• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Chocolate Lava Microwave Cake???

In summary, this conversation is about a Chocolate Lava Microwave Cake recipe, made in a Rice Cooker Plus, which is basically a boxed cake mix and half a can of frosting. The ingredients are mixed in the cooker and then dollops of the frosting are dropped over the mix before being cooked in a microwave for nine minutes. It is also possible to make the cake in the classic
Chef Carrie
I read mention of a "Chocolate Lava Microwave Cake" somewhere on this site earlier today. I've never heard of this and didn't find it at any of my recipe "go-to" sites. Anyone have the recipe? Thanks!

It's made in the Rice Cooker Plus. So if you search for Rice Cooker recipes, it will be among the other recipes. It's basically a boxed cake and half a can of frosting. Make the cake mix in the cooker and drop dollops of the frosting over the mix (in center). Cook in micro for about 9 minutes. You should have a rotating tray in the micro.Turn over onto a plate that is NOT flat (lava will spill over!).

I just made this tonight.......again. YUMMY

Thank you!!! I thought it was possibly something made in the large micro-cooker. I am a new consultant and recently "purchased" many new items with my PC bucks. I haven't really used the micro-cooker yet. Any suggestions other than melting things?

The recipe file here on this site also has ideas. I've used it for potatoes. BTW, I just remembered that recently they mentioned here on this site--possibly what you originally saw--that you can do the cake in the classic batter bowl. I haven't tried it yet.I will say that you do the cake at a show--you WILL sell several cookers. I sold 6 at one show and 2 at the following show where several raved about the previous show! Not bad for a 15 minute demo (including opening the mix box)!

PC_CPR said:
The recipe file here on this site also has ideas. I've used it for potatoes.

BTW, I just remembered that recently they mentioned here on this site--possibly what you originally saw--that you can do the cake in the classic batter bowl. I haven't tried it yet.

I will say that you do the cake at a show--you WILL sell several cookers. I sold 6 at one show and 2 at the following show where several raved about the previous show! Not bad for a 15 minute demo (including opening the mix box)!
I"d like to try this at a show but I'm really kind of scared of it flopping... I don't have a rotating tray in my own microwave so I can't test it out. Any other tips for making this? I have not had luck with the stoneware fluted pan micro cakes at my house (only did it once though)... again, maybe it's since I dont' have the rotating piece, though I did turn the cake every few minutes as the recipe suggested.

I have been wanting to try this recipe for a long time, how much better does it get to have hot cake freshly made in 9 mins?? Thats awesome for a last minute dessert!

My microwave is kind of small, so the cakes don't work for me in it.
Practice at a friends house with a 'full-sized' microwave.

I have made it twice, and it's awesome. I am going to take it in to a business and demo it there. I will already put the ingredients together, and just flip it over and serve!!!

I love this recipe. And I always flip it out onto the Celebrate Plate

Just to make sure...you mix the cake in the cooker...drop icing on it...then microwave.

Don't want to miss up something so simple:)

buzz26 said:
Just to make sure...you mix the cake in the cooker...drop icing on it...then microwave.

Don't want to miss up something so simple:)

Yes just mix the cake, in a bowl I always use my batter bowl and then spray the inside of cooker, at least that is what I do and then pour the batter in and drop the icing on it.

MMMMMMMMM

Smashie--that's a great idea.Heidi, I've made the cake in the cooker at least a dozen times and have never sprayed the inside. It's just not necessary. I use the Mix n Scraper to scoop out any remaining choc. It cleans up easy with warm water!BTW--I tell my customers to time me--cake is done in less than 15 minutes including the time it takes to open the box! I had two customers tell me that they made the cake the same day their products arrived (without needing a recipe either--just from my demo).

Oh, and I mix all the ingredients right in the cooker using the whisk. It's such an awesome demo--and yes, yummy too. I also made it once with lemon cake and choc frosting (just what I had in the cupboard) and it looked nice with the two color effect.

PC_CPR said:
Oh, and I mix all the ingredients right in the cooker using the whisk. It's such an awesome demo--and yes, yummy too. I also made it once with lemon cake and choc frosting (just what I had in the cupboard) and it looked nice with the two color effect.

That's how I make it too! No need to get anything else dirty!!;)

Fabulous! I've just signed and don't have all the great products to make many things. I've got to build my collection. The lave cake is a great way to start. Sounds like it impresses guests too.

so how do you serve this? I"m envisioning it being kind of messy... can you cut slices or do you kind of use a spoon to scoop it?

You slice it. There's some sauce that you can scoop over the slice but the slice will have some already.

I do my in the BB. I have taken the ingredients to two partys we have gone to and made right there so the cake is still warm when eaten, but doesn't heat the kitchen. I have gotten alot of ahhhs and have sold some BB because of it.

It is just so it easy and fun it is hard to stay on my diet. I realize that it is only 4 points on Weight Watchers, but the number 4 multiplied a few times sure adds up. lol

Kathy

Chef Carrie said:
Thank you!!! I thought it was possibly something made in the large micro-cooker. I am a new consultant and recently "purchased" many new items with my PC bucks. I haven't really used the micro-cooker yet. Any suggestions other than melting things?

i couldn't live without my micro-cooker. i have both but usually only use the large one. everynight i use it for my veggies with dinner, put any veggie in it, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, carrots, whatever, put an inch of water in it, microwave it for 5 minutes and you have perfectly steamed veggies. i've already sold about 15 of these in 3 months, they're a must have!

If you cook it in the BB, how long do you need to cook it??

PC_CPR said:

Wow thank you so much here I was making my batter bowl dirty when all this time I could have been keeping it clean on this to dirty on something else.

It takes about 9 minutes on the Rice Cooker AND the batter bowl.

I did a party which consisted mostly of my co-workers. I did the volcano cake in the rice cooker. I was so proud the way I was presenting it. When it was time to turn it onto a plate, and lifted the cooker up, I realized I had forgotten the dollops of frosting. I was stunned!! Everyone laughed and it was the joke of the evening. I think I sold at least one of the cookers that evening. Have made it at home, and it is delicious!!

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried any other kind of cake/frosting combos with this one? I don't know if anyone has tried the boxed 'butter' flavored (You use a whole stick of butter) cakes (dunkin hinz, I think) but my goodness are THEY good. And this recipe can definitely be done in the micro in the batter bowl? (I only have the small micro cooker and I dont have the rice cooker yet)

I did the cake in the batter bowl last night. I think you can use the butter-flavored cake without a problem--go for it!!!!

Wait. I confused myself. Is the cake made in the micro-cooker or the rice cooker?

The cake is made in the rice cooker or the batter bowl. It comes out wonderful without heating up the kitchen. hth.Lynda

When I do the lava cake in the fluted stone I flip it out on to my Large dots bowl. When I do it in my rice cooker I just scoop it out:)

JaimeQ said:
When I do the lava cake in the fluted stone I flip it out on to my Large dots bowl. When I do it in my rice cooker I just scoop it out:)
See, I tried it in the fluted stone and the whole thing fell apart when I flipped it out. The cake tasted cooked through but it was a mess. Maybe I didn't let it cool long enough? I followed the recipe, I think it cooled 5 or 10 minutes. That experience made me really reluctant to demo it... but the quickness and ease, and possibility of selling lots of rice cookers makes it a great add on for a chocolate bliss show with a high guest turn out.

dwyerkim said:
See, I tried it in the fluted stone and the whole thing fell apart when I flipped it out. The cake tasted cooked through but it was a mess. Maybe I didn't let it cool long enough? I followed the recipe, I think it cooled 5 or 10 minutes. That experience made me really reluctant to demo it... but the quickness and ease, and possibility of selling lots of rice cookers makes it a great add on for a chocolate bliss show with a high guest turn out.
I think mine ended up sitting longer than that, cause the guests where busy looking at the catalog. I made sure I sprayed the fluted stone really well. I also ended up cooking it longer than 9 minutes.

This was the recipe I followed when I did it in the fluted stone.

INCREDIBLE 12 MINUTE CAKES!!

Just follow these simple steps:
1. Brush your pan with vegetable oil with a pastry brush
2. Mix eggs and pie filling in Batter Bowl (a whisk works for most)
3. Add cake mix and blend well with Mix n Scraper.
4. Pour batter into pan and microwave on high for 12 - 13 minutes
5. Let cool 10 minutes and invert on platter

If you do not have a Carousel, rotate 1/4 turn every 3 minutes. Check with a cake tester and if not
done then cook 1 minute more each time before testing again.

small BB or Large?Can I use the small BB that came in my kit? So I just mix the cake according to package instructions,(egg, oil, water) dollop a whole can of frosting into it and micro 9 min?

That was a question of mine too, in the ones in the Rice cooker, you make the cake to the directions?? I have a fluted pan, and i want to do the micro cakes, but without the pie filling(dont like it)
But would those recipes work in the fluted pan?

I just wanted to share something. Tonight I made a microwave lava cake but I didn't add the right amount of icing because I just wanted enough to help my cake not dry out. I then cut it into cubes and used it in a peanut butter cup trifle. It was so good, quick and nice that it didn't heat up my kitchen. I just thought that I would share that with everyone.

YEAH! I did this at a show tonight... first time I've ever made this cake (my micro doens't have a turntable so I was reluctant to make it at home, plus then I would eat a whole cake which doesn't help me at all!). I was a little nervous tipping it out but it came out great, people were in awe, and I haven't scoured the orders to closely yet (just got home!) but I know I sold at least one rice cooker due to the cake, and I know I sold at least one celebrate plate, which I put the cake on. I did have a little bit stick in the cooker, and when I washed it at home I discovered it was dry cake mix that hadn't mixed in. So just FYI, mix it up well, though no one was the wiser with mine.

I also used the cake baking as a good way to time the closing of my show... put the cake in the micro then went into doing my why bag, the tool pass game, and then info about orders, warranties, etc. The cake was done about the same time I was done talking--so then I could direct everyone to serve themselves while I set up to do orders.

Aloha,
I just tried the Molton Lava Cake in the Rice Cooker and to be honest, it didn't come out that well. I used a chocolate cake mix and chocolate frosting for 9 minutes. It sort smelled while cooking and my son complained of the smell. When it came out I fipped it and it looked like all the frosting went to one side. It was lopsided and the frosting almost smelled burnt.
Any suggestions??

KimoMakano said:
Aloha,
I just tried the Molton Lava Cake in the Rice Cooker and to be honest, it didn't come out that well. I used a chocolate cake mix and chocolate frosting for 9 minutes. It sort smelled while cooking and my son complained of the smell. When it came out I fipped it and it looked like all the frosting went to one side. It was lopsided and the frosting almost smelled burnt.
Any suggestions??
Do you have a turntable in your microwave? It sounds like it cooked unevenly and somehow the frosting migrated to the side of the pan rather than staying in the middle. Did you place the frosting square in the middle? Did it sit at all before it went in the microwave (I'm thinking maybe that would give the frosting more time to "sink" and move around). Before giving up on it, I would try it again, seems like people have pretty good luck with it. I would definitely do it with a turntable though--I personally don't have a turntable in my micro so I've only made this once at a party (major risk since I hadn't tried it at home) but it came out fine.

Yes, my micro has a turntable. What I didn't do was place the frosting in the middle. I didn't see that in the recipe I found. One other thing that did happen that I forgot to mention. I had started the cake and a couple minutes into it we blew a fuse and I had to reset it. I wasn't sure how long it had cooked so I might have overcooked it. But the main thing that didn't seem right was the lopsidedness of the cake.
I was really a little disappointed because I had read so many good things about it. I will definitely try it again.

Okay, I tried it again and it came out much better this time. Funny that the original recipe I found didn't mention that the frosting needed to be put in the middle.
Oh well, I have a show tonight and think I will add this in.

Ok, if you have used the batter bowl and it turned out, can I use the large micro cooker. I thought the cake would only work in the rice cooker b/c it has a lid and the micro cooker lids have air vents.

When you make the cake in the Rice Cooker Plus you don't put the lid on. You just mix the cake, glop on half a can of frosting and put it in the microwave for 9-11 minutes. I usually let it cool for about 15 minutes and flip.

If you use the Fluted Stone you spray (with Kitchen Spritzer) or brush with the Basting Brush, add the batter and whole jar of frosting glopped around but not mixed in and microwave for 12-14 minutes. Let it cool (I still do 15 minutes) and flip. I have heard that you can flip them onto your plate right after you take it out of the microwave but just don't lift the RC or Stone for about 15 minutes. It's supposed to stick less to the stone that way, but I never tried it.

If you try it at a show and it doesn't turn out great. Don't worry about it. You just tell people that everyone's microwaves are different so there is no way to predict how it will turn out. No matter how it looks it still usually tastes good and you will almost always sell more Rice Cookers or Fluted Stones.

Haven't tried the Batter Bowl yet, but will soon.

Hope this helps clarify things a little.

:) Thank you Cindy

pamperedposey said:
When you make the cake in the Rice Cooker Plus you don't put the lid on. You just mix the cake, glop on half a can of frosting and put it in the microwave for 9-11 minutes. I usually let it cool for about 15 minutes and flip.

If you use the Fluted Stone you spray (with Kitchen Spritzer) or brush with the Basting Brush, add the batter and whole jar of frosting glopped around but not mixed in and microwave for 12-14 minutes. Let it cool (I still do 15 minutes) and flip. I have heard that you can flip them onto your plate right after you take it out of the microwave but just don't lift the RC or Stone for about 15 minutes. It's supposed to stick less to the stone that way, but I never tried it.

If you try it at a show and it doesn't turn out great. Don't worry about it. You just tell people that everyone's microwaves are different so there is no way to predict how it will turn out. No matter how it looks it still usually tastes good and you will almost always sell more Rice Cookers or Fluted Stones.

Haven't tried the Batter Bowl yet, but will soon.

Hope this helps clarify things a little.

I did it in the stone at home and it fell apart when I tipped it out. I think I didn't let it cool long enough. But when I did the rice cooker at a show it barely cooled and came out fine. So I guess some of it is luck!

PC_CPR said:
It's made in the Rice Cooker Plus. So if you search for Rice Cooker recipes, it will be among the other recipes.

It's basically a boxed cake and half a can of frosting. Make the cake mix in the cooker and drop dollops of the frosting over the mix (in center). Cook in micro for about 9 minutes. You should have a rotating tray in the micro.

Turn over onto a plate that is NOT flat (lava will spill over!).

I tried that once after another consultant told me about it, and it turned out very dry on top, and no lava. Do you put the lid on it?

and, only half of the can of frosting?

pamperedposey said:

No lid?? That is the first I have heard about that. How does the result differ?

I didn't see a difference in the result either way but it cooks in the same amount of time so that is why I don't use the lid. Also as far as using a plate that is not flat...use the celebrate plate if you have one. It was one way to use another product.

Last edited:
Sal,
I've always put the lid on. Did you flip the cake? Cause when it first comes out--the top is "dry" and the frosting is at the bottom. But after flipping it onto the plate there is no dry cake. Also, you may need to check your microwave--if it's a big powerful one--use 9 minutes exactly, no more. If it's a smaller micro, I'd leave it for a few minutes more.I just did this cake again last night--with great results!

Just a P.S. with the Rice Cooker, I can flip the cake almost immediately. I usually do NOT wait longer than 5 minutes. It comes out fine. The ONLY time it didn't come out perfect was at my mother-in-law's cause she has a very small microwave--it baked half of the cake. She still loved it!P.S. #2 -- Someone should try to do it on the micro steamer--but I'm scared! The plastic on the Rice Cooker is sturdier than on the steamer, too. I've tried it on the batter bowl and it works fine--except it dirties another bowl unlike the Rice Cooker where you mix it all in the same container.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kelly8
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
DebPC
Replies