• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Slice Cucumbers on the UM Without Seeding Them First?

In summary, the cucumber didn't stay on the food holder because it was cut in half and seeded. The cucumbers could have been better if they were sliced on the UM with a V-shaped blade and not chopped.
jesusluvsu2005
I tried to slice cucmbers (that had been seeded so they were also cut in half) and it wouldn't work. Do y'all seed the cucumber when you slice on the UM? Or maybe use the seedless? The cucumbers couldn't stay on there good because they were cut in half and seeded. Less to hold on to. Anyone got any tips? Thanks!
God bless,
Amanda

Use short pieces. If you cut them into 3" lengths, and fit 2 (or even 3 if they're small) pieces into the food holder, it'll work better.

I did do that but it still didn't work. Maybe the cucumber was too soft, because it kept kind of smooshing them instead.

The cucumber didn't feel soft but maybe it wasn't as firm as some. Can't remember. Would love to do it at a show for the chicken clubhouse squares but I am nervous about it messing up like it did on me.

You can also use the corer to remove the seeds. Then the cucumber is one piece. You still need to cut them into about 3 inch pieces for best results.

I don't have the corer but that is a good idea. Thanks! I'll have to try and get it soon.

Here are a few things I thought:

-- Make sure that the food holder is "on the track" of the mandoline. If the blade isn't being triggered to open up, the cucumber would just mush.

-- I always seed my cucumbers with The Corer. Then I don't cut them in half, I slice them so there are holes in the middle. I use a knife to halve or quarter the slices (if need be) when I'm done on the UM.

Last edited:
BethCooks4U said:
You can also use the corer to remove the seeds. Then the cucumber is one piece. You still need to cut them into about 3 inch pieces for best results.

Great minds. :)

Anything that is not firm doesn't work so good in the UM. That might have been your problem too.

Use the V-shaped blade--it's best for things with tough skins and soft insides.

I have done them with the v-blade. I find myself using the v-blade for everything btu grating - it seems towork best for it all.

i've even sliced mushrooms in my UM....i lurve it

1. How do I slice cucumbers evenly in the Um?

To slice cucumbers evenly in the Um, first make sure the cucumber is washed and dried. Then, hold the cucumber firmly in one hand and place the Um slicer on top with the blades facing down. With your other hand, gently press down and push the Um through the cucumber in one smooth motion.

2. Can I adjust the thickness of the cucumber slices with the Um slicer?

Yes, the Um slicer has an adjustable knob that allows you to choose the desired thickness of your cucumber slices. Simply turn the knob to the desired number before slicing.

3. Is the Um slicer safe to use for children?

The Um slicer is designed for adult use only. Please keep it out of reach of children and always use caution when handling sharp blades.

4. Can I use the Um slicer for other vegetables besides cucumbers?

Yes, the Um slicer can be used for slicing a variety of vegetables such as zucchini, carrots, and potatoes. It can also be used for slicing fruits like apples and pears.

5. How do I clean the Um slicer?

To clean the Um slicer, first remove any remaining vegetable or fruit pieces from the blades. Then, hand wash the slicer with warm soapy water and let it air dry. Do not put it in the dishwasher as it may damage the blades.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• afokkema4u
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • Jennie50
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • Stampaholic1961