• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can You Save Burnt Tomato Sauce?

In summary, there are several ways to reduce acidity in a sauce. One option is to add a small amount of baking soda, but be careful not to add too much as it can alter the flavor. Sugar can also be used, but in moderation to avoid making the sauce too sweet. Dairy products like cream, milk, or butter can also help neutralize the acid, but this may affect the taste and texture of the sauce. It is not recommended to use vinegar as it will only increase the acidity. A pinch of baking soda is usually enough to reduce acidity, but more can be added if necessary.
AJPratt
Silver Member
Besides sugar, what would you use to cut the acidity in tomato sauce?

I just googled it and someone from Food Network suggests pats of butter and a small splash of half and half.

a CARROTMy grandmother (from Sicily) always put a carrot in her sauce.Whole & unpeeled. remove before serving.

I use carrots also. :)

Two questions:

1) Does it change the taste since I have sugar in the sauce?

2) How long do you leave it in there? The sauce cooks all day and then I serve it the next night.

I do not find that it affects the taste. Just seems to tone down the acidity and add a slight sweetness. I also use Fresh Sweet Basil. :)
(I leave it in the whole time that the sauce simmers)

Anything dairy should do the trick too, plain yogurt is great!

My mom always uses carrot's too.

I've also heard of 1/2 peeled potato. But carrot is what I've heard most of the time.
Supposedly it soaks up the acidity and you just remove the potato before serving.

Well, it wasn't the acidity that was the problem... It was the half inch thick layer of burnt whatever on the bottom of the pot. I think I ruined it. It's not PC but I'm bummed. I don't even know how it happened. I had turned off the burner. Maybe my guest was trying to help and turned it back on? I dont know. My husband was a complete nudge. He hurt his back and suddenly couldn't do ANYTHING and had me running all over. Maybe that's when it happened. Why was I running all over? Beats me.

1. How can I reduce the acidity in my sauce?

One way to reduce acidity in sauce is by adding a pinch of baking soda. This will neutralize the acid and make the sauce less acidic. However, be careful not to add too much as it can alter the flavor of the sauce.

2. Can I use sugar to cut the acidity in my sauce?

Yes, adding a small amount of sugar can help reduce the acidity in a sauce. However, be careful not to add too much as it can make the sauce too sweet.

3. Will adding dairy products help reduce the acidity in my sauce?

Yes, dairy products like cream, milk, or butter can help neutralize the acid in a sauce. However, it is important to note that this method may alter the flavor and texture of the sauce.

4. Can I use vinegar to reduce the acidity in my sauce?

No, adding vinegar to a sauce will only increase the acidity. It is better to use one of the other methods mentioned, such as baking soda or dairy products, to reduce acidity.

5. How much baking soda should I add to my sauce to reduce acidity?

A pinch of baking soda is usually enough to reduce the acidity in a sauce. You can always add more if needed, but be careful not to add too much as it can change the flavor of the sauce.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pctharper
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • krahema
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
PCJenni
Replies