1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Chopping Herbs

1. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

So I was trying in vain to chop some fresh parsley with one of my knives. The leaves were flipping all over- couldn't keep them in a nice pile to save my soul (Basil is easier!). So I thought...wonder how the Food Chopper would do?

Darn if it didn't do a fantastic job in just a few seconds!! What have I been thinking all of these years!? See...goes to show- these are tips we need to tell our customers. I've been a PC customer for 10+ years and never knew did anyone suggest using my FC for herbs or meat or garlic or anything! (I use it for garlic when I need minced, but don't want crushed like through the press.)

Thought I'd share, in case someone else out there didn't know that. :D

Mar 19, 2009
  2. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

I use my kitchen shears and a prep bowl to chop my fresh herbs.

Mar 19, 2009
  3. JAE

JAE Legacy Member

Yep, me too. Food chopper sounds like a nice idea too though.

Mar 19, 2009
  4. wadesgirl

I've never even tried it. Always thought that it would mash them up too much. I'll have to try it next time.

Mar 19, 2009
  5. kam

kam Legacy Member Staff Member

Exactly what I do, too! It works wonderfully.

Mar 19, 2009
  6. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

Me too. Then I don't lose the flavor (which is in the oils of the herbs) all over the cutting board.

Mar 19, 2009
  7. dannyzmom

dannyzmom Legend Member Gold Member

ditto here!!

Mar 19, 2009
  8. cookingwith_tara

cookingwith_tara Advanced Member

Me, too! I find this is a fun job for someone to do while at the show. And to me, it's easier than knife. I thought the FC would turn it to mush.

9. PamperedK

PamperedK Veteran Member Silver Member

Another one using kitchen shears. Love it! I find when I use a knife, I can't get even pieces - I end up with big chunks and stems and it's just a mess afterward.

Mar 20, 2009
  10. wadesgirl

I don't even trust myself using a knife like that!

Mar 20, 2009
  11. sk8rgrrl99

sk8rgrrl99 Member

I'll have to add "kitchen shears" to my want list! I learn so much here. :)

Mar 20, 2009
  12. Beth1170

Beth1170 Member

Generally when working with a flat leafed herb like basil the kitchen shears work better. I have found that the food chopper just makes a mess by smashing rather than cutting the leaves. For Parsley and other bunchy type herbs the food chopper works just fine.
    Just a tip for adding basil on top of dishes for garnish, save 4-5 large leaves, stack one on top of each other and roll up long ways, then make thin slices with the santuko knife. They come out looking like julienne strips and look beautiful on top of pasta dishes, roasted vegetables, etc. I got it from watching someone on the food network.

Mar 20, 2009
  13. PampChefJoy

PampChefJoy Veteran Member Gold Member

I use either the shears with a prep bowl, or a the pizza cutter on a cutting board.

Mar 20, 2009
Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted