• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Bring My 5-Month-Old to Director Training or Should I Leave Him at Home?

In summary, the woman wants to take her 5 month old son to a training on how to take a bottle, but he will scream and be difficult to keep quiet for the entire duration. She suggests either leaving him at home or bringing him with her, but she is concerned about other attendees who have traveled to the training.
chefmoseley
Gold Member
I have a 5 month old little boy who is still nursing :) I am going to the training in our area on April 7th. I have been (my husband also) trying to get Samuel to take a bottle. He outright refuses the bottle. After 15mins of screaming I give in and feed him myself. This is such a backward situation of what we had with my older two girls. One had nursing issues and the other one I was working full time and she had formula. So I have my wish a baby I don't have to give a bottle to...but now I want him to. Doing shows isn't a problem as they are normally 3hrs tops (he eats every 4hrs). The training is 4hrs (from 5pm-9pm) and it is 1 1/2 hrs from my home. So it would be over 2 or 3 feedings. What should I do..Bring him with me and hope he behaves himself (he is 5 months old and is starting to get vocal and interested in everything), leave him home and know he won't starve over a 6hr period, stay home myself. I just feel badly for the other people that will be at the training as they have invested their time away from their families to do this as well (not to hear my baby). Suggestions?

Quite honestly, I'd say you've been presented with a perfect solution to teach him to take the bottle. The only concern is whether your family can take the crying.

He won't starve in six hours, and if he gets hungry enough, he'll take the bottle. The big issue is, he's going to scream and holler for you A LOT! Your husband will have to be able to listen to that without getting frustrated, and so will your other children (though, you could have someone watch them).

I never could get my son to take a bottle, and part of the reason was because my husband is a major softie, and couldn't handle him crying. He would not let me leave long enough to create a situation where DS didn't have a choice. We survived, but I think some things would have been easier if he'd learned to take a bottle (we went straight to a sippy between 6-8 months). I'm hoping it'll be easier with this next one. DH has gotten better with his softness, he survived teaching DS to go to sleep on his own, maybe he can handle the bottle transition better this time.

Out of necessity, the baby will have to eventually take a bottle. Mine just had to learn, when mommy was at work, it was the bottle. The baby won't starve. Go get your training for the night.

PC Meeting Policies state that children are not allowed.

DebbieJ said:
PC Meeting Policies state that children are not allowed.

Yes, but from the sound of it (she said hers is from 5 pm - 9 pm?) this appears to be a training organized by someone who maybe went to the official HO one. Their rules may be different. My HD allows nursing babies at our cluster meetings, although at 5 months, it's not something I wanted to do because he was getting too active and needed too much attention.

We had one in our area that was 5-9pm and I still got the email from the HO sales team. The one I went to was during the day on a Saturday and was a bit longer but each sales leader might have a diff way of doing it.

My personal opinion is its inappropriate to bring children regardless if its allowed - its not considerate of others who didn't go to listen to fussy children (no guarantee they are going to be quiet the whole time). Only my personal opinion and not said with intentions of firing anyone up.

chefmoseley said:
I have a 5 month old little boy who is still nursing :) I am going to the training in our area on April 7th. I have been (my husband also) trying to get Samuel to take a bottle. He outright refuses the bottle. After 15mins of screaming I give in and feed him myself. This is such a backward situation of what we had with my older two girls. One had nursing issues and the other one I was working full time and she had formula. So I have my wish a baby I don't have to give a bottle to...but now I want him to. Doing shows isn't a problem as they are normally 3hrs tops (he eats every 4hrs). The training is 4hrs (from 5pm-9pm) and it is 1 1/2 hrs from my home. So it would be over 2 or 3 feedings. What should I do..Bring him with me and hope he behaves himself (he is 5 months old and is starting to get vocal and interested in everything), leave him home and know he won't starve over a 6hr period, stay home myself. I just feel badly for the other people that will be at the training as they have invested their time away from their families to do this as well (not to hear my baby). Suggestions?

Would it be at all possible to get a sitter for your older children and then have your husband and son accompany you to the meeting? I am not suggesting your husband and son attend the meeting, but just go with you. You could arrive to the location a little early, let Samuel get in a good nursing session and then you can go to the meeting and your husband and son can explore the local area. Is there a mall or shopping center near by they can go walk through? Or if it is at a hotel could they hang out in the lobby or walk the halls? By the time Samuel is hungry again your meeting should be over, so you can nurse again and then head home.

It sounds like you would have no interest in trying to get Samuel to take a bottle at all if it weren't for this one night. My suggestion may take a bit of planning and arranging to pull off, but it just may help to relieve the stress of trying to make Samuel accept a bottle after you had wished for a baby who didn't need a bottle.

I can certainly appreciate your excitement to attend DE, I can't wait for mine and it is not until May. You have to do what is right for you and your family and with in your comfort level as a mom, trust your mommy instinct. :)

Im also a nurse. You may want to pump and put breast milk in the bottle. You can express the milk on the bottle nipple and see if he will take it that way. You may have to experiment w/ nipples. Good luck.

we have been using breastmilk only in a bottle as we don't have any formula and don't have a need for it. Yes this is the only time he will be needing to take a bottle. If it weren't for this training we wouldn't be trying this. We are still trying different bottles and offering each day. If he doesn't take it my husband is coming with me and will find something to do...thanks for the help :)

chefmoseley said:
we have been using breastmilk only in a bottle as we don't have any formula and don't have a need for it. Yes this is the only time he will be needing to take a bottle. If it weren't for this training we wouldn't be trying this. We are still trying different bottles and offering each day. If he doesn't take it my husband is coming with me and will find something to do...thanks for the help :)

Have you tried any non-bottle feeders? Spoon feeders, eye dropper feeders or cup feeders? I'm not sure where someone can buy them in person, but my La Leche League leader has various non-bottle feeders parents can use when there is a breastfeeding obstacle and a bottle is just not cutting it. It might be worth a call to your local LLL to ask.

(LLL is a free support to all breastfeeding moms find your local LLL here: http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html) :)

He took a bottle tonight :) He took a quick suck and realized that there was food in this thing my hubby was holding in his mouth, next thing we knew he had downed 4oz in like 6mins! Thanks for all of your help :)

chefmoseley said:
He took a bottle tonight :) He took a quick suck and realized that there was food in this thing my hubby was holding in his mouth, next thing we knew he had downed 4oz in like 6mins! Thanks for all of your help :)

:thumbup::) Aww.. that is so cute, he figured it out! :)

Chefmoseley, are you going to the training in Southampton, PA by any chance?

Cool, me too! Too bad I don't have one of those chef success pins they've sold around conference time. I can't exactly say look for the lady with the PC logowear, lol!

1. What is the purpose of the 90 Days to Director Training?

The 90 Days to Director Training is a program designed to help Pampered Chef consultants reach the Director level within 90 days. It provides a step-by-step guide and resources to help consultants achieve their goals and grow their business.

2. How long does the 90 Days to Director Training program last?

The program is designed to be completed within 90 days, but it can vary depending on the individual's pace and commitment. Some consultants may complete it sooner, while others may take a little longer.

3. Is the 90 Days to Director Training open to all Pampered Chef consultants?

Yes, the 90 Days to Director Training is open to all Pampered Chef consultants who are interested in growing their business and reaching the Director level. It is a great opportunity for consultants at any level to learn and develop their skills.

4. What can I expect to learn from the 90 Days to Director Training?

The 90 Days to Director Training covers a variety of topics, including leadership skills, team building, goal setting, and effective communication. It also provides resources and tools to help consultants manage their business and reach their goals.

5. Is there a cost to participate in the 90 Days to Director Training?

No, there is no cost to participate in the 90 Days to Director Training. It is a free program offered by Pampered Chef to support and develop its consultants. However, there may be some optional materials or tools that consultants can purchase to enhance their training experience.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Angela Melum
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
JeannePaff
  • ahammons
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
missydivine
  • chef_kimmo