• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can't Stop Coughing? Try These Natural Remedies for Relief!

In summary, the person is coughing and their symptoms are not going away. They are trying to find remedies but do not know what else to do.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
So Evan had to go to the dr's on Friday of last week, ped thought he had the beginning of brochitus or pnemonia. He was put on antibiotics and a breathing treatment every 4 hours over the weekend. By Monday (at his recheck) he was doing soooo much better, they said to wean him off of the breathing treatments. But, by then, *I* had to see the doctor! I can not stop coughing. I can't take cough meds with codine (makes me barf, sorry for the visual...) so they gave me tesslon pearls to take 3 times a day. It is not even touching my cough. I called them back this afternoon, and they said the only other thing I can do is take albuterol 2 puffs every 4 hours. I did that a couple of hours ago and I didn't notice any difference.

I have not really slept since Sunday night. By Monday afternoon I tried to lay down after we got home from the drs and the coughing kept me up. Last night I tried to build up some blankets and pillows to keep my head up slightly and I slept off and on. I am about to lose it here.

Anyone have any old grandma's solutions for coughs? It is just a dry cough...if I try to take a deep breath, I cough...but then again just breathing shallow doesn't keep the coughs away.

I need to sleep. My ab muscles need a break.

Prayers would be appreciated! Let me know if you have any other remedies! Only thing...the roads are terrible here, so I can't go out and buy any crazy ingredients!!

Nyquil was the only thing that worked for me.

Methol - like Vicks rub...Those pearls only work for some people...doctor warned me.Staying upright is the best you can do...I cannot take codeine either. Between Musinex, Flonase and antibiotics, that is all I could do to knock that out. I had that cough FOR A WHOLE MONTH in November. ...hope you start to feel better...

Home Remedies for Dry Cough
The recipe is from Herbally Yours by Penny C. Royal, 3rd Edition, June 1982. It seems to work for all kinds of coughs but especially for that dry hacky cough that keeps you awake and hangs on long after the cold is over.

One of our international students recently told me that her mother in India used to give her a cough medicine with similar ingredients.

It soothes an irritated throat and relieves chest congestion and phlegm. The bad news: it tastes terrible -- it really does -- but if you have a persistant cough, it's worth a try.

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons water
Mix and take by the teaspoon.
The recipe doesn't indicate how much to take. I took 3 teaspoons the first time because I had a bad dry cough for over three weeks, and I was desparate for some relief. It worked and I got a good night's sleep. I have been recommending it to others ever since, and many have confirmed my positive results.

Consider the beneficial effects of the individual ingredients:

Ginger (zingiber officinale) has long been used and recommended for arthritis and bursitis, because it is a natural anti-inflammatory. According to Home Herbal, by Penelope Ody, D.K. Publishing, June 1995, ginger is a natural antihistamine. It has also been used for for motion sickness and nausea, and in addition, it's known for relieving chest congestion, according to Dr. Andrew Weil, Herbal Medicine Chest http://cgi.pathfinder.com/drweil/herbal/medchest

Cayenne (capsaicin) reduces pain, according to Herbs for Health and Healing, by Kathi Keville, Rodale Press, Emmaus, PA, 1996. The same substance that makes cayenne peppers hot relieves the pain by suppressing a chemical that carries the pain message from nerves in the affected area to the brain. According to Home Herbal, by P. Ody, cayenne is warming and stimulating, it is a good cold remedy and eases chills and will even ease the lingering pain from shingles.

Vinegar has so many healthful uses. See my article, Vinegar: Ancient Medicine and Popular Home Remedy in Connections Quarterly, Summer 1998 Issue.

Honey, according to Home Herbal by P. Ody, will draw pus and poisons out of wounds and it is useful for relief from colds.

Water is probably added to make it less strong tasting but it is still strong!
I keep the mixture in the refrigerator after I make it but I don't know if it is necessary.

The next time you have a cough that just won't quit, you might want to give this homemade cough recipe a try.

HTH!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kelly,
I can relate....
I have had a vaporizor plugged in since New Years day. I'm sure my house reeks of Vicks
I also have been using the Vicks shower soothers I had in the drawer
Today I've been drinking decaf tea. I stirred a little sugar, ginger and some wasabi paste it burned for a minute but I did feel relief
the dr. changed my inhalers 4 times since I've had this crud & yesterday gave me albuterol pills.

You're in my prayers, Kelly.

Kelly,
I had the cough and that darn flu that went with it for 6 months! :cry: I stopped coughing last Sunday!:sing:
I hated it the worst part is you just can't get enough sleep, no apatite, constantly cold , and then when you do cough your lungs hurt and then the leakage I mean you accidentally wet yourself.:yuck: Sorry for the visual.

What I had to do for the cough was vicks vapor rub on chest,menthol cough drops, and good old fashioned honey and lemon juice with a bit of warm water, then the old fashioned chicken soup.:chef:
the dr couldn't give me meds I had reactions to the following antibiotics, tetracycline,ampicillin,penicillin, and tylonol . the reactions were rashes and yeast infections and patchy swollen skin and vomiting.:yuck: If you have this it will take some time before you can get rid of it.

I hope you get better soon!:D
l monninger

vwpamperedchef said:
Home Remedies for Dry Cough
The recipe is from Herbally Yours by Penny C. Royal, 3rd Edition, June 1982. It seems to work for all kinds of coughs but especially for that dry hacky cough that keeps you awake and hangs on long after the cold is over.

One of our international students recently told me that her mother in India used to give her a cough medicine with similar ingredients.

It soothes an irritated throat and relieves chest congestion and phlegm. The bad news: it tastes terrible -- it really does -- but if you have a persistant cough, it's worth a try.

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons water
Mix and take by the teaspoon.
The recipe doesn't indicate how much to take. I took 3 teaspoons the first time because I had a bad dry cough for over three weeks, and I was desparate for some relief. It worked and I got a good night's sleep. I have been recommending it to others ever since, and many have confirmed my positive results.

Consider the beneficial effects of the individual ingredients:

Ginger (zingiber officinale) has long been used and recommended for arthritis and bursitis, because it is a natural anti-inflammatory. According to Home Herbal, by Penelope Ody, D.K. Publishing, June 1995, ginger is a natural antihistamine. It has also been used for for motion sickness and nausea, and in addition, it's known for relieving chest congestion, according to Dr. Andrew Weil, Herbal Medicine Chest http://cgi.pathfinder.com/drweil/herbal/medchest

Cayenne (capsaicin) reduces pain, according to Herbs for Health and Healing, by Kathi Keville, Rodale Press, Emmaus, PA, 1996. The same substance that makes cayenne peppers hot relieves the pain by suppressing a chemical that carries the pain message from nerves in the affected area to the brain. According to Home Herbal, by P. Ody, cayenne is warming and stimulating, it is a good cold remedy and eases chills and will even ease the lingering pain from shingles.

Vinegar has so many healthful uses. See my article, Vinegar: Ancient Medicine and Popular Home Remedy in Connections Quarterly, Summer 1998 Issue.

Honey, according to Home Herbal by P. Ody, will draw pus and poisons out of wounds and it is useful for relief from colds.

Water is probably added to make it less strong tasting but it is still strong!
I keep the mixture in the refrigerator after I make it but I don't know if it is necessary.

The next time you have a cough that just won't quit, you might want to give this homemade cough recipe a try.

HTH!
I don't care how bad it tastes...if I can sleep, I can get myself to swallow it!! (No comments from the peanut gallery...DH has already suggested THAT one!:eek: )

I don't know how I forgot about putting Vick's vapo rub on the soles of my feet...I did that about 25 minutes ago, and it may be "in my head" but it HAS helped! Not sure how I will do if I try to lay down, but it has calmed it down for the time being!

Thanks for all of the prayers!:thumbup: :thumbup:

Stop Coughing NOWI had pneumonia when I was pregnant with out daughter and couldn't take alot of med due to the pregnancy. Here are some remides that REALLY work.

Dr Pepper WARM then add lemon juice to taste about a tablespoon. Sip and enjoy being cough free.

Vicks Vapor rube on the bottoms of your feet then warm socks, stops cough and opens sinus.

Spray a fine mist of Apple Cider Vinager on your pillowcase.

I swear they all WORK

Carol

cwinter474 said:
I had pneumonia when I was pregnant with out daughter and couldn't take alot of med due to the pregnancy. Here are some remides that REALLY work.

Vicks Vapor rube on the bottoms of your feet then warm socks, stops cough and opens sinus.

I just got an email on this today - swearing that it works - give it a try and sleep well and feel better!!!

Here in MI, it's warm Vernors ginger ale when you're sick. mmm.....I might go see if I have any in the basement. I'm not sick, but it's yummy.

Vicks is on my feet as we speak, it didn't keep the coughing at bay for very long. I will reapply before bed, though, as it certainly can't hurt!

As for the home remedy...it CERTAINLY clears the sinuses. Jury is still out on how it works on the cough. So far, it hasn't stopped it.

Carol~ I will certainly try misting my pillowcase before bed. Thanks for the extra ideas! Not sure if we have any Dr. Pepper here, though. Generic Dr. Pepper probably wouldn't work, huh?

cwinter474 said:
I had pneumonia when I was pregnant with out daughter and couldn't take alot of med due to the pregnancy. Here are some remides that REALLY work.

Dr Pepper WARM then add lemon juice to taste about a tablespoon. Sip and enjoy being cough free.

Spray a fine mist of Apple Cider Vinager on your pillowcase.

I swear they all WORK

Carol

Oh Kelly, Hon, I know exactly what you are going through....I'm right there with you! And it's even harder when you have a little one going through the same crud.....I'll be praying that you will get some rest and relief.

The Vicks on the bottom of your feet really does work - even better than putting it on your chest! It has worked well for Micah and me. Also - a teaspoon of honey - that really does help, along with warm water with lemon and honey.....but just before you go to bed, swallow slowly a whole teaspoon of honey(this coats your throat nicely), and then put the Vicks on the bottom of your feet and put on nice thick socks.

I have been able to take the cough syrup with codeine, thankfully - but of course, Micah can't have it....

do you have mr Phib - I think that is what it is called - my kids say its the same as Dr Pepper -

Kelly,
when you can get out (or DH on way home from work have him bring home triaminic cough patches for kids) I did find relief for awhile with them they are cherry menthol fragranced. Found some in my daughters bathroom and swiped her box

Hope the news is much better tomorrow, Kelly!!!!! You surely have had a rough winter!!!!

I hope the rest of the cheffers are feeling better soon too!!!!!!

I'm sure Mr Phib or any Dr Pepper generics would work. I think it has to do with the cherry flavoring...

Good Luck

Will check back in the morning to see how you slept

Carol

You'll have to let us know if it works. I'm saying a prayer for you right now. Sleep is so important. I'm off to get some soon.

Kudos to Kelly for trying the home remedy! I dont like cayanne pepper, so it would never work for me.

I hope you managed to get some sleep last night!

I *DID* actually sleep most of the night, thank you Lord! Actually, I was so tired I fell asleep on the couch and DH couldn't get me up. I woke up freezing at about 1AM and went to bed. Started a coughing fit and thought it was going to be like the last few nights. I got back up, took some Formula 44 D, slathered on the vicks on my feet, and popped in a halls. Went back in there and was able to fall asleep! I am still coughing today, but I feel so much better that I was able to sleep!

Thanks everyone for your prayers!

Glad you are feeling better!

My granny used to make her version of cough syrup when we were little. Equal parts Lemon Juice, Honey, and Brandy. Just sip it, it will knock you out! (reminds me of the Baldwin sisters 'recipe' from the Waltons!)

Kelly - I'm glad you were able to finally get some rest! That makes such a huge difference.

I ended up sleeping on the couch for several nights when I was at my worst. It was easier for me to sleep propped up on the couch. Every time I would lay down in bed, I would start coughing again - the only way I could sleep was half-sitting up. I think it lessened my stress too, because I didn't feel like I was keeping DH up all night with my coughing.

Praying that you are stronger & cough free today!! This time of year is horrible for "bugs" around here! My kids just all went through it! God Bless you Kelly!!

ChefBeckyD said:
Kelly - I'm glad you were able to finally get some rest! That makes such a huge difference.

I ended up sleeping on the couch for several nights when I was at my worst. It was easier for me to sleep propped up on the couch. Every time I would lay down in bed, I would start coughing again - the only way I could sleep was half-sitting up. I think it lessened my stress too, because I didn't feel like I was keeping DH up all night with my coughing.

I sleep on the couch whenever I have a cough, too. I get totally stressed about keeping DH up.

Glad you are doing better today, Kelly. Get as much rest as you can and drink lots of fluids!

I'm testing the Vicks on (10 yo) DS right now...not sure if i could get him to take the herbal remedy.
My 5 year old DS just had his tonsils & adnoids out yesterday (+ ear tubes put in) so i am so paranoid he will get this cough, that would just add so much agony for the poor thing.

Glad you are feeling *better*. Hopefully, you slept well again and you feel even better. Everytime I have been feeling a little unwell, I demand that it leave my body and I pray a lot about it. I pray over my daughter daily that she stays well and she prays for everything. At 4 1/2 we are amazed. Everytime someone doesn't feel well or is hurt, she prays for them. We haven't had any major illness in our house yet and I just continue to pray that continues.

Kelly - Hope you are better!DS gave this to me - woke up this a.m. - coughing, chills, feeling like crap...congested... :( Work is going to be SOOOOO long today!

Hope you get over your coughing soon Kelly. I know there has been a lot of that yucky stuff going around here. No Thank You!! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

What are some natural remedies for a persistent cough?

Some natural remedies for a persistent cough include drinking hot tea with honey and lemon, using a humidifier, gargling with salt water, and taking cough drops with natural ingredients like menthol or eucalyptus.

Can certain foods or drinks help with a cough?

Yes, certain foods and drinks can help with a cough. For example, pineapple has anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe a cough, and ginger can help with chest congestion. Warm liquids like soup or broth can also help to loosen mucus and relieve a cough.

Are there any essential oils that can help with a cough?

Yes, there are several essential oils that can help with a cough. Eucalyptus, peppermint, and lavender oils have been known to have soothing effects on the throat and airways. You can add a few drops of these oils to a diffuser or mix them with a carrier oil and apply it to your chest.

Is there anything I should avoid when trying natural remedies for a cough?

It is best to avoid dairy products, caffeine, and alcohol when trying natural remedies for a cough. These can irritate the throat and make a cough worse. It is also important to stay hydrated and avoid smoking or being around secondhand smoke.

When should I see a doctor for a persistent cough?

If your cough lasts for more than a week or is accompanied by other symptoms like fever, difficulty breathing, or chest pain, it is important to see a doctor. A persistent cough could be a sign of an underlying condition that requires medical treatment.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
lkprescott
  • apriljc
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedbecky
  • Crystal Patton
  • General Chat
Replies