• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Chicken in the DCB Safe to Cook from Frozen?

In summary, some people use the lid on the DCB to prevent pops, but others don't. Some people microwave frozen chicken breasts on high for 13 to 15 minutes.
BlessedWifeMommy
Okay I thought I would cook some chicken tenders in the DCB. I popped one pound in the DCB and added some onion on the bottom for flavor. Well I put it on and 4 minutes in I heard an explosion. The baker lid went up and down and scared me. I thought it was broken. One of the tenders had cooked faster than the others exploding. I was so shocked. Anyone else have this happen?

No, that's the first I've heard of anything like that but someone has to be first! :)
Yikes... I know that was scary!

Does anyone know if using the lid makes a difference? I generally don't cover my chicken in the DCB, just the pork tenderloin.

Good questions... I have done at least 100 boneless skinless chicken breasts and always have the lid on so I don't think so but this was a tender I think not a breast so it may.

i always cook chicken with the lid on also...even the whole chicken i leave the lid on for the whole time and have never had this happen....

I always leave the lid....though PC states it takes longer to cook. They have said that the test kitchens show no difference in tenderness and juiciness of the chicken between having the lid on or off. I usually have onions, carrots, etc hence the reason for the lid.

Never had an issue with popping, though.....I would have jumped so high!

How long do you cook chicken breasts in the dcb?

3 minutes per Grocery store chicken breast. If they are huge, like at costco, double it.

I usually buy those bags of flash frozen chicken breasts, then when I need some chicken, I take it out and put it in the DCB and season, cover and put in the microwave and cook on high for 13 to 15 minutes (depending on how big and how much chicken) then check with my thermometer. It works great and you don't have to remember to thaw the chicken ahead of time (I am so not good at that!). The chicken is great for like the Jerk Chicken Nachos, just use the salad choppers to chop it up and finish the recipe. I have never had a pop either, but these are always breasts not strips... but it seems like I occasionally buy the strips too and haven't had that problem.

ChefPaulaB said:
I usually buy those bags of flash frozen chicken breasts, then when I need some chicken, I take it out and put it in the DCB and season, cover and put in the microwave and cook on high for 13 to 15 minutes (depending on how big and how much chicken) then check with my thermometer. It works great and you don't have to remember to thaw the chicken ahead of time (I am so not good at that!). The chicken is great for like the Jerk Chicken Nachos, just use the salad choppers to chop it up and finish the recipe. I have never had a pop either, but these are always breasts not strips... but it seems like I occasionally buy the strips too and haven't had that problem.

I thought we weren't supposed to put frozen chicken on the stoneware. I've been telling people no. Can we?

That's for putting solid thick, frozen chicken breasts onto stoneware and then putting it in a hot oven. The microwave is not hot, so it is not a problem. The stoneware gets warms as the chicken gets warm.

kristina16marie said:
I thought we weren't supposed to put frozen chicken on the stoneware. I've been telling people no. Can we?

Some people do it...but I don't. It's a little too like living on the edge for me...I want to keep my DCB (and other stoneware) around for as long as possible!

I always thaw or defrost before cooking in my DCB and other stoneware.

kristina16marie said:

I do it all the time (for the microwave not the oven) and have never had a problem... someone else told me to do it, can't remember if it was on this site or from my director, but I haven't had any problems... It's part of the great thing about for me, because I never remember to thaw anything out...

If it's in the microwave, it's not an intense heat right away. The stoneware and the chicken should heat up gradually enough (I would think.) It's putting a concentrated frozen item like a chicken breast on the stone in the OVEN that they have said not to do. But I'm not an expert, I'd ask the test kitchens to see what they think.

Thanks everyone! I don't want to be giving out the wrong info. So what are your thoughts on the 30 min chicken - starting from frozen? Is that too dense for the microwave? Will it heat up slowly in the DCB?

kristina16marie said:
Thanks everyone! I don't want to be giving out the wrong info. So what are your thoughts on the 30 min chicken - starting from frozen? Is that too dense for the microwave? Will it heat up slowly in the DCB?

I don't think I would do a whole frozen chicken. Not necessarily because it would crack the stone, but because it would probably cook uneven. Also, chickens come with the baggies inside, not sure if they are plastic?

kristina16marie said:

I don't think I'd ever try that. I think it would take a long time. Plus the innards in the bag need to be removed and that's probably hard to do in the frozen state.

What is the DCB?

The DCB stands for the Deep Covered Baker, which is a stoneware dish made by Pampered Chef. It is designed to cook food evenly and retain moisture, making it perfect for cooking chicken.

Do I need to preheat the DCB before cooking chicken?

No, the DCB does not require preheating. However, you can preheat it if you prefer, just be sure to adjust your cooking time accordingly.

What types of chicken can I cook in the DCB?

You can cook a variety of chicken cuts in the DCB, including whole chicken, chicken breasts, chicken thighs, and chicken drumsticks. You can also cook boneless or bone-in chicken.

Do I need to add liquid when cooking chicken in the DCB?

No, the stoneware material of the DCB helps to retain moisture, so you do not need to add any additional liquid when cooking chicken. However, you can add some liquid, such as broth or wine, for extra flavor if desired.

How do I clean the DCB after cooking chicken?

The DCB is dishwasher safe, but it is recommended to hand wash it with warm soapy water to maintain its quality. If there are stubborn food residues, you can use a nylon scraper or brush to remove them. Avoid using metal utensils on the stoneware surface.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• brandikpc
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
DebPC
Replies
Views
kristina16marie
  • stephanieboyd
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies