• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cajun Seasoning - Help W/Old Recipe!

In summary, the host is not satisfied with the main dish options provided and has chosen to make a Cajun Chicken Salad, which requires a Cajun Herb Seasoning Mix. The consultant tries to dissuade the host from this recipe and asks for a substitution for the seasoning. It is suggested to call the test kitchens for a substitute and to possibly use a bread bowl for presentation. The consultant also asks for clarification on the difference between rubs and seasonings.
kam
Staff member
Shoot, I have a host who doesn't like any of my selections for "main dishes" (I have Turkey Tetrazzini, Cheeseburger Salad, California Club Pizza or Elegant Artichoke Cups as my choices).

So, she has chosen Cajun Chicken Salad (from Casual Cooking) as her choice.

ACK! First it is in a bread bowl using the old Stoneware Baking Bowl. She wanted me to use something else to create the bread bowl...but I am thinking I don't really want to get into doing a bread bowl at a show - ahead of time or not. So I said we would just put the salad in a bamboo bowl. Was I wrong to say "no" to the bread bowl?

Then I looked at the recipe for the salad and it calls for Cajun Herb Seasoning Mix.

Well, that is before my time!

Can anyone who remembers that seasoning offer a suggestion as to what we have now that I could use instead?

I REALLY tried to dissuade her from this recipe, but I got the feeling she really wants this one.

It calls for a total of 5-1/2 teaspoons! So it is not calling for a small amount where a substitution would be negligible.

HELP! PLEASE!

Call the test kitchens. They will be able to tell you what you can substitute for that seasoning....and if you wanted to you could do a bread bowl on the bottom of the DCB.

It was before my time too, but what about the Creole Rub? For the bread bowl, you can simply get a round bread at the bakery and make a bowl out of it.

BethCooks4U said:
Call the test kitchens. They will be able to tell you what you can substitute for that seasoning.

...and if you wanted to you could do a bread bowl on the bottom of the DCB.

Never knew we could call them...only email them. I didn't think of contacting them, though. Do I just call the 800 # and ask for the test kitchens?? The only problem with email is that I probably won't get a response before Monday.

I implied that the bread bowl was something she could do, but didn't get a response. I am doing the show directly after work, so I will have not much time and a lot of prep already, so I didn't really want to get into doing a bread bowl. Especially since the recipe is new to me already plus I have never done a bread bowl like that myself, so doing it in a hurry, in someone else's kitchen was not a good idea in my mind.

PamperedchefDaly said:
It was before my time too, but what about the Creole Rub? For the bread bowl, you can simply get a round bread at the bakery and make a bowl out of it.

Hmmm...I guess Creole could be close to Cajun.

NOW HERE'S ANOTHER QUESTION...
How to the RUBS compare to SEASONINGS? If the recipe calls for 1 tsp of SEASONING, would that equate to 1 tsp of RUB?

PamperedchefDaly said:
For the bread bowl, you can simply get a round bread at the bakery and make a bowl out of it.

That's what I was thinking.

To make your own bread bowl all you would need to do is turn the DCB upside down, grease the outside of the stone, shape the dough around it and bake until golden. Then carefully remove from oven, cool slightly and remove from stone.

I'd tell the host that I don't have the necessary items for the recipe and she'd have to choose a different one.

Hi there,I completely understand your hesitation with using a bread bowl at a show. It can be tricky and time-consuming to make ahead of time, and can also be messy for guests to eat out of. I think using a bamboo bowl is a great alternative that will still showcase the Cajun Chicken Salad beautifully.As for the Cajun Herb Seasoning Mix, I would recommend using our Cajun Seasoning Blend. It has a similar flavor profile and can easily be substituted in the recipe. You can also adjust the amount to your taste, as 5-1/2 teaspoons may be too much for some.In terms of the overall recipe, I would suggest making it a day ahead of time to allow the flavors to marinate and develop. This will also save you time and stress on the day of the show. You can also offer some additional toppings or add-ins for guests to customize their salads, such as diced avocado, shredded cheese, or crispy bacon.I hope this helps and that your host enjoys the Cajun Chicken Salad at her show. Remember, the most important thing is to have fun and showcase the versatility of our products. Happy cooking!

1. What ingredients are included in the Cajun seasoning?

The exact ingredients in Cajun seasoning can vary, but it typically includes a mix of spices such as paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and oregano. Some recipes may also include thyme, red pepper flakes, or other herbs and spices.

2. Is Cajun seasoning spicy?

Cajun seasoning can vary in its spiciness depending on the specific recipe and the amount of cayenne pepper used. If you prefer a milder seasoning, you can adjust the amount of cayenne pepper or use a mild variety of paprika.

3. Can I use Cajun seasoning on any type of food?

While Cajun seasoning is traditionally used on Cajun and Creole cuisine, it can also be used on a variety of other dishes such as grilled meats, roasted vegetables, soups, and stews. It adds a flavorful and spicy kick to any dish.

4. How do I store Cajun seasoning?

Cajun seasoning can be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. You can also store it in the refrigerator or freezer to prolong its shelf life.

5. Can I make my own Cajun seasoning at home?

Yes, you can make your own Cajun seasoning by combining a mix of spices and herbs according to your taste preferences. There are also many recipes available online and in cookbooks for homemade Cajun seasoning.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
DebinIA
Replies
Views
c00p
  • Paige Dixon
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies