• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Caution When Using Cookware in Oven

In summary, people who use the 12in skillet recipes should be careful not to touch the handle later and people should try using an oven mitt when taking the skillet out of the oven.
CooknSteph
:love:I love the 12in skillet recipes, especially with the DCB a host only item. I am focusing more on the grill pan and the 12in skillet.:cry: But I am going to have 3rd degree burns. Yes I use a pot holder to take it out of oven but after a minute or two I forget and touch the handle. OOOUUUCH !!
Guess what I'm trying to say is becarfull doing this and warn your customers. I am thinking about getting a non PC pot holder and sewing it to make a tube like pot holder to leave on the handle. I think PC needs to come up with a product like this!!
Do we email this to them or call it in?:confused:

Steph, I think this is a great idea!I have a great skillet that I use this way, and I am terrible about touching it later. I used to have a great little tube-shaped pot holder, but when we moved it seems to have gotten lost...I have a little leather knife sheath I use to cover the handle now, but for me, I gotta get a pot holder. I'd love it if it were PC, but meanwhile...

How about sticking the oven mitt on the end when you take it out of the oven?Been there, done that myself!

I did the same thing the very first time I used my 8" skillet! I'm glad it's not just me. I never do that with a baking dish, but that handle just begs to be grabbed! Of course I suffered that injury the day after I cut my finger on the apple wedger! Can I add bandaids and first aid cream as business expenses?

wadesgirl said:
How about sticking the oven mitt on the end when you take it out of the oven?

Been there, done that myself!

That's exactly what I do when I set the pan down. It also helps us remember that the whole pan is hot. I've done that too - live and learn!

wadesgirl said:

Me too...AFTER I seriously fried my hand...I also mention it at shows when using the cookware...

"I am thinking about getting a non PC pot holder and sewing it to make a tube like pot holder to leave on the handle. I think PC needs to come up with a product like this!!
Do we email this to them or call it in? "

I have been suggesting that for 2 years. Just something to slip over the handle. I do not use mitts, so I can't use that (although it's a great idea).

Email them through CC, product suggestions.

I've burned myself also ...

Haven't done this yet but I plan to take the microfiber towel that my dogs got hold of (just one corner chewed off), fold it up, and sew it into a longish mitt to slip over the handle.

wadesgirl said:

DITTO!!

I've had guests at my shows grab the handle and now I ALWAYS put the oven mitt over the handle as soon as I remove the pan from oven and set it down.

It would be nice, though, to have something we make specifically for that!

course, I cut myself first time I used the knife from my kit, too....Are we just accident prone?I used to date someone who told me never to take anything out of the oven, they would do it--I burned myself so many times. I am not as bad, now, but....

I burnt a spot on my collar bone when flipping the skillet over on a simple addition plate. ouch!

cmcchef said:
I did the same thing the very first time I used my 8" skillet! I'm glad it's not just me. I never do that with a baking dish, but that handle just begs to be grabbed! Of course I suffered that injury the day after I cut my finger on the apple wedger! Can I add bandaids and first aid cream as business expenses?

I've done both things, too!!! (The apple wedger got me 3 stitches!!)...and I now put an old oven mitt on the handle of the cookware once it comes out of the oven.

Last edited:
BlueMoon said:
course, I cut myself first time I used the knife from my kit, too....Are we just accident prone?

I used to date someone who told me never to take anything out of the oven, they would do it--I burned myself so many times. I am not as bad, now, but....

Total klutz! There are several threads on here about the different ways I have hurt myself with PC products! The strangest is the kitchen spritzer!

wadesgirl said:
Total klutz! There are several threads on here about the different ways I have hurt myself with PC products! The strangest is the kitchen spritzer!
I think I NEED to read the kitchen spritzer story!!!

wadesgirl said:

Every time I use the Chef's Tongs, I get pinched!

I burned my hand too - once....I was a quick learner :D

Been there, done that too! And I DO put the oven mitt over the handle. I burnt myself still though! After dinner was done, I went to clean up the dishes. I took the mitt off the handle and grabbed it to wash the pan (it was my 10" executive skillet). The silicone part of the handle was still warm- but not so much that I couldn't handle it...but the METAL end (where the loop/hole is), was still very hot!! The mitt had kept the heat in and didn't really let it cool much.

ChefetteDuJour said:
I've burned myself also ...

Haven't done this yet but I plan to take the microfiber towel that my dogs got hold of (just one corner chewed off), fold it up, and sew it into a longish mitt to slip over the handle.

What is the microfiber made from?? If it is polyester, it will melt, then not only will you be burned, you would have microfiber stuck to your skin!!

I burned my hand just the other day. Made chicken teriyaki in stainless steel pan, took it out of the oven with a mitt, then my DH asked for some of the sauce (pan drippings) for his rice. I went to pick up the pan to pour the sauce over his rice, whoops, let go of that pan fast!!!:blushing:

I'm a member of the "burn" club. I've also cut myself with the knives, but haven't needed stitches. I did break a toe on a piece of furniture before a party started once.

shelly.nurse said:
What is the microfiber made from?? If it is polyester, it will melt, then not only will you be burned, you would have microfiber stuck to your skin!!

I burned my hand just the other day. Made chicken teriyaki in stainless steel pan, took it out of the oven with a mitt, then my DH asked for some of the sauce (pan drippings) for his rice. I went to pick up the pan to pour the sauce over his rice, whoops, let go of that pan fast!!!:blushing:

You're right, Shelly, it might very well melt ... I was really thinking of slipping it on either as I take it out of the oven or after it's on the trivet.

I don't see in Use&Care how much heat the cranberry trivet could take* (other than no direct contact with elements) -- but it could possibly be fashioned into a holder of some sort ... Hmmm...
*UPDATE - Now I see where it can take up to 675 degrees... Maybe HO can come up with a prototype.

Last edited:
I burned myself once, when taking the skilled out and forgetting it was still hot when I went to flip the cake. I then took a regular potholder, folded it in half, and made it in to a tube with one open end. I then made a bunch for my team so they wouldn't do the same thing. So now, when the pan comes out, I slip my tube over the end, so I don't hit the metal again, ouch

I use the oven pad and slide it over the handle. Because it is open ended, the handle still cools off. Makes a great visual reminder to use caution. This has helped in selling an extra few oven pads. Tell my guests to buy one for each hand and the extra to slip over the handle of their cookware when it comes out of the oven.

I just cut myself on the Pineapple Corer today at a show. I was demo-ing the locking knife case and unlocked it and the knife dropped out and I grabbed the blade with my hand. Only a little cut but a lot of oooohhhh's and aaaahhhh's. I didn't tell any of my guests I cut my hand. I some how snuck off and put on a bandaid and no one noticed.

1. Can all types of cookware be used in the oven?

No, not all types of cookware are safe to use in the oven. It is important to check the manufacturer's instructions or packaging to determine if the cookware is oven-safe.

2. What happens if I use non-oven safe cookware in the oven?

Using non-oven safe cookware in the oven can lead to warping, melting, or even a potential fire hazard. Always make sure to use cookware that is specifically labeled as safe for use in the oven.

3. Can I use metal cookware in the oven?

Yes, as long as it is labeled as oven-safe. However, it is important to note that metal cookware can get very hot and may pose a burn risk when handling it out of the oven.

4. What temperature can I safely use my cookware in the oven?

The temperature limit for oven-safe cookware varies depending on the material it is made of. For example, most glass cookware can handle temperatures up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, while some metal cookware can withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Always check the manufacturer's instructions for the specific temperature limit of your cookware.

5. Can I use my cookware in the oven if it has a plastic handle?

No, it is not safe to use cookware with plastic handles in the oven. The high heat can cause the plastic to melt or release harmful chemicals. Look for cookware with heat-resistant handles specifically labeled as oven-safe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lt1jane
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • lindy0116
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Zsu
  • AnnieBee