended to put stoneware in the dishwasher. The high heat and harsh detergents can damage the stoneware and affect its performance.

What if my stoneware has stubborn stains or odors?

If your stoneware has stubborn stains or odors, you can try using a mixture of baking soda and water to create a paste. Apply the paste to the stained area and let it sit for a few hours before rinsing off. You can also try using a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar to help remove any lingering odors.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefrhondab
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
  • mrshamel3808
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
mrshamel3808
  • lauriedip