• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Can bamboo bowls be used with liquids without damaging the finish?

In summary, the host is concerned about damage to the finish on her bamboo bowls from using them with liquids, but she's found that this does not appear to be an issue. She also notes that the bamboo platters she's used have not shown any signs of wear over time, even after extensive use with liquids. Finally, she provides some additional information about bamboo that may be of interest to guests.
chefjeanine
Gold Member
I have a host who wants to be able to use her bamboo bowls with liquid items (think salsa). I was concerned that this might damage the finish and I'd end up with an unhappy customer.

I'll be calling her tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

I think I've served the pineapple salsa in it before but I cannot remember for sure. You can go online and check out the Product Information Guide.

I always put my salsa in the medium bowl and its just fine. I have noticed that the insides of my small bowls (that go with cracker tray) are looking discolored and all i have ever used them for is salsa, sour cream & cheese for the fajitas. Never submerged them in soapy water nor the dishwasher.

The edges of my one bamboo platter are not looking nice from travels to shows - I'm seeing that the bamboo is very soft.

Yes, I have had trouble traveling with the bamboo platter, also. I just rubbed some vegetable oil on it, and the dullness has not come back. You might try it, it certainly won't hurt it!

Mine is more the edges that must have hit other things. They almost look like its bamboo laminate when it starts pulling apart but I figure no big deal as I didn't think and cut my pork tenderloin on the small one - need I say more? Now I use it as the "not what to do". :(

We put cream cheese and the Spicy Pineapple-Rum Sauce and Ginger Wasabi Sauce poured over it last weekend. It was on there for several hours... No staining or problems!

Liquids are fine in the bamboo. I wouldn't store liquid in it for days at a time, but overnight for serving the next day would be fine.

Melissa78 said:
The edges of my one bamboo platter are not looking nice from travels to shows - I'm seeing that the bamboo is very soft.
Someone I spoke to at a flooring store mentioned that all bamboo products are softer now than they would be if they had been made 10 years ago. It's primarily because of the trendiness of the material. In order to meet demand, bamboo is being harvested younger, which means it's not as hard.

Interesting bit of info.

Thanks everyone.:love: I will relay this information to my guest! I did send her the use and care information but wanted to be able to share some "real life" examples.

1. What type of liquid can I put in the bamboo bowls?

Our bamboo bowls are safe to use with cold or room temperature liquids such as water, juice, or milk. However, we do not recommend using them with hot liquids as they may cause the bamboo to warp or crack.

2. Are the bamboo bowls leak-proof?

Our bamboo bowls are not completely leak-proof as they are made from a natural material. While they work well for holding liquids, we do not recommend using them for soups or any other liquid-based dishes that may spill or leak.

3. Can I put the bamboo bowls in the dishwasher?

Yes, our bamboo bowls are dishwasher safe. However, we recommend hand washing them with warm soapy water to prolong their lifespan.

4. Are the bamboo bowls microwave safe?

No, our bamboo bowls are not microwave safe. The high heat from the microwave can cause the bamboo to warp or crack.

5. How do I care for my bamboo bowls?

To care for your bamboo bowls, we recommend hand washing them with warm soapy water and air drying them thoroughly. Avoid soaking them or putting them in the dishwasher or microwave. With proper care, your bamboo bowls will last for many uses.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cheld01
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
JaimeAnnR
  • jessinthekitchen
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kreaser
  • IAmChefJ