1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Chicken in the DCB question...

1. BlessedWifeMommy

BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

Okay I thought I would cook some chicken tenders in the DCB. I popped one pound in the DCB and added some onion on the bottom for flavor. Well I put it on and 4 minutes in I heard an explosion. The baker lid went up and down and scared me. I thought it was broken. One of the tenders had cooked faster than the others exploding. I was so shocked. Anyone else have this happen?

2. quiverfull7

quiverfull7 Legacy Member Gold Member

No, that's the first I've heard of anything like that but someone has to be first! :)
    Yikes... I know that was scary!

May 2, 2009
  3. legacypc46

legacypc46 Senior Member Gold Member

Does anyone know if using the lid makes a difference? I generally don't cover my chicken in the DCB, just the pork tenderloin.

May 2, 2009
  4. quiverfull7

quiverfull7 Legacy Member Gold Member

Good questions... I have done at least 100 boneless skinless chicken breasts and always have the lid on so I don't think so but this was a tender I think not a breast so it may.

May 2, 2009
  5. pckrissy

pckrissy Advanced Member

i always cook chicken with the lid on also...even the whole chicken i leave the lid on for the whole time and have never had this happen....

May 2, 2009
  6. Jolie_Paradoxe

Jolie_Paradoxe Senior Member Gold Member

I always leave the lid....though PC states it takes longer to cook. They have said that the test kitchens show no difference in tenderness and juiciness of the chicken between having the lid on or off. I usually have onions, carrots, etc hence the reason for the lid.

Never had an issue with popping, though.....I would have jumped so high!

7. TrishPCMommy

TrishPCMommy Member Gold Member

How long do you cook chicken breasts in the dcb?

May 14, 2009
  8. avelissar

avelissar Member

3 minutes per Grocery store chicken breast. If they are huge, like at costco, double it.

May 14, 2009
  9. ChefPaulaB

ChefPaulaB Veteran Member

I usually buy those bags of flash frozen chicken breasts, then when I need some chicken, I take it out and put it in the DCB and season, cover and put in the microwave and cook on high for 13 to 15 minutes (depending on how big and how much chicken) then check with my thermometer. It works great and you don't have to remember to thaw the chicken ahead of time (I am so not good at that!). The chicken is great for like the Jerk Chicken Nachos, just use the salad choppers to chop it up and finish the recipe. I have never had a pop either, but these are always breasts not strips... but it seems like I occasionally buy the strips too and haven't had that problem.

May 15, 2009
  10. kristina16marie

kristina16marie Advanced Member Gold Member

I thought we weren't supposed to put frozen chicken on the stoneware. I've been telling people no. Can we?

11. AnnieBee

AnnieBee Veteran Member Gold Member

That's for putting solid thick, frozen chicken breasts onto stoneware and then putting it in a hot oven. The microwave is not hot, so it is not a problem. The stoneware gets warms as the chicken gets warm.

May 30, 2009
  12. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

Some people do it...but I don't. It's a little too like living on the edge for me...I want to keep my DCB (and other stoneware) around for as long as possible!

May 30, 2009
  13. pamperedharriet

pamperedharriet Legacy Member

I always thaw or defrost before cooking in my DCB and other stoneware.

14. ChefPaulaB

ChefPaulaB Veteran Member

I do it all the time (for the microwave not the oven) and have never had a problem... someone else told me to do it, can't remember if it was on this site or from my director, but I haven't had any problems... It's part of the great thing about for me, because I never remember to thaw anything out...

Jun 1, 2009
  15. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

If it's in the microwave, it's not an intense heat right away. The stoneware and the chicken should heat up gradually enough (I would think.) It's putting a concentrated frozen item like a chicken breast on the stone in the OVEN that they have said not to do. But I'm not an expert, I'd ask the test kitchens to see what they think.

Jun 1, 2009
  16. kristina16marie

kristina16marie Advanced Member Gold Member

Thanks everyone! I don't want to be giving out the wrong info. So what are your thoughts on the 30 min chicken - starting from frozen? Is that too dense for the microwave? Will it heat up slowly in the DCB?

17. BlessedWifeMommy

BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

I don't think I would do a whole frozen chicken. Not necessarily because it would crack the stone, but because it would probably cook uneven. Also, chickens come with the baggies inside, not sure if they are plastic?

18. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

I don't think I'd ever try that. I think it would take a long time. Plus the innards in the bag need to be removed and that's probably hard to do in the frozen state.

Jun 1, 2009
Have something to add?