• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cleaning Rust Marks Off Stones - Any Advice?

In summary, rust marks on stones are caused by a chemical reaction between iron-rich minerals and water or oxygen, or exposure to metal objects containing iron. Regular cleaning products may not effectively remove rust marks and can even damage the stone, so it is recommended to use a gentle, non-abrasive cleaner specifically designed for stone surfaces. To prevent rust marks, regularly sealing the stone with a high-quality sealer is important. The best method for removing rust marks is using a poultice, but a mixture of lemon juice and salt can also be used as a natural remedy. However, it may not be as effective as a poultice or commercial rust remover.
4kids4me
I got 2 round stones off Freecycle yesterday. They have many marks on them that look like they are from being stored too close to something metal - know what I"m talking about? anyway, wondering if anyone knows how to get these off. I tried the baking soda paste and it didn't make one bit of difference. I'm saving these for my oldest when she graduates and gets her own apartment. :) TIA!

Those marks do not effect performance so I wouldn't worry about them. They'll eventually fade as the stone gets used.

really? Oh, that's good to know. I"ll just use these for a while til they're "clean" and then pack them away til next summer. Thank you!

DebbieJ said:
Those marks do not effect performance so I wouldn't worry about them. They'll eventually fade as the stone gets used.

I was going to say the same thing! :chef:

Hi there! Congrats on snagging those round stones from Freecycle - what a great find! I definitely know what you're talking about with those marks from being stored near metal. I've found that a mixture of white vinegar and water can do wonders for removing those stubborn marks. Just mix equal parts vinegar and water and use a soft cloth to gently rub the mixture onto the marks. Let it sit for a few minutes before wiping it off and repeating if necessary. The acidity in the vinegar helps to break down the marks and leave your stones looking good as new. Hope this helps and good luck with your future pampered chef endeavors!

What causes rust marks on stones?

Rust marks on stones are usually caused by a chemical reaction between iron-rich minerals in the stone and water or oxygen. This can also occur when the stone is exposed to metal objects or tools that contain iron.

Can I use regular cleaning products to remove rust marks from stones?

No, regular cleaning products may not effectively remove rust marks from stones and can even cause damage to the stone's surface. It is recommended to use a gentle, non-abrasive cleaner specifically designed for stone surfaces.

How do I prevent rust marks from appearing on my stones?

To prevent rust marks on stones, it is important to regularly seal the stone surface with a high-quality stone sealer. This will create a protective barrier against moisture and prevent the iron-rich minerals from reacting with water or oxygen.

What is the best method for removing rust marks from stones?

The best method for removing rust marks from stones is to use a poultice. This is a paste-like substance that is applied to the affected area and left to dry. Once dry, it can be easily removed along with the rust stain.

Are there any home remedies for removing rust marks from stones?

Yes, a mixture of lemon juice and salt can be used as a natural rust remover for stones. Simply mix equal parts of lemon juice and salt to form a paste, apply it to the rust marks, and let it sit for a few hours before wiping it off. However, this method may not be as effective as using a poultice or a commercial rust remover.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• FFBearPChef
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Zsu
  • ChefKeender
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • stefani2