• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Chocolate Lava Microwave Cake???

In summary, this conversation is about a Chocolate Lava Microwave Cake recipe, made in a Rice Cooker Plus, which is basically a boxed cake mix and half a can of frosting. The ingredients are mixed in the cooker and then dollops of the frosting are dropped over the mix before being cooked in a microwave for nine minutes. It is also possible to make the cake in the classic
KimoMakano said:
But the main thing that didn't seem right was the lopsidedness of the cake.
I was really a little disappointed because I had read so many good things about it. I will definitely try it again.

It's not supposed to be a perfectly shaped cake--that's why it's a molten lava cake--it resembles a volcano. This cake is not about the pretty--it's about the gooey tastiness and the chocolate flowing. If you want to pretty it up--you can try fruit or whip cream or dusting it with powdered sugar. But most guests have told me--they don't see the point since it's a lava cake. They're usually impressed with the quick results and moistness of the cake.

PC_CPR said:
It's not supposed to be a perfectly shaped cake--that's why it's a molten lava cake--it resembles a volcano. This cake is not about the pretty--it's about the gooey tastiness and the chocolate flowing.

Thanks, but I think what happened was that the first time I made it I tried to distribute the frosting evenly around the cake batter (since the recipe did not instruct to place it in the middle) and what happened was that a large portion of the frosting collected on one side and created a sort of large cavity on that side. I think also probably because it came in direct contact with the side of the cooker it might have overcooked and created the burning smell.

The second time I tried it I put the frosting in the middle and it came out perfect.

Thanks to all for the tips.

PC_CPR said:
Also, you may need to check your microwave--if it's a big powerful one--use 9 minutes exactly, no more. If it's a smaller micro, I'd leave it for a few minutes more.

Actually, I have a VERY powerful microwave and I have to turn the power down to 80%. The first time I made it, the cake was done after 7-1/2 minutes and was pushing the lid of the rice cooker up and spilling over the sides! :eek: Now I cook it on 80% power at 9 minutes and it comes out perfect every time.

hey guys! I made the lava cake in the flutted pan last night and it came out so pretty! What I did was made the cake by directions, then took frosting and put 6 spoon fulls around the cake. When i flipped it, it had the the frosting seeping down the sides and into the middle!! YUM! It looked like i iced it!! The only thing was i cooked it for 13 min to be safe, and i think i cooked it to long. Also, what type of cake mix do yall buy? I bought Betty Crocker choc cake with hershey fudge, and it tasted kinda funny. I dont know if it was my Micro, or the cake mix.
My Hubby thought it was too much baking soda in the mix. I wonder if that can happen??
Anyway i was excited that I made it! I brought it to work this morn and everyone was like you are our little "baker".. No my microwave is! HEEHEE!!:p

feather18 said:
hey guys! I made the lava cake in the flutted pan last night and it came out so pretty! What I did was made the cake by directions, then took frosting and put 6 spoon fulls around the cake. When i flipped it, it had the the frosting seeping down the sides and into the middle!! YUM! It looked like i iced it!! The only thing was i cooked it for 13 min to be safe, and i think i cooked it to long. Also, what type of cake mix do yall buy? I bought Betty Crocker choc cake with hershey fudge, and it tasted kinda funny. I dont know if it was my Micro, or the cake mix.
My Hubby thought it was too much baking soda in the mix. I wonder if that can happen??
Anyway i was excited that I made it! I brought it to work this morn and everyone was like you are our little "baker".. No my microwave is! HEEHEE!!:p
I know baking powder can "turn" and go bad... making things taste funny... maybe you got a bad box of mix? Or maybe it was from cooking a little too long? Sounds like it still came out nice though. I will have to try that cake again.

feather18 said:
Also, what type of cake mix do yall buy? I bought Betty Crocker choc cake with hershey fudge, and it tasted kinda funny. I dont know if it was my Micro, or the cake mix.

Congratulations!! In some of my earlier posts in this thread I mention my first "failure" with this recipe. I also used the choc cake with hershey fudge and it had an unpleasant odor. I am not sure if it has anything to do with the ingredients or combination of things, but to be sure I will probably stay away from that mix again. There are plenty of others to try!

Yep! Thanks yall for the help!! I will probally buy just regular chocolate.. Or DEVILS CHOCOLATE!! YUMMMM!! The more chocolate the better!!!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kelly8
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
DebPC
Replies